[Samuel x Roman]

r o m a n
Roman made eye contact with Samuel in the mirror again, a slightly uncertain expression on his face. They were going to have kids — that was not a question. The question was how they would obtain them and they had never actually talked about surrogating before. Of course it was an option, if they really wanted kids that were biologically theirs and looked like them, but that raised a whole set of other issues that they would need to iron out.

"I mean, I guess we could surrogate if we wanted to, but we've both just always said that we'd adopt," Roman said to Javier, though he was still looking at Samuel in the mirror. "I mean, I've always said that I wanted to adopt, even when I was dating girls. I've got a bunch of really horrible genetic diseases that I don't want to pass on so having my own kids was never really an option for me."

If they went with the surrogate method, they could use Samuel's DNA and a female from Roman's family, probably London since she was the most closely related person to Roman in the world. But that still raised the issue of haemophilia, which was definitely from Roman's side of the family, meaning that London almost definitely carried the gene. And Roman didn't know if he would be able to go through with having a total stranger be a surrogate. He understood that it really wasn't much different to adoption, but there was something about a woman carrying Samuel's biological child that didn't sit right with Roman.

"I don't know, we'll have to talk about it some more," Roman said casually with a non-chalant shrug. He didn't want to be thinking about their fertility issues all day so he pushed it to the back of his mind and turned to Javier. "Samuel tells me you're a professional swimmer?"

Samuel felt Roman's answer summed things up pretty well. Especially with the part of talking about it some more, at some point they would probably have to sit down and have that conversation, but the time for that wasn't now, in the car with Samuel's relatives he hadn't seen in nine or so years, and he approved of Roman shifting the conversation over to something else. That is until both María and Javier laughed a little.

"Of course he told you that, he's so cute,"
María said, tone sweet but clearly amused, "You know, we should have realized you liked boys with the way you looked at Javi, when you met,"

"No okay, shut up, thought it was cool that he was getting into swimming professionally, and of course I'd fill Roman in on what you two work with," Samuel insisted, cheeks flushed red, he had never thought about it that way, but honestly, there was probably some truth to María's words, but that was not relevant now.

Javier seemed to want to be nice and spare him though and just laughed a little before answering Roman's question, "Yeah, I am, but I'm getting older, so I'll probably be retiring and fall back on coaching in a year or two,"

That was the thing with doing sports, eventually, no matter how good you were, your body just couldn't keep up with the younger people, Javier would be in his thirties now, Samuel was pretty sure. He was older than María who was five years older than Samuel. They had had Miguel pretty early, Maria had been nineteen, so it hadn't been much different from London and Evan, only they had been dating for a little while longer before that.

"Yeah maybe you're so old now I could finally beat you in a race?" Samuel joked, they were driving slower now, in between some nice little neighbourhoods, Samuel hadn't ever been to María and Javier's house, but he suspected they were almost there, meaning they would be meeting his uncle soon. His father's brother. But he was María's dad, so it would probably be okay.

"No Samuel, sorry to say, but I still got some skill left. If it helps you'll probably beat me at football without problem" Javier laughed and then continued in less joking and more normal tone, "But you do tattoo's right, Roman?"

r o m a n

Roman laughed a little when Javier and María teased Samuel and the two men joked about sports. Then the conversation turned back to Roman and he lit up with excitement.

"Yes, I'm a tattoo artist based in Melbourne," Roman said proudly. He loved talking about his profession, as he was lucky enough to be working in a field that he absolutely adored and thrived in. "I've done all of Samuel's tattoos and some of my own and find some of my work on my Instagram page." That was a shameless self-promotion but did he care? Not really.

They arrived at María and Javier's house and Roman's nerves kicked in a little. María and Javier had been very nice, Roman liked them a lot, but now they were going to be meeting more of Manuel's family and Roman couldn't help but worry a little. What if they didn't like him? What if they sported similar attitudes to Manuel? What if they hated him and disowned Samuel as well?

Roman took a deep breath and got out of the car, opening María's door to help her out first like a gentleman. He then did the same to little Miguel then went around to meet Samuel and take his hand. He refrained from kissing him or doing anything too outrageous but he figured they both needed the physical contact.

"Ready?"

"Yeah," Samuel murmured and was glad Roman had taken his hand. Without it, this would be scarier.

"It'll be fine, I've talked to them, they won't mind," María patted Samuel's back and led them up to the front door, it wasn't the biggest house, but had a nice little yard outside with plenty of pretty flowers and it was most certainly large enough for the three people living there.

Once inside Miguel right away an off somewhere before someone demanded he'd stay, and instead he was replaced by Samuel's tío Marco and his wife.

Marco looked a lot like his brother in Samuel's opinion, but also not. He was the oldest one out of the three Ortega siblings and his hair was almost completely grey at this point, although still thick, hairline barely receding. Samuel supposed he should be happy knowing that at least he wouldn't go bald early, although it seemed to be worse with the colour. Like Samuel's father, he wasn't very tall, and he had similar facial features, although, he looked a lot nicer, over the years he had added quite a lot of weight and he honestly just looked like a friendly upper middle-aged dad.

Just like his daughter, he went over to give Samuel a hug. "It's nice seeing you again, you've gotten so big, you were what? Sixteen the last time you were here? And now you're all grown up," He sighed a little pulled away but kept both hands on Samuel's shoulders, "How's your mother? I haven't heard from her in ages," Samuel wasn't sure if he didn't mention his dad out of respect or because he still was in contact with his brother. Samuel saw no reason not to assume the latter, but he ignored that.

"Oh she's doing good, she lives in Melbourne now, so I can visit her and her boyfriend more often." Marco smiled nodded and went on to go greet Roman. Roman got no hug, he got a cautious look up and down. But then a small smile and an outreached hand, he spoke in English, accent heavy and clearly struggling a little with finding the words, "you're the husband? I'm Marco, and this is my wife Isabel,"

Isabel too looked a little cautious as he peeked over at Roman after having hugged Samuel while her husband greeted the stranger. She was a little taller, with fluffy black hair, that wasn't as grey as her husbands, but getting there. Samuel supposed the makeup was what was throwing them all of a little, even if they seemed to be approving of the relationship a lot of the people in Samuel's family, not the Spanish and Australian side were very traditional, men wearing makeup wasn't something you saw on the daily. But Samuel knew Roman had restricted himself today, and he appreciated that, while still feeling okay about the amount he was wearing, because that meant they would still get introduced to the real Roman, makeup and all.

r o m a n

Marco looked so much like Manuel that Roman couldn't help but grow more worried when he saw him. The similarities were just too similar and Roman had almost worked himself into a state of panic even before they started speaking in English.

But then Roman was able to follow the conversation and Marco was being nothing but pleasant and amicable. Roman let out an unnoticeable breath, one he hadn't even known he had been holding. He noticed the looks he was receiving, of course, but both adults seemed to be making a conscious effort to be accepting and so Roman would do the same.

"It's very nice to meet you, Marco, my name is Roman." Unless you know Roman incredibly well, you would not be able to tell that he was worried at all. He gave the man a charming smile, shook his hand, and then offered his hand to Isabel. "And it's lovely to meet you, too. I love your hair."

"Oh... Thank you," Isabel grabbed a little at her hair before carefully grabbing Roman's hand, then she switched over back to Spanish, "we put on some coffee while we waited, it should be done by now,"

"That's nice," Samuel replied in English as he started to take off his shoes, once done he grabbed Roman's hand again, it couldn't be easy not only being close to someone who looked so much as someone who hurt you, especially when you didn't know them, and it couldn't be easy not understanding the language on top of it, "Do you have any tea? Roman prefers tea."

"Yeah we do, I drink more of it anyways," Javier smiled and soon everyone had moved over to the kitchen. María served everyone drinks and insisted her guests be seated, Isabel still somehow ended up helping anyways but it didn't take long and soon everyone sans Miguel were seated around the table.

"Did you have a good flight here?" Marco asked, making normal conversation. Although normally, with this many people in the room Samuel would take the backseat and not say too much, family or not, it didn't matter who it was that was just they way Samuel acted when there were a lot of people around. He realised that he had to make an effort to make sure conversation was actually happening today though, so he would do his best to talk, and hopefully, he'd get into it a little later.

"Yeah, we splurged on first class tickets, so Roman's legs would fit, but it came with the nice bonus on everything being very comfortable,"

"Yeah has anyone mentioned you're really tall?" María joked, everyone laughed, the only one who seemed to do it half-heartedly was Isabel who had been pretty quiet since they arrived, Samuel knew she didn't do all that well with English though, so it wasn't all that weird, "How often do you have people asking you if oy play basketball?"

r o m a n

"Samuel, your family are bullying me because of my height,"
Roman pretended to whine. He was obviously joking — there were a lot worse things they could be bullying him about so he would settle for this with no complains. And besides, he knew it was all in jest.

"No, I actually get asked that a lot more than you'd think, it's quite annoying," Roman said with a chuckle. He was slowly regaining his confidence back, though, he was still conducting himself carefully, toning down his usual exuberance because he didn't want to get on anyone's nerves or amplify any negative feelings being held against him. Normally Roman wouldn't care what other people thought of him, but this was Samuel's family. Samuel needed them.

He had already lost his father.

"But, no, I don't play basketball. I don't play any sport." Roman shrugged, not mentioning the haemophilia because he wasn't sure if they already knew, if Samuel had already told them.

Samuel knew he had mentioned the haemophilia to at least María, meaning Javier would know about it. The other two didn't ask why. Samuel didn't want to be judgemental by assuming they were judgemental, but Samuel doubted they imagined someone as stereotypical as Roman to be into sports.

Despite this though, they ended up having a nice time, Samuel got to caught up with four of his relatives and eventually María called Miguel down and while still shy he did try his best to communicate in English and he asked Samuel and Roman some questions about Australia and if they had ever seen a kangaroo or a koala and it was the most precious thing. Samuel was genuinely sad he wouldn't get to spend time with his cousin's kid more as he grew up.

Eventually, it got towards the early afternoon, which meant that everyone would be going over to Abuela Antonia's house, and the offer for Roman and Samuel to come along still stood apparently as María simply asked while they still were by the table in the small kitchen, "Will you be coming with us?"

And Samuel still honestly didn't know if he wanted to do still, he wanted to spend more time with his family, but he wasn't sure about his grandmother, or his father's sister and her kids who would be there too. He didn't want any unpleasant experiences during their honeymoon and he didn't want to expose Roman to them either, "I don't know, would she even want both of us there?"

"I—We'll I mean she's getting old you know, she's not as opinionated as she used to be, I think she's realised that she can't really change how the world is at this point?"

Marco nodded, "And really she might not have much time left, you don't know when you're coming here again, I wouldn't miss the chance if a was you," That sparked some emotions in Samuel. He didn't actually hate his grandmother, in fact, he had always loved her very much, what had sparked this uncertainty of her was his father using her as an excuse in court, the woman had actually never been anything but nice to him.

"Well I… Okay… I?" Samuel took a deep breath, "I think I might wanna come with, but if someone is being rude or whatever I don't think we'll stay,"

"Yeah of course," María nodded, looking hopeful, "I'll even drive you back, no problem,"

But she couldn't get too hopeful yet though, because there was still one last important detail, namely, Roman's opinion, "And I'll just go if you want to come with us, and it's okay if you don't," he gave Roman an intense look, trying to communicate to him that this part of the family might not be as accepting at all. He had explained it to him before, and Roman wouldn't have forgotten obviously, but Samuel still wanted to remind him. Because if his husband did not feel comfortable going there, Samuel wouldn't be going either.

r o m a n

María and Javier and Marco and Isabel were all lovely and Roman liked them a lot. And he simply adored cute little Miguel, whose questions he was more than happy to answer. But now he was being faced with the suggestion of going to see more of Samuel's relatives, and he felt very conflicted.

He stared at Samuel as he mulled it over in his head. On the one hand, Roman had seen the extent of Manuel's homophobia — he had felt it too — and this was the part of the family that was the most likely to reflect those attitudes. Roman didn't know if he could handle that. He usually didn't give a shit about worthless homophobes but there was something different about this particular situation that had him feeling sick to his stomach. This was Samuel's family.

But that was also the reason he wanted to go. As Marco said, they didn't know when or if they would return to the city and if something happened to Antonia, then Samuel would regret it for the rest of his life. They had come to Barcelona specifically to see Samuel's family — they could have gone anywhere in the world for their honeymoon hut they chose this city in Spain to meet these distant relatives.

And Roman just really wanted his husband to have a relationship with the family members he loved so much.

"I'll go," he said to Samuel quietly, sitting up a little straighter. "If you're going then I'm going. And we can just leave if something happens. I want you to see your family."

"Thank you," Samuel said, quietly, and then, without caring about everyone there he put a hand on Roman's cheek and pulled him in for a short but sweet kiss. No one responded negatively.

After another car ride, now in two cars and Samuel seated next to Roman in the back seat of his Tío and Tía's car instead so they could be together, they arrived at Antonia Ortega's house. This unlike María and Javier's was on the larger side, it still looked nice and homely though, and if memories served Samuel right the inside of his father's childhood home looked about himself. It wasn't only his abuela living there though, it was also his aunt, her husband and their two kids.

When they walked up the little gravel road up to the door Samuel allowed him and Roman to fall back a little, and he pulled Roman down to his level by the hand he was holding so he could say something without anyone overhearing.

"I love you, just say the word and we'll leave okay, I love you so much," Samuel couldn't stress that enough. This wasn't just a small thing he was asking of his husband, it was a lot and Samuel knew that. Hell, it might have even been a lot to just ask him to come see Marco. But Manuel had hurt Samuel too, for years, mentally scarred him for life, and disowned him, basically told him he wasn't his son, and this was going to be rough for him too, and he really needed Roman. He needed him to just be there, someone to fall back on in case something happened, someone to hold hands with when someone said or did something unpleasant. Because Samuel could not really believe this day would go by without at least a little hurt.

"Abuela! We're here," María shouted the moment they walked through the door.

Samuel gave Roman one last look of concern before stepping in, he hated that he felt that way, but a small part of him just kind of wished Roman had chosen to not wear any makeup that day, or not have chosen a pink shirt, even though he loved him in pink and that highlighter made his cheekbones sparkle beautifully. But it was just the scared part of him thinking, and it would be okay. Maybe.

The person to come into the hallway first, wasn't Antonia, no, instead it was Carmen. Manuel's younger sister by one year. Her hair was a couple of shades lighter than the others, a pretty golden-brown colour, but it was still curly, and her skin was just as tan as everyone else's. She stopped dead in the doorway, gave Samuel, Roman and their intertwined hands one look and then, "No," the word was the same as in English, Roman would understand it.

"Carmen, please, they are invited, Samuel wants to see his grandmother," Marco insisted.

She threw her hand's up in a mixture of defeat and protest, "I didn't agree to this," she said tone sharp, Samuel would be glad Roman didn't understand if he hadn't been able to pick up the tone.

Samuel wasn't sure what to do, Carmen stayed leaning on the doorframe, expression anything but happy. Marco sighed and started to take off his shoes, his wife did the same. Maria and Javier stood without moving, next to Samuel and Roman, with their son close, waiting in case any of them wanted to leave after that. They didn't have a chance to really react though, because that was the moment Antonia came walking out. She was a tiny slightly round lady. Her short curls, grey, her tan face wrinkly. She certainly looked ten years older than when Samuel had last seen her, she moved like she was ten years older too, slowly, but did not need aid walking it seemed.

She seemed to take note of Samuel before Roman. She smiled. That was something at least. Samuel would have walked up to her, but he didn't want to let go of Roman's hand, so he didn't and Antonia walked up to him instead. She held her arms out for a hug. Samuel hugged her, then she kissed each one of his cheeks, "God Samuel, I cannot believe that is you. You're all grown up, and so very handsome as well,"

"Thank you, grandma,"
Samuel managed a chuckle, "I've missed you," that was true, he had missed his family in Spain, he used to spend at least a couple of weeks there every other summer when he still lived with his parents. But cutting ties with his dad had also meant cutting ties with his family here without even realizing. He pulled away from the hug and looked at her for a moment, and then, "I have someone I want to introduce you too."

With that Antonia finally looked at Roman, then she glanced over at her oldest, and only present son, Marco gave her a look Samuel found hard to read. But it seemed clear that the family had discussed this before. After that look though, Antonia turned back to her grandson and nodded.

"Roman this is mi abuela, Antonia" Samuel took a deep breath and looked at his grandmother, there was a frown present on her wrinkly face, her face that Samuel had always seen as kind growing up but that Samuel now desperately had to look for any approval in, "Grandma, this is my husband, Roman, he doesn't know Spanish but I'll translate for you, okay?"

Now all Samuel could do was squeeze Roman's hand a little, hoping things were okay. Hoping he'd be able to greet the mother of the man who had put him in the hospital all those years ago, and look past the fact that there was doubt about the fact that this woman was a homophobe, no matter if she had given up on making a fuss about it.

r o m a n

Roman really bed that last minute reminder. "I love you too," he whispered, feeling like he really needed to say it because there was a high chance this wouldn't go well. He already felt sick to his stomach, and he almost wanted to go back to the hotel, but he had made the commitment to come here for his husband and he was going to follow through with it. So, he squeezed his husband's hand and squared his shoulders as they faced the house.

And it turned out that he had really needed his husband's reassurance because that initial rejection from Carmen hit him like a ton of bricks. Had he not been holding Samuel's hand he might have turned around and left. He wasn't upset because she didn't like him, he was upset because she was Samuel's family and she was rejecting him in a similar way to Manuel.

There was a flurry of Spanish and Carmen seemed to accept them being here, though she did so very grudgingly. Then Antonia, Samuel's grandmother, came into the room. This was Manuel's mother, the woman he had attributed his attitudes to all those years ago in court. Roman felt his anxiety pick itself up again but managed to contain it as Samuel reunited with the elderly lady.

It came time for introductions and Roman felt like he was going to throw up. He desperately searched Antonia's face for any sort of positive emotions and deflated a little when he found none. This needed to go well or Samuel would feel terrible and then Roman found feel terrible as well, and this was meant to be their perfect honeymoon where nothing bad was allowed to happen.

But despite his nerves and despite his mild fear of the woman, he held out one long hand in an attempt to be polite. He was acutely aware of how his long nails were painted back, and how the back of his pale hand was gently sparkling due to the highlighter that had fallen off his brush when he had been applying it that morning. And suddenly, he was acutely aware of his whole appearance, how he was wearing pink and a cherry blossom jacket and how bold his eyeliner was and how his piercings were catching the light and how feminine all his tattoos are and suddenly, he wanted to tear off his skin and sink into the floor and disappear.

"It's very nice to meet you, Antonia, my name is Roman."

Samuel looked at his grandmother, searching for something in her expression. Searching for the happy old lady he had grown up knowing, back when her skin wasn't as wrinkly and her hair dark and black. Samuel remembered coming spending the summers here when he was little and every time being astonished by the fact that that he looked like the people there, of course, he looked like his mother and his cousins back in Australia too, in terms of facial features, but a six-year-old didn't think of that. Of course, he never really remembered it bothering him, but he had always gotten this nice and homely feeling from it.

Today that wasn't necessarily the case, it just kind of reminded him of his dad now that they all were together, because the last time they were together his dad has been there, he had been there, and he had greeted everyone with warm hugs and Carmen had not been glaring in the doorway. And his grandmother had not been hesitating to give anyone a hug.

Finally, Antonia took his hand and she shook it, all while smiling. It wasn't a huge smile, Samuel wasn't even sure if it was genuine, but it was some kind of effort, and sometimes that was the first step. He had seen it with his mum, she hadn't been comfortable with Roman at first, but then again she hadn't hated him for everything he represented either. She hadn't minded the makeup and nails and all of that, just that her son was dating him.

"It's nice to meet you too," she said in Spanish, the woman barely spoke word of English, Samuel translated, "she said it's nice to meet you," and he smiled reassuringly to Roman, trying to tell him that this was okay.

Antonia let go of Roman's hand fairly quickly and turned back to Samuel, "Can you guess what we're having for dinner?"

"No grandma?"

"Paella," Antonia smiled warmly at her grandson, "Just like I made you when you were little," That warmed Samuel's heart and he smiled back at her, brightly what she just said, really made him happy.

Then Antonia moved on to give the rest of the Family proper greetings while Samuel and Roman took off their jackets and shoes, she gave both Javier and Isabel hugs and Samuel knew it wasn't because Roman was a stranger.

She wasn't going to try to accept Roman, or their relationship, but she seemed to be able to overlook it to have some kind of relationship with her grandson. Samuel both hated and loved that. He hated it because just wanted his family to accept them, and he wanted for Roman to be able to be comfortable. But he loved it because it meant his grandmother was willing to look over her personal morals because she loved him, unlike Carmen who seemed to refuse.

As the rest of them started moving to the kitchen Samuel held Roman back, and waited for a moment or two until he couldn't see anyone. It wasn't like he hadn't been able to pick up on Roman's discomfort, it was the little things, the lightly tighter grip on his hand and hearing his breathing grow a little quicker. Anxiety was something you had to take seriously with Roman and Samuel did not want to jeopardize his husband's mental health for this.

"Roman are you okay?
" He asked very quietly, "I'm serious when I say we can leave, alright? Don't just say you want to stay for me. If you need to leave we'll leave,"

r o m a n

Antonia did not accept him, but she didn't flat out reject him, either. Clearly, he was allowed to stay, but he wasn't wanted there. That was better than he had anticipated.

There was more Spanish and Roman took that time to ground himself and try and fight off the anxiety that threatened to swallow him whole. He was allowed to stay, he reminded himself. No one was going to hurt him and no one was going to throw him out. This was going to help Samuel, this was going to help him have a relationship with his family and they all needed that. So, he was going to stick this out.

Samuel appeared to read his mind and asked him if he was okay. "I'm fine," was Roman's response, even though it wasn't very convincing. Roman inhaled deeply and ran his fingers through his hair, then looked down at his gorgeous husband and risked a kiss to the top of the head.

"Really. I'll be fine. I'll tell you if it gets too much, okay? I love you."

Last edited by a moderator:
"I love you too," Samuel murmured and he let go of Roman's hand only to put his arm around his waist, that way they'd be closer, it was like a constant hug almost, without being too outrageous and could most of the people there handle the hand holding they could handle Samuel just holding his husband close, "It means a lot that you're here, I hadn't realized how much a missed them, but I wouldn't have been able to come here without you,"

He pressed a kiss to Roman's shoulder and lead him into the kitchen where the others were already getting seated. It was a little larger, big enough for all people present in the room to fit around it and then some, which Samuel supposed was needed because Carmen's kids and husband were somewhere in the house, Samuel could hear them over in another room and he wondered if Carmen was even going to let Samuel see them.

Samuel sat down with Roman, María sat down next to Roman so he'd have someone else he could tell if they needed to leave next to him. Marco sat down next to Samuel so he wouldn't have to sit next to Carmen. That lead Carmen and Antonia to be seated across from them though, and Samuel had no idea if he liked that. Isabel and Javier waited with getting seated and made sure everyone had their preferred warm drink in front of them, they probably recognized that this was a kind of tense moment for the family.

Antonia just rambled on about how nice it was to have so many of them there at once, she wasn't really acknowledging Roman at all, but that was better than being hostile. Carmen was still glaring at the both of them, but Samuel kept his arm around Roman's waist in an attempt to make him calmer. He also softly mumbled translations of what his grandmother was saying, so he could keep up with the conversation.

But then she looked specifically at Samuel and said, "You look so much like your father did at your age," Samuel did not want to translate that, instead he just stared at her blankly, stomach twisting uncomfortable, he didn't know how to react to that, "Except the glasses, you must have gotten the bad sight from your mother,"

"Mum," Marco tried to inflict, he seemed decent enough to realize Manuel wasn't someone they should mention right now and Samuel had no idea why he hadn't expected him to be.

"No but he does, doesn't he?" the elderly woman insisted, "Very handsome,"

"I think you look a lot like your mum, actually," María insisted, in English, so their grandmother wouldn't be able to argue, but it also revealed what had been said to Roman, "It's just the pigmentation throwing it off,"

r o m a n

Usually, Roman wouldn't have cared about the family speaking Spanish in front of him. He was used to it with Samuel and Gabi, and even he sometimes had full conversations in French with London. But this was different because his anxiety was making him paranoid, and he couldn't help but assume that what was being said was negative. This assumption seemed to be affirmed when Samuel refrained from translating something that Antonia said.

But then María responded in English and it turned out that they were just discussing Samuel's apparent resemblance to his father. That wasn't too bad. Roman looked at his husband and found that he agreed with María — he felt that Samuel's facial features were similar to that of Susan, but he had inherited his colouring from his father. And that wasn't a bad thing, Samuel was absolutely gorgeous and Roman had utterly no complaints about his husband's looks.

Roman sipped his tea and squeezed Samuel's hand under the table, both to reassure himself and his husband. He didn't have much to contribute to the conversation and even if he did, he wouldn't have said anything because he knew that half the people in the room didn't want him there at all.

Roman turned and looked up at Javier and Isabel in the kitchen. "Do you need help with anything?" he asked in an almost inaudible voice. He was desperate for something to do, something to distract himself from the painful tension of the room.

Javier seemed to hesitate a little, but Samuel gave him a discreet nod, Roman needed a distraction, and messing around in the kitchen was something he was used to, if that would help Roman should be allowed to.

So, Javier said, "Sure, will you help cut up some vegetables?" with a smile, then he turned to Isabel and told her what he had asked him to do, and she nodded and smiled at Roman as well.

"The paella just need to be reheated in the pan," it was quite obvious that they were trying to help the older woman as much as possible, making sure she didn't overwork herself, it was sweet of the spouses of, "It's in the fridge," Isabel nodded and got to that while Javier started to get the things Roman would need to help out of the cupboards since he wouldn't find his way around the kitchen himself.

Samuel was glad there were people there willing to try to make Roman comfortable as well at least, and at that point Samuel was starting to feel like he didn't need Roman's hand to constantly hold, sure it would be nice to have but he'd rather Roman get the distraction he needed, so he patted his back a little to urge him to go help with the salad.

Neither Carmen nor Antonia objected to Roman helping. Carmen seemed to be promptly ignoring what was going on and Antonia was busy continuing to talk about old family memories in again. Samuel was a little more focused on Roman though, as Javier quietly asked him to get started with the tomatoes.

r o m a n

Roman rose from his seat and went to help out in the kitchen. As soon as he put some distance between himself and the biological members of the Ortega family, excluding Samuel of course, he felt a lot better. They were still there, but he was out of their immediate line of scrutiny and that was exactly what he needed.

Roman got to work, cutting up all the ingredients that Javier had extracted from the cupboards for him and placing them in the bowl. Roman hated salad, it was his worst nightmare with all the mixed flavours, but he would eat it regardless because the last thing on his to-do list was to upset Antonia or any other member of the Ortega family.

Once they had finished the salads, Roman stood aside and let Javier and Isabel work on plating the meal. He didn't want to try and do it and then do it wrong, because that would likely annoy a lot of people. So, he waited until all the plates had been loaded with food.

Somehow, Carmen was the last one with a plate so Roman had to serve her. She seemed to be the most disapproving of him and Roman was nervous. Regardless, he set the bowl down with a timid smile, ran a hand through his hair awkwardly, and turn back to the bench.

When Roman placed the food in front of Carmen all Samuel wanted was for her to at least say a thank you out of politeness, but of course, she didn't. Samuel honestly just felt angry she couldn't just be a little decent, maybe little sad too, but mostly angry.

"Carmen," María said, once Roman was back by the bench, "Aren't Lucía and Andrea eating too? And Felipe?"

Carmen gave her niece a look that almost was a glare, "no there's no need to bother them, they can eat later," she replied in Spanish, she seemed hell-bent on excluding Roman, and right now she seemed irritated at María as well, it seemed like she had been planning on just not calling her children to the table to have them interact with Samuel and Roman as little as possible.

"Don't be silly," Marco said, also in Spanish, but Samuel suspected it was out of habit and to keep on Carmen's good side rather than to be rude to Roman, "of course they should eat with us, it's not every day everyone is here,"

"Everyone isn't here," Carmen said sharply and suddenly everyone was quiet. Samuel knew who was missing, he knew all too well and for the first time in years, he felt guilty about having a part in what happened to his dad. Even though it was no one's fault but his own.

"Will you go get the kids, Javi?" María broke the silence, her husband nodded and before he left he urged Roman to go back to his seat. When he was back Samuel right away grabbed his hand and gave it a little squeeze, both to tell him he was doing good and because he needed the comfort after the room got even tenser all of a sudden. Samuel decided it was better if Roman didn't know why, so he didn't translate. He promised himself to tell him all the things he hadn't translated later though, Samuel didn't want to keep things from him, he just knew that Roman knowing that part of why Carmen was upset was because her brother wasn't there wouldn't ease his anxiety at all.

No one spoke while Javier went to get the kids and Carmen's husband, the silence was thick, but it didn't take long before a man in his fifties with brown hair and slightly lighter skin than the rest of the people in the room, although for from as light as Roman, came in with his two daughters, Samuel's cousins in a tow. They had gotten so big since Samuel last had seen them. Lucía was fifteen, Andrea twelve. They had been six and three last time he was there. They both looked over at him with big hazel eyes, they looked a lot alike, both with their mother's golden-brown curls and slim figures.

Samuel felt like Lucía and Andrea coming into the kitchen was a good thing. He knew Roman liked kids, and this was a younger generation, younger generations tended to be more accepting. Plus, Lucía was a teenage girl and teenage girls loved Roman, that was almost like a rule.

They took their places at the dinner table, along with Filipe who sat down next to his wife and kissed her cheek, Carmen smiled for the first time since Samuel and Roman arrived and Samuel remembered that when she wasn't scowling his aunt was a very pretty woman. Lucía and Andrea didn't say anything but Lucía gave a little wave in Samuel and Roman's direction and Samuel smiled back at her, he could introduce Roman to them in a minute or two after they had properly started their meal.

"Everyone's here? No one's leaving?" Antonia said, she might be old but in being the oldest she had also seemed to have kept her authority over the family she had had since her husband had died, "Okay, Let's say grace before we eat,"

In the midst of everything, Samuel had almost forgotten the religion was the root of the homophobia in the Ortega family. He didn't want to offend his family by saying Roman didn't have to pretend to partake for their sake, he knew what Roman's stance on these kinds of things was, he wanted no part of it. Samuel didn't mind it though, he had grown up with it and while he hated the discrimination he, his husband, and plenty of their friends had faced because of religion, things like this filled him with a sense of nostalgia.

"We're saying grace before dinner," Samuel explained quietly and looked at Roman, just waiting for him to either refuse or partake, Samuel would support him no matter what but he knew being firm with his atheism would alienate him more than he already was in this religious household.

Last edited:
r o m a n

There was another intense conversation in Spanish and Roman knew it must have been bad because Samuel neglected to translate it for him. He knew he would be informed later, and he was honestly grateful to his husband for not letting him in at the moment. It wouldn't help him at all to know what they were talking about if it was so negative.

Roman politely smiled at the two girls and one man who returned to the room with Javier. He wasn't sure where the newcomers stood on his marriage with Samuel, or homosexuality in general, but he was going to try to be polite to them regardless. It wouldn't do well to make a bad impression with even more people, considering that most of the people here were upset by his presence already.

Then suddenly it was time to say grace. Roman was about to get up from the table and leave, or at least say that he wouldn't be participating. He hated religion, and in this family, religion was the cause of all their negative feelings towards himself and his husband. He wanted no part of religious ceremonies under any circumstances.

But ... if he refused, it would cause them all even more problems and it was likely that the members of the Ortega family would grow to dislike him even more. It was clearly important to them all, especially Antonia, whose opinion he valued the most.

So, he just shrugged at Samuel. "I'll be fine," he said, before turning back to the head of the table to await he commencement of the prayers.

"kay," Samuel murmured and as Antonia started the prayers Samuel made sure to rub his thumb along the back of Roman's hand as he held it. In a way he was glad the prayers were in Spanish, it spared Roman from hearing them and hopefully, that meant he could put some mental distance between himself and the words.

Samuel wasn't religious anymore either, obviously, so he took the moment to reflect a little over his family's relationship with the matter. Or well, he wondered who of the people at the table believed that he and his husband would go to hell for being together. Carmen probably. He wasn't sure about Antonia, she was just keeping her opinions to herself right now after all. And Marco, he was nice, yeah, but he could still have that belief.

He knew it didn't matter since hell wasn't real, but it was still a very unpleasant thought that his aunt wanted eternal suffering for him and his husband.

Soon enough the prayers were over and Antonia smiled at everyone at the table and said, "Let's eat then,"

"We can eat now," Samuel murmured pressed a kiss to Roman's cheek. It had been a long time since he had felt scared about doing something like that in front of people. But he just needed Roman to know how much he appreciated him for suffering through that for him. And for suffering through Carmen's anger, and Antonia's ignoring him.

Before he could get to taste the paella, that he was dying to see if it tasted just like he remembered, he noticed two curious eyes on him and Roman though and he remembered that he wanted to introduce Roman to his cousins. And Filipe, he started with him.

"Oh right, Roman, This is Filipe, he's Carmen's husband, " Felipe just gave Roman a nod and a stiff smile, he seemed to be taking his wife's side in this, or maybe he wholeheartedly disagreed with their existence, it wasn't like the Ortegas had married any hardcore atheists. Except for Samuel of course.

Samuel held back a sigh and moved on to his cousins, "and this is Lucía," he gestured to the older sister, "and Andrea," he gestured to the younger. "Andrea, Lucía, this is my husband, Roman," After Felipe, he didn't have high hopes of acceptance, but it seemed like he was about to be pleasantly surprised.

"Hey, are you wearing highlighter?" Lucía asked Roman, there was nothing negative about her tone and Samuel couldn't help but to notice that she possibly had the best accent of anyone there, it sounded vaguely American, with some small traces of the Spanish left.