Roseguard University for Specialized Humans

• Thread starter sinister-cephalopod
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gwen looked around for Kiera, Jun and Diana, her partners aside from Jax, whom she was standing right next to. She smiled slightly when Jax squeezed her hand in reassurance. When Kiera had questioned her being partnered with her, she frowned but smiled softly when the headmistress praised her for being respectful and not easily tread on. She listened intently to the headmistress and other students of Roseguard talking amongst each other.

"You are scheduled to leave in forty eight hours, which is ample time for you to pack and prepare for your mission," the Headmistress spoke, answering Holly's question before setting a stack of files down on the table, "these are the case files, along with undercover operatives within Roanoke's population and police force as well as mutant friendly persons in case of emergency." The Headmistress brought a map up on the screen, visualizing their route. "Agent Crawford will teleport you and Agent Lundy to Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport in Alaska. From there you will fly three and a half hours to the Portland International Airport, which will send you to Salt Lake City International, from there you go to O'Hare International which will take you to the McGhee Tyson airport hub in Tennessee. In total, it's roughly ten hours of flying without counting layover time or flight reroutes. Your belongings will be shipped to Roanoke before you arrive, so the only thing you should bring is a carry on with a few changes of clothes, personal products, and any medication. You are allowed a second carry on for any entertainment devices or snacks you would like on the plane. Agent Yaxley, the mutant who runs and maintains the bunker, will meet you there and drive you to the bunker, which is almost a four hour car ride. You'll be separated into three vans, I'll leave it up to you to decide seating arrangements. While the drive might not be pleasant, it will prevent anyone from predicting your final destination more so than if we sent you to an airport closer to the bunker. I will be giving each of you a debit card connecting to an off branching Rosegaurd account; these are to be used for basic necessities only, that means food, health products, and basic clothing if something happens to the clothes you packed. Please give all receipts to Agent Lundy after your purchases. You will all be given power cancelling cuffs for the duration of the trip to prevent any accidents from happening around large populations of non-mutants. The cuffs only activate when it feels a pulse, so if you run into an emergency, they can be removed and later put back on. Before you leave, you will have a microchip implanted in case you get lost or kidnapped, with it, we'll be able to track your location via satellite. The microchip is resistant to almost anything, making it theoretically indestructible. When you return, you can choose whether you want it removed. Does anyone have any questions?" the Headmistress finished.

Being the happy helper she's known for, Holly immediately collected the pile of files into her arms and carefully walked around the room, passing them out to her friends. It kept her moving, kept her hands and feet busy while she listened and glanced at the overhead of the map their Headmistress pointed to. As always, the plans were all set for them. Extra means to alter or detour their plans were also in place, just in case they had to cancel the case before they even started.

Roseguard knew how to set everything just so, like another day in the park for them - so simple even your pet lizard can do it. But nothing works out as it is planned and there's always someone or something out there willing to guarantee that happens. Holly didn't mind the missions all that much; getting off campus anythings are the best things about Roseguard. But...again her thoughts went back to her typical worries. She questioned about the new members and their abilities - if they were ready for such a serious mission. But, in all actuality, she was more worried about herself.

Rubbing the back of her neck, she could still feel the slight bump at the base of her skull. Today, it didn't hurt and it wasn't swollen. That's why the evening went well for her. It was those moments, the ones where she has no control of her little pet, that worried her; when her days are full of pain and confusion, and she becomes a distraction or a danger to her team...her friends... That's what she was concern about. Was she ready for this? Last year she had a big scare that forced herself to reconsider her place at Roseguard, but her instructors and Headmistress refused for her to give up, for she's progressed so well. Nevertheless, Holly worried... it was just a part of her over-analytical nature.

Standing between Jun and Cult now, she scanned through the folders and listened closely, soaking in all the information she could for the moment. When the Headmistress was finished, asking if they had any questions, Holly kept her lips shut then. She had tons of questions, but decided not to express them at that time... Now wasn't the time.

Kiera pursed her lips and took the file, looking it over as she listened to the Headmistress speak. The part about the power cuff and the microchip made Kiera bite her lip. The cuff wasn't a slight against her, Kiera had a measure of control over her powers and they were fairly stable. Well, she hadn't figure it all out yet but she wasn't going to explode or anything on the plane. The microchip disturbed her more. At the very least RUSH would be able to locate her body... a thought that Kiera wasn't comfortable with. She didn't even like the idea that they would be putting a microchip into her. She'd definitely remove it at the first chance. If she was given it because of her history.

Kiera shut the folder and glared quietly at the Headmistress. She didn't like any of it, but she'd shut up and do what she was told. It was a 'good' thing to do, even if it was poorly thought out. Kiera snorted at the idea that maybe they'd run out of trained operatives and needed to hire the Scooby Gang to solve their mystery for them.

"No? Very good. You leave in two days, be prepared when Crawford and Lundy come for you at that time," the Headmistress instructed, tapping away on her tablet before departing the conference room without a goodbye.

Ava sat, flipping through the case files, a little bit in shock at how quickly the conference had begun and ended. The case files were, unfortunately, very slim. Other than the IDs of the victims, their backgrounds, and the crime scenes, there wasn't much information there. There were a few interrogations with family members and friends, which weren't very insightful.

"Well... This certainly is a mood dampener, huh?" Crow sighed, fingers coiled in his hair as he too, poured over a file. It seemed a bit insane that they'd gone from cheery birthday party one minute, to super serious murder investigation the next.

Kiera nodded at Crow's comment on the mood and said, "you'd think her two super special agents would get more. Like an autopsy report or even cause of death. Looks like we're going to have to pay a visit to the coroner."

At least they had crime scene photos. That was something to start with. Kiera tried to remember all the police procedurals that she'd watched and tried to think like Sherlock Holmes. They would need to find something in common... even the method of murder would be helpful.

"So, I know it going to get thrown out the window because I was bitchy at the Headmistress, but we need to send Lundy and a few people to see the coroner. They'll listen to an adult. Then we need someone to look at the crime scenes. Another group can handle it, and we can have Charlotte be in charge of looking for patterns in the victims. Since she can't go anywhere, she'll be able to focus more than us. It's an important job, but we shouldn't let her sit alone in the bunker either. That's lame. Any other ideas oh, glorious leader?"

Relieved the headmistress had finally left, Jun let out a yawn and stretched out like a cat.

"Well, it dampened the party for sure. They could really work on their timing. But hey, we got a mission, right?" Jun wasn't too downbeat about it. She was a little excited about their new adventure. Either she didn't understand the severity of the fact they were doing a murder investigation, didn't care, or was just pretending to not care. "Nothing useful in the file, huh?"

"Hey, bitchin' at her won't lose you any points in my book," Jun laughed as Kiera spoke. "But sure, sure, that sounds alright."

"Please, don't call me that... Anyway, Lundy is unauthorized to leave the bunker, remember? I think that getting one of the mutant officers to speak with the coroner would be a better idea, because I think you're right about them not wanting to release case information to minors," Ava said, "as for Charlie, I think having her stay behind would be best, considering she'll be able to connect all of us, which will probably take some practice, but I have full faith in her abilities." Ava smiled at Charlotte quickly before continuing. "As for the crime scenes... Crow, is there any chance one of their spirits could be present at the crime scene?"

Crow thought for a minute before replying, "Yeah, but it all depends on what the person was like before they died. If they have loose ends they're more likely to go ghost than others, but if they're especially traumatized by their death, they might not even remember their previous life."

Ava nodded, "Then you and a partner will go check those out, okay?" Crow gave a thumbs up and swiveled in his chair, unable to keep still. Ava chewed the inside of her cheek and pondered what other steps they should take. If they were lucky, they might be able to get the coroner to agree for them to take a peek at the bodies...

Charlotte sighed, she was less than happy about being votred to stay boxed up throughout the time. She didn't bother reading the file, instead just listening to someone read it in their head with her abilities. She would much prefer to be out on the field, especially when they got to the point of taking the suspects down. That fight, if it happened, would be something she wouldn't miss for the world. However, even she could se some reason in the decision, although heavily disliked it. "I can keep us all in contact, but I am not staying in that underground pen 24/7." She said, mainly to Ava as she remained stood leaning on the wall, hands in pockets.

"Crow, you should totally take me with you to the crime scenes. I'm not exactly helpful there, but man I wanna see spirits or... worst case I'm a half decent liar. Also, we should definitely pro use vengeance. Ghostly favors tend to be nicer than people favors." Kiera stood up and stretched, much like Jun did shortly before her.

"Also, I'm going to break the rules with Charlotte as much as possible. That means that I'm more than willing to piss off the Headmistress and take the heat for ta king you out of the bunker. Not to mention that I have a trick or two up my sleeve to keep you safe. Now, if our leader isn't going to bother with any details, I'm going to go pack and get ready to go ASAP. Serial killers don't stop killing unless there's a reason, so I'm assuming we don't know how soon the next victim is going to become very dead."

With that, Kiera stood and moved to the doorway, leaning against it as she waited for Ava to say something. If you asked the her, the Headmistress was nuts for letting the girl who hated to be called the leader be the one in charge.

"What? No, no, Kiera, you're not partnered with Crow, if you want to see the crime scene you'll have to take one of your partners out with you. I won't have people running off to do whatever here! This is dangerous and the Headmistress set up the partnerships to protect us and to give us the best advantage," Ava huffed, "And I want everyone to come to me first before leaving the bunker, and If I say no, you can't leave. I want every major decision run past me first, because I don't want anyone getting hurt or worse, okay?" Ava was already beginning to feel stressed out, but she had to keep control of everyone, especially Kiera. "Charlotte I know you don't want to be kept inside all the time but for the most part that's how it's going to have to be. If you get hurt or the link breaks, we'll all be on our own. Cellphones are dangerous for mutants in general, and we don't know how our killer finds their victims, so cellphones can't be used until we're sure it's safe."

Charlotte smirked, standing up from leaning on the wall and heading towards the door. Before she left however she said nothing, but instead gave Ava a nice telepathic message. "Good luck with all that." She said, the voice Ava heard in her head completely matching Chrlotte's facial expression of a smirk as she headed out of the door. She looked at Kiera as she walked out, a look telling the girl who offered to help her that said "come on, let's go". Once out, she walked down the hall a bit before looking back at Kiera, thinking she might as well get to know the girl a bit better and all.

"First of all, Ava. I just came up with a better plan. Second of all," Kiera stepped forward, her casual grin sliding into an open challenge. "She put with those people because there is one thing I won't do and that's just let people walk all over me. I'm done playing that part now, and you're not cut out for the role. You'd better start leading and stop playing to what the Headmistress says. Free piece of advice, oh glorious leader, everyone has agendas. They want them fulfilled no matter the cost."

With that Kiera left, huffing at Ava's 'leadership'. Maybe it'd cost her down the line, but she'd tried it the stealthy way before at it didn't work. So now she wasn't going to sit still and quiet like the good little poor girl. If Ava wanted to lead, then she could first stop kissing the Headmistress's... well regardless those rules were put in place for monitoring. She'd follow some but not all.

"So, why don't mutants and cell phones mix, because I've used a cell phone fine before. Is it because of electric powers or maybe strength stuff? Because I know how to manage my powers fine. Did on my own for years," Kiera asked, seriously curious. Charlotte was nice, but Ava spent too much time not thinking on her own feet to qualify.

Kiera wasn't stupid though, there wasn't a single chance for Charlotte to have fun but at the same time she understood. The other girl was the communications hub, but she wasn't a robot. A task to do and some fresh air once in a while would help the girl. Besides, while she liked Jun, she didn't trust her other partner. She needed time to allow trust into the situation, having lived amongst people who cared little about people beneath their gaze and class for long enough. Nobody was rich, but at the same time she didn't know them yet.

"But if we do sneak you out, we need to let your real partner know and what time we'll be back. Just in case we do run into trouble and can't get out of it. I'll use it for me and my partners as well. I'd rather stay alive, but if someone knows you're missing it's easier to find you."

Holly stood there and watched, listened, shook her head as Kiera and Charlotte left the room. It was a typical scenario - new members of the group conflicting with others, but before a mission!

"That's what I was worried about." Holly crossed her arms and stepped closer to Ava. "But, we'll all have to attempt to work through this in order to keep everyone alive and succeed. So, how are we gonna do that now?" She really hated conflict, especially among her friends - old and new. She wanted to come up with a way to resolve all of their problems before they left for the mission.

Man, it seemed like nobody could get along here. That'd be a bit of a pain. She totally got Charlotte, Jun would probably kill herself rather than stay cooped up 24/7. But if they took off on their mission like this, they were pretty much guaranteed to fail.

"I getcha, Kiera. Taking orders without question and stuff ain't my style either. And I don't really know why Ava is the leader either. But we're not gettin' anywhere if we don't at least do something simple like stick to our partners. You won't need to go around with anyone else s'long as I'm here, alright? I'm fast, I can be in a few places at once. That okay?"

Jun just wanted to be able to go on the mission soon. It was a chance to show off her skills, and a bunch of people who couldn't get along weren't gonna get in the way of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.