His sparkling eyes and eagerness ended as quickly as they began, instead being replaced with a sharp glare and a scowl under his mask. Rolling his eyes, it was evident on just how quickly his mood could change by the fact that he was now wearily leaning his head against the edge of the carriage.

"Why must you be so bitter over everything? I'm giving you an amazing opportunity. You're mad about your situation yet you get angry when given the opportunity to grow out of said situation? That makes no sense. Look, I apologize for touching you. Look how pathetic I am, apologizing to a human, but I mean it," he admitted with a murmur. "Just stick to the plan."

"Maybe I'd rather stay in my shitty little situation than be paraded about whilst holding onto the arm of a monster? Maybe that's it? Or did that pass you by? And yet somehow I'm the stupid one of of us two. You can't even work that out, but you're the supposedly more advanced one. Right. Sure you are," he responded sarcastically, his own body pressed back against the seat, just as rigid as he was before, if not more than before after the touching incident. He was obviously far more on edge now, though he knew he probably ought to get over that if he was supposed to spend most of the night glued to the vampire's side. It was easily a nightmare for him, but an unavoidable one he just had to cope with.

"...I don't want to share the same city as you, let alone the same room. It's not even because you're a vampire; I just don't like your personality, your pathetic sense of humour or your face, frankly. I don't like you, you clearly just want me around to use me as a fucking performing toy. How about you don't talk to me? Surely we'll both feel better if we don't talk?" He continued, straightening up and changing his focus onto the view outside the window. Admittedly, he was enjoying the moment more than he cared to admit. Getting an apology from vampires was borderline impossible; it was like squeezing blood from a stone. The fact he had one and then proceeded to sternly lecture the other was... enjoyable, so much so a small smirk pulled on his lips and remained there for a few seconds.

"You do realize that I could pull that pretty little tongue of yours right out of your mouth? In fact, that might be a good idea. I don't need you to talk, after all," he commented with a scoff as he tapped his nails on his leg. Shooting him a glance, he rolled his eyes once again.

"I'm being nice to you, like an idiot. The difference Is, until you show off your... thing, you're just another human. Marcia Marsh, the head of the Southern Territory will slit your throat in a second if you even dare to say something out of line. I like you, you're... feisty, but no one else gives a shit. Remember that."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: potassiumboron
"What's her name? Marcia Marsh? That's possibly the dumbest name I've heard. I'm all for alliteration, but damn," he snorted under his breath, the insult being deliberate just to show that he didn't care... or at least to give the impression he didn't. He wasn't stupid enough to say that to the woman's face, but he had no problem doing it behind her back with someone who wasn't going to kill him. At least, he was sure Brutus wouldn't kill him off until Koda showed his immunity to the vampires at the ball. After that, he wasn't sure if he would be of any more use to him, so he was going to make the most of saying what he wanted, just in case he was killed shortly after the ball.

"...You don't like me, don't try to butter me up-- I'm not going to embarrass you, alright? You don't need to force compliments down my throat to ensure I don't make a fool out of you. I appreciate your honesty, really. I may not like being called stupid and ugly, but I'd rather hear that than fake ass compliments. I'll be on my best behaviour-- I'm not so stupid that I'd jeopardise this and get killed for it," he shrugged, folding his arms over his chest with a roll of his eyes. "And the empty threats are stupid too. You aren't going to pull my tongue out before the ball. After it, maybe, but not before it."

"... just shut the fuck up," he grumbled after a moment of silence as the cart continued down the road. "Let's just sit in silence and be all bitter because you just want to make everything boring and sad," he grumbled bitterly as he stared forward, his eyes narrowed bitterly. It wasn't until he approached the large mansion that overlooked a drop right into the sea below.

The first face to answer the door was the aforementioned Marcia without a mask. Why would she when she was the host? Staring down at the two from her high heels, she slowly smiled upon seeing Brutus.

"Ah, hello~!" She cooed, her arms out. Brutus easily accepted the hug and in fact, held the hug for a moment and only moved away when the woman patted the other lightly to let go. "Ah... this is your human, then? He's very average though I'm sure you have your reasons for him."

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-19_20-20-6.jpg
    upload_2018-8-19_20-20-6.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 8
Being constantly called average by Brutus was bad enough. He didn't necessarily believe a word of what the vampire said, of course, but it did knock his confidence to constantly hear that he was ugly and far from pretty, even compared to other humans. Hearing that from a complete stranger like Marcia didn't give his confidence a boost, either, though he wasn't greatly bothered by it. Sure, it was annoying and mildly upsetting to hear that he was ugly or, at best, average, but he could carry on with his life just fine - it didn't impact him that much.

"Very average, in fact. I would have thought you'd turn up with a dashing human, Brutus. I'm disappointed," interrupted another vampire who had casually strolled to the front door after Marcia and seemingly reiterating her opinion of the human, though the smile on his face and the intense studying of Koda seemed to contradict his words. If he really thought Koda was average and not worth looking at, he wouldn't spend several seconds eyeing his features curiously. Eventually breaking his gaze away from Koda, who had grown decidedly uncomfortable and nervous at the inspection, Matthias offered another smile to Brutus and stepped back to allow the two to enter.

Despite his smiles and his apparently warm aura, Matthias wasn't a very nice person; he was known for his torture of humans without much remorse, if at all any. He was manipulative, sly, distrusting and renowned for abandoning those close to him in search of more power or money. The only person he seemingly refused to abandon and back-stab was Marcia, who he had been with for a good two decades or so. His confident behaviour was more impressive given his humble beginnings. As far as vampires were concerned, his start to life was far from grand; he wasn't from the aristocratic circles he now mixed in and was well known amongst. In fact, he hadn't been destined for much until somehow finding himself work in Marcia's grand estate, which was the opportunity that not only propelled him into the social circle he was now famous in, but gave him a place right beside Marcia. Though, he was far more happy to let her take the spotlight and be the host of events, preferring to let her lead and dominate, while being a figure of support for her instead.

"No matter, you at least brought someone," he continued drily, his brow arched at Koda's behaviour. As told, the human was doing his best to act obedient and like every other human, though it was difficult to get things past Matthias, who instantly noticed there was something... off about the human, and it instantly intrigued him, though he chose not to bring it up just yet. "...He looks awfully unruly. He's not going to cause us trouble, is he?"

1324.png

"Of course he won't," Brutus replied easily as he stepped inside the mansion to see other powerful vampires Chatting amongst themselves, almost all having a human by their side who obediently remained silent. Each aristocrat wore clothing of the finest material, some wearing clothing exclusive to their Territory - like Brutus with his furs - with their matching hand-carved masks. The whole purpose of them showing up was to essentially tell everyone else just how rich they were. It was selfish but it was the truth.

The humans at the vampires' sides were Georgia's, literally bred to be the prettiest and almost doll-like and, much like dolls, they were just as disposable. The goal for a Doll, as they would occasionally refer to them as, was to look pretty and act like an exclusive consort. While Koda was handsome, it was true that he didn't compare to the generations of perfection that came with these Dolls, that of whom were either destined to be thrown back into the slums or, in best case scenario, given a chance to have some power in society by their vampire owner and live the rest of their lives above the other humans.

"You know the usual, hors d'oeuvres are ready and only the best blood from the East Territory's blood bank," Marcia cooed as she subtly wrapped an arm around Matthias' hip, her own glass in hand as she took a sip. "Make yourself comfortable, please."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: potassiumboron
"Mm, go mingle, have fun. I'll catch up with you later, I have some questions I'd like to put forward to you, Brutus, but I'll let you get settled into the party atmosphere first. What sort of host would I be if I didn't encourage our guests to relax before I sprung some questions on them?" Grinned Matthias slowly, his eyes unsubtle in their fixation back on Koda, who was doing his best to stay as neutral as he possibly could. It wasn't that easy when he was stood amongst some clearly powerful vampires, especially Marcia and Matthias who weren't wearing masks - that just made them far more intimidating to him. Koda didn't need to be affected by pheromones to sense that he was in the company of people who wouldn't think twice about breaking his neck. That in itself was terrifying.

"That guy's weird," he mumbled under his breath to Brutus once far enough away from Matthias. "...He either wants to fucking kill me or... no. No, he wants to kill me-- I don't want to be here anymore. Fuck whatever privileges I'm supposed to be getting, I'd rather rot in the slums than be here, Brutus. I'm happier being poor without any advantages than... than being here, getting judged for not looking like those fucking weird looking humans. They don't look natural, it's... not right. I don't like any of this."

"I won't let them hurt you," he reassured quietly as he wandered to the bar, his mask seeming to unhinge to allow him to drink. Taking a sip of the blood, he hummed at the taste before leading Koda along a bit out of the way. Once somewhat alone, he shot the other a wary glance before taking in the other humans.

"They're creepy, aren't they?" He confirmed after a pause. "You don't understand how all of this works. They're... disturbing, but it's a sign of wealth so people buy them like they're nothing. I know you probably don't believe me but I don't support them, they're too... unnatural," he admitted in a whisper before taking another sip and waving to a few other aristocrats. "Just... please keep calm, this will be over soon enough."

"...You're acting like a fucking creep too. Quit it with the 'it'll be alright' bullshit. I don't need you suddenly acting like you wouldn't want to see me get criticised by people-- I bet you're fucking smirking under that mask every time some vampire glances at me and makes some remark about how ugly I am. You can enjoy it, I'd rather you be honest than offer up this faux consideration for me, Brutus," he mumbled, at least doing well to keep his anger to a minimum and his voice barely above a whisper. He wanted to yell and scream and really kick off, but death wasn't something he particularly wanted to meet just yet... even if he had never felt more angry in his entire life.

"I don't want to be calm, I want to leave now," he decided sternly, going as far as to fold his arms. "...Maybe I won't perform in front of your friends, how embarrassing would that be for you? If you told them I'm immune and then I don't show that? Would they ridicule you, because that might be worth sticking around for."

"If you don't, I can just say I'm such a nice person to have such an average person as a Doll and use that to make me seem like a forgiving person," he countered easily, his eyes rolling once again. He knew he probably should have been more aware of the other vampires subtly watching but he was getting fed up. If someone else saw and decided to test on Koda then he'd be completely content at this point.

"It's a lose-lose for you, Unit 6," he reminded as he watched Marcia and Matthias greet the others. "I truly want to protect you, I have no intentions of killing you. You're a good worker, at least. That being said, if you keep up this attitude I'll let Matthias do as he pleases. I don't think that would be a good idea."

"...You are such an asshole, I hope you realise that. Everyone here is. I hate all vampires, but you posh, 'we're so better than you' ones are the actual worst. Especially you. At least that weird couple have each other; you're always going to be alone because you're insufferable and childish and... and whatever. Drink your fucking blood and show off to people about how wonderful your life is, I'm past giving a shit," he spat, despite growing physically paler at the sight of the blood. He had donated blood like every other human (by force rather than voluntarily) and it always made him feel sick knowing where it was going. To see blood be drank so casually disgusted him more than he ever thought it could... and Matthias' approach didn't help improve his mood either.

"...Is your Doll scowling at me? Did you tell him to greet me like that, Brutus? I don't appreciate it--"

"He didn't tell me anything. I'm scowling because... fuck it, you're weird and I want to go. Alright? Brutus doesn't tell me to do shit because it doesn't work on me-- I'm basically his little performing pony tonight."

"Oh. I see," drawled Matthias coolly, not seeming overly irritated by the remark. In fact, any anger he had at being insulted and sworn at by a human was quashed the instant he realised how immune Koda was; something he had suspected when first seeing him but only now having confirmed for him.

"...How much for him, Brutus? For your fascinating human. I'm sure Marcia would agree with me that the human is... rare. And we like rare things. Every man has his price. Name yours and I'm sure we can strike up a deal-- it's only fair. Marcia's hosting this party, the least you could do is offer us the chance of obtaining this human. So how much to take him off your hands?"

"I... have to consider. Not every day do you find a human like him here, eh?" Brutus quickly replied. One thing he was good at was being quick on his feet... for the most part. He kept his composure calm, his mask hiding his frown amazingly as he glanced at Koda briefly. If he was going to hand over the human, he wanted to make it worth the whole hassle he had to face up until that point.

"Yes, he's... very unique," he agreed as he held his glass firmly. "Very feisty, yeah? I can't imagine what you'll do to him if you get him but I doubt it'll be good, hm~?" He cooed, leaning in close to Koda, his eyes filled with anger. "I'll have an answer for you by the end of the night. I'd love to hear Marcia's opinion on this. I only think it's fair to have her know and take a look at him herself, yes~?"

"I don't have to run everything past my wife. Besides, this human would make a wonderful anniversary present for you. He's a wonderful status symbol. He's not pretty but I'd rather have a human like him, who actually has... talent, rather than just looks," drawled Matthias slowly, his own anger drifting in at the resistance. He was used to getting what he wanted when he wanted, so when he didn't get that immediately, he was prone to outbursts. The fact this was his wife's party, however, made him stand up straight and put on a calm front, however difficult that was.

"I... I don't fucking want to go with him, you aren't considering it, are you? Brutus, don't be a fucking idiot," snapped Koda beneath his breath, glancing at the other with an unsubtle flash of desperation. Brutus was bad, but he was the lesser of two evils - he couldn't imagine what Matthias would do to him, and he didn't want that to become a reality. "...You have money, you don't need more, so... so no need to 'sell' me off or whatever..."

"Why shouldn't I? You've been a pain up until this point so why should I force myself to deal with that any longer? It would just be easier for me to hand you over and go home with some peace and quiet instead of your constant disrespect," he murmured in response, his expression deadpan.

"Why should I keep you? What do I benefit from it? Convince me why I shouldn't just hand you over and let Matthias do whatever he wants to you?" He questioned with a raised brow.

"Are you actually bargaining with a human, Brutus? You've allowed him to openly disrespect you. That's... pathetic," the other vampire drawled, not entirely caring if he was intervening into the discussion. As far as he was concerned, the very fact the two were having a discussion at all was ridiculous. He didn't expect humans to talk back and even those that were immune ought to have an inherent knowledge that respecting the vampires around them was best if they wanted to survive. As amusing and as interesting as he could Koda, the clear disrespect wasn't something he would put up with.

"Ignore what he wants, that shouldn't even enter your mind, Brutus. Do you want less hassle from him? Clearly. Do you want money to take him off your hands? I assume so. I'm sure it'd be good to strengthen the bond between our territories if we could make this deal. Marcia's awfully fond of you, I'm sure she'd be even more fond if you granted her this gift, hm?"

"You know what? Sure," Brutus decided as he folded his arms. "You see, Unit 6, you can be disrespectful towards me and my kind until you take your last breath but you do need to remember that you have no power in this situation. If you hate me as much as you say you do, why wouldn't I give you the chance to be away from me? This is your punishment for how rude you were," he decided before turning back to the other vampire.

"I will let you have him by the end of the night, I'd like to enjoy a few hours with him. He is pretty rare so I would at least like to revel in his companionship for a little longer," he decided before raising his glass a bit. "You can have him free of charge, tell Marcia it's a gift from me to her."

"That's very charitable of you, I'm sure she'll appreciate it. I certainly do," the man smiled, hiding his surprise but made no effort to insist upon a payment. He was understandably wealthy, but if he could avoid spending money, he would. Choosing to accept the other's desire for more time with him, he raised his own glass and, after whispering into Koda's ear, made his way back into the crowd to enjoy the gathering while he still could.

In his absence, Koda immediately let out a long breath, grabbing the bar just to steady himself. "He's going to fucking-- You're really just going to do this? I haven't been an asshole unnecessarily, Brutus. You called me ugly and stupid and worthless and-- and I just gave as good as I got, I don't think that's unreasonable-- just because I don't have physical power doesn't mean I should sit in silence. You're naive if you really thought I was going to do that-- you insisted on calling me out, right? You told me how wonderful it was that I could say what I like, and the moment I did, I'm getting punished for it?!"

"No, the moment you decided to crush the small bit of kindness I showed you, I realized there's no point in keeping you around. You're rude and clearly don't realize when I try to be nice to you," he replied simply as he sipped his glass, though his brows raised in curiosity at the other's reaction.

"What is he going to do, then? You look shaken up," he curiously asked. "I'm sure it isn't anything as brutal as I would put on you, so maybe this will make you realize how grateful you should be that I was so nice. In fact, I might even revoke my offer to them if you prove yourself worthy of my help," he murmured calmly as he watched Matthias walk away.

"Why would I want to be kind to a monster like you? Do you not realise through your distorted view of the world that you've made my life hell, indirectly and directly? A-Are you that fucking thick that you think you've been kind to me? You're actually the dumbest person I've met-- sell me to that guy, I don't care. He can cut out my tongue and burn me all he wants, I... it's better than being with you. At least he's not under the illusion he's been kind to me," he muttered, leaning on the bar with his arms folded again, having no desire to even look like he was like every other obedient human in the room. He was being glanced at and made fun of constantly, so trying to avoid attention was impossible. The least he could do was act how he wanted, if he couldn't avoid their gazes.

"He said he'll cut out my tongue if I talk like I do to you," he repeated after a moment, smirking to himself at the position he was in. He had been given a chance to make more rations, that was true, but life was far more simpler when he was just an average guy in the slums. Nobody threatened to cut out his tongue there, and nobody constantly picked him apart for his appearance or behaviour. At least he was relatively happy there - it beat being made fun of and threatened wherever he went.

"I don't care that much, I didn't want to come here-- you think you're kind for bringing me here, to be ridiculed and made fun of? Fuck off, you're as cruel as everyone else-- just own it. Don't pretend you give a shit."