Pokemon Go is out now!!!

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to test that on my break tonight. :D Neato burrito.

I also feel like a lot more pokemon spawned right around me than usual... In general, it just seemed like stuff was spawning really often. For example, I tracked down (omfg) a Drowzee and a Rattata, and then, after I finished catching the Rattata, there were suddenly two Eevees standing right next to me. o_o Similarly, I stopped at one point to catch a Spearow, and then, once I caught that, there was another Spearow that appeared, which was then followed by a Pidgey...

Perhaps Niantic is trying to help urban and suburban players by making pokemon spawn more often? Especially near players? I realize that this is mainly just speculation, and that maybe I was just really lucky tonight, but... fuck it, after seeing what the update did for the nearby list, I'm in a really optimistic mood. OwO

It's definitely more responsive, though I couldn't actually track down anything on my measly 15 minute break. I was trying to track down a Parasect but I'd walk a few meters in one direction and then it disappeared, so I turned around until it reappeared and walked in that direction, then it disappeared again. D': Sorry Parasect, buddy. Though I'm sure you'd just be like 80 CP like the last two Parasects I caught. I did walk around for a while with no sightings whatsoever, though, so I don't know about them adding more Pokemon to rural/suburban areas.

I was trying to track down a Parasect but I'd walk a few meters in one direction and then it disappeared, so I turned around until it reappeared and walked in that direction, then it disappeared again.
The reason why it disappeared the second time was probably just because it despawned. o3o

I did walk around for a while with no sightings whatsoever, though, so I don't know about them adding more Pokemon to rural/suburban areas.
I noticed this, as well, but I was never left with "no sightings" for too long, so, I think this is actually just a result of the increased responsiveness (as well as the fact that they decreased the distance within which pokemon show up on your radar at all, which they did two updates ago).

Since you have to be closer to pokemon for them to show up in the first place, and you don't have pokemon stuck on your radar long after they're actually gone, it makes sense that there would be times when there are just no pokemon close enough to show up on your radar. But, I'm very much ok with this, because at least I know my radar is being truthful and that, once I walk somewhere else and something does come up, I know that I'll actually be able to catch something. This is still an improvement over seeing a bunch of pokemon on my radar, but knowing that a lot of them are probably nowhere near me.

In any case, I just noticed that pokemon seemed to spawn really often and that I encountered a lot more pokemon than I feel like I normally would during such a short walk through the suburbs. It probably doesn't mean anything, but, yeah. o3o

Tracked a Pikachu to hell and beyond and still couldn't find it before it despawned. Found all of the other Pokemon that were listed after it in the radar, but not Pikachu, even though it remained at the 'closest' spot the whole time. Frustrating. :-(

Me, talking about Pokemon Go with my friends: I actually kind of regret choosing 'Kagayours' as my trainer name in this game. It's just not a very satisfying name to take over gyms with.

Niantic: Our new update will let you change your trainer name!

Me: Oh wow, that's convenient!

Niantic: But you can only change your name once. Please, choose your new name carefully.

Me: ;_; Noo... I can't do this... not again... It's too much pressure.

Me, talking about Pokemon Go with my friends: I actually kind of regret choosing 'Kagayours' as my trainer name in this game. It's just not a very satisfying name to take over gyms with.

Niantic: Our new update will let you change your trainer name!

Me: Oh wow, that's convenient!

Niantic: But you can only change your name once. Please, choose your new name carefully.

Me: ;_; Noo... I can't do this... not again... It's too much pressure.
I'm still so salty that 'gizarabbit' was taken. I s2g that is never taken anywhere. It's my go-to username. What the heck am I supposed to choose now? All cute variations of 'opal' I could think of were taken too. :'( And that's how I ended up with my current username... haha

I'm happy with my trainer name. I might change it to one of my more favorite ones though. :3

The "don't drive while playing" alert is slightly annoying, but hey...

And more scenes from my life as a Pokémon Go player:

13939595_10153623412491331_6442009155963109638_n.jpg

13892234_10153623412441331_1693417787149370707_n.jpg

Reactions: Mari and Kagayours
Also... are we still sure that, barring the nickname trick, Eeveelutions are completely random?

Because so far every Eevee I've tried to evolve normally has turned into a Jolteon. O_O

>< Grr... I almost caught a Vulpix... but it despawned before I could find it... Still, I really like feeling like I actually have a fair shake at tracking these things now! A few weeks ago, I would've seen a Vulpix on my radar and just groaned that there was something cool out there that I'd never be able to find. >.>

Also, I did catch a Pikachu! So that's pretty cool. :D

Reactions: LunaValentine
I'm going hunting in my hometown tomorrow. One of the local cemeteries is a hot spot and a gym. I will keep everyone posted mom's super hyped about it.

Reactions: Kagayours
We stopped in a small little town for lunch during our road trip, land as soon as I got out of the car and opened the game I was bombarded with tons of Pokemon I've ever never seen or only have because of eggs! 3 ponytas, a rhyhorn, diglett, mankey, psyduck, and a freaking Kabuto... and they kept spawning throughout lunch. Hot dang.

We stopped in a small little town for lunch during our road trip, land as soon as I got out of the car and opened the game I was bombarded with tons of Pokemon I've ever never seen or only have because of eggs! 3 ponytas, a rhyhorn, diglett, mankey, psyduck, and a freaking Kabuto... and they kept spawning throughout lunch. Hot dang.
Wow, and it was only a small town? That's crazy! Were there a lot of pokestops nearby? Because those are the only times when I ever see pokemon like that show up. @_@

Wow, and it was only a small town? That's crazy! Were there a lot of pokestops nearby? Because those are the only times when I ever see pokemon like that show up. @_@
There was one about 100 meters away. That was the crazy part. And they spawned so frequently too. Guess it was one of those nests I keep hearing about.

There was one about 100 meters away. That was the crazy part. And they spawned so frequently too. Guess it was one of those nests I keep hearing about.
Mmm. I thought "nests" referred to a hot spot for a specific species, though? Like, a bulbasaur nest would contain a lot of bulbasaurs (and maybe a few ivysaurs if you're lucky). This is just... a lot of cool pokemon. The stuff you'd normally see in densely-populated areas with lots of players all gathered around a bunch of stops with lures at them, so... yeah. That's all pretty crazy. @_@

OwO Duuuuuude today was awesome. I went out even though I knew it would probably rain later (which is why I at least brought an umbrella), but the cloudy, just-about-to-rain environment meant that the temperature outside was actually tolerable for the first time in quite a while, so I was actually able to head out into the city and stock up on supplies (not to mention catch some cool stuff while I was at it!)

And catch cool stuff I most definitely did!! Thanks to the wonderful TRACKING FEATURE, I was able to catch myself a Vulpix, Dratini, and a Seel!! The Dratini in particular was the most exciting, since I was at a public park by the beach and there was a thunderstorm rolling in, so I was planning on heading home pretty soon, but then I saw a Dratini on my radar and I knew I just had to catch it before I left. But then I realized it was most likely somewhere in the rather large parking lot, and, given all the cars that were leaving on account of the storm, and the wind blowing my umbrella every which way, I decided that this wasn't the best time for me to be meandering around a parking lot... So I decided not to chase after the thing, and just started walking back home (although I did go out of my way to stop at a row of pokestops that were nearby while headed in that direction). AND THEN, after doing that, I realized that the wind and rain had calmed down quite a bit -- at least for that brief moment -- and I was able to put my umbrella away. AND the parking lot -- or at least the part of it that I was near (and that I was pretty sure the Dratini was in) -- had cleared up quite a bit, too. So I was able to walk through there and track down and catch my little noodle dragon!! It was pretty great. :D

At Comiket 90, saw these cosplayers:

13909298_10153636210376331_7261128701934264944_o.jpg

On a gaming note, the gym at Tokyo Big Sight was constantly changing color while I was there... blue to red to yellow, etc, every time I checked.

• Love
Reactions: Mari and Indabayou
Does anyone know what determines the order that eggs are listed in? Obviously any eggs that are in incubators are listed first, but what about after that? I don't think it's random, because lower-km eggs are usually placed near the top of the list and higher-km eggs are usually placed near the end. But it can't be strictly based on distance because, well, I said "usually" for a reason. It also definitely isn't just based on the order you obtained them in, otherwise I would always see new eggs landing at either the beginning or end of the list, and neither is the case.

I started thinking about this because I was getting annoyed that seemingly all of my 5k eggs have been hatching into relatively common pokemon recently -- mostly Nidorans, it seems -- despite the fact that I recall getting some pretty cool pokemon from 5k eggs in the past. Y'see, I seem to get 5k eggs more often than any other type, so my egg list is usually filled with 5k's. And when I'm choosing an egg to put in an incubator -- assuming all of my options are the same level -- I'll pretty much always choose whatever's highest up on the list, without even thinking about it. So then I started thinking -- what if eggs that will hatch into rarer/stronger/better pokemon are listed lower down on the list, while eggs that will hatch into more common/weaker pokemon are listed higher? That could explain why I feel like nearly all of my 5k eggs hatch into common pokemon -- I'm only ever incubating what's already at the top, so maybe I have a bunch of rare pokemon that have been stuck at the bottom of the list for who-knows-how-long because I never pick any 5k eggs from down there? This could also explain why the egg listing seems to be sort of based off of distance -- higher-value eggs usually hatch into better pokemon than lower-value ones, but there can be exceptions to this.

Of course, the question now is, what exactly is the egg listing based off of? My top two guesses would be CP and pokedex number. CP for obvious reasons, and pokedex number because a lot of rarer pokemon are listed further down in the pokedex, while a lot of common pokemon (like the ones that 2k eggs usually hatch into) are listed earlier on in the pokedex. It's also entirely possible that the listing is just strictly based on rarity, but... eh, I feel like CP or pokedex number would just be easier for Niantic to program. Having it be based on pokedex number could also explain why I was suddenly hatching so many Nidorans. If all those Nidoran eggs were lined up next to each other, and I just went down the list without obtaining any new, low-pokedex-number eggs to break up the sequence, then it makes sense that I would suddenly hatch a bunch of Nidorans one after another. And the same could be said about any species that someone might have a lot of -- although I guess it's more noticeable with Nidorans since the male and female variants technically count as separate species that are essentially right next to each other on the dex, and being able to think of them collectively as Nidorans makes it easier to notice a pattern than I would with other species that are next to each other on the dex.

I am currently incubating two 5k eggs that I picked from the bottom of the list, to sort of test this theory, but I still have a good amount of walking to do before they hatch, and I don't plan on going back out today.

I always thought it was based on newest first with the eggs. But that's just me XD

Status
Not open for further replies.