Pokémon: Go Adventure! (Interest Check, See Inside for Details)

mr_pibbs

The One True Pibbles
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
pokemon_go_adventure_by_herbomanic12-dcgo8el.png

((Play me -->))

welcome_by_herbomanic12-dcgoh7h.png

Greetings, young and aspiring trainer! My name is Professor Cypress and according to my data, you've signed up as part of our "New Trainer" initiative. With your sixteenth birthday fast-approaching, it's almost time for your Pokémon adventure to begin!

In just a few weeks, you and a group of lucky individuals will be invited to my laboratory up in Lavendillure Town in order to claim your first Pokémon. I cannot stress how important this decision is, as whatever Pokémon you choose will be your companion throughout your entire journey, so think closely about the type of partner you think would be the best suit for you. The bonds you form with your Pokémon and your fellow trainers will last a lifetime; take it from a former Pokémon Champion herself!

But your first Pokémon will not be your last; the beautiful Holon Region is home to over 807+ different types of wild Pokémon, with many more just waiting to be discovered. As you train and bond with your Pokémon, I'm sure you'll encounter all kinds of incredible creatures that will join you for an adventure of a lifetime!

Whether you want to explore the world, battle, compete in pageants, or simply see and-or "catch 'em all", the choice is up to you. But remember that these decisions will define your young life forever, and I hope to be there with you along every step of the way to help!

So get ready to Go Adventure!

- Prof. Athena Cypress, 28th-Holon Pokémon League Champion.

The Holon Region is located in the eastern hemisphere of the planet not far from Kalos. Similar to the distant Alola Region, Holon is comprised of five different countries that constitute a larger political group known as "the Holonian Provinces"; Atlensia, Shireon, Dublaya, Munari, and Baramele. Being so close in proximity and having historical ties closely linking them all, the individual countries agreed to unify under one common title and since became part of a larger region they called Holon.

Each country is home to their own unique cultures and practices, as well as their own respective Gyms. In fact, Holon is one of the only regions in the world to contain ten Gyms instead of the normal eight, as their shared history contains the origins of the first Pokémon League and as per tradition, they have maintained the original competition rules while other regions have adapted or altered them to suit more modern means; including the infamous and Holon exclusive Dark-Type Gym, which many have dubbed too challenging for most, even to those who dedicate their lives to competing in tournaments.

Scattered throughout Holon are monuments to an ancient era where Pokémon and Medieval Humans lived together, making the region a popular site for tourists who wish to explore ancient ruins and stunning natural landmarks that have since remained untouched by human civilization. There is a sort of rustic feel about the land, as the people in Holon lead a relatively simplistic life; one of tradition and tranquility. But there is much to do apart from sightseeing; Holon is home to a variety of beaches and hiking trails through forests, caves, and mountains, popular tourist spots such as the Mr. Wonderful's PokéWorld resort (home to Mickey Minccino and the expansive cast of Wonderful Studios' IPs), a world-famous battle arena known as the Crystallis Colosseum, and many more.

But your adventure in Holon truly begins in Shireon at the quaint little community of Lavendillure Town. There, you will meet the region's top Pokémon researcher, Professor Cypress, and select your very own Pokémon companion as part of the "Better Together Initiate" - a special program begun by the Shireon government for young trainers starting their Pokémon journeys wishing to travel with other fellow trainers in the hopes that they can forge lasting friendships and finish their adventure with plenty of happy memories. Though given the region's larger size and for the sake of safety, there is an age restriction for the program that only accepts applicants of sixteen and seventeen years of age, no younger. So while they may have had to wait for their adventure to begin; it is well worth the wait for the experience of exploring the vast countries of Holon together with both new Pokémon and Human friends at your side.

----------

So anyways, this is gonna be sort of a less hard-story driven RP and more or less a fun little exploration in the world of Pokémon. But don't worry; as with most of the games, there's definitely going to be a larger story that unfolds as we progress through our adventure.

As well, given the nature of this story, our characters can come from a variety of different backgrounds and have totally different goals; some might want to be the Pokémon Champion, others might want to compete in Pokémon Contests, some might just want to see/catch them all, and others might just want to have a fun adventure while they're still young and able. Whatever the case may be; we're in it for the long haul.

Now to also state something here quickly, I will NOT be allowing people to pick their starter Pokémon before the RP. I actually have a group of different Pokémon from each region pre-selected (one for each power type) that we'll be able to pick between in order to get our starters. It offers a bit of fun in the game and also gives us a pretty even common ground when it comes to selecting our starter (as nobody would know what they are until the Pokéball was opened). To make things fair since I know what Pokémon would be in what ball; I will have my character pick his last from what remains.

Speaking of characters, I'll be allowing a total of 5 players (not including myself) to join up with this RP. You can play up to two characters, but no more, as I don't want the group to get too crowded, and as per my numerous mentions, there is an age limit to them. Your main character has to be either 16 or 17 years old; no older and no younger! The only exception I will make is for specific character relationships (ie. little brother/sister joining along for the adventure ala Max and May), but these characters won't be allowed access to some specific moments (ie. when the group pick their first Pokémon, the younger character will not be allowed to do it since they aren't part of the program; but can capture their first Pokémon out in the field later).

While I'm still working on some details concerning how things like Wild Pokémon encounters, trainer battles, and even challenges like Gyms may work in a writing setting while being fair to everyone, I hope that if you're interested you'll leave a post below to let me know if this is worth pursuing or not.

With that being said; let's go Catch'Em All!

adventure_by_herbomanic12-dcgoh79.png

Count me in!

I was thinking of going for a character that's from a long line of Pokemon greats. He'll constantly be pressured to live up to the family name

I was thinking of going for a character that's from a long line of Pokemon greats. He'll constantly be pressured to live up to the family name

Oooh, interesting. Sort of a Brendan/May-type? (ie. parent/family member was a Master, but they're living in the shadow of supposed 'greatness')

For reference, MC will be the son of a Nurse Joy who wants nothing more than to see every Pokemon in the world (and also something about becoming a Champion, I dunno)

Possibly a royal princess who is at least on the 14th or 15th line for the throne, she's sheltered, gullible, and maybe a bit of a brat? But she just wants to be noticed due to being ignored all of the time (she has at least 4 brothers and 5 sisters who have established careers or talents that are praised. She'd definitely aim for a Pokemon contest champion because she likes to be in the spotlight.

Sorry this was so long and boring haha.

Possibly a royal princess who is at least on the 14th or 15th line for the throne, she's sheltered, gullible, and maybe a bit of a brat? But she just wants to be noticed due to being ignored all of the time (she has at least 4 brothers and 5 sisters who have established careers or talents that are praised. She'd definitely aim for a Pokemon contest champion because she likes to be in the spotlight.

Sorry this was so long and boring haha.

Are you kidding? That's awesome! Never thought I'd see a Princess in one of these RP's, but I'll take it! It also totally works with the theme of the region too (hint; it's based off of a few different areas from the real world that are all unified under one common title).

Reactions: Briar Rose
So do you guys have any general questions about the RP? Now's probably the best time to ask ^^

-Are all 6 going to travel together or seperately?
-Are Pokemon encounters random?
-how does battle system work?

-Are all 6 going to travel together or seperately?
-Are Pokemon encounters random?
-how does battle system work?

Together. Hence the 'Better Together Initiative'.

I'd say they are, but there are definitely gonna be pre-planned ones (such as story-centric, or just for fun).

Battle system is still a WIP, but one of my initial thoughts was to roll dice in-between combat posts (ie. both players roll before battle starts in the OoC, then from there they write out the post accordingly). Still gotta flesh it out because even that system doesn't sit well with me right now, but that's about all I've got thus far. Might just do it on a case-by-case basis (ie. allow individual players engaged in combat to decide who wins respectively rather than me picking). In the event of important NPC combat (ie. somebody like a Gym Leader), I'll likely choose whether or not the player successfully wins or not, but usually only if it's relevant to the plot at the moment.

What are the descriptions of these countries so I can know where my character comes from?

What are the descriptions of these countries so I can know where my character comes from?

Atlensia was once the ancestral home of a great empire renowned for establishing what would eventually become the Pokémon League. The country is adorned with various ruins and mountains, including the world famous Mt. Orsisia, believed to have once been the ancestral home of the world's Legendary Pokémon, but now serves as the permanent residence of the Holon Pokémon League. The weather is generally warmer here, as both Atlensia and Baramele are coastal regions.

Shireon is comprised mostly of farmland and a few smaller cities, but generally is more reminiscent of modern society in regions such as Kalos. It shares much in common with it's sister-country, Dublaya, having both once been home to great monarchies and covered in exquisite looking farmland and grassy knolls. Shireon is also home to a variety of caves for those seeking to travel underground. While it hardly snows, the weather is generally colder than the other provinces, save for Munari.

Munari is easily the coldest country in Holon and is surrounded by practically nothing but ice covered mountains. It is home to a variety of ski resorts and lodges, but has a less fantastical history than the other countries within Holon.

Baramele is practically beaches and warm desert-like plains with scattered farms, each adorned with classical styled buildings reminiscent of an ancient era long since past. The culture here is rich and the people live more closely with Pokémon here than in most of the other countries within Holon.

The Holon Region itself, as I thought of it, is actually based on the western half of Europe, with each of the countries standing in for their real-life equivalents and deriving their names from a city within each.

• Love
Um, I was thinking of doing the daughter of an important diplomat for one of the islands. Her father doesnt like the idea of her joining Professor Cypress' initiative and instead, follow him in his foot steps of becoming a part of the government, but she decided Pokemon are much more interesting (shes hoping to become a breeder, or at least beat all 10 gyms)

Or

The daughter/son of a once very dangerous criminal who moved to Holon to start a new life/go into hiding (I forget the exact word I'm looking for) , but every where they go in their town they're always seen as a trouble maker/up to no good, so they join the initiative hoping they can break free of that mold that was set for them by their parent. (Wants to be a pokemon champion)

• Love
So the 800+ pokemon are all generations 1-7?

I might be interested in making a character as well, if there ends up being room. I think I might want to make a Psychic, if that'd be alright.

So the 800+ pokemon are all generations 1-7?

Yep! There'll be a few new Pokémon discovered as we go through, but primarily it's a bit easier to stick with the current roster since we already have so many to pick from.

I might be interested in making a character as well, if there ends up being room. I think I might want to make a Psychic, if that'd be alright.

That'd be cool with me, but bear in mind that I'll be having you all blindly select your starter Pokémon at the beginning, so cross your fingers that you get the Psychic-type :3

Also, have it more thought and I think I'll have player battles be taken on a case-by-case basis (ie. if two players are is engaged, they both decide a winner/one of them decides to lose. Worst case scenario means I need to intervene). I'll run NPC battles similarly with myself or a Co-GM if we wind up getting one later on, taking on the role of the NPC and deciding if they'll win or lose.

Want to keep everything fair, so NPCs, unless they're mega important, will more than likely lose.

Um, I was thinking of doing the daughter of an important diplomat for one of the islands. Her father doesnt like the idea of her joining Professor Cypress' initiative and instead, follow him in his foot steps of becoming a part of the government, but she decided Pokemon are much more interesting (shes hoping to become a breeder, or at least beat all 10 gyms)

Or

The daughter/son of a once very dangerous criminal who moved to Holon to start a new life/go into hiding (I forget the exact word I'm looking for) , but every where they go in their town they're always seen as a trouble maker/up to no good, so they join the initiative hoping they can break free of that mold that was set for them by their parent. (Wants to be a pokemon champion)

Both of those sound good; you could honestly play both if you wanted, but it's up to you.

Also; @Kurogane86, @Briar Rose, @Youreverydaywildchild, @Reythaak.

Are you guys cool with possibly having a Discord OoC? Just a bit easier to keep track of everything and I can keep you guys up to date in real time how things are going (plus it allows us to multi-post without spamming the forums with the thread constantly being at the top of the list).

Reactions: BigBirdie