Plot Discussion (Chapter 2)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
80% of Fantasy roleplayers choose names beginning with A. This was always going to happen. *sits in his rocking chair*

Right chaps. We have ourselves a problem. There's an Avian city falling from the sky. Currently, it's over Edelon... but soon it will be impacting elsewhere. We need ideas. How does Viridos deal with this disaster? Do the Forest Kin manipulate the trees to form canopies and crash barriers? Do magic users repel the rocks with awesome force spells? Does the city itself have a failsafe? Are the Avians doing something right now? Does someone have a lead on the thief who stole the Alate stone?

@Ozzie Chanter @Venace @Duchess_Bastet @Stein - this would be a perfect place to enter. Show how your character deals with these traumatic events.

I demand citation for that statistic, Asmo!

Also, in case anyone is curious, the gibberish in this post is actually a language and can be translated using Google Translate. I used some of Asmo's previous posts as a reference (although to my knowledge, the gibberish in HIS posts can't be translated unless I'm doing it wrong - I assume he intended it that way).

Anyway, the translation is shaky at best, but it will help give you some context in case you want to better understand what is going on.

Okies Asmo. I am starting in Hosia so should I make reference to what is happened in Edelon or should I start out with the sky is falling now in Hosia too?

A horse or similar riding animal's canter is actually nearly a gallop. "Fast walking" on horseback or camelback would be more like a trot.

/former equestrian

Reactions: IceChateau777
Above all else I believe that the Avians would be attempting to save their city and if they are truly in good relations with Viridos as a whole they would be assisting in the protection of the Green Realm. Pushing away debris that is too large to grab or destroy.

Also wouldn't the Avians, a race of naturally paranoid creatures, have a predetermined reaction to such an event?

As far as the ground goes "speak to the trees" for protection but also try and protect any trees that can't handle the impacts. Those with range or offensive skills (ships perhaps?) shooting down the larger debris into smaller pieces. Political members gather people together to help the wounded, evacuate the area, etc.

woah woah woah man! have you even seen my post? XD i haven't even gotten a chance to THINK about the Avian's.. i didn't want to make TO many NPC's... I ALREADY feel like we should Make up an NPC list.

Reactions: Torsty
Okies Asmo. I am starting in Hosia so should I make reference to what is happened in Edelon or should I start out with the sky is falling now in Hosia too?
Yus. Sky is falling on Hosia. Start your character in the thick of the action, with not even a second's chance to sit in a dark corner and copy-paste posts with another player. :]
Above all else I believe that the Avians would be attempting to save their city and if blah blah prescribing the solution to everything
Yus. Do that.
woah woah woah man! have you even seen my post? XD i haven't even gotten a chance to THINK about the Avian's.. i didn't want to make TO many NPC's... I ALREADY feel like we should Make up an NPC list.
Who would be on an NPC list (apart from Konkon)?
"Isn't that the location of the Avian City?"
The...sky...? o_o
"THE AVIAN CITY IS FALLING!"
Bit of a stretch there, Cerulean Holmes. A stormy horizon and smoke clouds is not conclusive evidence. Could you maybe just shout that something might be falling from the sky? We can then find out the rest of the mystery when we get back to shore.

Last edited:
You don't need a NPC list yet. NPCs are recurring characters. Don't confuse them with people who make sparing appearances, but whose presence should be no surprise because they are naturally there as part of the setting.

Also, from the avian race description it seems like most of them would just scatter. The great fission.

Yus. I imagine the majority will flee, as is their nature. But some of the elders would stay and attempt something.

Anyway, never fear. We have @DotCom on the case. *swings a spotlight at DotCom*

And yes, for a scene like that one, @Lovelessesbutterfly - those characters are part of the setting, as Unanun said. We'd only make an NPC list if they become a recurring force in the narrative. I describe plenty of NPCs in my posts (like the pine cone forest kin in my last Pegulis post), but they are merely there to serve a function - to be a sounding board or a plot-connector. If they were making plots of their own then yes, I would probably put them in the Applications thread. But right now, I think we can manage.

My personal preference is to not give NPCs names. Describe them as a tall forest kin with willow branches hung across his face or a Draken priest in wine-red robes. I know you're inside Buhn's head, so it makes sense to write the names. But readers will forgive the compromise. Describe NPCs stylistically and abstractly, and readers will know that they should not become distracted.

lol my post was already so long i didn't want to bog it down with descriptions of the characters that were appearing. But next time i can do just that.

Bit of a stretch there, Cerulean Holmes. A stormy horizon and smoke clouds is not conclusive evidence. Could you maybe just shout that something might be falling from the sky? We can then find out the rest of the mystery when we get back to shore.

So is rolling three ones in a row. But I have done that too. XD

*goes to edit his post like a good boy*

No Cerulean. You're supposed to complain, accuse other players of doing worse, claim you were drunk, liken me to your father/teacher, then play the Autism card.

Learn how to roleplay!

No Cerulean. You're supposed to complain, accuse other players of doing worse, claim you were drunk, liken me to your father/teacher, then play the Autism card.

Learn how to roleplay!

Apparently I've been going about this all wrong.

...cases and spotlights feel like an awful lot of responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.