Persona RP anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. That's new. Although I've never actually watched Lupin the Third so kek.
It appears the literary character thing might be true after all. : u

mb.

Reactions: Shotokeki
..... *slams face on desk*
Okay but... Why would Atlus just... copy manga characters in the first place.

>Copy.
Did you read my post? I said I thought the names were, barring Carmen, homages to pieces of Japanese media that are largely influential. Neither Arsene, nor Zoro or Captain Kidd have any resemblance to the manga characters I attributed as their namesakes.

The fifth characters Persona's name has not been revealed and we usually have a cast larger than 5, so the other characters persona's could have been references to other pieces of media. I didn't know yet.

My first train of thought was that usually, when something has similar characters to something else, they're both referencing a certain trope or legend.

Fair nuff.

I'm off to work on a CS or two. Call me if the RP actually progresses.

Arsene being from Lupin the Third. Kidd and Zoro look to be a reference to One Piece. Not sure who Carmen is. Also, the fifth party members been announced. None of Y'all Persona as hard as I do.
You didn't say anything about namesakes kiddo. And if they were doing influential Japanese media they would probably dig a lot deeper and use something more obscure (to us anyway) than one peice

>"Look to be a reference."
Excuse me for not using the exact word namesake.

Lmao.

Also, it doesn't have to be obscure, in fact the last two haven't been. Persona 3 was Greek Mythology, which has never been "obscure." Persona 4 was Japanese mythology, which again isn't obscure.

Also *Piece.

Edit: Once again, There is barely any information out about the characters. For all we know they could've pulled something from the Tale of Genji or what not once the game is complete. I simply stated what I thought from what I had. : u

@Xam Wow thanks for correcting my typo, because, you know, that's totally a kind and benevolent thing to do and is not at all irritating and snobbish.

Anyway by obscure I meant it more as in the average westerner wouldn't really know the reference, but the average Japanese person probably read the book in high school. Like, for example, the pokemon Bronzor and Bronzong whose evolution from a mirror to a bell may not make sense unless you are aware of the Japanese legend they are based off of. :V

Reactions: Claire Rose
"Persona 4 was Japanese mythology, which again isn't obscure."

Okay but to be fair, most westerners (even ones that play games) really aren't aware of Japanese culture and legends unless they have an interest in mythology, they looked it up on Google, or they're weebs.

And that combined with the fact that there are still common Japanese myths or tropes that blow right over westerner's heads. I remember having to explain the hashihime and even kuchisake-onna despite that being common as well.

Reactions: Claire Rose
@Xam Wow thanks for correcting my typo, because, you know, that's totally a kind and benevolent thing to do and is not at all irritating and snobbish.

Anyway by obscure I meant it more as in the average westerner wouldn't really know the reference, but the average Japanese person probably read the book in high school. Like, for example, the pokemon Bronzor and Bronzong whose evolution from a mirror to a bell may not make sense unless you are aware of the Japanese legend they are based off of. :V
Alas, after writing so many papers during the summer semester. Grammar correction runs in my blood. It's inescapable. I wasn't attempting to be snobbish, nor did I insult you in anyway about the typo like most people do. I just pointed it out. : u

Eh. That's fair enough, but like I said, it was just a first impressions thing. I read the article and connected it to the first thing to pop into my head. It could've been other, older and more historical media once we got more information on the game.

The literature standpoint makes more sense though.
"Persona 4 was Japanese mythology, which again isn't obscure."

Okay but to be fair, most westerners (even ones that play games) really aren't aware of Japanese culture and legends unless they have an interest in mythology, they looked it up on Google, or they're weebs.

And that combined with the fact that there are still common Japanese myths or tropes that blow right over westerner's heads. I remember having to explain the hashihime and even kuchisake-onna despite that being common as well.
Well, Westerners were never the target audience. Even Persona 3 was more of a cult hit than anything. It wasn't until Persona 4 released that it gained a much more mainstream following. Stuff like Izanagi and Izanami is fairly common knowledge for any kid who played a JRPG or similar growing up.

The common tropes and myths blowing over people heads is simply a cultural thing. You wouldn't understand it unless like you said, you specifically looked it up or grew up with it. Like people commonly mislabeling Hinduism as a Polytheistic religion.

Edit: Y'all keep distracting me. Lemme work on my CS, lmao.

That is literally what I was explaining because Autumn LITERALLY said "obscure to us" as in. Westerners. And westerners are not the target audience. So Japanese people would get it straight away. But we might not. So if they wanted to choose something influential, it could probably be something that they know the origin of, but we don't, we may only know the by-products.

The example we just had of the literary thieves and the one-piece characters.

The reason "literary characters" was such a popular theory after Arsene was introduced was because mythology is just a bunch of old stories. And we don't exactly know the limit to how "new" personas can be, but there's Shakespearean characters and others already in the Persona universe that come from relatively recent (but still kinda old) books and not old-as-balls mythos. Which, Arsene is a thief from a series of stories and not a god.

I'd distract you some more but I'm going the fuck to sleep because all this unnecessary chatter is going to murder me.

I've been lying about my age since I was 11. Which was a year ago.

Nope, your fault for not being fast enough.

T...that's just amazing.
>Disliking something that has almost no information out based on a homage to a series that has sold more copies than the Bible.

You have no idea how enormously popular One Piece is in Japan, there is literally nothing to compare it to in American culture. There are so many references to it in Japanese Media it's crazy. It's also astounding how you seem to ignore that there is no similarity other than the names. It's a simple reference to pillars of Japanese media.

Plus, what Ken said. The One Piece character is based on an actual pirate. Like Zoro's name is based on the swordsman Zorro.

Edit: @Autumn I know Zoro is based on Zorro : u, but as Arsene is from Lupin the third, I think the Persona's containing references to largely popular series in Japanese media is close to true. Considering the character of Zorro was released in 1912, it's public domain now, so they could've added the extra r if they wanted to.

Although, as I said it's a logical extrapolation more than anything. The information on the game is very scarce.

Edit2: Your Carmen guess is as good as mine. Although being they can be references to Manga characters and still be "literary characters"
Don't sass me boy. Regardless you are 18 that's for sure unless you turned 16 in 2014 but I doubt that you were 15 and a senior unless you excel extremely well logically and were bumped up grades like the apocalypse was coming.

It was a joke, I mean I might get P5 but some things about some games don't catch my eye or push it away. Then again I have lost interest in most things I once liked. I just don't like the idea that the persona's may be based off of Japanese media, kind of kills the whole using deities and demons for personas from many cultures. Unless they can pull it off to where I think they were creative then odds are its going to be a flop for me. I will probably look up the story once its out and all, if its decent it may come back to my heart.

Also I just don't like one piece. I don't tend to like the anime's that are well known, I have this thing where I dislike overly popular stuff that I feel to me is just meh. I remember watching the show when I was younger and just not liking it. And I am not in Japan so honestly I don't care how popular it is there. It doesn't affect me and trying to badger me about it is pointless because at the end of the day I am still going to dislike it because I don't find it interesting. I am entitled to dislike things for my own reasons. And excuse me if I seem rude but I just don't deal with stuff nowadays and am at the point where I have a I don't give a shit attitude.

Pirates are boring to me so *claps* cool that you know your history and what a character is based off.

OH GOD ITS WORLD WAR THREE IN HERE. EVERYONE TAKE COVER.

and I just noticed this all happened last night.

and I wasn't alerted

because my internet

was shit

Fair nuff.

I'm off to work on a CS or two. Call me if the RP actually progresses.
Do I need to make a post explaining why the rear entrance was open or were you going to explain all that in your next post?

I never saw you're IC post and just read it.

My USB is corrupted and my homework was on it so I'm sitting here dreading the dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.