Oriental Adventures, Rokugan

Endo mused a moment before answering her question, glad she was alright with coming. He would've been in a bind had she opted for not entering in the city. "Sometimes the greatest wisdom and knowledge in the world isn't what you find by yourself or in ancient ruins, but by the people around you." While Endo believed meditation and seclusion were important to learning, if he didn't think that statement was true, he wouldn't be with her now.

"Besides, there are so many different kinds of people in the city, so many new, undiscovered friends. I think it will be a good experience for the both of us." Endo smiled as they approached the city, finding a main road into the city and following that, approaching the gates.

Yue felt better but as they walked and approached the gates, she drew closer to Endo, without even realizing it. Staff in hand, she made a quick prayer to the Healing and River spirits, blessing them and asking their guidance. She looked up at the gates which seemed to grow larger as they drew closer. What wonders of man, this! And yet her most honored father often spoke of even more complicated creations made by humans.

The guards at the gates stood in shocked silence as the two of them approached. They finally seemed to regain themselves when they gave Yue deep bows. One of the spirit folk! And a shaman, to boot! It was a rare occurence, indeed!

Yue stopped to bend her knees, bowing back. "This one thanks you for the hard work you endure. It must be difficult to be tasked with the protection of such a large city. May the spirits and your ancestors look upon you proudly."

The guards looked at each other. "Th--thank you, Lady Shaman. Wel--welcome to--to Renga Murai."

Yue smiled and nodded as she stood straight and walked with Endo.

[BG=#000099]Japik, his face carefully impassive, hefted his shield, shifting its weight - and "accidentally" nailing Kuroma solidly in the face. He winked at Roppu behind the visual cover of the shield before looking over it at Kuroma.

"Apologies," he said in thickly accented Rokugani, with a complete lack of sincerity.

He clasped Roppu's hand and gave it a firm, hopefully reassuring shake before letting go to sign again. Don't worry, I won't. Can you disguise yourself again?
[/bg]

Bluff check to make the shield bash look like an accident. -5 for utter lack of sincerity, +1 CHA modifier. [Final result: 15]

Tae's stride was long and sure, fueled by the want for her bath. She was half certain that the samurai would take the lead, matching her stride and more. "Lets hurry, please." Her eyes were cast forward, determined to avoid any more conversation. Wouldn't all these people like to know that she was a Fox Hengeyokai. They wouldn't be helping her now, that was for sure. Tae's lips curled into a half smile. As soon as she had her dagger, she was gone.

SLAM! Kuroma stumbles to the side having been hit by the man's shield. Rubbing the spot on his face where he had been hit, Kuroma looked at Japik and glared at him, an expression seldom seen on the gentle Kuroma's visage. "You had best be more careful with shield from now on, gaijin, or else next time you won't find me in such a forgiving mood. Remember this: You are a guest in our lands. You live only by the grace and hospitality of our people. Know your place." With that, Kuroma stood up and turned to leave the alley way. Tapping Rhyo on his shoulder as he passed, he said, "Come, let us go. It seems our kindness is neither appreciated nor wanted here, and I'd rather not ruin such a beautiful day with bloodshed or the filth of foreign lands." And with that, Kuroma left the alley in search of some cool water for his face.

Sense Motive check to notice the Bluff. Check Failed.

Endo was a bit surprised when Yue began to cling to him as they approached the city, the walls growing larger as they walked up to the gates, her unease apparent. However, it seemed to have been washed away by the shock and awe of the guards as she, a spirit folk, approached their city. Such an event was rare indeed and should be enjoyed. It would soon spread through the town like wildfire, especially since she was a shaman, only adding to her allure.

As the guards gave her praise, of which Yue gave her own, Endo didn't mind that he was mainly ignored. Under normal circumstances, a Wu Jen commanded an air of respect, mainly out of the mysteriousness of his nature. But a Wu Jen was nowhere near as fascinating as the spirit folk who stood before them, so his appearance was more of a body guard than a companion.

As they entered the city, more whisperings could be heard from the townsfolk, already brought out by the mini commotion that the guards had created upon their appearance. "Don't worry, you're with me. Just smile and they'll leave us be for the most part"
------
------
Rhyo looked back to where Roppu was hiding, her form now blocked by the large Japik. Realizing that any further interaction was now impossible, he turned away and left the alleyway with his companion, wanting him to get away from the situation, seeing his blood beginning to boil.
Once out into the street, he turned to Kuroma, "Is it time to qualm your anger with the calming liquid that is sake?" He had rarely seem him so riled up and he knew that the best thing for him was to just relax and forget this whole commotion entirely. Who knew that a girl running into him could create such a situation...

Tokito ate with a little less eagerness than his companion, though he did his best to emulate unicorn table manners or lack thereof. "so your furry companion is still around?" he half asked taking another morsel, the food was a good excuse not to drink anymore sake though he did refill her cup. It was only a matter of time before ... "Excellent choice of meat." He commented taking another piece and thats when he saw what he needed.

He was getting irritated by a stranger for the second time today, but it would not be long that he would have to put up with the stranger..... Tae so he walked in silence, "Here we are." he said indicating the inn. "I'll arrange the rooms if you'd like something to eat you may order anything." He entered the inn and moved to arrange the rooms leaving Tae to find a place to sit, once he had got them rooms next to eachother he went over and joined her.

Roppu allowed herself an audible gasp when Japik's shield met Kuroma's face, hands flying to her mouth to stifle it. It had been an unexpected maneuver, and when it was all said and done - Kuroma and the ronin man leaving, Roppu looked pleadingly up at Japik, signing, 'Are you sure that was wise? They are Samurai - nobility.'

She looks around for a moment, creeping closer to him. 'Still... I guess if you knew what he was saying, it'd be a trifle worse... I cannot put on my disguise again. The spirits of trickery are fickle, and I would require an eight-hour session of praying to appease them should I wish to do that again.' Similar to the clerics of Japik's home, really. 'I could attempt to disguise myself without magic, but it would be a lot tougher to pull off.'

-----------------------------------------------

Bei stretched with a yawn, rising himself out of the tub, reaching a hand in to drain it before shaking himself dry. It had been a good bath, and he had ended up smelling like cherry blossoms - he quite enjoyed the scent. Reaching past the clothes that lay upon the tile counter to the jar of sake he carried around with him, he allowed himself a nice refreshing swig of it, letting out a happy sigh.

Assured of his dryness, he put his clothes back on before shifting once more into his natural form - trotting over into the main 'bedroom' and out the door, hopping up the stairs and resting himself near Ryoko's feet, tail flicking merrily, mouth open in a foxy 'smile'.

Yue looked all around. What a grand city! There were so many people here, like her most honored father had told her there would be. They numbered as much as the ants who scurried under the earth and seemed just as busy. Yet they paused in their work and their daily business to watch as shaman and wu jen walked by. She smiled and looked away from Endo.

"This one is most grateful. You have been such a big help to her. She wonders if perhaps you will be gracious enough to share more knowledge with her. More knowledge about this great city and what people do here. Surely there is no soft earth in which to farm but what else do they do?"

Ryoko watched as he refilled her cup but then had to shake her head. The place was already spinning. Or was she the one spinning? She couldn't tell at this point but she knew she had to stop. She had to get to the room and hope she actually made it there. Kami forbid she should pass out on the floor.

"I ... I have to go ..." Her hand managed to reach for some coins to leave on the table. But when she got to her feet, she immediately had to place her hands on it as her legs threatened to buckle. She shut her eyes and willed her balance into place. She could do this. It wasn't far to the room.

Ryoko took one step. Then a second step. The room was ... that way. She didn't see the samurai standing there but she certainly felt when she walked right into him. The impact wasn't enough to make her fall but she did stagger a bit--and start giggling?!

"Did not. Did not see. That table," she stammered and started feeling around the counter. She grabbed the edge and started moving away from Kiyoshi and the innkeeper.

Kiyoshi turned towards the person who had bumped into him expecting to unleash a rebuke, but instead his eyes opened wide. "Ryoko!'" he called catching p to her and looking her up and down, it was clear she needed help getting anywhere, his eyes darted around and spotted the fox at the table with a stranger and he knew it had to be the strange monk from before. "Samurai Ryoko, let me help you, he took her by the arm and put it over his shoulder and supported and steadied her enough to move back towards the table where she had sat. "Honored unicorn, would you kindly sit with my guest while I help Samurai Ryoko to her room."

Tokito hid his surprise and disappointment and nodded moving over to sit with Tae taking the near empty sake and the meat with him along with Ryoko's coins. "Greetings, I am Ide Tokishati." he looked her up and down, once, then again. "White hair and black cloths are rare appearances around here, but hardly anything today is what it appears I have seen sorcerers and Henjeyokai traveling together and wonder if I'm really a traveling unicorn or have just spent to long in the sun, please eat, drink, I'm sure the Samurai will return soon."

Kiyoshi, able to understand Ryoko's directions got her down the stairs after calling to Bei who he was sure was the fox and got to outside her room, she was heavy and he tried to get her to stand on her own while he opened the door and turned to her to speak.

Ryoko was quite certain she was thinking clearly. She knew what was happening, she knew where she was going, but she just couldn't get her body to obey her. That should have frustrated her but it only made her giggle and feel light headed, although her feet were like lead.

Ryoko held up her hand to say something but she only giggled and found herself going along with Kiyoshi. "There is ... There is something ..." She put a hand to his chest and squinted as he moved to open the door. "Lion ... Kiyoshi ..."

Maybe she really had drunk too much sake!

Ryoko stepped backwards, only to lose her balance (what little she had left) and stumbled into Kiyoshi as he was opening the door!

Endo grinned as Yue stared in wonder at the buildings that surrounded her, the fact that she was from the quote on quote country becoming apparent. He smiled a bit at her naivety to the real world, having never encountered something of this magnitude. Her wonder was that of a child, each new building something she had never seen before.

Travel through the worn street was easy, people parting to give them plenty of space, bowing and saying soft prayers as they passed, before resuming their duties, their lips already speaking about what they had just seen. He remembered in his youth, reacting in a similar manner when he was young, such an event a treat for him and his friends to talk about for days.

"Their fields are located outside of the city, and they also trade with other cities for crops that grow better in other places." Endo explained, still retaining some knowledge from his days before becoming a Wu Jen. "Their life is very different from the rest of the land in the fact that their city was made out of their most predominant resource: rock. They've adapted quite well, as you can see. The forest we just came from was their only source of wood, only used for war machines...." Endo further explained as they reached the town square, an area as busy as a hive of bees.

"Are you hungry? I'm sure we could find somewhere to eat, and given that you're a spirit folk, they'd give us the best service possible." Endo smiled, sometimes having the right company was pleasant indeed.

The combined weight of the barbarian samurai and her equipment caught Kiyoshi by surprise and he fell backwards hitting the floor hard his helmet bouncing across the floor its fastening trailing as he looked at her in shock.

"Oooff!" Ryoko was jolted into reality when they hit the ground and she looked around. The room was blurry and any attempts to get up only made her head spin. She stopped and then she noticed Kiyoshi beneath her. She giggled. "I am ..." She giggled. "So ... sorry ... Not. Not for this. I mean, I'm ... sorry for this. But I'm more sorry for um ..." She giggled again. "For what I said ... earlier. I meant no. Disrespect. Just. Don't do. Well with intimid--intimi--Um, what's that word?" she said as kiyoshi blinked at her searching for the right think to say in the situation, her giggling has getting to him, and affecting his thinking. "I shouldn't have tried to intimidate you. I am sorry" he moved under her getting ready to slide himself out from under her.

A straight face. She was going to keep a straight face. She'd never giggled before and now, now she couldn't stop! She smiled as she realized something. "Did you know ... I've never. Ever. Evereverevereverever kissed a man before?"[color] She poked the air with a finger. "Once, I kissed this horse 'cause ... Kuri made a bet with me. Well, not really a bet. I told him I loved horses more than anything. And then he said--Do you know what he said? He said ... If I felt like that I should go and kiss a horse already. So ... I did. But you know," She leaned forward so their faces were close together. "I never kissed a man before."

"Samurai Ryko?" he said uncertainly, using the less formal way of addressing her, 'honored samurai' didn't seem to fit. He stopped moving under her and stared wide eyed at the closeness of her face. His lip trembling with apprehension and confusion at what she was saying. ButRyoko didn't kiss him, not right away. She was too busy tracing the outline of his mouth with a fingertip. "Do the Lion samurai have rules about kissing? They say Unicorns are barbaric but I wonder if there's a thing like a Unicorn kiss or a Lion kiss ..." Kiyoshi gulped, his throat dry, he hesitated before answering, something he hadn't said to anyone, and simply let them assume otherwise but seemed right to point out. "I.. I am ronin." he stammered, it hurt his pride to say it, but it was true. He left the reason unsaid.

That made Ryoko blink! Ronin. Ronin ... Then she was suddenly leaning forward, closing the gap between them to give him a simple kiss on the lips! Her mouth pressed against his for several heartbeats. Her lips found no response for the first second, but finally Kiyoshi responded before his hands came up and pushed her off of him, rolling her to the side. Without a word Kiyoshi gt up and fled down the passage and hurried up the stairs.

Ryoko was certainly not in her right mind. Of course, had she been she probably wouldn't have done half the things she had just managed to do in the last several moments. When Kiyoshi threw her off, she ended up rolling on the floor and landing on her back, in perfect position to see him get up and run out.

Ryoko's only reply was to blink, yawn, and pass out on the floor. Her halberd still upstairs with the others and the door wide open. It seemed this Unicorn barbarian had had enough for one day and was finally getting the rest she deserved.

"Food sounds much good to this one," she said with a shy smile.

Yue made sure to pause and give her blessings to as many people as possible, which, of course, took quite awhile. She bowed, she smiled, she even introduced herself a number of times. Many merchants invited her to see their wares and even sample when possible, many restaurants and inns asked her to stay with them awhile.

When some of the children ran into the streets to crowd around her, Yue smiled and stopped. The children all attempted to talk in turn and she heard everyone, giving them the attention all children crave when speaking to an adult, especially one the other adults were in a commotion over.

"You're so pretty and tall! Are you a Kami?" went one kid.

"'Course she's not a Kami, stupid. She's one of them um, um--" interjected the other.

Yue smiled. "River spirit folk and this one is most honored to meet you."

Endo smiled as Yue talked with the myriad of children besetting her, for most of them this being the first spirit folk that they had seen. Despite their combined rabble of noise, Yue seemed to be able to keep up with their loud frantic speak, giving each the attention they were trying to obtain.

Soon, the adults came up, pulling their respective kids away from them against their will, saying their apologies to Yue. Yue, in her own way, apologized as well for distracting the children from their daily chores, even if she really had nothing to do with it. Endo didn't bother trying to correct her, it was one of her quirks and he had by now become accustomed to it.

Heading down an offshoot of the main street, they discovered a small cafe, a hole in the wall kind of place. The scent coming from the joint caused Endo's stomach to painfully remind him just how long it had been since he had had a hot meal. Turning to Yue, Endo asked, "Would you like to eat here? It doesn't seem to be too busy, and the food smells oh so delectable."

Yue couldn't get enough of this city. It was so strange, so fantastic! When the children were taken away by their parents, she smiled and bowed to them after apologizing. She followed Endo again and when he stopped, she stopped as well and sniffed the air. She smiled at him when she heard his stomach growl beside her and nodded.

"This one thinks it smells most divine." She blinked and was quickly bowing again. "Forgive this one. In this one's haste and excitement, she has ignored your needs and brought much dishonor upon herself and her most honored father." She lowered her head and was genuinely distraught.

[BG=#000099]Japik grinned predatorily at Roppu's distress. My family won Eagle's Reach the hard way, he signed, and I am no stranger to the Dueling Grounds myself.

Then she informed him that, no, she couldn't disguise herself - at least not effectively, not soon. He grunted and thought a moment, then came to a conclusion. I am low on funds. I should find myself some work, he signed. Which means I will likely be in this town for a few days, at least. If you can direct me to a decent inn or lodging house, I'll take a room there, and meet you outside just after dark. It should be easier for you to disguise yourself then.

He paused, wondering just exactly what the hell he'd do all day, especially without a translator. Then, sitting heavily and leaning against the wall, he sighed. That won't work, though, will it?[/bg]

Roppu considers this course of action for a bit... she nods. It was a sound plan, though it would take... a bit of time... finally, she got a clever idea. She motions for him to turn around, then crawled back into the depths of her hidey-hole...

The young ratling quickly changed her clothes from the gaudy performer's clothes she normally worse to something far dirtier, rummaging around in her small cache of stuff for what she was looking for... a pair of manacles, and a collar attached to a chain. Snapping the chain around her own neck, slapping the manacles upon her wrists - tail twisting around to lock them both, placing both keys into one of her own pockets.

Crawling out, she offers the chains to him with trusting eyes. She would act as a slave translator... something not uncommon, and it would give her the protection she needed - not even the most cruel samurai would strike down a slave in clear view of it's owner. She'd just have to stay close by. Her tail flicked slightly, fur warming from the holes in the dirty slaves clothes she now wore.

Tae's head snapped about with each sound and movement as she walked into the inn, folowing closely after the only person that she 'knew.' Confusion! As soon as she was aware of her surroundings she was being 'passed off'! Her dagger.... Tae eyed Kiyoshi's back as he helped the drunken one away, taking her seat, only half listening to the man. She muttered out her name in a automatic response, still not paying attention until she heard him go on about sorcerers and hengeyokai traveling together. Her brows furrowed a bit before she shifted in her seat, her mask also shifting inside her clothing at the movement.

Curses. My dagger now this… Tae wiggled and shifted, sliding a stray hair back into place, her arm subtly passing over the mask as she did this. It was her sad effort to push it back into place. When this didn't work she put her hand to her chin, her bent arm covering everything. Her arm couldn't stay like this forever, she was tired and she had no patience. Not to mention it would look rather odd for her to sit in silence with her arm like this until the Samurai made his way back to get her.

Her bath…she wanted her bath.

"I believe I'm going to sleep, food can wait. Forgive me. My day has been…wearing." The small female looked run over so hopefully it would ease any aggravation caused by her abrupt manner. Her arm moved to hold her opposite shoulder, the crook of her arm forming a v over her chest as she rose. One awkward bow later and Tae was making her way over to the inn keep to inquire about her room. It was all that she could do to not run towards the room when she was given directions.

A bit longer and Tae had her bath, her clothing being messily left out on the floor....her mask peeking out of them. She was elated, nothing could make her happier at this moment. Her mind wandered to her dagger again, but the thought was shrugged off. Relaxation emptied her mind, her head tilting to the side, sleep tugging her away.

Tokito noticed something has wrong, she was hiding something under her cloths... something she wanted to keep hidden. But though it better to wait for the samurai to return, and presently he did, rushing up the stairs with an odd look on his face. Kiyoshi made his way over to the table and looked around. "I apologize for my earlier imposition, but where is the girl?"

Tokito eyed him... he had gone with the sorceress and come back affected, and wanted to know where the girl who he had possible been escorting was. if the sorceress was powerful enough to enchant a spirit beast would have no trouble on a young samurai. "She went to her room, perhaps I should i should go check on her you look a little .... dazed" Kiyoshi nodded and fell into a chair. Tokito pushed the jug towards him and stood and with a small bow walked off in the direction of the room, there was no need to ask which one it was as he had overheard. As soon as he was out of sight of the main room he began taking steps to remain quiet and was soon out side the door, gripping the door hi slid it a fraction on an inch and peered inside.

He could see her white hair over the rim of the bath... she seemed to be relaxing. Something was peeking out of a pile of cloths on the floor and he pushed the door open enough to slip though and slid the door closed, sneaking towards the bundle... glancing at tae every other second. As he got closer he saw what it was.... and stopped dead... a sound from the tub made him turn, Tae had turned her head in her sleep and it was a bout to slip underwater. He looked between her and the mask a few times before running over to her and grabbing her naked shoulders pulled her from the water... she seemed to have taken in some water and he began carrying her to the bed to lei her down so he could get put of there.