Oriental Adventures, Rokugan

[BG=#000099]To say the least, Japik was surprised that Roppu would volunteer to play a slave. He understood exactly what she had in mind, as it happened, though, so he pushed himself to his feet and took the chain. Signing would be a bit awkward, he figured, but he didn't have a belt he could loop the chain around, and his baldric wouldn't be in the right position.

I appreciate your trust, he signed, though if we're going to have to do this for any length of time, I think a better arrangement is in order. Now, somehow I think it would look odd for a 'slave' to be leading her 'master,' so you're going to have to direct me...

[/bg]

Roppu nods, tapping on the chain... then expressing a direction with her finger. A sort of silent way of expressing 'north, south, east, and west'. She figured it might be easier to express it later on, but that might work. She then signs, 'Though as a foreigner, having a slave guide isn't that odd'. She shrugs, looking around.

She tugs on the chain, walking towards the edge of the alley, posture changing to one of submission, hands folded up in front of her, inadvertently pushing out her chest, though it wasn't much to push out. Turning to look at Japik, she motions with her eyes towards a building slightly down the road, to which steam poured out of one window - the steam coming from a kitchen. 'Brick Village Inn', she motioned. 'They only charge a few copper a night. I never slept there before, I just know the rate. They might charge you more because you're foreign, but nothing crazy'.

----------------------------------

Bei gives a grand, foxy yawn. He had little to do with the actions of those within the tavern other than that of a silent observer. Had he expressed any particular emotion or action about it, he'd likely have given away his cover. Though, it wasn't much that surprised him. The effects of alcohol weren't a mystery to the fox hengeyokai... and he decided to explore the village.

With a few short hops, the massive, muscular red fox exits the inn, giving a foxy smile and a look from right to left... his gaze immediately turned to an attractive young woman and her traveling companion... both giving off a rather unique aura. One of mystery and menace... the other of peace and water. Curious, his footfalls causing stones that made up the path sink slightly into the dirt, he walks forward, uncaring of stealth... his tail flicked side to side as he looks up at Yue and Endo, unflinching.

Endo sighed as Yue bowed down to him yet again, somehow thinking that the food causing his stomach to rumble and reminding him he was hungry was her fault. Grabbing her wrist, he walked passed her, pulling her along. "Seriously, I don't get where you get this notion that you're responsible for every negative thing. I think we need to put some food in your mouth so you can stop apologizing."

Endo looked back at Yue smiling, showing her that he wasn't really angry, annoyed, or in any way having negative emotions to her. He was just playfully teasing her as they entered the street cafe, being seated outside. "So, what're you in the mood for?" Endo asked Yue, sitting across from her.

Yue felt something strange ... when she turned slightly she found a red fox there. Which was odd. Why would a wild animal be in the middle of such a busy place? And the fox itself ... Much larger than other foxes she had seen and quite muscular as well!

"Greetings, honored brother. Were you so very curious that you would brave the city and its many dangers to investigate its wonders?" she asked Bei.

But before she could receive an answer, Endo had taken her by the wrist and was pulling her away. She looked at the wu jen and took a seat across of him. She smiled sheepishly. "This one does not know where to start. This one thinks there is so much good food to smell and taste. Will you be so kind as to recommend something? Oh, or perhaps this one can ask the cook!"

Bei stares after the Wu Jen leading the woman who addressed him into the inn he just walked out of. His eyelids lowered, expressing a single word in body language: "Dimwit". Still, the female was interesting enough. Nonchalantly following them back into the place, he walks behind the doors to the kitchen, looking up at the cooks.

One looks down at him, smiling and placing a small bowl of rice in front of him. A very useful superstition - "If you see a fox and give it some rice, it will deliver some of the rice to the kami of rice, Inari, and you will receive good luck." Lowering his head, he picks up the bowl by the rim, walking it out into the dining area, by the table where the woman who said hello to him earlier sat, munching calmly upon the rice he had gotten free of charge.

[BG=#000099]Japik nodded and followed Roppu's lead. As they approached the inn, he silently thanked the nameless old adventurer for his advice.

On the rat-girl's advice, he headed into the inn, though he stopped short of the business counter, instead taking a moment to look around. It was the sort of well-used place that soldiers saw from time to time on the campaign trail. Back home it probably would have been called a road house, if not for its being situated inside a city, and a copper would have bought him a corner in the common room.

Shrugging, he turned and headed for the counter, giving the chain a gentle tug followed by a surrepetitious gesture to make sure Roppu knew what he intended. When they arrived, he gestured to Roppu, See if you can't get a room with a lock, and don't let them charge us more than a silver. Use whatever tactics you have to.
[/bg]

Rhyo was troubled by the Crane Samurai's train of thought. Sure he had spared Roppu's life, and for that he was grateful, but his reasonings behind it were very unsound. "I'm sorry Kuroma, but I'm afraid that we're not nearly alike as I thought we were. I'm afraid our companionship together is at an end." Giving the samurai a last farewell, he turned back, hoping to catch Roppu and Japik before they were lost to the crowds of this large city.

Scanning the crowds, he came upon the two just entering a nearby inn. Their appearance was quite different however. Roppu had now taken the guise of some slave, while Japik was her master. If he hadn't known better, he would have suspected nothing. Approaching them, he looked towards Japik as to avoid suspicion, even if his words were intended for Roppu. He made sure to keep his tone low, in case someone was eavesdropping. "Please forgive my companion's earlier actions, he can be quite rough sometimes, it's the reason me and him aren't traveling together. I don't suppose you would allow a ronin to travel with you? Then again, given the fact that you're a foreigner and you being a ratling, you could use another testimony to your story."
--------------
Endo motioned the waiter, a young boy you was obviously nervous around Yue. "We'd both like a serving of that delicious stew your cooking. Oh, but could you make the lady's serving without meat? That would be most appreciated." Endo said with a smile, pushing a gold coin the boy's way. He gladly took it into his hand, obviously more than what the stew cost, and quickly came back with 2 steaming hot bowls of stew, complete with some bread. Endo, inspecting the bread, found his order to have been fulfilled to the letter, with not a trace of meat inside Yue's dish. Thanking the boy, he turned to Yue.

"Now, I thought I heard you mutter something else when I pulled you away, were you talking to me?" Endo said, not wanting to appear rude to her, knowing she could be quite sensitive at times. Behind her shoulder, a large fox caught his attention. "Hm, what would such a large animal be doing all the way in the city?"

Roppu nods, looking as slavishly submissive as possible, head down and looking at him with those emerald eyes of hers. Had she been human, it might even have been a seductive look, though unintentional. She turns to speak to the innkeeper, though is startled to hear the voice of Rhyo... without his crane companion. She was surprised at first, then happy to hear of the change.

She motions her translation of Rhyo's statement to Japik, nodding. Turning back to him, she expresses, "Master and-and I need to get-get rooms for the night." She expresses in her stuttering voice... it doesn't seem to be out of fear, though. Nezumi just seem to do that, which made sense - their own language was of clicks and whistles, and body language. She nods, whispering, "We are-are ha-happy to have you-you join us, I am s-sure..." She looks up to Japik, wondering his choice in the matter.

Yue smiled at the boy when he brought back the stew. "This one thanks you most gratefully. May your ancestors and the spirits smile down upon you."

She took a moment to sniff the stew. "Hmmm ... This food smells most divine! Perhaps this one could thank the cooks after she has enjoyed her meal?" She was breaking off a piece of bread and paused when Endo asked about what she had been saying before sitting down.

Yue smiled and when he mentioned the animal, she turned to it and nodded. "This one was talking to this handsome animal. To brave such dangers for the sake of adventure is surely something this one does not hear of everyday."

The shaman lowered her head to the fox. "It is kind of you to honor us with your presence, honored brother. Particularly since you are so far from home."

The very large fox looks calmly up from his food, offering a wry smile to the two, tail flicking twice before going back to his food - ears up and alert. After a little bit of this, he trots over, hopping up near the table - the chair he sits on being a rather short one, his shoulders still rose above the table.

His teeth showed in an open-mouth, foxy grin, he turns to Yue... and as silent as the wind, whispers:
"The river becomes you,
Honored sister in spirit,
beauty given form."

The quiet haiku was one of praise and flattery, and the fox seemed to know it, continuing his grin.

[BG=#000099]Japik nodded his assent, then transfered the chain into his shield hand so he could offer his hand for a shake. "Well met," he said in common.

That was fortunate, he signed, but first thing's first. We still need rooms, and perhaps he does too. Let's take care of that, then get ourselves some food. In our rooms, maybe, where you won't have to keep up the act? And figure out our next course of action.
[/bg]

Shaking Japik's powerful hand, Rhyo moved passed him. "Let me take care of this." He said, motioning the innkeeper towards him, requesting 2 rooms, putting a few bronze coins on the table. Getting the 2 room keys, he turned back to them. "One for the men, and one for the lady, if that's alright with you two." Rhyo offered, figuring that Roppu would rather have her own privacy than share a room with two men. While they were no threat, they hadn't even known each other a day, her complete trust still not there.

--------------
Endo looked in amazement at what he heard from the fox's mouth, a haiku flowing on the wind, obviously intended for Yue. Obviously this was no ordinary fox, if the large size and intelligence was any indication. He had felt that something was odd about this fox, and his suspicions only grew as he studied the fox. He couldn't figure out exactly what was bugging him, as far as he could tell, it was just an overly powerful and smart fox. But none of that explained for the haiku. Endo scratched his head, the answer not quite coming to him.

Yue paused from eating when the fox appeared and sat down at the table with them. She blinked at him and then her cheeks grew red. She looked off to the side. No one had ever recited a haiku for her! "You do this one much honor, this one thanks you most graciously."

Yue clasped her hand to her chest and tilted her head at Bei. Such a large and strong fox with so much intelligence could only mean ... "Oh! This one's most honored father has spoken highly of your kind. This one is Yue and is most honored to meet you. She travels with Endo, a most dedicated wu jen."

Roppu mimics the 'common' greeting: "Whe met", before she shakes her head, "I am to stay-stay with the Master. While-while strangely... kind-kind of you, a slave should not-not leave the side of her Master." She nodded, trying to say it in such a way that it didn't sound suspicious. She was rather committed to the false role of loyal slave, and sleeping in a separate room would definitely cast suspicion on the role. "Is there room-rooms with a lock?"

The innkeeper nods, expressing that none of their rooms have doors - so locks were near-impossible. Roppu nods, turning to sign this to Japik, continuing 'The Brick Village can't use wood, so it makes sense there are no doors for locks'.

-----------------------

The fox continued his clever smile, nodding to her - she knew what she was. He turned his head to Endo, nodding to him as well - as he knew now, too. His ears flicked, followed by a flick of his tail. He whispers,

"Village of red stone,
Humans work and pass and play,
A fox is as wind."

Expressing his need for stealth in another whispered haiku. Sure, actually speaking would be a lot faster, but he had more fun with haiku, ears flicking... besides, he didn't often have the chance to act as a mysterious spirit creature - instead of a spiritual monk. It was something... good... for him. Natural.

Yue smiled. A fox hengeyokai! Her father would be highly amused by a tale such as this, no doubt. To find a fox hengeyokai in a big city, a good distance from the nearest woodland or cover. She nodded at the haiku, understanding that this unnamed fox would need to avoid drawing attention to himself.

"This one has not been here long," she said to the fox, although she was facing Endo. "This is such a marvelous place. So many people and quite friendly, would that she could stay a bit longer." She smiled sheepishly. "But this one must heed the call of the spirits. There is always work to be done."

Yes, one's duty came first. It was best to enjoy what she could and then be on her way. If a shaman did not uphold her duties, the spirits and the ancestors would grow restless and there would be more work to be done.

Floating.
Coldness.

Why was she floating? And..what was....that. Hands?

"Not tonight....please master." Tae's eyes fluttered open, hazily landing on the bed as it grew closer.I fell asleep in the tub again? Wait… Her eyes adjusted. That wasn't her bed. Everything snapped into place within seconds. Her master was dead, this was not home. She became a flurry of movements, basic instincts kicking in. It was the man from upstairs! Tae quieted her movements as he placed his hand to her mouth.

"Shhh, I'm a friend"

Tae lost it, biting down onto the hand, she tore out of his grasp. Cloth brushed her heel as she backed into her clothing and she halfway glanced down. Tae snatched up her clothing, backing up into a corner as Tokito started moving towards her to try and pacify her again. Tae breathed in deep and let out a scream, collapsing in the floor. Sobbing from the panic rising in her chest, she let out a second scream. Tae clutched her clothing tighter as she trembled, the mask falling back down out of sight.

Tokito put a finger over his mouth trying to calm Tae down. "Please I came to check on you. That samurai sent me. Please stop screaming." He held out his hands to show he was unarmed. A small amount of blood showing on the right where she had bitten him.

Kiyoshi heard the screams and was on his feet in an instant, it did not take him long to reach Tae's room and the door flew open. Tokito didn't have time to react before the samurai lifted him off feet and pushed him against the wall. "You have one chance to explain what happened unicorn, then i'll ask her." he looked at Tae.

"I came in. She was asleep in the tub, I pulled her out... please i was trying to save her." Tokito said quickly gasping in pain as the ninja-to bug into his ribs. "Please... she would have drowned."

Tae was cowering in the corner when Kiyoshi looked at her again. "Is this true? Or is he really just a perverted thief?"

[BG=#000099]Japik was a big believer in straight lines. As in, "The shortest distance between two points." Thus, when he took off for the stairs at the sound of the scream, he didn't bother to detour for the tables in his way. Unfortunately, he'd forgotten that he was holding the chain as well, meaning that he didn't drop it until he vaulted the first table. From there, he jumped directly to a second table and then to the stairs without bothering with the floor in between. He hit the wall with a loud, meaty-and-metallic THUD and charged up the stairs and into the room he'd heard the scream from.

As his hand went to the hilt of his sword, he yelled, "What the HELL is going on!?" As he yelled, it occurred to him that he hadn't really thought this through very well and that they wouldn't be able to understand him. Shit.
[/bg]

As Kuroma dried off this face from soaking it in cold water to get rid of any swelling, he noticed a large group of people gathering around a building down at the other end of the street. Kuroma, more eager for a fight than almost any other time in his life due to his recent run-in with the gaijin, decided that he would check it out. Upon reaching the crowd, he tapped on of the commoners on the shoulder. "Excuse me, but what is going on here?" Kuroma asked. The man turned around, and after bowing, replied, "A scream came from inside, and no one's really sure who it was or why. However, there have been reports of hengeyokai nearby, and frankly, my money's on an attack." Thanking the man for his help, Kuroma moved through the crowd and entered the inn, just in time to see Japik disappear up the stairs.

Kihoshi turned towards the foreigner, one hand holding onto the spy while the other drew his wakizashi and poised to strike at Tokito.

"Mind your own business gaijin! I'm handling this." he shouted back

"Please Gaijin samurai, I was trying to save the girl. Please help me."

"QUIET! YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE TO EXPLAIN!" Kiyoshi spat, "This girl is under my protection."

"Gaijin please." Tokito's hand slipped inside his kimono, and wrapped around the handle of his ninja-to.