Oriental Adventures, Rokugan

Bei looks up at Ryoko, before trotting on towards the room - down a flight of stairs. He had only been in a few places with underground 'cellars'... being away from the sunlight (and thus, windows) would be quite beneficial to his thought processes... the silence would be nice, too.

Heading through the open, cloth-veiled portal into the room (no wood had been used, all stone and fabric), into the very spartan arranged room. Bed, cloth mat, and nothing else. No carpet, just brick and stone. Trotting through a second open portal into a tiled bath-room, he smiled, shifting into his usual state - that of the half-man, half-fox, and gazes into the mirror with a foxy grin.

Flinging his tunic to the side, he turns to turn the handle that would cause the hot water to rise through the pipes and into the tub, while he turned, flexing a bit into the mirror... turning and gripping onto the doorway and going a good number of pull-ups, then moving onto the 'sink' area and finishing with a sound number of push ups... he loved the feel of muscle moving under his flesh, the raw power that his training brought him... punching into the air a few times, he nods, flipping the rest of his clothes off and sinking into the steaming hot water of the bath, turning the water off with a foot and sighing happily.

He hadn't had a warm bath in a private room for years. It was... bliss, really... even the wet fur smell was gone thanks to the scented waters. He spent a good deal of time picking things out of his teeth with a claw as he simply relaxed.

Tikoti sat at the sable but stood as Ryoko approached, he was bursting for information but knew he had to keep his cool. He studied the woman as she sat down. She was trusting, on the outside.. if he hadn't have seen the fox change with his own eyes he would never have suspected her. He gave her a bow... but this one he really meant. She was a truly a disguise artist second to only the great masters.

He felt a deep respect, and a sudden fear. In the morning she could look completely different and he would never know it was her. He had to force her to show her hand tonight, slowly a plan formed....

"Now if you would tell me your story......"

Ryoko shrugged as she took the bottle and poured her own drink. She filled the cup halfway, just to start things off. "Probably better stories out there to tell than mine," she said, sitting back and swirling the sake, watching the liquid go around and around in circles but never quite spilling over the edge.

"I'm just your average Unicorn travelling through Rokugan on a quest to become the greatest Utaku battle maiden ever."

Her face fell, her free hand going to her face to make it seem as if it were from still being tierd. "You are most generous, I accept this plan." She spoke brokenly and stiffly, warring with feelings on the inside. Tae wanted to snap at both of the men as she looked back up and her hand fell to her lap. She hadn’t missed that pushing look to agree from Kiyoshi.

My dagger. Mine. He has my dagger. …If I had it I’d cut his appealing face to shreds.
Nothing but a empty threat, but still it made her feel a bit better to imagine the act as she sipped on her sake. She was filthy, she noticed this as her eyes wandered. Maybe she could also get clean at the inn! Tae perked up with this thought, her dirt smudged face coming alight. "The baths are nice there, yes?" Her hand motioned at her dirt covered appearance as she spoke to both of the men. With her face all alight like it was now, she truly looked like a child about to get a sweet.

Kiyoshi nodded before turning to his friend. "Thank you again Shugenja Hisake for your hospitality." He stood and bowed, placing his empty sake cup on the table. "You have always been an honorable and close friend." then he turned to Tae. "Stone Village Inn has hot running water in the rooms for bathing. If you would like to leave immediately I would be happy to accompany you if not we may leave whenever you're ready."

Tikoti nodded slowly it was indeed a common story. "Battle maiden... I'm not a fighter but I wish you great fortune in your quest." he eyed her, "For myself I'm on a similar quest though mine is to learn the customs of the other clans so that me may talk to them on their terms and thus better negotiate with them." He could see that he wasn't getting any more information of the kind he was hoping for but decided he'd keep talking, it was rare he could talk to others in disguise, even if neither was willing to reveal themselves, he found it slightly amusing and the absence of the fox did not go unnoticed as he sipped his sake. "It seems your companion has wondered on, a pity..."

Ryoko sipped her sake. It was strong and it went down hard, pooling into her stomach. She shrugged at the mention of Bei having disappeared. "He'll find his way. He's a big fox." She stifled a yawn. "Want to share some food with me?" She grinned a bit. "I promise not to eat like a Lion and leave you hungry," she said, joking.

Tokoto smiled at the joke even allowing a silent chuckle "I would be happy to.. even if it was just your table scraps that I got... though with a lion I might lose a hand for stealing." he looked around the inn looking for what he needed but no samurai presented themselves. "I you would like to share payment I have a little gold.."

Ryoko put the sake cup down and smiled. "We can each pay a portion of the bill then. It would be nice to take a break from having to hunt down game for a meal." It was basically how she had been feeding herself since she left her family. Hunting down game proved the more difficult way as she didn't carry bow or arrows, but she had also caught fish and ate berries and some edible algae that grew on rocks. "Not that I'm a skilled cook." She laughed softly.

The frightened, shivering form of Roppu could still be seen peeking out of the small pile of treasure, unwilling at first to come out. When it became obvious that the others were not going to leave, she nervously began to crawl out on all fours, body tense and ready to dart away if need be. She reached the entrance of her hidey-hole fairly quickly... the wafting smell of rather fine incense following her from withing. Seems she had been laying on some in that pile of her's.

Looking to each, "P-please... don't make me sh-show myself... the villagers will not be as kind-hearted as you, d-despite me not-not doing anything wrong..." Her pleading eyes met Japik's, who was the closest, signing 'Im scared. Please don't reveal me'. She extends a five-fingered, clawed hand forward into his - trembling with fear.

--------------------

NPC'd: Rhyodotsu smiles serenely, somewhat relieved that everything had gone alright. Roppu was a strange creature, but she was far from being dangerous, even if her rather dishonorable use of disguises was impressive. Still, he had a question to ask of his companion. "Kuro..." He turns to him. "I wouldn't have expected you to be so understanding and forgiving of a ratling..."

Kuroma, having been serenely staring at the opening of the hole, waiting for Roppu to emerge, turns now to the ronin. "Frankly, my friend, as a Crane, I owe the Lion Clan no favors. Truthfully, it is quite pleasing to see a nezumi living right under their noses. Once again, it shows how incompetent the fools are. And besides, she has done me no harm, and thus is not warranting of any herself. Sure, she decieved us, but us in the Crane are not strangers to honeyed words and false smiles. Of course, there is also the fact that I have always been one to emphasize on the Jin tenet fo bushido. After all, if we were to hold a grudge for every minor slight and petty squabble, the entire empire would crumble under the weight of personal vendettas." Turning back to Roppu, Kuroma steps up next to Japik and squats down to eyelevel with Roppu. Smiling, he says to her, "Once you're ready, would you be so kind as to show us a place for lunch? Like we said before, we're new here and are in need of a guide."

Endo and Yue walked through the dissipating forest, trees slowly becoming less frequent, and the grass coming in patches, worn paths becoming evident. Soon, they saw the walls of the city, still about 5 minutes away, but confirming their knowledge that civilization was close.

Turning to Yue as they walked, he asked, "So, have you ever been in a large city such as this?" As far as Endo could remember, a spirit folk, while revered in city, was quite a rare site, one that was easily memorable due to their unique look and exotic presence. And, a city as big as this one could easily spook and confuse one not accustomed to the noise and chaos that large crowds brought. While it had been a while for Endo, he knew what to expect and how to react, but he needed to know if she knew what she was getting herself into.

A bath, Tae‘s brain buzzed with more excitement as each second passed. It was one of the few things that had been a joy to her in that house. In the water she was happy, becoming something new as she washed everything away. Somewhere else, safe in her mind, if only for that small time. Tae’s smile couldn’t be any bigger as she brought her knees out from under her and stood in a smooth motion. “Honorable shugenja,” Tae‘s small frame bowed in respect towards the man as she spoke. " I can't say this enough,You both are most generous.”

Give me back my dagger. I will have it back.

She straightened her back and looked back and forth between the two as she continued to speak. “Oh! Forgive my rudeness, please, My name is Tae.” Her temporary excitement was giving her the courage to lock eyes with them as she spoke. Usually she held her eyes on the floor, staring deeply as if a giant hole would appear and consume her. “It would be wise to leave now instead of lingering, I would not be able to forgive myself if I fell asleep on you both. I‘ve done enough to embarrass myself today.”

Yue glanced off to the side, hand clasped against her chest and over the small pouch which held her father's scale around her neck. "This one is ... most nervous." The confession made her pause and she looked at Endo, only to look away again.

"Do ... do you think perhaps this one should remain elsewhere? This one would not wish to cause trouble, to cause discomfort to any who live within the city walls."

Yue had never been to a large city before and even in the smaller towns she had visited, she had cause enough of a stir. It didn't help matters that she had no clue why one such as herself would create a commotion. She was but a humble shaman dutifully helping spirits and people alike.

Kiyoshi knew that she would want her dagger back but he couldn't take the risk. Black robes even without the white hair.. he had promised to give her the dagger when she had been rested, and thats when he would give it to her, now before and certainly not after. After that they could go their separate ways.

He inclined his head towards Tae "Then we should get you to a room and we'll talk when you're rested." he had a lot of questions her, not the least of which was where she had come from and why.

Once outside he walked next to Tae, keeping her in sight as they headed for the inn, He wondered what had happened to the monk and if he would ever find meet Ryoko again and if he did how he'd react.

"Well I'm sure your talent lies elsewhere" Tokito said with a dry smile. "Since you're new here you should choose." he said refilling both of their cups with the same carful politeness he had used when taking the bun. "Just stay away from the fish... you need proper wood to cook it right and there is a shortage of that , well at least outside the military.

Ryoko smiled. Then she turned to one of the workers. "Give me a plate of your roasted meat then and make sure to make it heaping. I need my strength for all the adventures I'm gonna have." She raised her recently filled cup of sake to her new found drinking partner after the man disappeared to get her order. "To journeys we've had and the ones we've yet to conquer," she toasted before sipping the sake again.

"To the journeys and those we meet along the way." he raised his cup to his lips and took a sip. "I'll say one thing for lion sake.... its gets easier to drink after the first glass." he said looking into his cup. Much like their culture." he put his cup down and have the room another sweeping glance....... what he needed was still not around. Any longer and he was in danger of getting drunk, and the sake was not cracking her disguise.

Ryoko sighed as she looked into her cup. "Yeah," she agreed. She really should stop drinking, especially on an empty stomach. She put her cup down for now and heard her stomach rumbling in protest of not being filled. She yawned and looked about ready to lie her head down on the table. She honestly didn't know if she'd make it to the room, although that got her thinking about how Bei was doing. Instead she put her elbow on the table and her chin in her hand and studied the man sitting across of her. "Thanks for keeping me company."

Tokito raised his cup to Ryko and emptied it. "You looked like you had a story to tell and you see surprisingly few unicorns around here." his shoulders slumped a little in an inaudible sigh. His hand hovered hear tho near-emplty jug but he didn't move to refill their caps, instead he rested his hand on the table. He had had ore to drink than was wise for this situation.... she might even just be faking "You can't fool me." he said in his head "And thanks you for putting up with my questions..."he paused as he noticed a plateful of meat heading their way. "Looks like its time to eat."

Endo could see the apprehension in Yue's face and actions. It was obvious she was uneasy about the city, especially a large one like this. Her unease was understandable, it was akin to why the animals of the forest didn't wander into the city on their own. The noise and proximity of the people living there scared them away, just like it was scaring Yue away.

Turning to her and grabbing her shoulders, he faced her, looking into her eyes. "Don't worry," He reassured, "this one will be with you, you will be safe." It felt a bit odd speaking in the odd dialect that she used, but he figured that it would only reassure her more. While she attracted attention and awe, being with an outcast Wu Jen would most likely cause less people to come running over in curiousity.

--------
-------

Rhyodotsu picked up his swords and sheathed them, standing a few feet behind Japik and Kuroma. He chose rather to stay silent upon Kuroma's revelation as to why he accepted Roppu, at least for the moment. While he didn't agree necessarily with Kuroma's reasoning, the end result was all that mattered at the moment, and he was glad that his friend wasn't prosecuting Roppu for the sole reason that she was a Nezumi.

However, Roppu, who had hid upon seeing his Crane companion, was now swarmed by Kuroma and Japik. This was why Rhyo decided to hang back. He, who had seen her so flustered and scared before, was unsure of how she would react. Of course she was fine with Japik, but Kuroma was the reason she hid and if she chose to attack or run, he didn't want to be in her way. Their acquaintance was fragile at best, and he knew that if he did a single thing wrong, it would be nigh impossible to regain it.

Ryoko licked her lips and rubbed her hands together. "It's about time," she muttered. She thanked the man and grabbed a piece of the meat to pop it into her mouth. It was hot but not scalding and it was a welcome change from the sake. It was extremely moist and it tasted just as good as it had smelled.

Ryoko smiled and swallowed, letting the meat settle into her stomach. "Mm ... Eat up, friend. The fox will rejoin us when he is ready." She took another piece and ate that one, too. So delicious!

Yue looked at him only to look away again. She lowered her head sheepishly. "This one thanks you. This one ... is ready." She was grateful Endo was here. He really was such a big help to her. Had they only been travelling together for two weeks? It seemed much longer and he was a kind man. She had crossed the paths of hermits and wu jens before and many had cared little for any company save their own. Yet Endo had been hospitable and had appeared to enjoy having her around.

Once they began walking again, Yue, hand clasped to her chest, looked around shyly. "Is there anything within the city you seek? This one cannot begin to imagine what the spirits have in store."