Oriental Adventures, Rokugan

"Oh really? Well, that would explain why he looks so foreign compared to you and me. Not to mention the fact that he hasn't said a word and has a lost look on his face." Rhyodotsu said cheerfully, taking a step back and standing up. It was apparent that Roppu was still nervous around him and Kuroma, and it seemed that only time would quell that. All he could do is be as friendly as possible.

"Would you like some company while showing Japik around? Both me and my friend here are relatively foreign to this city as well, and would love a local guide to show us around. Would that be ok with you?" Rhyodotsu said, hoping that by spending more time with Roppu, she would grow less nervous, and that they could learn more about this interesting Japik character, who was like no man Rhyo had seen, in both his garb and his overall body structure.

Slowly taking the cup from his hands, she was careful to avoid touching his hand as much as possible. “I thank you both for your help and I am honored in meeting you both.” She bowed her head towards each of them. “I shouldn’t have been so foolish to have let myself get in that condition.” The cup is easily balanced as she moves into a better sitting position. “If it permissible, I will just stay where I fell.” Her voice was soft and barely heard as she spoke. Inside her mind things were different... I have to get out of here…The walls are creeping in on me. Oh god they are going to find me. They know Tae, They know. They are just toying with you. Tae let a smile touch her face, calmly sipping her sake. No way they could tell how delirious her thoughts were...no way.

Yue nodded firmly. "This one is a bit ... nervous. Many people." She was used to hermits and small villages, farms, from all her travels. But as a shaman she didn't feel that her work required her to go to cities, especially when many cities were affiliated with one Clan or another. How they kept track of who was who and what Clan was which was anyone's guess.

Yue began walking with him. "Do you ... miss the Clan you left behind?" she asked, curious. She knew each Clan, except the Mantis, had been started by a Kami and that they were made of many smaller families. But she had never thought of what family he might have left behind to become a wu jen.

Ryoko
shrugged. "I don't do much hunting and I met this one on the way here. Every traveller needs company, yes?" She was studying him. "You are welcome. It has been awhile since I had a chance to get some of these buns. So, where are you headed, traveller? Have you been on your own long?"

Tokito would have smiled, well deflected.... "Only a few days, and excuse me it is just a rare thing to see such a creature as a pet.... especially if you 'met this one on the way here' forgive me but its a little hard to picture a situation where such a fox.." he glanced at Bei "Especially one so strong who would command a large range in the wild... should choose to follow a traveler. You must have a way with animals noble samurai." the statement was followed by a shallow bow. "Now could you tell me where you are heading, I am at a lose and at the moment and if you would honor me to accompany you i would be happy to lend myself to your services as needed."

Bei seemed to 'grin' into his bun, tearing another piece off and sitting next to Ryoko's legs. It was true - a strong creature like him could have easily ruled entire swaths of forest or plains - he was stronger than some wolves were in this form, and definitely smarter. It wasn't what he was after, though... originally, he wanted to rule mankind. Even just a little bit of mankind. Though his training among the dragon monks taught him... a little more. He looked up at Tokito, ears flicking as he listened to the man's words.

-----------------

Roppu shakes her head at Rhyo. "N-no... in fact... I... have-have to be going now..." She offers another bow to the two, and looks up at Japik, motioning We'll meet again after you loose the samurai.

She then backed a few footsteps, before turning on her heel and sprinting through the crowd, darting as if they were mere trees than moving people, vanishing behind an alleyway...

Sliding down into a prepared hidey-hole, she nervously looks out to make sure no one had followed her - this was her 'home'... and she had a reason to dart. Her time was up.

Her form shimmered, the magic causing her to appear human vanishing - her tan-furred skin appearing... clothes the same, and the same emerald eyes... she huddles her knees into her chest in this small, confined space... ready to wait until nightfall, or when next the Trickster Spirits would allow her access to the spell that 'turned' her human.

Gameplay Notes
Hide check to hide in the hole. Re-preparing spells.

Ryoko smirked a bit at his insistence that Bei was her pet. "Perhaps he just likes the buns I provide for him," she said, half-joking. Then she shrugged. "There is a pet and there is a pet. A fox is wild, yes? So, when he chooses to, he could go on his way and me on mine. A human raising a wild animal will still have a wild animal, no matter how tame it seems on the outside. Eh. When you say 'pet', I'm reminded of the tiny dogs noble women keep. He is much cleaner and a lot more quiet."

She grabbed her halberd. "I"m not going anywhere special. I don't even have a map. I am just travelling."

Tokito watched the fox with a little interest, buying time. It was clear that he would not get a strait answer out of this spellcaster, but perhaps the 'fox' was the weak point, it had already betrayed itself by entering the city as itself. "Obviously he is used t humans to enter the city so perhaps it is not as wild as it appears." he let the matter rest, he would need to gain the spellcaster's trust to some degree to get the answers that he craved. "You have shown me kindness Samurai Ryoko-sama and to see you and your 'companion in this city has been a welcome change from the stuck up lions and those who do not know the spirit of the wanderer."

Endo thought back to his moments back in the phoenix clan, pausing for a moment before answering. "I came from the phoenix clan. I, like so many others, was trained to be part of the best shugenja's there were. I excelled in it, and was one of the best, possibly the best in my class. But the whole feel of it was off. I was too restricted, too bound my the rules of society. Everyone was so worried about outward appearances, it made me sick."

He paused, reminiscing on that day, when he left, his family furious, not understanding, his father full of rage, his mother crying as he walked out, not looking back. "So I left, and I haven't seen them since. I occasionally miss them, but it's more out of a want of company... They just couldn't see things from my point of view..."

Eager to turn things in a brighter mood, he smiles and says, "Well, why don't we see what this city has in store for us?" Endo turns to the wolf, still speaking to Yue, "So, is this where we say goodbye?"

------------------

Rhyodotsu tried to follow Roppu as she weaved through the crowds at blistering speeds, in such a rush to get away from them. Yet somehow, despite her blinding speed, his eyes were able to follow her as she ran in between the groups of people.

Finding it odd that she would run away so abruptly, he took off after her, not able to travel at her pace, but fast enough to keep her in his sight. Eventually, she went into an alley way, sliding into a hole that went underneath the building. Her head popped out, obviously looking for followers.

As she went back into the hole, he approached the hole that she had disappeared into, peering inside of it. He couldn't help but gasp at what he saw. The girl that had hidden was no more, replaced by a nezumi. Suddenly everything made sense. Suddenly, he was aware that his gasp had been a bit too loud, and that she would soon realize his presence.
Spot +2 wis mod
Hide - Null

Hisaki smiled calmly at Tae, giving an inclination of his head as a bow. "Samurai Kiyoshi found you on the road. Surely you cannot expect to sleep on the road where you fell, with that fox hengeyokai in the dragon uniform he mentioned about. Hengeyokai are dangerous, you know." He nods, sipping his sake. "Samurai Kiyoshi, if you have not the funds, I will lend you the money required to get her a good stay at the town's inn until she is fully rested."

------------------

Bei turns away from the man talking to Ryoko, finishing his bun with a few short twists to bite it apart, then swallowing it. He begins to wander around the area, before wandering towards a painter in the middle of the street. He sits behind said painter, staring at his work... it was a terrible piece of artwork, and Bei could be seen shaking his head.

------------------

Roppu pants slightly, kneeling down and mumbling, rummaging through her treasures and thumbing the bone necklace she wore, attempting to call upon the trickster spirits once more in the clicking, whistling language of the Nezumi...

However, her ears flick, and she quickly turns to match Rhyo's eyes with a paniced stare, darting on all fours over to him and launching a hand forward to grab onto him... he deftly moves out of the way, almost bringing Roppu to tears. "N-no... no! Go away-away! I a have nice-nice thing here! Not harm-harm people..."

She bites her lower lip, crawling away from him, ears down and frightened - a cornered rat, claws out. "Not-not in good position for barter, but... can offer bribe, ronin. Have many-many nice-nice thing here. Please... don't tell them I'm here... give you nice-nice shiny-shiny... Please..." She shakes her head, tear running down her tan fur. "I just want to live..."

Melee Touch Attack (no armor bonus to AC) to grab Rhyo's collar.
Spell preparation interrupted.

"Thank you Shugenja Hisake, I will do that.." he glanced at Tae "If that is agreeable..." his look contrasted with his soft tone so suggest that it was a good idea for Tae to agree. "Though I would advise that it is impolite to refuse help once offered. Once you are fully rested you will be free to go your own way and I will return you dagger to you."

Rhyodotsu jumped back, her clawed hand just missing him, as he retreated to a safer distance. He saw her shaking, fear written all over her features, various items of little worth surrounding her, some in her hands as she proffered them up to him. His first thoughts were just like every other persons. Typical Nezumi, stealing things from hard working people, having no conscience as to what their actions had on other people.

Just as he was about to leave and inform the lion samurai that they had a nezumi in their mists, his mind went to when Rhyo met Roppu before he knew. At that point, she seems like a nice, if not shy, girl, mildly attractive, and very modest. Even though she had the speed to have stolen from Kuroma and never get caught, she didn't, and didn't try to do anything foul the entire time they were with her.

Plus, she was also helping a foreigner around the city, something an evil creature like her should never do. But it seemed like her intentions had been pure, and the man, while not understanding their language, was scary looking enough so that if she were up to something, she would have likely chosen a less threatening target.

He refocused on her, crying in the corner of her little home, shaking as he realized her position. In a society where you were despised for being born of a certain race, she had no hope on being anything but the stereotype pushed on her by some of her more nefarious ancestors. It's why she wore a disguise, and why she was hiding now. She loved life and clung to it, even as she was surrounded by those who would do her in.

Deciding he needed some way to reassure that he was not a threat to her, he took his swords out slowly, saying "Don't worry, I won't hurt you." As he slowly drew them, he could see her heightened fear, and for good reason, for this could easily be a trap, stepping back in case she tried to attack, he took his blades and laid them down before her. "See? I mean no harm..." He said in as level a voice possible, trying to get her to calm down.

Ryoko began walking after Bei and shrugged. "I haven't seen another Unicorn in a long time; since I started my journey, I think. Have you been here long? I could use directions to the best inn I can get for a few gold coins." She hadn't slept in a bed for at least a week now ... or taken a bath. But sleep was more important than bathing and she was used to going days without one. She smiled a bit when she found Bei shaking his head at a painter.

Yue was thoughtful for a moment. Her most honored father had always been supportive of her and he had been the only family she had ever known. It took a great amount of courage to be able to strike out into the world, all alone, she decided.

She nodded and turned to the wolf. "This one did not prepare the spell that enables speech with him," she admitted but then she walked up to the wolf, stopping a few feet away. She offered him her hand, palm up so he knew she meant him no harm and when he didn't bite her, she bowed, knees bent until they were eye to eye.

"This one thanks you for your companionship but must go now." She looked at the city. "To the human place for a short time. You must stay here, honored brother, for this is your home. Thank you for everything." She slowly reached out to pet the thick black fur for a few minutes.

Then she stood and turned to Endo. "This one is ready." She began walking with him and the wolf did not follow.

Tokito was having a hard time keeping his eyes from the fox, and his hand away from his weapon. He covered by crossing his arms behind his back. There is a nice in not to far from here, on the main road." he stared as the fox seemed to take disapproval of a painting. This has most unusual.. for an unwelcome menace he wasn't hiding or showing the innate sneakiness attributed to his race. This woman must have put a powerful spell to change it in this way..... most powerful it would be interesting if he threw her a test....... something to force her to show her hand.

"If you would give me the honor of shoeing you the inn, i;m sure they would have no problems providing for your.... companion if he should choose to stay around for the night."

Seeing Ryo dart off after Roppu, Kuro made to stop him, but Ryo had already gotten too far into the crowd to be stopped. After all, there was no reason to continue to persue her. Their business with her had been concluded, and no further business was required. But not wishing to loose his only traveling companion, Kuro decided to follow, making use of his exceptional height, and Ryo's distinct fashion sense. Kuro arrived just as Ryo jumped back to dodge Roppu's claw, nearly getting knocked into himself. Speaking to Ryo, yet looking at Roppu, putting it all together and running over scenarios, he said, "Let's go, Ryo. We have no further business with this girl. She has stolen nothing from us, and done us no harm. Nezumi though she may be, you must remember that not all are evil. In fact, there is a group of Nezumi that aid the Crab in the defense of our kingdom from the Shadowlands. In my opinion, the Nezumi do most of the work, but that's besides the point. The point is that we have no reason to bother her, and with this being Lion Territory, we have no obligation to tell them about her. I say we be on our way, unless Roppu would have us remain."

Ryoko nodded. "I'd appreciate the help." She followed Tokito and thought about telling Bei they were on their way. However, he probably overheard the conversation and knew where they were going and she didn't want to cast any more suspicious light on him so she didn't. But she did stop by the artist whose work he was looking over, gave it a thoughtful "Hm" and continued on her way.

In the end, the man (or cat?) had ignored the crowd on the road leading towards the city. Now, he bursts out of a salon and into the bustling streets, triumphant, and clean shaven. A bath, a shave, and clean clothes have done wonders to improve his mood. He holds a long staff in his hands, and he examines it carefully. The merchant had giving it to him for free when he had bought these clothes, although he wasn't sure why. The man looks up. He spots an artist, painting in the distance. A fox sits, watching nearby. The man tries his hand at whistling, and strolls casually over to the painter and the fox.

Bei took the time out of mentally critiquing the horrible painting to look up at the whistling man who walked over to the painting. A soft snickering noise could be heard (almost a sneeze) from the fox before turning, trotting after Ryoko, close to her feet. The thought of a bed and a bath appealed to him, too.

--------------------

The painter, meanwhile, continued on his work. Obviously a peasant painter, he was not classically trained, and it showed in his sloppy, sloppy work. It'd be amazing if he got a single copper piece for his work - which was way less than the cost of the materials. A shame, really.

--------------------

Roppu did wince, flinching backwards when he goes for his blades... and offers a confused look when he sets them on the ground, still shaking - she begins to move forward, opening her mouth as if to say something... when she spots the Crane samurai, causing her to vanish, hiding under her pile of loose treasures, no longer willing to show herself or speak.

[BG=#000099]Japik was really beginning to wish he at least understood Rokugani. From Roppu's quick brief, Samurai didn't exactly follow Nobless Oblige - quite the oposite, in fact, which dovetailed rather cleanly with his own observations. He refrained from taking any irrevocable action, however, preferring to allow Roppu to talk her way out of trouble if she could. If things went sour, he was fairly certain he could get to his sword in time to do something about it - people always assumed someone his size was slow.

He could hear Roppu stuttering from nervousness - even in a foreign language, only a stutter produced that choppy repetition - but she seemed to be holding her own. Until she ran. Japik swore under his breath. It shouldn't be hard to get rid of the two. All he would have to do would be to make his displeasure apparent, but finding Roppu afterwards would be....ah, shit. The smaller one took off after her.

He launched himself after, finding to his dismay that not only did the Crane do the same, the lighter man was predictably faster than him. Arriving at Roppu's hiding spot just in time to see her trying to reason with Ryo, he got an eyeful of her without her masking spell.

Immediately, he did as any sane citizen of Greyhawk would.

"Shit!" he yelled, his hand flying to the hilt of his sword. "Were!"

Then her voice processed. It was Roppu's - no mistaking that squeaky stutter. Roppu had been friendly, even helpful - hardly a quality one would expect to find in a Were. Besides, it was daylight. Morning, even. A were would be in human form in the daylight. He reminded himself that he was in a strange land now, with strange people - and races, apparently.

Pushing past the other two, he knelt in front of the hole where she would be able to see him and extended a hand so she could take it. "Roppu," he said, making a 'come here' gesture.

He was perfectly aware that he was exposing his back - and not comfortable with it in the least - but he hoped it was sending a message.
[/BG]

WIS check to think past knee-jerk reaction

Tikoti bowed again and motioned down the street. Its right this way." he lead her down the street to an inn and opened the door for her letting both of them in before closing the door behind them, every inch the helpful samaritan. He disappeared and returned with sake and two rough porcelain glasses. "Now if you'd honor me, I like to hear stories, and so far from home with such an unusual companion must have one of the better ones."

Ryoko nodded when he opened the door for herself and Bei and waited until he came back with a couple of cups and something to drink. "Sure ... But just one cup. Been a long journey and I could use a nap." She turned to the man in charge of the inn and got a room. One was all she could afford and she knew she'd have to find a way to make more gold soon.

Bei overheard the innkeeper telling Ryoko which room was hers and when she met his eyes, she tilted her head toward it. No reason why he couldn't enjoy the room and a bath while she stayed down here and entertained the newcomer.