Not Without Honour

I will get a post up at some point tonight. Sorry for the delay!

I will be making a post when I sober up a bit! (Day off means I tend to drink a little more then I should for a Tuesday. )

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
I am currently working on the history, but it may take a bit. I realised that there is no easy way for me to explain how traditional Japanese date-marking works, and I have not found any good websites to do this for me. So, I am pretty much winging it and molding what information I have on the topic into a simplified outline of Akuo's history.

Also, I wanted to let you all know how happy and excited I am about this. I made an IC and people are actually posting! This may be the sake talking, but damn it, I'm proud. Thank you all for the work you have put into this, and I sincerely hope I can continue to keep you all invested in this tale.

I am currently working on the history, but it may take a bit. I realised that there is no easy way for me to explain how traditional Japanese date-marking works, and I have not found any good websites to do this for me. So, I am pretty much winging it and molding what information I have on the topic into a simplified outline of Akuo's history.

Also, I wanted to let you all know how happy and excited I am about this. I made an IC and people are actually posting! This may be the sake talking, but damn it, I'm proud. Thank you all for the work you have put into this, and I sincerely hope I can continue to keep you all invested in this tale.
Kage about the posting :? I was actually hoping that with your permission I could remake my character today then post tomorrow or tonight. After seeing everyone else character I have come to realized that my character is very sub par what I usually create and would like a chance to fix my mistakes and make a character I would actually like to play xD Please please please?

To anyone that may know -- I have an ignorant question...

How do fire?

Matches? Flint? Something else?

Of course, Tone; I would rather you take the extra time than use a character you do not like.

Lane- Kuroki-san would carry a hiuchi-bukuro, a small leather tinderbox containing iron and quartz. The Japanese used what is called "percussion fire-starting", where iron or an iron-bearing stone (most commonly pyrite) is struck against a hard, glassy stone (quartz/agate/jasper). This strike actually tears fragments off the iron via friction, turning them into molten-hot "sparks". To be used for starting a fire, charcloth is held tight against the stones, then placed among tinder. The charcloth would not be used to light a pipe.

Also, around the castle, he might use an easier method for his pipe: keeping a cotton wick on him. He could just light the wick off any andon (oil-burning lamp) or shokudai (oil candle), then use it to light his pipe.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Short post was short -- but I wasn't sure what all to do with it. Sorry. I'll pick it up as we go.

Also, is "sōzu" correct? That's the kind of fountain that fills with water then pours it out, right?

Your post was beautiful, and not all that short- in other words, do not worry about it. And, yes, Sozu is the correct word.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
ayq9.jpg

Name: Nishi Koustem Norisane

Appearance:

Nishi-san looks almost identical to the man in the picture, save that his eyes are a steely gray blue and his hair is black.

Weapon(s):
"Daikoku Masamune"- The name of the Katana on his left hip. It was givin to his family as a gift 3 generations ago.

A short Wakizashi on his right which once belonged to his father.
A Kusari-fundo which was one of the first weapons the young boy had learned to use.

Personality:

Nishi-san has lived several different lifestyles, the result making him a humble man who can identify with both the rich and the peasants. He is kind, always going out of his way to help others including his fellow samurai. He is not however an angel. Stubborn like a mule he tends to but heads with people when he believes he is right. He can be hot tempered, easily brought to boil when people talk of his father and his family. As quick as he is to anger he is also quick to forgiveness. Whole heartily believing that everyone should have a second chance and that mistakes are gateways to better understanding of the world.
History:
Born in the province Tetsu-Tousho, Nishi was born into the home of the current Daimyo. His father was part of the Daimyo's personal guard of samurai. As one of the wealthiest providence in Aoku, young Nishi grew up accustomed to a high standard of living. Never knowing the strife outside the walls of his home.

One day while his father was guarding his lord while in town, a traveling Ronin saw it fit to challenge his father to a duel. His father lost, but instead of accepting his lost, the man thought himself cheated and struck while the Ronin had turned to leave, killing the man. Dishonored, Nishi's father was stripped of his title as Samurai and was banished from the Daimyos lands. His father, the only family Nishi had, took his son and left Tetsu-Tousho branded as a criminal, never to return.

The father and son traveled for several years like a ronin himself, never staying in one place for long, as he taught his growing son Kenjutsu, in paticular Nitojutsu or the two sword school. Finally steeling down in Seikki, their families ancestral home, Nishi was taught of how his great grandfather an outsider to these lands was conscripted into service of one of the warring Daimyo. Like a slave he worked for them until he found the opportunity to save his Daimyos life. His father was rewarded with several tokens of the Daimyos good faith. One being the right to train as a Samurai and become one of the Daimyos personal guard, a job his family had been doing since. The other a sword known Daikoku Masamune, one of the masters original works.

In the end, as Nishi came of age, his father gave him Daikoku Masamune and his own Wakizashi he had used to strike down the ronin. He had forced Nishi to use was his father had taught him and bring honor back to his families name. Sending him away, the father finaly committed seppuku to gain back what little honor he could. Like his father Nishi traveled as a ronin, before saving a young boy from a band of bandits and finding the eye of Kanegawa-domo. He then took him into his service were he has been faithfully protecting the lord for 3 years.

Extra:

-Nishi Adopted the surname of his gaijin heritage as a good luck charm of sorts. The man had been shipwrecked in these lands with nothing and became a hero and Nishi wished to do the same.

-Nishi was ambidextrous from birth making Nitojutsu and easy fit for the younger samurai.

-Nishi Ritually drinks a cup of hot sake in the morning and with each of his meals. His reasoning for it however flawed it might be, is to become tolerant of its effects enough to be able to enjoy a night of celebration without clouding his mind enough to drop his guard.

-Though Nishi would never admit to this, he does not believe in the gods and spirits that are worshiped in Auko. That beign said, he often meditates in the mornings coming closer to nature and its primal forces.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like that image, Tone. Though, is there a reason why he has a third name?

*Farnsworth voice* Good news everyone! We now have a "History of Akuo" tab in the first post! I tried to make sure I got everything covered, but if anything is unclear, I would be happy to give more information. Also, in the "Land of Akuo" tab, there is now a mini-spoiler under Okamimori. Inside is a bit of history and lore PetticoatLane wrote. If anyone else has ideas regarding the other prefectures, feel free to write it up and send it to me.

Last edited:
Koustem is not Japanese at all, either. Foreign blood?

It had been discussed that he had gaijin heritage, but it would be unusual for the name to carry down. Most gaijin that truly assimilated into Japanese culture took up new names.

Allright guys I finished the Cs, (would of been done last night but working ina resturant is never good at getting you home early. ) I awnsered the whole third name question in the cs but I will repeat my reasoning for it again here.

The name was not passed down, through his family. The name like you guys brought up would of been lost new one taken up as his ancester assimilated into the culture. They however thought it fit to remember the name because of the acts his great grandfather did as a gaijin. Nishi-san took up the name as a good luck charm as he began the road of reclaiming his families lost honor because it was Koustem who had first gained that honor. If you don't like it though I will be happy to change it.

relationships now! :D

Kiyomizu Hiroyuki- Being only a year Nishi-sans elder and skilled in the art of Nitojutsu like himself, Nishi sees the man as his rival. Nishi would always be training; always striving to out-do Kiyomizu-in the art of sword fighting. That being said, Nishi has no ill will to the man. In fact he regards Kiyomizu his closest friend out of all the samurai. Often times he could sit with the man for hours and talk toward him, regaling the man with his tales as he traveled as a ronin with his father. He enjoys the mans easy going personality and view. (As long as you are okie with me saying this.) Kiyomizu-san and Nishi-san have dueled several times and not once had one forced the other to surrender.

Suda Yurie- Nishi-sans opinion of Suda-san changes from the day and depends on the amount of Sake he has currently consumed. Usually he finds her icy demure off putting unlike Kiyomizu-san. Her knowledge and training as a shinobi however is what really sets him on edge. Nishi-san vehemently hates those with no regard for honor, ever since his father had taken his own life to return his own. However he understands how she feels as an outsider. He has faced his own problems with his lighter skin though no where near as bad as her. Which is why when he can he shows the younger samurai kindness.

Kikuichi Kirihime- Nishi-san quite frankly, might be, just maybe a little tad bit afraid of Kikuichi-sama. Knowing how tactifuly minded and straihgt forward she is he finds her slightly intimidating. Having traveled most of his life he never had a chance to meet a women so independent. He adores her in secret, though he would never say it aloud and always finds himself trying to impress her. He find those who would belittle her becuase of her gender as too stupid to be helped, knowing full well that when you get Kikuichi angry, you don't want to be in her way.

Kuroki Makoto- Kuroki is the most fun of all the samurai Nishi lives with. Both him and Nishi enjoys to have a drink or two and tell stories. While one lakes the poke fun Nishi loves to butt heads with Kuroki over the smallest of issues, willing to argue over anything from how many grains of rice are in a bowl to philosophy, not out of anger but becuase he enjoys the discussion.

Yōshanai Kaze- The only thing Nishi-san will say about the man is that he is waiting. Waiting for the moment he steps out of line so he could slive the man down himself. He does not speak unless spoken to when in regards to the man and gives him a large bearth.

• Love
Reactions: VerbalAbuse
*giggles. The part of him that hates the shinobi practices of the Suda clan still hasn't changed huh? I don't think her opinion of him has changed much.

I'm not sure if I want to ship Nishi with Hiroyuki or Kirihime, reading this. *giggling. :D:D:D

Revised:
@Tone Deaf - Compared to the other samurai she works with, Yurie respects Nishi-san the least. The impracticality, foolishness, and recklessness of drinking as a habit is, in her eyes, reason for her to look down on him. As with everyone else, she does not let this show in her attitude towards him. She treats him with the same, lady-like courtesy she treats most everyone she does not trust or respect. She can respect his obsession for honor, but he has attempted to pick fights with her for using her family's shinobi techniques, and poison on her weapons sometimes. This is yet another indicator to the albino that his understanding of the world lacks ruthless practicality. Simply because his eyes and skin are also a different color from the norm, she feels no sense of connection or camaraderie with him. Each person who is an outcast is alone. Even if they attempt to band together, they will only serve to alienate themselves further. He is not her, he has not had her experiences, why should she feel towards him any different from the unconcerned disregard with which she has dealt with everyone who has ever hurt her? He insults her clan daily, after all, which is a far greater offense than simply treating her as she was born to be treated. His hot temper, similar to Kikuichi-san's, can have no foreseeable merit in her eyes, and his kindness is both insulting and discomfiting. She does not want pity. She never has, and never will, and though he might treat everyone with the same kindness, she gets the distinct sense that for her it means pity.The one redeeming quality she sees in him is his humility, perhaps because she is precisely the opposite, but has never wanted to be. He can identify with both the rich and the poor, but she has had to keep herself above both, away from both equally. For him to be able to bond with both is enviable for her, and this one quality alone has led her to be quick to defend his honor if he is not there to do it himself.

Yurie has strict ideals on pity and gentility, which is also the reason she has no love for Kuroki-san. Pity means that you can look down on someone, and feel bad, as if their hardship is somehow under your understanding and control. Useless kindness brought on by her imperfections only serve as a reminder that to the rest of the world, even what she has fought to achieve holds no meaning. No matter what she does, no matter how strong she gets, there will always be those who pity her, and she hates that, because it means nothing will ever be enough. Understanding this, she refuses to feel pity for anyone else, only ever offering silent comfort to those who are hurting. She identifies with neither the poor nor the rich simply for the sake of her heart's own self-preservation, but that comes with loneliness. She sees both halves of the caste system as equal, b/c no matter where she turned, both sides saw her as equally contemptible, except the children - another reason she loves them from the bottom of her heart.

*giggles. The part of him that hates the shinobi practices of the Suda clan still hasn't changed huh? I don't think her opinion of him has changed much.

I'm not sure if I want to ship Nishi with Hiroyuki or Kirihime, reading this. *giggling. :D:D:D

Revised:
@Tone Deaf - Compared to the other samurai she works with, Yurie respects Nishi-san the least. The impracticality, foolishness, and recklessness of drinking as a habit is, in her eyes, reason for her to look down on him. As with everyone else, she does not let this show in her attitude towards him. She treats him with the same, lady-like courtesy she treats most everyone she does not trust or respect. She can respect his obsession for honor, but he has attempted to pick fights with her for using her family's shinobi techniques, and poison on her weapons sometimes. This is yet another indicator to the albino that his understanding of the world lacks ruthless practicality. Simply because his eyes and skin are also a different color from the norm, she feels no sense of connection or camaraderie with him. Each person who is an outcast is alone. Even if they attempt to band together, they will only serve to alienate themselves further. He is not her, he has not had her experiences, why should she feel towards him any different from the unconcerned disregard with which she has dealt with everyone who has ever hurt her? He insults her clan daily, after all, which is a far greater offense than simply treating her as she was born to be treated. His hot temper, similar to Kikuichi-san's, can have no foreseeable merit in her eyes, and his kindness is both insulting and discomfiting. She does not want pity. She never has, and never will, and though he might treat everyone with the same kindness, she gets the distinct sense that for her it means pity.The one redeeming quality she sees in him is his humility, perhaps because she is precisely the opposite, but has never wanted to be. He can identify with both the rich and the poor, but she has had to keep herself above both, away from both equally. For him to be able to bond with both is enviable for her, and this one quality alone has led her to be quick to defend his honor if he is not there to do it himself.

Yurie has strict ideals on pity and gentility, which is also the reason she has no love for Kuroki-san. Pity means that you can look down on someone, and feel bad, as if their hardship is somehow under your understanding and control. Useless kindness brought on by her imperfections only serve as a reminder that to the rest of the world, even what she has fought to achieve holds no meaning. No matter what she does, no matter how strong she gets, there will always be those who pity her, and she hates that, because it means nothing will ever be enough. Understanding this, she refuses to feel pity for anyone else, only ever offering silent comfort to those who are hurting. She identifies with neither the poor nor the rich simply for the sake of her heart's own self-preservation, but that comes with loneliness. She sees both halves of the caste system as equal, b/c no matter where she turned, both sides saw her as equally contemptible, except the children - another reason she loves them from the bottom of her heart.
I love it <33 And honestly I don't know which I would want to be shipped more with xD Their both so cool and awesome! <33

Reactions: firejay1
Agreed! He's a lot cooler now! I can even see Yurie falling for him.