Nightraven High School

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heidi walked into the room and wrinkled her nose. It smelled of half-baked ideals.

She sat gingerly on a couch.

Shah took a deep breath. Greenwoode's room always smelled like Spring or Summer even after everyone left, and the chirping insects were always a welcome auditory break from the stark silence of the rest of the school. She settled down onto a couch.

Professor Greenwoode yawned and then turned on a projector that somehow functioned even though it seemed to be made of only organic materials, "Well since most of you are here, I will suppose I'll get started. The Magic Plane, while infested with beings of the night, there are forests and swamps and plains etcetera. And in these environments there are herbs and other plants that can help ensure your survival should your expedition go longer than intended."

Professor Greenwoode grabbed some soil and in his hands grew a small plant that eventually sprouted a yellow flower, "This is a golden lily. They are found in swampy and forest areas. They can be crushed and can produce enough water to satisfy most thirsts. They are very common and you should definitely keep a look out for them."

To prove his point, he crushed the now fully bloomed flowers and water seeped from his hands onto his desk which was rapidly absorbed by the plants. Cap then pulled took a pot from his desk and revealed what appeared to be a venus fly trap at a glance, "These little guys are actually quite helpful. They produce medicine that cure the poison of Crawlers."

Lily, water. Flytrap, cure.

Pavel noted down furiously, and waited for the more interesting parts, like food.

Greg actually kind of liked this guy. Mostly because he seemed to know what he was talking about, in stark contrast to the previous teachers. "So when you say medicine, are we talking a topical ointment or an injection or what?"

Alice is a little surprised when he gets directly to the point, but she certainly doesn't mind. She sits up and pays attention to the plants as he presents them, trying to commit to memory what the things looked like.

She does open her mouth to ask a question, but closes it when Greg beats her to the punch.

"It's usually an ointment. But it can be mixed in with water and ingested orally. It's incredibly bitter so I wouldn't recommend drinking it unless you really have to. The medicine begins to work four minutes after application and usually take about a minute and a half after oral ingestion," Cap answered, "It's their saliva that you should collect. These things will drool after every meal, so feeding it a fly or a very small piece of meat will definitely get it to salivate."

Cap put the plant down gently and rose his hand up to catch a ripe fruit that fell from the ceiling. It was the same color as a mango. Cap opened the fruit and revealed that it had the same insides as a watermelon, "This fruit is edible. It grows in forests only and young critters seem to carry them around often. They are a great source of food. All I can say is that the fruit here doesn't hold many differences between the ones you and I are used to. They're just a little backwards in terms of appearance. This fruit really does taste like watermelon just with the skin of a mango. However that doesn't mean they are all safe."

Cap pulled out a delicious looking fruit that resembled the look of a fully ripe and delicious peach, "This is poisonous. One bite could make you Snow White's long lost relative. The only downside is that a kiss will not wake you up. I've never tried it personally. I will admit that. However, I've seen others eat it and some people do not wake up. If the poison of the fruit doesn't kill you, you will probably wake up after a couple of days. On the plus side, predators will leave you alone, thinking you dead."

Alfredo walked into the classroom, unaware of how late he may be. He saw what he thought should be the teacher, "Hola professor." He looked at all around the room, and then the teacher again, and figured he might as well say, "Ah I'm sorry for being late, fuma mota todos los dias." Alfredo then made a smoking gesture. Perfect, there was no better way to get away with being late with this kind of teacher without this phrase. He then took a seat in the far back of the room.

Greg nodded to Alfredo as he came in, "Speaking of predators, can these fruits kill them, too?"

"Hm. I've never really thought about, but I suppose it could kill some of them. I'm not really sure, but it really couldn't hurt to try it out some time. If you were going to try it out, I would target the more carnivorous creatures seeing as they don't like plants to begin with." Cap mused.

He scratched his head, "Well I'm not sure what else to move onto. I really don't want to overload you all with different plants to remember. Are you guys okay with more memorizing or do you have specific questions?"

Cap shook his head at Alfredo and just looked on, slightly irritated to say the least.

Alice looks at Alfredo as he enters. She's pretty puzzled at what he said, and ontop of that has no clue why he's miming smoking something. Instead of trying to figure it out, she just decides to ask him after class.

Heidi raised a hand. "You speak of water-gazzering plants. Zis implies zat ve vill be in ze field long enough to require foraging. I vould like to know if ze creatures ve fight against are zemselves edible. Zis could help us in a difficult time or barren area."

Hearing Heidi's question, Alfredo started to imagine all the ways he could cook the crawler he saw before. "Hmm, maybe a menudo? I wonder if the tail is edible, I could probably just turn that into something chorizo-like." He mumbled.

Zeke, who was their all along raises his hand "ARE THEIR ANY PLANTS THAT AREN'T DANGEROUS?"

Cap let out a nervous laugh, "That's Professor Salazyn's subject, but expeditions usually don't go on longer than a day. As for what dark creatures are edible... well none of them. You have to remember, that they are made through the sacrifice of something living. There are however normal creatures amongst them, like deer, bucks, moose, and rabbits. Mostly forest critters. They aren't hostile. Well most of them aren't. Wolves and bears could be hostile, but I'm sure that won't be a problem for most of you."

"Anyway, there is another plant I guess I should mention. It's called stranglekelp and just and as the name suggests, it's kelp that will literally strangle its victims to death. I don't have any of it on me of course, but I have a feeling you should watch out for it if you find yourself swimming in a large body of water. And if you were here Zeke, you would have known that harmless plants were the first thing I mentioned."

"ARE THEIR ANY THAT DON'T WANT TO KILL US? NOT EVEN EATABLE, JUST LIKE A TREE THAT DOESN'T TRY TO GRAB US, OR A VINE THAT WON'T WANT TO DEFILE US." Zeke blasts "BECAUSE ALL OF THESE SEEM BAD."

"Kelp that strangles people to death, uh... You know what, I'm just not going to go into the water. If the plants in there strangle you to death, I don't want to see what the monsters do." Probably double strangle you to death or something.

"Yes there are. Trees won't try to grab you, and the vines that grow on them won't defile you. For the most part, the forests here are pretty peaceful if you take out the dark creatures. The grass here is exceptionally green," Cap commented, "Just be careful on what types of fruit and plants you eat. Most of them are edible, but there are ones unsafe to eat and that's what I can teach you about."

He moved around his room a bit. He put the projector away. Cap thought he would have used it, but it turns out he didn't need for the type of work he was doing. He just shrugged and sat on his desk. He was actually really tired. He just wanted to take a long nap and be surrounded by nature.

"So, uh. Is class over or something?" He didn't really look like he was in the mood to do any more teaching.

Pierre hadn't been listening all class, so he really didn't notice when the professor just kind of slouched over in his chair and spent his time looking at himself in his pocket mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.