Naruto - Squad Thirteen's Journey (In Character)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atsuki had to admit that it was hardly comfortable having people talk about his home-life, especially without being able to get a word in. But Atsuki could take solace in the fact that it was all meaningless - though not baseless - conjecture and that the probably had no idea what they were talking about. Nevertheless it was fortunate that it didn't go the way of the previous statements within the conversation and ended rather quickly. Though of course, something like that meant that his sensei's attention was focused back on to him. Atsuki nodded. "Indeed," he answered tersely with a curt nod. He didn't make an effort to explain to his sensei why, because he wanted to know where the man was going with the question.

The young Uchiha thought on his sensei's words. As much as he'd rather not admit it, Mitsunari was right, or at least more right than Atsuki himself was right now. Maybe he needed to think about differently. 'That's right, sometimes you need to lower your head so you can pick up your blade,' he mused as his sensei continued on about scheduling their session and then into a lecture about goals and setting them, or rather, short term goals and setting those. Admittedly, Atsuki hadn't much in the form of short-term goals other than live, defeat his enemies, grow stronger, and stay clean. But even those could be considered long-term goals rather than short term ones. He supposed he did need concrete short-term goals; he'd have to work on that later. "No questions," Atsuki answered, turning away from the group, "I'm returning home. I'll see you two at the park tomorrow."

"I didn't dismiss you but fine go ahead just prepared for tomorrow I don't half ass training. Remember what I put you through will be all your choice. I'm dismissing Team 13 for today. Good night kids." Mitsunari said vanishing in a moment's notice almost like he wasn't there in the first place leaving Mitsuhide gaping at the nothingness. He didn't even see him use his legs...what kind of training was he asking for exactly? Mitsuhide shook his head as suddenly his uncle came down next to him in a rather blunt manner as he put his arm on his nephew's shoulder, "You know he always was a pain in the ass...even when your sensei was younger he didn't really care much for enforcing things. I bet you could get away with a lot with him Mitsuhide. Just don't let him know I said that. Come on mommy wants you home bucko." his uncle said to him as Mitsuhide looked up at him and nodded. "You probably heard about the mission right?" Mitsuhide said as his uncle chuckled and shook his head confirming he didn't. Mitsuhide gave a nonchalant and rather blunt good bye to Atsuki before leaving. Mitsuhide and his uncle jumped up onto the nearest building and moved towards the Senju Clan's Compound not too far away from the gate as the duo started to talk about what was for dinner on the way home. His uncle congratulated him on a day's work well done even if he didn't really complete the mission he expected a lot from the budding ninja from the Hidden Leaf's Senju Clan.

Atsuki replied to Mitsunari's advisory with nothing but a single word - "Noted." - to indicate that he'd heard what the elder shinobi had said. He wasn't too worried though; he was no stranger to extensive training sessions. In fact, he welcomed them, even despite his distaste for becoming unclean. He ignored the scene with Mitsuhide and his father or uncle or elder brother or whatever that man was to him, and continued trudging on towards his home, making an effort to be seen by the least amount of people. Say what you will about the supposed sexiness of bear-induced scars, but he doubted that that extended to a shirt with a bunch of cuts in the back.

After a bit of walking Atsuki finally made it back to the Uchiha compound, with all its intimidating walls and clan symbols emblazoned on them. Though he was safely nestled within 'home ground', Atsuki still made a point of avoiding the other clan members. The less people who could tell 'father', the better. Worrying about Kenshin spilling any beans was more than what he would like. Once he caught sight of his home in particular, he thought he was in the clear.

He was not.

"Atsuki." That voice cut the air like a knife, it's owner an Uchiha - obviously, who else would be romping around this compound? - with a blade sheathed at his side: Uchiha Arata, Atsuki's 'father'. "A little birdie told me you started a scene at the gates today," that man said those words without a change of expression or even tone, the same way one might state an obvious fact, but Atsuki could still feel the implicit disdain and disappointment dripping from his words, "Behavior like that is unacceptable. I expected more from the so-called 'heir to the Uchiha'... but I suppose it's only natural for a lie to be unable to withstand the truth." Arata eyed Atsuki's shirt, eyebrow raised, "...For your sake, I hope that damage is because Kohaku-san sent you into a mission far above a genin's paygrade, rather than a result of your own helplessness." Atsuki reached into his kunai holster, drawing out one of the weapons in question. He knew what came next. Atsuki raised his leg and curled his arm to absorb the roundhouse. That was his first and only mistake: he left his other leg - the only one on the ground - open for the sweep.

"Is that the best you can do, even after all that training? I have to say, I'm not impressed." Stamped on his chest, not enough to break his ribs, but just enough to make it feel like he did. "Kuh...!" Before he could recover and continue the fight, the glint of a sword at his neck stopped him in his tracks. Dammit, he didn't even manage to get an attack out, and this time he knew what was coming. "You managed to survive your mission, but you have a lot more to go before you can start romping around with a care in the world." Atsuki's surrogate parent sheathed his sword before leaving Atsuki there on the ground, without even a goodbye to signal his departure.

Left alone with his thoughts and the throbbing pain in his torso, Atsuki sighed and slowly, painfully began to get to his unsteady feet. "Tch," he hissed under his breath as entered his house, "It's not like I haven't told myself that a bunch of times already, asshole." He then found his room, lazily tossed everything to the side, and went straight for the showers. After all, he needed to cleanse himself of this filth.

Mitsuhide returned home in quick fashion with his uncle patting him on the back and wishing him a good night before vanishing. He always remembered his uncle as being that cool guy who would always be there for him. Even now his uncle proved himself as reliable as he had always been. When Mitsuhide walked he his mother greeted him with a hug as Mitsuhide smiled and hugged her tightly as she kissed him on the cheek and gave him a quick look over before telling him to stand still as she noticed he was walking funny and proceeded to use medical ninjutsu to treat some of his aches and pains. "Mom you know I'm not a baby anymore you know." Mitsuhide quietly mumbled as his mother smiled and shook her head, "You're far too young to let you go just yet. Just because your teacher is a tough man doesn't mean I'm going to be a tough mom from now on." she said to Mitsuhide who acknowledged his mother's comment with a smile as he hugged her tighter at which she asked him to ease up a bit and he did. "Mom I love you...and I always will. I just hope I can make you and dad proud...I want to be a strong young man. I want to be a pillar for this clan. I'm my grandfather's grandson! I may not get to be hokage, and I don't intend to be one either, but I will make myself into a person worth respecting one way or another. My teachers Mina and Hiyato always said to stick strong too your ninja path...My path...my path is going to be a long one but with Mitsunari Sensei's help and with time I'll make a name for myself I promise you." Mitsuhide said as his mother teared up a little at her son's energetic and magnetic sense of optimism for the future. Even with his father being rarely able to see him he still fought on hard and fiercely. It was like she was watching her own father grow up. Hashirama Senju had always been a doting father and even though he was gone...Mitsuhide could and will take up his stance. Her uncle always did say that if she adjusted herself to a stronger training retinue she'd be able to grow as strong as anyone...but that wasn't for her. Her only interest was in helping people not becoming a juggernaut. And so she was banking all on her boy...

Mitsuhide was quickly able to get away from his mother soon after telling her he'd come down for dinner soon but he needed to unpack his stuff and get ready for his training tomorrow. Mitsuhide had a determined smile on his face...he'd reach out and grasp the world one day...he'd just need to try.

===

Chapter 2: The Land of Rivers: The Crimson Dragon Bares His Fangs

It was three weeks later and Mitsunari had forced both Mitsuhide and Atsuki through some pretty endurance heavy testing forcing them to use some of their strongest jutsu and maintain them giving critiques and showing them how they could possibly improve them. He had fitted them with extra weighted gear on their chests that hampered them while doing so and had even brought in Mina Sensei to help them at one point due to a road block. Though they had continued doing missions Mitsunari made it a priority to have the boys keep up their training. He drove them to a near breaking point on many days and even had them try to climb trees without the use of their hands using chakra but that failed and he stated he would attempt that at a later date and then proceeded on with his usual regiment. Through use of weighted gear and an intense workout regiment installed by Mitsunari the two genin of clan Senju and Uchiha both learned how to handle some of their jutsu and techniques with ease and effectiveness and had even inspired the two to start trying to learn more ninjutsu. But not all of the members of Team 13 were so eager, the Sarutobi girl quickly and blatantly became disinterested with the group not even bothering to show up to a couple missions at one point. So Mitsunari had decided that it would be best to trade away the dysfunctional team member with one of her cousins who was also having issues with his own team. Mitsuhide didn't specifically remember the kid but he was supposed to have been in another graduating class. The few Sarutobi clan was seemingly going to be a main stay inside of the Team 13. With the trade proceeding without much issue Mitsunari stating that he didn't really want any kids who didn't listen to his words and the team would be better off without him. Though Neji of Clan Sarutobi didn't receive any training from Mitsunari due to the team finally starting to focus on work again Mitsunari stated that he would meet the group at the restaurant he had previously taken the two original members too. Neji at this point has only recently been incorporated into the team and has not yet met either of his two team mates. The Time is 11:00 and the meeting scheduled for 12:30 with Mitsunari assuring them he wouldn't poison the food....or maybe he would if they didn't pay attention to him. His reason for the meeting unknown but when he had spoken to the two regular pupils and the newer one individually he had sounded less than flattered about something or another, more than usual at any rate. With clouds covering the sky it seemed like an ominous day indeed.

====

Mitsuhide was at home as he usually was but this time his mother was out and he was sitting inside with sore shoulders and some ice packs covering both. His mother decided that he wouldn't learn anything if she just went and used her ninjutsu to ease all of his burdens. Mitsuhide had declared himself a big boy and while his mother doted on him she still knew when it was best for the boy to handle it on his own. Mitsuhide himself was already feeling better...unlike most people he had the strange ability to heal himself up rather quickly by resting. He heard the Uzumaki Clan had insane recovery abilities themselves but he figured those were just rumors. No one could heal faster than him after all. I mean it only took him a day or two of rest to fully regain his strength from an intense training regiment. Mom said it had been a trait of the Senju that their cells replenished themselves quicker.

However noticing that time was running out Mitsuhide sighed and slowly lifted himself up off the couch and walked to the kitchen and pulled out the first aid kit after putting the ice back into the cooler. He then went and wrapped his sore spots up with some bandages though they were light and were only there so that he didn't moved those areas too much. He went over and grabbed his headband. It was still shiny and the black cloth was still in great condition. He decided to wrap it around his left arm and then he armed himself just for good measure taking some of his weapons from his room upstairs before rushing out. "I sure hope Mitsunari doesn't chew me out if I'm late..."

Last edited:
It was 11:00 in the morning but the day for Neji Sarutobi had started hours ago. He awoke at 6:00 in the morning so he could get some early morning training in with his father. His father was a Jounin in the village and had just gotten back from a mission, so he had he day off today and had told Neji that he would train him early in the morning. Today they worked on his chakra control and worked on improving his jutsu. It was an intense few hours that they worked together. Neji wanted to be prepared for his meeting with his new sensei and squad mates. Neji hadn't been training with them yet as today was going to be his first day with his new squad. He had heard some things about his new sesnei that he was tough and had very intense training, so Neji wanted to be as prepared as possible.

Neji returned to his home as he was going to clean and freshen himself up after his morning training. Neji was not really expecting to be in his postion, to all of a sudden be put into a new squad. When he graduated the acadmey he was put into a squad with Shikaroku Nara and Masami Hyuga. Their sensei was Ryoko Lee. The squad worked well in the beggining but then after a failed mission, Masami started going off on her own and the squad unfortunately fell apart. To be honest, Neji had a big part of the squad falling apart as he and Masami were constatsly at each others throats. Neji was happy to be getting a fresh start and hoped that things would go better with his new squad. He didn't know what to expect. He hadn't even be told who his two squadmates would be. The only thing that he knew was that his new sensei was Mitsunari. Someone his father said was a very strong shinobi, someone who knew the ways of the shinobi and someone that Neji should listen too. He also told him that Mitsuanri could be harsh but that if he listened to him, that Mitsunari would turn Neji into a fine shinobi.

After getting himself ready it was now 12:15 they were supposed to meet at 12:30 it would take Neji about ten minutes to walk from his house to the restauraunt. He said goodbye to his parents as he headed out the door and headed towards the restauraunt. Neji was nervous but excited to meet his new team. Hopefully things would work out a lot better with his new squad.

It wasn't very surprising to anybody that knew him even a little bit, but Uchiha Atsuki had been sitting like a statue at the restaurant booth their sensei had reserved for the past - He glanced at the clock - 34 minutes. It was natural, he supposed. The early bird may get the worm, but that's only because no other birds were out yet. Though today he'd arrived a bit earlier than his usual 30 minutes ahead, if only to see if this new teammate of theirs was an early bird or not. So far, didn't seem like it was the case. On the bright side, he could use this time to reflect on things.

Atsuki woke up early today, of course. He had to get in his daily routine of preparations then early morning training. After all, it's not as if their sensei gave them a late meeting time for the sake of letting them sleep in. Though he couldn't say his training was 100% productive these last few days. Ever since their sensei had introduced that damned tree walking exercise, Atsuki was going crazy trying to master it. He may not have been overzealous in his efforts - he had to sharpen his other now-improved jutsu as well - but he'd definitely contributed his fair share of training to the exercise. At first, his chakra emission was always too powerful. When he learned that, it became too weak. He needed to figure out the happy medium or he'd never get anywhere. Fortunately that wasn't the case with the rest of his jutsu. Mitsunari-sensei's training was, indeed, a huge undertaking, even huger than his own self-imposed training, but he came out better for it. As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger or permanently cripples you. As he had full control of all his bodily functions, the result was evidently the former of those two.

He looked at the clock again. Only 15 minutes until the scheduled time. He hadn't had lunch yet, so his thoughts wandered to that first day. 'I have time to get lunch from a neighboring ramen shop,' he thought, mentally crunching the numbers in his head, 'And since we have a new member, there's a higher probability of his arranging to spike our food with something...' His brow furrowed. 'No, sensei seemed unnaturally serious about this; if it's really that important, he shouldn't be fooling around like that.' Whatever the case, his allotted window of time for buying ramen from somewhere else had run out. 'No use speculating; I'll just look over the food when it comes.' Atsuki leaned back in the seat, waiting.

As Atsuki was waiting a young boy who was familiar to him walked up to him and smiled. It was Ryu from class it would seem he was having lunch at the same place today and he wasn't alone one of his teammates. However only Ryu was interested enough to say hello. "Well if it isn't Atsuki? How you doin' dude? Missions going good? I heard from Kenshin at the gate you got attacked by a bear! How did you get out of that one?" Ryu said with a interested expression as his teammate groaned at the sight of Ryu asking questions. Why the two of them were here without their teacher was a mystery maybe it was just a day out for the two of them. Regardless they were here but one thing in particular was interesting about Ryu. He looked a bit fatigued with black bags under his eyes and some bruising on his neck and arms.

As the young Uchiha sat in his booth, staring at the opposite seat, a shadow covered his vision. Was it perhaps his new teammate? No, it was Ryu and friend. Apart from a curt wave, he didn't do much in the way of greeting. Not that that was really unexpected of him though.

Next Ryu began to press him with questions, but when Ryu got to the 'bear attack' almost did a spit-take. Almost. If he'd been drinking water or something like those nice but annoyingly persistent waitresses had offered, he undoubtedly would have done so. But he did not, so he did not. 'Well... I didn't actually think Kenshin would believe me,' he thought incredulously, his usual blase demeanor penetrated by a furrowed brow and widened eyes. For a moment, he debated whether it would be better to nip this in the bud, or just let it go on. In the end, he opted for the honest approach. It would be best for the long run, after all. Besides, it wouldn't do well to lie to allies, especially not allies that he'd personally motivated to fight on equal terms later.

"Fine and yes, for your first two questions," Atsuki answered simply before moving on to a more blunt tone, "The bear attack was a joke taken surprisingly seriously...not that I blame him for it; my personality does not lend towards obvious humor, but my sensei said it would be advantageous to tell people that it was the aforementioned woodland creature, so I decided to test the waters so to speak." Well that wasn't exactly the case, but whatever. Close enough. He did a feigned shrug. "If you want to know what really happened, I got slashed in the back by Hatsuno Kobaiashi, some ninja-hunting bandit commander, after I struck down most of his men. It may sound bad, but I was better off than the others. He was finally defeated by the combined efforts of my team."

"But that's enough about me," Atsuki waved his hand, "What about you, those bruises, and that tired look? Stressful training or a dangerous mission? Furthermore, what brings you to this part of town?"

Ryu look Atsuki with disappointment as if he had just eaten a bitter pill. "Really boss? That's pretty cool but generic. I mean what says cooler more than 'I fought a bear and won'? Yeah a bandit dude like that is an accomplishment and all but it was just a guy. He couldn't have been that good if he got taken out by guys on our level...though you are better than most genin aren't you?" Ryu stated with slight indifference but it was clear he had been hoping for more. "Don't blame Kenshin though he's a pretty cool guy he just wants to help you out a bit I'm sure. I do miss Hiyato though...he was fun and he taught me a lot." Ryu further commented as he waved his teammate away and told him he'd meet him outside. However when Ryu was asked about his body he blushed slightly embarrassed, "I'm...I'm still not good enough. I've been working so hard but my sensei just tells me it will take time. My old man had been giving additional help but it just seems like I'm not good enough. I made a promise too you: I'd become strong enough to take you on. If I can do that then I can prove even someone like me can achieve stuff in the big leagues. Too me you are as big as it gets. I saw you training in the courtyards when we were kids and it made me think I was slacking in comparison. I don't want to sound like some humble little dude in a big pond but the truth is until I can break my current mold I won't be able to take you on. Can't say what my training is because it's a secret...but...it's pretty big stuff." Ryu admitted with a quiet demeanor about him. He clutched as his arm that had a bandage on it and he took a deep breath. "As for why I'm here...well I just wanted to chill out with my team. My sensei and other teammate left earlier but me and Hanzo have been chatting about stuff. Nothing special stuff like girls, training, the future, and our plans when we finally hit chunin. I know I can get there...I just need to get the chance." Ryu commented with a smile as he shifted his hand to his head and rubbed it. He was being frank and honest to Atsuki. It wasn't everyday that someone would act like this but Ryu just seemed to be that sort of person.

"That's what I thought, but our sensei called us back to the village afterwards and had other ninja take out the rest," Atsuki shrugged, impassively brushing off the boy's disappointment, "We did, technically, fulfill our objective though. So I suppose any more bandit hunting would be a waste of time and effort. Whatever the case, what happened, happened. No use wondering about what could have been." A cocky grin then spread across his face at mention of his superior skill level. "And don't think you have to ask me of all people about that," he said, answering Ryu's question, "Of course I am, and you'd do best not to forget it." Then he went back to his usual deadpan.

"I don't blame Kenshin for anything," he shook his head, "Besides, as you and my sensei said, bears make for a better story anyway." Atsuki leaned back in his seat and extended his arm towards the empty seat across from him, inviting the ninja to take a seat. "I don't necessarily miss our two Academy sensei. Besides, it's not like we can't just walk over to the Academy to exchange pleasantries on our free time," he said, "Plus I prefer my teacher's practical teaching methods better, even if I can't help but... disagree with some of his traits."

When Ryu began to talk about his training, Atsuki stayed silent and listened attentively and respectfully. "I understand," Atsuki replied once he finished. He didn't press for more information about this special training - ally confidentiality was an important issue, especially for a clan that had the ability to copy techniques - but if he had to make an educated guess, he'd have to say it was pretty clearly some kind of physical body training. For what end, he didn't know. He'd heard of a few powerful ninjutsu that required high physical parameters, and general taijutsu was all physical ability. From the type of wounds, Atsuki would have to guess something to do with speed or endurance - getting hit, or avoiding getting hit. He could emphasize with that kind of sentiment. "There's always a bigger fish, though," Atsuki commented, words free from his usual egoist bravado when it came to discussing his own skills, "I need something to strive towards too, after all." Sure, he wanted to get stronger, but strength for the sake of strength wasn't a powerful enough conviction in his eyes. In that sense, what he said was true, but how it was true was different.

"I'll hold you up to that, then," Atsuki stated resolutely after a short moment of silence following Ryu's last statement, "Make Chuunin and carry out all those plans you and your teammate spoke of." The way he said it was less of a challenge, and more like a command. "My sensei talked a bit about the necessity of goals," he continued, thinking back to what Mitsunari said earlier. Ryu was being frank, so Atsuki figured he ought to give honest advice. Besides, he had neither the want nor the need to sabotage the boy's life. "I believe he said something along the lines of 'what you accomplish now changes what you can do in the future' as well as 'to be a great ninja you got to be able to set goals'?"

"Thanks...but trust me I'm getting stronger by the day. I just need to prove myself. I'm sure when I hit chunin I'll be steps away from jounin. It's a long time away until we will be able to say we're true ninja but i know that day will come and when it does I'll grasp it in both hands. I have a dream...to protect the innocent people of this village. To show them you don't need to be afraid even if you start out as a nobody you can become a somebody. If I can do just one of those things with my life then it will be well worth spent. But one day...I'd like to have a family of my own. Ha but what am I saying? I mean I'm just fourteen years old after all I got my whole life ahead of me. No wars are happening, and nothing has changed at home besides some bandit troubles. It's not like I'm going anywhere anytime soon. So yeah you get yourself ready for the chunin exams because by then I'll be ready to knock you off the pedestal of yours. I will become that strong and I will be the best shinobi I can possibly be." Ryu said with a puffed up chest as he looked out the window nearby as the crowds walked by the gate. He had a bright gleamer in his eyes that spoke volumes about his determination. He was working hard, really hard, and he had no intention of stopping ala something game changing like a paralyzed limb. Ryu may be from Clan Hoshita, a generic clan with no real background, but it said something that he wanted to make something of himself and wasn't content with merely being average.

Neji made his way to the restaurant smiling and making pleasantries with people he knew in the village. Neji was both nervous and excited to meet his new squad. Neji really hoped that this squad would work out and that it could be a squad that he could become friends with and go up through the ranks with.

Neji stood outside the restaurant as he looked around outside to see if maybe perhaps one of his teammates was waiting outside. He didn't see anyone around that looked like a shinobi. Maybe he was the first to arrive? He was five minutes early but nonetheless he went inside to look. When he walked in he smiled at the hostess. She was older than him by a few years and she was very cute.

Neji looked around the restaurant when he spotted two boys about his age sitting at a table talking. There were four chairs and only two were being used which through Neji's deduction skills he assumed that they were his teammates. Neji made his way over to them, " Hello, my name is Neji Sarutobi, Im assuming you guys are my new squadmates. Well it is nice to meet you guys."

Neji knew who one of them was. The one was Atsuki Uchiha, he was apparenty supposed to be the next head of the Uchiha clan one day. Someone that Neji would love to get a chance to spar against.

"Actually my man I'm not you're teammate, well at least not yet, I'm just a classmate of Atsuki. I was catching up too him about stuff. But nice to meet you. Name's Ryu Hoshita. I mean it's not as prestigious as Sarutobi but it's still something I like to think. If you'd prefer I'll leave you guys alone and too your own devices." Ryu stated plainly as he looked over to Neji and then patted him on the shoulder with a smile. "You got your work cut out for you though. Atsuki's got a bit of an ego on him. Good luck out doing him."

Neji looked down as Ryu started talking to him. Neji found out that he wasn't one of his teammates. He was just a friend of his teammate Atsuki. "Well it's nice to meet you too, and in the end it doesn't matter what your last name is. You still need to go out and work to prove thst you're as good of a shinobi as you say you are. Just because my last name is Sarutobi doesn't mean that I can just mess around with my training. I'm sure Atsuki here knows thst better than me, his clan is more prestigeous than mine." Neji watched as Ryu got up out of his chair, he then patted him on the shoulder and gave him some advice. Neji smirked and laughed a little bit. "Thanks for the heads up, but I think I can handle it."

Neji than took a seat at the table as it was now just him and Atsuki.

"A powerful ninja, a protector of the people," Atsuki mused before seemingly coming to a conclusion and addressing Ryu directly, "Seems like you want to be Hokage." He let that comment hang in the air for a second. "I'm personally not interested in that position; I imagine dealing with both village politics and multiple clans' politics would be absolutely grating." Despite what skills he had that made him well-suited to political maneuvering - pragmatism, eloquence, the best pokerface this side of chunin, etc. - having to deal with that on a far larger scale would be way too inconvenient. Hell, he had a hard time not boring himself to death when he had to follow Arata around on political BS as it was now. No thank you. Leading the clan when he got older would be good enough for him.

Anyway, there were more interesting things to be said. "Lofty words, Hoshita-kun. I'm looking forward to it," Atsuki replied, an almost excited smirk playing at the corners of his lips, "Be warned though: I've no intention of making it easy for you. You might be getting tougher, but don't think I've started shirking work just because I've ranked up."

Then another ninja walked in. Young like them, and making small-talk with waitresses. He approached them and introduced himself as Atsuki and Mitsuhide's new teammate, Neji. He kept quiet as the two spoke to each other. "It seems my group's business is going to be commencing shortly," Atsuki explained, "Unless you want to talk with Senju-san, I think it'd be best if you got back to that teammate you have waiting for you out there." He bid Ryu farewell with a curt wave. "Don't die. I'll be very disappointed in you if you do," he stated flatly. He didn't much believe in good luck or anything insubstantial like that, so he did the best he could in terms of a good goodbye.

With Ryu out, Atsuki turned his attention to the Sarutobi boy across from him. Wordlessly, he assessed his new teammate. He certainly carried himself much less casually than his cousin, Haruko. He didn't even look much like her either, what with pink and green vs black and blue. "Uchiha Atsuki," he introduced formally, despite all the unofficial intros that he'd assumed were given by prior senseis and Ryu himself. He extended his hand for a shake. "Pleasure to be working with you," he said, "I hope we can work well together."

"Hokage? Yeah no I'm not that ambitious. I don't think it's worth going that high up I'd be awful with the paper work and stuff. I'm just a grunt who wants to be good at smacking around the bad guys." Ryu commented to Atsuki as he shrugged unsure about what else to say on the matter.
"But yeah if I stay long that means I'm going to miss practice's usual time. I got a lot of stuff to do with my sensei today. I hope your teacher takes good care of you as for me I don't plan on dying anytime soon so you can count on me sticking around. Tell Senju I said hi. Mitsuhide always was a pretty cool guy around school. Not everyone can claim to be best friends with half the class." Ryu said before he walked out the door his teammate looking at him with disdain as the two left the two genin to their own devices.

Neji looked across the table as he heard his new teammate state his name and extend his hand out to shake. Neji extended his own hand out and took hold of Atsukis as they shook hands. "Sarutobi Neji, as I assume you already heard. It's a pleasure to be working with you as well. I'm sure that we will work well together." They stopped shavings hands as Neji sat there looking around at the resturaunt and then back to his new teammate. "So my cousin was in your squad before? She can be handfull as I'm sure you're well aware. She has the skills to be a good kunoichi, but really lacks the discipline. So as the son of the head of the Sarutobi clan I apologise any trouble she may have caused you. Her heart is in the right place, she just needs to focus more."

Neji didn't want to ramble on about his cousin anymore. He was sure everything he had just said he really didn't need to say, but his father told him before he left to meet his new squad he should say something for the clan. Now with that out of the way he could focus on gettin to know his squad a little bit. "So Atsuki who else is in this squad? They didn't tell me anything about my new squadmates and sensei. I already know that you your self are quite impressive for a genin at least that is what I have heard."

"Well Sarutobi-san, you certainly seem more courteous than your cousin already," Atsuki remarked as the two of them shook hands. As he retracted his hand back to his lap, he added, "I've yet to determine if that's a good thing or not, however; I'll give you the benefit of the doubt." He leaned back into his seat. Indeed, the new Sarutobi had accepted his introductory gesture in kind, spoke respectfully, arrived on time to a meeting, and had not yet asked him to participate in some queer humor-based activity. Not that that last bit was entirely a bad thing; he'd been told by a few people that his 'straight man' had improved... Whatever that meant. He sat in his seat impassively as Neji went on with an overly verbose apology for his cousin's faults. 'Did he rehearse that?' Atsuki thought, shaking his head in disapproval (though to anyone else it might have looked like a head shaken for denial). He was, after all, the Uchiha clan heir, so having to hear and/or say trite comments like Neji's were dime-a-dozen. "Nevermind that. I understand why you're saying it," he stated flatly, "But there's no need to apologize to me. Nobody died, I got more training time, and she hadn't offended me enough so I don't really care. The only person who might need - or want, depending on his mood - to hear that is Mitsunari-sensei."

Atsuki glanced at the clock. "We have time, so I suppose I can give you a brief rundown," he agreed, shifting into a more comfortable, more convenient position for exposition.

"You'll probably want to start off with Mitsunari-sensei, yes?" the Uchiha asked rhetorically, "Our teacher - actually, it would be a stretch to call him even that. He's more of a mentor or advisor. He's the type who teaches by doing, and is very sink-or-swim. He won't spoon feed you either; you have to take initiative for your own training, goals, and such. Hopefully all of that isn't too foreign for you." He sneered out that last part. Strange. From how he talked to Ryu earlier, he didn't look to be the sneering type. "Personalitywise, he's," Atsuki paused, trying to think of a way to phrase this respectfully in case the man was watching, "He's no Academy instructor. He won't coddle you like some mother hen, and he's not one to waste time on pleasantries. If you're weak at heart or something I'd advise you find a new squad for your own sake."

"Next there's Senju Mitsuhide. A nice respectable kid, good at what he does," Atsuki shrugged. There was a bit more he could say about Mitsuhide, but he didn't feel like airing out any dirty laundry today or any day. "Might've heard of him; I heard the Senju and Sarutobi go back to the founding, and that the Senju were really happy when he was born. And for good reason." Wood Release ninjutsu was definitely an asset worth celebrating. He didn't blame them. While the Uchiha and Senju clans weren't exactly the type to swap letters like schoolgirls in a classroom, important news from Senju often made it to Uchiha and vice versa. Allies or not, it's always good to keep track of your rivals. "He specializes in... No, I don't think I'm going to tell you that," he added, "Confidentiality is important, and you should find out sooner or later."

He took a breath. "Then there's me," Atsuki said droned, "But you seem to know quite enough about me from Hoshita-kun to get you by." He leaned into the table, resting his hand on the ball of his palm. "Now let's talk about you," he began innocuously, "I'm not a superstitious person, but Squad 13 has had to replace its people quite a few more times in the first few months than I'd consider normal, especially since nobody died." He then switched to a more intentionally disdainful tone. "I've no intention of being buddy-buddy with someone who's just going to waste our time and energy again. So tell me, are you really going to stick with us or are you going to run away?" He leaned back into his seat again, evidently having said what he'd planned.

Mitsuhide was breathing at a slightly heavy pace as he just barely managed to reach the restaurant in time. He looked over and asked one of the gate guards what time it was informing him it was just about twelve. He looked around and didn't see any of his team around and he wondered if they had all left without him making him feel slightly put off. If they did then why the hell would they leave him out?! Mitsuhide wasn't some nobody slacker who simply laid back and let everyone do his work for him! He made an effort no matter what situation he was in! He'd press on no matter the circumstances! Why on Earth would he be put away for this important mission!?

Mitsuhide kicked the ground and grumbled indignantly until a firm hand grasped his back as he turned around he saw his sensei staring at him, "You can kick the poor dirt around later Mitsuhide now let's get inside I don't have time too kid around." Mitsunari commented as he pulled the boy inside of the restaurant forcibly. "Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Wait a second sensei I can walk you know! Please let me go!" Mitsuhide said with a startled shock as his teacher pulled him forward alongside him not wanting to be dragged like an insubordinate child he tried to free himself to little success until Mitsuhide finally gave up and sighed. Mitsunari came into the restaurant with a very power stride dragging his student along side him as he waved hello to the waitress and then when arrived told Mitsuhide to sit down next to Atsuki quickly as he let go of him quickly. Mitsuhide did so without saying anything and he himself sat down next to Neji with an annoyed expression on his face. "Alright yeah hi I'm your teacher as you already know Mitsunari Kohaku. You've met Atsuki and that over there is wood boy Mitsuhide Senju. We're your new team congratulations kid you hit the jackpot yadda yadda yadda..." Mitsunari said flatly with some slight impatience in his voice not allowing anyone to speak as he suddenly laid down a stack of paper from inside his jacket onto the table. "Before you kids get too comfortable I'd figured you like to hear about this. Some pretty high up stuff and you may never have even heard of this place. Familiar with the Land of Snow? It's off the coast and you need to take a boat to get there. Place is going through some shit. If things escalate there we may get dragged into it." Mitsunari commented flatly as he laid the papers out across the table and pointed out a few papers. One of them stated that there were disagreements between the lord of the land of snow and the ninja there. Another paper detailed next to it had various scribbles and circles on it with notes that Mitsunari probably wrote himself.

Another was a picture showed a group of younger ninja standing next to the feudal lord. There were signs all over the place relating to assassinations and even more attempts on the life of the local daimyo and the comment that a team from the Hidden Rock village, the Iwakagure, was sent there recently. "This has no barrings on the mission we have coming up next kids but if things go down...well prepare to hear about some graphic things...and if it comes to it as I said we may get involved so I'm just letting you know. You didn't hear this from me. Let's just say the Hidden Snow is a village of ninja that you don't want to trifle with." Mitsunari commented bluntly as he looked over the papers with a dead stare indicating that he was uneasy about the whole situation. "This is for your ears only too kids...but I think things are getting worse around that area. Statements of rogue bandits and mercenaries going about like that acrobatic loser you fought the other day. I think there's more than just nonsense going around these places. I'm expecting more rogue or disfranchised ninja to show up...and we leaf shinobi have a lot of enemies out there." Mitsunari stated silently as he took a deep breath and looked around the restaurant quickly not seeing anything he looked back to his kids.

Mitsuhide couldn't really follow all of this all too much he heard his father occasionally mention the village as a strong and well trained albeit small village. But he never really got the deal with them. They were skilled yeah but they didn't exactly bring much too the table in terms of numbers or especially talented ninja. The leaf and other villages were chop full of them. It's not like some nobody nation was going to cause a big problem. He looked over a couple of the papers but found nothing but assassination notes and some talk about some up and rising shinobi from the clans being praised for their skill. Nothing really stood out to him personally.

Last edited:
"Good morning," Atsuki greeted, glancing over at his two newly arrived comrades. Since they both got here at relatively the agreed upon time, he didn't particularly care why they both had arrived at the same time, and why Mitsuhide wasn't as early as usual. He scooted his seat over to the side to allow the surprisingly grumpy Mitsuhide a more space to put his legs. Before he could ask what the look was all about, however, their sensei slammed a stack of papers on the table and began to talk. It was the standard introductory spiel - fortunately for Neji, Atsuki's brief explanations were not too surprisingly more useful than Mitsunari's - but Atsuki wasn't paying much attention to any of that. With interest, he looked over the stack of papers their sensei carried in with them. He briefly questioned the prudence of bringing and setting down a stack of important and presumably-secret papers in a public place, but figured their sensei should have that covered.

'Land of Snow, political intrigue, assassinations, notes by sensei... Interesting. Sounds like fun,' Atsuki thought as he skimmed over what he could see. Before he could get hyped up however, sensei dropped the bomb that it was just news. Nothing currently relevant to their mission, in other words. 'What a shame,' he thought disappointedly. Oh well, such a mission was probably going to be reserved for some chuunin or jonin anyway. Something that major was assuredly something nobody would entrust to genin unless they wanted to use them as fodder. Especially if their sensei's expression was anything to go by. He'd heard the Yukigakure nin were good, but were they really good enough to make their sensei worry?

"Should we expect an influx in enemies during our mission? Is our current mission around there, then?" Atsuki asked when his sensei mentioned that the area around the Land of Snow was becoming more shady and ruffian-filled than it ought to. The atmosphere of this family restaurant possessed far less levity than it should have had. Atsuki didn't mind, but for the others' sake he tried to change the conversation, "And what exactly is the assignment you've found for us?"

He didn't look up as he said any of this though; he was too engrossed in all these neat notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.