Naruto - Squad Thirteen's Journey (In Character)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gears never stopped turning in Atsuki's head. From watching his sensei's battle, he too came to the same troubling conclusion that it seemed that everyone else had - their enemy was particularly powerful, even enough to use a Nature Affinity weak to their sensei's specialty and come out on top. Whether this result was due to some trick or simply a vast power gap wasn't readily available, and testing any theories wasn;t really on the table at the moment. They needed a plan that, even if it failed, would still give them even a bit of an advantage. But what? Even his Paralysis Technique, for all the its use in this high speed situation, couldn't do much of anything when his opponent could move with but a thought.

But then, Neji spoke.

"Ah." Neji's idea was a good one. He didn't know if he had to throw them first, or if he could simply move to any of them that he'd thrown. Either way, he was being distracted by their sensei at the moment, and in a fight like that, he was sure even a stray movement could lead to a clear shot from their sensei. Yes, this idea of ambush had potential. "It's audacious, I like it. But there must be a reason our sensei's staying out of touch range like that," Atsuki pointed out, flicking some nasal blood off his fingertips with an irate look on his usually stoic face, "If we're to ambush him, clones and long-range blasts are likely our best options." Though it's not as if they were lacking in those sorts of jutsu.

"I have a way that we can force him to teleport or get hit by sensei, but we've got one shot for that," Atsuki explained after a short pause, "And what if he can teleport to any of his kunai? We need to make sure we know for sure which one he'll go for.... Maybe Mitsuhide should use his clones to gather all of the kunai in one place before we set our ambush into motion? Or maybe somehow destroy all of them but one? Shit." He cursed; it might take too much time. "A quicker way: we could disrupt him, force him to teleport to us in retaliation, and ambush him that way. Quick, dirty, puts us in harm's way. I recommend a wood clone tagged with explosives and a set of clones for Sarutobi-san and I while we lie in wait with jutsu prepared to blast him."

Reactions: timv999
"I don't think you get it Atsuki. My clone jutsu is only good for three uses before it nearly drains my of my supply of chakra. I can get you two clones but I need both time, and the promise you can carry the share of two people because those clones will be pretty much all the help you'd get from me at that point. I can make one but judging by how useful my last guy was I don't think that will be all too helpful all things considered. I don't know any real jutsu to counteract that wind style. All my styles were made for up close combat my old man never really showed me how to use long range jutsu. Maybe I could improvise and make a new one of the fly but that's a silly thing to bet on. My guess is that our best chance will just be to try and hamper his ability to teleport properly while one of us throws kunai or something at the dick. It does the same job but it won't leave me dead in the water." Mitsuhide said with a creeping feeling in his gut that he would be the weak link in this fight. So far most of his attacks were easily brushed aside like a child playing with a stick too big for him too swing. All of this was unravelling faster and faster than he had expected. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Mitsunari jump back to get distance only for the man to teleport to the side and unleash string of kunai throws at their sensei who blocked them after catching one of the thrown ones out of mid air and using it to block them. "All those years ago I should have ended you but I hesitated! I was young, and green now I'm a seasoned killer. Katsuyori you should never have come to fight me!" Mitsunari growled with disdain as he landed on a tree. "Tell me kids do you know what they call your sensei? It's a pretty fearsome nickname for such a spineless piece of virmin like your teacher actually is. So tough and strong and yet so weak and hopeless. He couldn't hold a candle to half the ninja I've met." Katsuyori chuckled as Mitsunari glowered at the man. "They call him The Dragon of The Leaf. An apt name for such a brute. So many people would attest to your sensei's abilities but none of those people know him like I do. Heh...he was a spineless wretch as a child and he is a spineless wretch as a adult teaching students. I wonder if you actually understand the depths of your sensei's ineptitude." Katsuyori mocked Mitsunari who simply threw the kunai he was holding directly at Katsuyori's face. Katsuyori in return only slightly moved his head to the left and the kunai smacked into a tree sticking in place. "Insult me all you like but at least I'm not a gutless pig who get's off one torturing people and stealing secrets you rogue son of a bitch!"

Neji stood there listening to Atsuki and Mitsuhide talk, he was happy to hear that Atsuki thought he the start of a good plan. That was the problem though it was only a start they needed to expand on the idea more. "Well I think clones are out of the equation for all of us. They will just use our chakra and probably won't be that helpful. I want to belive that he can teleport to any of the kunai that he had stuck in ground but I'm not one hundred percent sure on that. But it might be time that we try and test his jutsu a little bit" Neji was racking his brain to try and figure out some sort of strategy. "Maybe if we can grab those kunai stuck in the ground and put them in the places we want them to be. He should be more than occupied fighting with Mitsunari sensei. So I doubt he will pay attention to what the three of us are doing. This does come with a risk because we may inadvertently get caught in the cross fire but if we can station the kunai in places that we want them to be maybe that way we can set up our ambush. Most shinobi don't carry any more than a dozen kunai because they take up space usually people carry more shuriken, also his kunai are special they look heavier then regular kunai so maybe he doesn't many more than what he has already used. I say we try and grab his kunai and put them in areas where we can set up our ambush. At least test his jutsu and see if an teleport to any of the kunai that he has thrown or if he can only teleport to the one kunai he threw in that exact moment."

"Point noted," Atsuki agreed. If there was any important limitation to consider, it was their respective chakra levels. While he had a fairly full-tank, as it were, that was no guarantee of anyone elses' state. It was at that point that he heard the Warden spout some variety of spiteful words in their direction - likely something disparaging about their or their sensei's honor or skill, no doubt. At any rate, Atsuki was hardly inclined towards giving a shit about what their assailant was saying between the facial kick and the planning of his downfall. "Right... Anyway..." he dismissed, doing a hand gesture to let Neji know to continue. Maybe he'd ask about it later, but it was best to focus on the task at hand.

With a nod, he responded to Neji's suggestion. The kid had a point, but... "No use testing when we can just hope for the best and plan for the worst," he quipped. At this point it was pretty obvious to everyone that Atsuki wasn't much of an optimist, if they hadn't caught on already. "Though I will say the kunai snatching plan seems effective enough for that, granted," Atsuki acquiesced, "Though I'd just alter it to focus all the kunai in one place, maybe toss them around instead of placing too..." He grinned a bit, though it looked a lot more creepy than he probably intended. "Maybe we ought to throw them back at him, let him teleport right into our sensei's fist." Though it was a joke (probably), limiting the range of movement was perfectly valid for their purposes itself - it could force the Warden into the choice between their ambush, or a surprise attack from their sensei - and there was always the off-chance they hit him with one of the blades....

"...And if we barrage him with projectiles like Senju said, he might not notice his kunai mixed in too..." Atsuki mumbled with narrowed eyes. "At any rate, I've got the most mobility in our squad so I should take the brunt of the running around and the further kunai, no matter what we do."

"It would seem that you're all bluster and heat. Enough I'll end this right now!" Mitsunari roared as he slammed his fists together and proceeded to form hand signs at a startling rate as the enemy jonin jumped forwards towards Mitsunari; Mitsuhide, ignoring Atsuki's statements, ran in as fast as he could and formed his own jutsu, "Wood Release: Threefolded Wood Shield!" Mitsuhide called out as he formed a shield from his arm and stood between his sensei and his enemy. He didn't care if he got hurt he needed to protect his teacher! "You have a set of balls on you kid! Too bad that won't be nearly enough!" the enemy ninja roared as he slammed into the shield hand first and adjusted the angle so that he flipped over the boy. However what he didn't expect next was the fact that Mitsunari was already finished with his jutsu. "SCORCH RELEASE: SMOLDERING HELL FLARE!" Mitsunari growled in anger as his hands lit aflame. Two white tinged and orange balls of formed in his hand and he raised them. "DIE! NOW!" Mitsunari growled as the flames soared over Mitsuhide's head the enemy's eyes were raised wide open. He gripped a kunai in panic and attempted to teleport but before he could the flames burnt his face and he roared in pain as he teleported away at the last second barely escaping death. The enemy ninja appeared from the farthest away spot from Mitsunari was he clutched his half burnt face in pain. The smell of burning flesh, hair, and wood were prevalent now too an almost sickening degree. The enemy clutched at his face anger beaming out of his good eye as he shook in fury. Besides his face his clothes were scorched in four places and his left shoulder was burnt as well"You bastard! Damn you! That nearly got me if it weren't for the my jutsu I would be...bah...fine....I guess you're leaving more no choice now!" The man growled as he threw a smoke bomb on the ground in front of him which was then followed up by a wind jutsu clouding the entire area in a fog of white smoke. Mitsunari grabbed Mitsuhide and pulled him close. "DEFENSE FORMATION! NOW!" Mitsunari shouted at the other two quickly. "Sensei wh-what was that jutsu!? It was incredible!" Mitsuhide asked with a wide eyed look at his sensei. "Focus! Mitsuhide now's not the time to be gawking!"

"Well, I guess it's as they say," Atsuki sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose as Mitsuhide began to charge into the fray, "Fortune favors the bold." He stood up and began doing handsigns. "Hopefully he's enough of a distraction for sensei to get a good hit or two in. I'll continue with whatever ramshackle plan we... sort of sorted out," the Uchiha quipped before finishing preparation on a Substitution with one of the pieces of wreckage nearby as a contingency for that botched kunai plan. Then he noticed that their sensei blasted the man with his frighteningly powerful technique. '...Huh? 'Scorch Release? Whatever. Gotta sieze this opportunity.' In preparation for the man's escape teleport, he prepared to cast his Great Fireball and scanned his surroundings.

'...I suppose that confirms that theory,' the Uchiha quipped mentally, noting that their opponent hadn't thrown a kunai to where he'd teleported to escape. At the same time he finished signing through the handseals. "Fire Release: Great Fireball Technique!" Atsuki cast his jutsu at Katsuyori. This was a good opportunity; all the factors - from the wound recoil to the hurried teleport - added up in Atsuki's head to, in theory, be a sufficient lapse to let Atsuki inflict more damage on top of their sensei's scorch jutsu.

But after firing the flame ball off, the man threw a smoke bomb and began casting wind jutsu. Now his fireball was definitely a gamble, but the wind jutsu that was spreading the smoke around didn't seem to be combat-grade, and wind was weak to fire. And at least he'd aimed before he was struck blind, so to speak.

At any rate, orders had been issued. He fell into defensive form with Neji

The fire ball cleared out the area that Katsuyori had been moments before hand however there were traces of blood that indicated he had not teleported for a brief moment that the smoke had been cleared only too have been covered up as the smoke hung in the air. It didn't seem like a normal smoke bomb. The smoke wasn't simply dissipating after a moment it lingered and smelled of rotten eggs and the fire from nearby trees made breathing an issue due to all the fireball jutsu being slung around like it was nothing. Mitsunari looked called out to his genin once more, "Breathing this in will be bad for your senses! He's trying to disorient you keep breathing to a minimum or try to get out together!" Mitsunari called out as Mitsuhide looked around in even more of a panic he gripped his kunai tightly. His eyes shook in their sockets but he held himself firmly ready for a hit but he also remembered seeing his clone be decapitated like it was nothing. He was too young for this type of stress he didn't understand what he could possibly do to stop all of this from getting out of hand! Mitsuhide stood there silently shivering afraid for his own life.

Neji sighed "yeah well they also say the bold ones tend to die early." Neji stayed in his defensive position as Atsuki shot off his fireball jutsu at the enemy. After their sensei had used a very powerful scorch release technique that Neji had no idea their sensei had. Soon the enemy threw down a smoke bomb but it wasn't just any smoke bomb, this smoke messed with a persons senses. Surely Katsuyori had some sort of immunity or some reason why the smoke wouldn't affect him. It was very likely that he could move freely within the smoke and have it not affect his senses. For Neji and his team thiugh this smoke would affect their senses. Unfortunately Neji nor any of his squadmates used wind jutsu. If one of them did then they could easily blow this smoke away. "Everyone quickly cover your mouth." Neji threw his arm over his mouth and tried to control his breathing. The three of them needed to get out of this smoke.

Neji quickly looked around his surroundings, the smoke was covering much of the area. While Neji was trying to find a way out he was also paying attention to his surroundings, even though Katsuyori was hurt he was still very dangerous. Nejis eyes quickly darted around the area until he saw an opening. There was a tree with mutiple branches to stand on at 8ocklock from where they were standing. It seemed as if the natural wind was bling from that direction and wasn't blowing the smoke into that direction. Now Neji thought of the possibility that Katsuyori noticed this as well and it may be a trap but he didn't see many other options at this point. Neji walked forward and grabbed atsukis shoulder from behind. He then made sure atsuki would see him and he pointed at the tree hoping that Atsuki would get the message to go to the tree. Neji didn't want to open his moth unless he had too. Neji nodded his head at Atsuki as he went into the smoke to try and find Mitsuhude to help him get out of the smoke as well.

Lovely. The gas smelled like shit and now it made their senses shit too. Exactly the comforting thoughts Atsuki needed in a stressful situation like this. What next, enemy reinforcements? Perhaps excrement suddenly falling from the sky? If only someone in their squad had Wind Release. Fire Release, while definitely capable of sending out an explosive shockwave, was inefficient for this purpose. But wait, didn't their sensei have Wind Release techniques?

....Well there was probably an important reason - creating openings was bad, chakra conservation was important, and whatnot - for it so he'd keep quiet. Besides, he needed to conserve as much breath as possible for now. From his side, he felt Neji grab him - a bit dangerous given the situation, but he understood it was him so it was fine - and turned his attention to the ninja.

'Ah, I see,' the Uchiha thought. Perhaps Neji was simply directing him to an escape route, but logically-speaking, or at least Atsuki-speaking, the decision for him to be the one ot investigate was sound; he was the only one with a Substitute prepped so he might as well be the one to test a trap. Though Neji going off alone into the smoke was a problem in and of itself, Atsuki decided to have a little confidence in his teammate.

Atsuki palmed one of his explosive tags and headed towards the clearing in the smoke. He mentally prepared himself to slap down the tag, sub out, and blow it up if Katsuyori decided to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.