Mortalities Requiem

Eris looked at Ezekiel's jacket than shook her head at him and smiled. "Nu use taking your jacket if it means you'll freeze in 30 seconds, than I wont have anyone to talk to." She walked until they came to an aparment complex and looked at it. "Is it this one?" She asked looking at him. She looked at the aparments, than back up the street. They had already passed her complex, but she'd feel bad just ditching him, so she had passed it on purpose.

He put his jacket back on and nodded. "As you wish, miss."

After walking with her silence, he stood in front of his apartment complex. "This is mine, but would you like it if I walked you to yours?" Ezekiel meant no flirting or coming on. He was a sincere, chivalrous young man who appeared to be living centuries ahead of his time.

"I never did think ladies should walk around apartment complexes alone."

Eris looked at Ezekiel and blushed, rubbing the back of her neck nervously. She looked back down the street. She couldn't make him walk all the way back down the street they had come down just to get back her own apartment, and besides she had to meet up with some demon who had contacted her through email the day before. He said he was planning something big for the angels and he wanted Eris to be the second in command, but she couldn't bring a mortal to the meeting.

"Oh...um...No it's fine," she stuttered waving her hands about quickly and smiling. She backed up the sidewalk and turned jogging back up the way they had come. "See you around Ezekiel!" She called over her shoulder.

He cocked his head to the side, as if a dog would to its master when curious. He nodded his head and smiled. "Peace be with you. Be safe, Eris," he called out to her.

He was not one to stereotype anyone, but a gut feeling told him Eris was into something she should not be. Her sudden embarrassment and quick departure told him something was amiss. 'No matter,' he thought. 'I can do nothing about it tonight.'

With that, he showered, taking his time. The warm water relaxed his bones and made him feel at ease. After a nice, long shower, he wrapped his towel around his waist and laid in bed. After his nightly prayers, Ezekiel quickly fell asleep, letting the cool room air wash over his wet figure and the soft bed lull him into a pleasant darkness.

Eris felt bad about not explaining, but if she didn't make it to the warehouse on time she wasn't going to be able to be apart of the rebellion, and wouldn't be able to be Helix's second in command. Helix had been one of the first demons to walk the soil of the earth, and he burned for revenge against the celestial beings of Heaven, even if it meant wiping out the population of mortals on Earth. Eris wasn't sure she wanted to kill mortals just to get revenge against the angels, but she was sick of being stuck on Earth without her wings.

She made it to the warehouse in fifteen minutes, out of breath with a mist of sweat across her forehead. She'd ran the entire way to the meeting place, and was no worn out. What looked like a bouncer, stood outside the entrance of the warehouse, looking down at Eris with cold eyes. She stood in front of him with her hands behind her back, and after a moment of silence he waved her inside. Helix was waiting inside just off to the right, and a fiendish grin grew on his face when he saw her.

"Hey," He purred in her ear, wrapping his arm around her waist. Eris gagged and pushed him away, giving him a curt nod in greeting, folding her arms across her chest. This was going to be a long meeting.

Ezekiel awakened within several hours, getting right back to work on programming his application program. He was distracted constantly however by thoughts of Eris. He worried much about her welfare and contemplated what a beautiful girl like her would be into, while simultaneously scolding himself for hopping to such conclusions. He could not help it. Ezekiel trusted his gut and his rational, analytical mind.

Soon, he made the decision to go back out. He headed to the Black Cat Comic bookstore and awaited there patiently for Eris. He needed to find out what exactly was going on. Something was not right, and he knew it. Every part of him felt something was off. 'And her yellow eyes. Who had yellow eyes?' he asked himself as he sat down in the store.

Eris trudged into the comic store, dark sunglasses pulled over her eyes to hide the newly found bags under her eyes. She didn't notice Ezekiel standing in the store as if he had been waiting for her, instead she slumped over behind the counter and sunk down into her chair, resting her forehead against her arms and yawned closing her eyes.

She been up all night at the meeting listening to the plans to revolt against the demons. She'd also spent half the night trying to keep Helix from groping her. She sighed and started to fall asleep at the counter

Ezekiel walked over silently and stood beside her. He waited for a few moments, a smile on his face. Finally, he spoke. "Eris, are you alright, miss?" he inquired. He put his hand on her shoulder gently, and then took it back, afraid she may take it the wrong way.

She had been up to something alright. She was exhausted. Her apartment was not too far from his, so she should have gotten plenty of rest.

Eris jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked around nervously, though no one would be able to tell considering the sunglasses. She slowly looked up and saw Ezekiel looking down at her worriedly. She mumbled something incoherently, and put her forehead back down on her arms. She was to exhausted to talk to him at the moment, much less come up to an excuse why she looked the way she did. Her chin length black hair was sticking out at odd angles, and she had barely bothered to change clothes.

He nodded in an understanding manner, then went back into the corner to read a comic book. He understood that she was weary and tired, and that she quite possibly desired to be alone. Ezekiel was never one to force himself onto others or bother them when they did not desire his company, so he quietly and patiently took to comics while he awaited her response to him.

Eris sat bolt upright in her chair and checked the time. She had fallen asleep for at least half an hour, and was thankful her boss hadn't walked in and seen her, most likely snoring, at the front counter. She took the sunglasses off and rubbed her eyes tiredly, and ran a few fingers through her messy hair, jumping in her chair when she saw that Ezekiel was still sitting in the corner of the comic store, though a stack of comic books had built up by his feet. She swiped her hand under her jaw, and blushed when she saw a trail of drool on her wrist, which had recently been on her jaw. Great she probably snored, and now she drooled too. For a demon, she sure did act like a slob.

"What are you still doing here?" She asked Ezekiel in a voice scratchy from sleep.

"You worry me, miss," he said caringly. "You left suddenly and in an odd manner, which made me begin to fret. And I am not one to enjoy fretting. Not only that, but you came to work absolutely bogged down and exhausted. This worries me further. Is there anything you want to talk about, Eris? Is there something bothering you? I can understand if you wish to keep it to yourself. I know how that is. I do not talk much myself. But I know there is something gnawing at you, and I do not like seeing folk all bent out of shape."

Ezekiel genuinely cared. He gave a damn. His voice, facial expressions, and his body language gave it away. He had no selfish intentions. How strange for a human. He did not even gaze upon her in a lustful manner.

Eris raised a tired eyebrow at Ezekiel and shook her head. He didn't belong on the soils of the Earth, he belonged with the Angels up in the endless paradise that humans had come to call Heaven. He was to kind and pure to be amongst the mortals, but it also meant that he was going to become Eris's enemy in the near future when he was forced to choose a side to stand for. A sad smile played at the corners of her lips, and she put her sunglasses back on, standing up and making her way for the door still shaking her head. She had another gathering to be at in less than ten minutes. "Don't worry about it....It's for your own good alright?" And with that she stalked out of the comic store and down the street, her feet mechanically moving her in the direction of the warehouse slowly. She was going to be late for sure.

He sighed sadly, and nodded his head, moving away from her to allow her easier access at her departure. "Alright, Eris. But, if you ever do need to talk, I am here. Just... promise not to get into anything too awful, alright? I could not bear to see someone such as you fall so far. I have seen many break and shatter in my life, and I have seen the good and beautiful become evil and ugly. Take care, miss. Please." Ezekiel definitely was a kind soul who had a way with words. He was a silver-tongued "devil".

Ezekiel walked home glumly, very worried about the state of Eris. He then shook his head side to side, realizing that if he kept this up, he would become too attached. He was afraid of that. But, his benign spirit demanded he care for all those around him, even those he barely knew.

He sat down at his PC and continued his work on his program, desperately trying to focus on his work instead of what trouble Eris could be in. He occasionally stopped to pray to the Creator, asking Him for advice on the situation.

Eris made it halfway to the warehouse, than she groaned involuntarily and turned around, heading for her apartment instead. When she was an angel she hadn't needed sleep, but now she found that without it she felt plainly awful. Her head hurt horribly and she felt like she was about to pass out on her feet. She wasn't going to be able to stand another seven hour meeting, not today anyways. She wanted to help bring down the Angels and retake her place in Heaven, but she didn't want to do it if it meant depleting her health on purpose. She made it back to her complex in what seemed like an eternity and whimpered when she saw the mountain of stairs she had to climb up. A girl sat at the bottom of the stairs, a cigarette held loosely between her fingers. She blew smoke in Eris's face and laughed.

That was it. Eris snapped and turned to the girl, her yellow eyes glowing unnaturally. She whispered a few things and the girls eyes became blank slates as she stared at Eris, than fear took residence on her face. Eris smiled to herself. She had found that demons could put images in peoples minds, whatever the demon desired, and it would appear real.

She made it to her apartment and fell face first on her bed, exhausted.

Ezekiel awoke early at 3 AM in the morning. His mind would not allow him to rest. He got up and paced back in forth, deep in though. He had to made a decision. Would he be the fair-weather, inactive friend to Eris, who stayed away because he did not want to annoy her, even though she clearly was in an odd place and needed help? Or was he going to be the good friend and find out what was troubling her, and help her no matter if it made her dislike him or not. He decided upon the latter. He fell back asleep at 4:30, then woke up once more at 8 AM.

The geeky, benign male then showered, scarfed down breakfast, and headed out, blue jean jacket keeping him warm. He was going to at the end of the road where Eris's apartment was, and then politely find out what was troubling her. He did not want her to fall down dark paths. He had lost everyone he loved, and he blamed himself for the losses of his friends. Ezekiel was not about to do nothing when he could use his kind words and sweet attitude to help someone.

Celestia decided to make some fun. She flew behind a tree and disguised her wings. SHe looked as if she was a normal mortal with a white dress on.
She slowly walked out from behind the tree where Ezekiel was, and in turn, purposly bumped into him.
She fell to the ground, looking pure and innocently hurt.

Eris woke up feeling a hundred times better than she had the day before. She sat up slowly in her bed and yawned, stretching her arms out high above her head, causing her back to arch. She got out of bed took a shower and get dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans and a graphic Tee. When she was finished she blow dried her hair, applied a thin layer of make-up on her eyes and left her apartment. As soon as she was outside she regretted it. It was still cloudy and cold outside, but worse Ezekiel was out there, and he was with an Angel. Eris didn't need to see her wings to know, because the angel had the desirable good looks as all angels did, and she made Eris's nerves stand on end. Eris growled lowly under her breath. This angel would be able to see her horns and serpents tail easily, meaning she would be able to know Eris was a demon.

Eris didn't want to just walk away and leave Ezekiel at the will of the angel, who seemed to be looking for a way to cause mischief, so instead Eris leaned against one of the walls of her apartment complex and watched the two of them carefully, her eyes holding a dangerous edge to them

"Oompfh! Oh, forgive me, miss!" Ezekiel said, immediately pulling her back up to her feet. He brushed off the grass on her white dress and blushed profusely. "I am indeed a klutz. I was just standing here like a bozo and did not move out of your way. I was just waiting on somebody from the apartments here."

Ezekiel blamed himself even when it was not his fault. A testament to who he was. He was clearly raised extremely well.

Eris watched the little scene, smiling to herself when she realized they hadn't noticed her yet. Maybe if they didn't Eris would be able to get some information out of the angel, and she wouldn't even know she had given it away. Sometimes there were perks to creepily leaning against a wall and watching people I guess. Eris waited patiently to see if the angel would say anything, preparing herself. She hadn't heard an angel's voice in so long, they were meant for song, so even when they just plainly spoke it sounded beautiful. Eris had lost that perk when she had fallen, and now instead seemed to have the scratchy voice of someone who went on a screaming rampage to long without a break, which she actually had from falling to Earth.