Massive High-Fantasy RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demi-humans are racial minorities huh? From what I've seen, people love playing the unique stuff so it's funny when there's like 90% minority characters. Maybe we'll all be part of an embassy or something.

Also I keep seeing artifacts mentioned in the blog post. What are they? Can they be made by anyone (or is there a special process to it)? Are they particularly expensive (or even priceless)?
"Artifact" basically just refers to any magical item. Some artifacts are gathered from magical beasts (which is what the blog post was referring to), since they have magic in their bodies. Others are previously non-magical items that become magic through use of a spell. And then artifacts can be mixed with each other (think: potion brewing) or re-combined with spells to create all kind of complex magic! :D Some artifacts are more valuable than others. In terms of "natural artifacts" (which is a term I came up with just now to describe artifacts gathered with magical beasts), the value of it depends on how potent it is as well as how difficult it is to obtain it. Unicorn horn is very expensive -- they're the most powerful artifacts around, and unicorns are fairly rare. Pegasus feathers are more reasonably priced, as there's a decent enough number of captive pegasai and their artifacts are not nearly as powerful.

There'll be more on artifacts and how to use them when I get into explaining how magic works. :D

Reactions: Luma
Kaga-kun said:
"Fire Salamanders
Element: ...Figure it out."

I'm guessing water? :P

On a sidenote, you stated (between the lines) that a unicorn's mane hair has powerful magic power. Would it be possible to use a unicorn mane hair as a bow string to create a bow with some kind of magial powers? If yes, I'm calling dibs on that idea :P

I'm guessing water? :P

On a sidenote, you stated (between the lines) that a unicorn's mane hair has powerful magic power. Would it be possible to use a unicorn mane hair as a bow string to create a bow with some kind of magial powers? If yes, I'm calling dibs on that idea :P
Hmmm... potentially! Although you'd probably need more than just a single hair to create a usable bowstring. Artifacts are still limited by certain physical characteristics (for example: a single hair isn't very strong and would probably break easily), which is why they're more commonly used as "ingredients" for other things.

So, your idea would be a very unconventional use of unicorn hair, buuuuut there might be a way to make it work. o3o I'd have to think more on it.

Moreover! Really every part of a unicorn has some pretty intense magical power. Theoretically any part of a magical creature can be harvested and used as an artifact. Unicorns in particular provide the most potent artifacts (with their horns in particular being even more potent). Some body parts are just much easier to use as artifacts than others, from a practical perspective. Like, technically the blood of a unicorn is also very powerful -- but it's much harder to gather, and just doesn't have a very long shelf life. This is why things like fur, feathers, horns, skins, claws, bones, etc are all much more commonly used than any of the... fleshier parts. :P

Oh okay, so we're talking more like the potion shop from Zelda Wind Waker or something like that. Mix unicorn hair with flax and viola: magical bowstring. That's a cool concept, I'm eager for some more of these blog posts.

Hmmm... potentially! Although you'd probably need more than just a single hair to create a usable bowstring. Artifacts are still limited by certain physical characteristics (for example: a single hair isn't very strong and would probably break easily), which is why they're more commonly used as "ingredients" for other things.

So, your idea would be a very unconventional use of unicorn hair, buuuuut there might be a way to make it work. o3o I'd have to think more on it.

Moreover! Really every part of a unicorn has some pretty intense magical power. Theoretically any part of a magical creature can be harvested and used as an artifact. Unicorns in particular provide the most potent artifacts (with their horns in particular being even more potent). Some body parts are just much easier to use as artifacts than others, from a practical perspective. Like, technically the blood of a unicorn is also very powerful -- but it's much harder to gather, and just doesn't have a very long shelf life. This is why things like fur, feathers, horns, skins, claws, bones, etc are all much more commonly used than any of the... fleshier parts. :P
Oh okay, so we're talking more like the potion shop from Zelda Wind Waker or something like that. Mix unicorn hair with flax and viola: magical bowstring. That's a cool concept, I'm eager for some more of these blog posts.
So we'll be able to craft our own items? :o -hype-

So we'll be able to craft our own items? :o -hype-

Yeah, sort of! I'm thinking I'll have to do a blog post about magic next. It'll make more sense to explain it all there than trying to piece it together here. ^^"

For personal reasons, though, content production will be slowing down during the next week or so -- but I'll still try to get you guys a blog post once per week! ^^

As you can see, I added a blurb to the end of the OP along with a link to the one blog post we have so far. I figured that, since this interest check will probably be going for a while before the OOC happens, it would make sense to add a little blurb directed at any new players who join us along the way, getting them up to speed on the situation. I also plan on listing them with the dates they were posted on, so that you can see at a glance how we're making steady progress (and I'm sure it'll be very reassuring for people to pop in and see that the most recent date is still fairly recent). This also motivates me to keep posting things at a steady rate. In any case, this also serves as an easy way for all of us to access the blog posts instead of needing to dig for them.

I am super duper interested in this concept and will be PM'ing you a few questions~

Reactions: Kagayours
And here it is, a blog post explaining how magic works!!

Got that up surprisingly quickly. o3o The one after this will probably take longer. XD

Edit: ALSO (and this is an edit since I initially completely forgot this final section entirely), I'd like to give a quick content warning/clarification about the very last section. The explanation for dark magic references a few very dark topics (such as pedophilia and rape), but only because comparing it to these things helps explain the concept of dark magic (which is essentially just morally repulsive magic). I certainly doubt that the RP will even briefly focus on anything like pedophilia or rape (although, I mean, such things probably still do exist in the RP world, but... you know), so, I don't want that to scare anyone off. I just felt that these real-world comparisons were necessary to really make sense of dark magic.

Just putting this warning out there since I don't want anyone to be caught off-guard by all of that.

Last edited:
Interesting, so people actually have a moral code on the way magic can be used.

I wonder if there would be a way to find out if someone had used dark magic, or perhaps it would be like calling someone a witch in the middle ages. The people would have to side with the accuser to bring the person to justice (or, unfortunate demise).

Still, there are numerous heinous things I could think of that you could use with magic (Did somebody say blood-bending) , so it makes sense. Otherwise everything would be in complete chaos.

It brings up the thought of if there are long lasting love-spells/potions. Because 1. That's fucked up, and second of all. Imagine all the accusations and rumours that would appear on any relationship whatsoever. Even more possibility for some jealous lover to kill you thinking your doing something evil, or to do something evil himself.

I wonder if there would be a way to find out if someone had used dark magic, or perhaps it would be like calling someone a witch in the middle ages. The people would have to side with the accuser to bring the person to justice (or, unfortunate demise).
Yeah, I'm still kinda up in the air on how effective and fair I want the justice system to be. Hmm...

It brings up the thought of if there are long lasting love-spells/potions. Because 1. That's fucked up, and second of all. Imagine all the accusations and rumours that would appear on any relationship whatsoever. Even more possibility for some jealous lover to kill you thinking your doing something evil, or to do something evil himself.
Eh. I suppose some would be longer-lasting than others. In any case, though, love potions/spells, especially longer-lasting ones, aren't exactly that easy to obtain. If you plan on getting a potion from someone else then, again, that's basically the equivalent of finding a dealer to sell you date rape drugs -- or, if you plan on making the potion yourself or casting a spell, then, I mean... they don't exactly keep that kind of information in the public library, you know.

I mean, there's definitely the potential for people to do some pretty fucked-up stuff with that kind of magic (and that's why it's called dark magic :D ), but, I mean, I'm not sure it would be common enough for accusations to start flying around in just any relationship.

Is this still accepting? If so, I am very interested!

Also, what is the posting level and frequency going to be? Sorry if you've already answered that. .__.

Is this still accepting? If so, I am very interested!

Also, what is the posting level and frequency going to be? Sorry if you've already answered that. .__.

Still accepting! I generally don't have any strict posting requirements, which is why I listed it as "flexible" in the tags. I know that myself and many of the friends I've dragged along usually post at least 1-2 paragraphs per post, but I certainly don't REQUIRE that much. You can post essentially whatever length you want. I generally only have bare minimum requirements -- you know, readable grammar, probably longer than just one line, etc. But, so long as you post as much as a particular post calls for, I think you'll be ok. I understand that some situations might lean towards shorter posts than others, and that's fine.

As for frequency, that just sort of depends on how fast the group in general posts. I'm fairly certain it won't be any more than one post (per person) per day, just because I wouldn't be able to go any faster than that. XD But, it'll probably be even slower than that. I'm estimating a pace of a couple posts (per person) per week, but, it'll honestly depend on how fast people are once we get going, really.

Still accepting! I generally don't have any strict posting requirements, which is why I listed it as "flexible" in the tags. I know that myself and many of the friends I've dragged along usually post at least 1-2 paragraphs per post, but I certainly don't REQUIRE that much. You can post essentially whatever length you want. I generally only have bare minimum requirements -- you know, readable grammar, probably longer than just one line, etc. But, so long as you post as much as a particular post calls for, I think you'll be ok. I understand that some situations might lean towards shorter posts than others, and that's fine.

As for frequency, that just sort of depends on how fast the group in general posts. I'm fairly certain it won't be any more than one post (per person) per day, just because I wouldn't be able to go any faster than that. XD But, it'll probably be even slower than that. I'm estimating a pace of a couple posts (per person) per week, but, it'll honestly depend on how fast people are once we get going, really.
Oh, okay. Not to sound snarky or the like, but I just wanted to make sure you would prefer at least a paragraph or two per post. I find it very difficult to write in RPs that are very short posts and (because of that) usually very fast-moving. Also, something about some players writing long, detailed posts followed by a slapped-together four sentence post just turns me off. >__>

I can confidently say I would not be able to write a post a day, but perhaps two or three a week. Given, my posts are usually quite long, but I just want to make sure I wouldn't be slowing people down too much. c:

Oh, okay. Not to sound snarky or the like, but I just wanted to make sure you would prefer at least a paragraph or two per post. I find it very difficult to write in RPs that are very short posts and (because of that) usually very fast-moving. Also, something about some players writing long, detailed posts followed by a slapped-together four sentence post just turns me off. >__>

I can confidently say I would not be able to write a post a day, but perhaps two or three a week. Given, my posts are usually quite long, but I just want to make sure I wouldn't be slowing people down too much. c:
Yeah, that's fine. A lot of us write a teensy bit on the longer side, but I don't really like to force length requirements, for a bunch of reasons. I think you'll be fine, though.

Super interested in this~
I love the idea of using astrology, persuasions, and religious stuff for the roleplay ^.^ And the A:TLA inspiration is just grand.

Reactions: Kagayours
Here it is! The much-awaited pantheon blog post!! ^^

There's some other religion-related stuff that still needs to be added -- like the story of how the world was created and all that -- which several parts of this blog post briefly reference but, for the most part, quickly gloss over. I'm thinking I'll either put that stuff in the OOC or a later blog post.

Also!! I commissioned artwork for some of these deities. I'll be sure to edit those pieces in once they're finished. ^^

• Love
Reactions: Neobullseye
@Minerva @Rithas @Edward @Jakers @Gwazi Magnum @kimsim12 @AquaTheLita @NaYe @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @AFeatheredHat @Shin @Honor-Sama @Eruantien @Luma @WhisperingWillows @DinoFeather @-'ToxicGhostie'-

So in light of the surprising lack of a reaction to the most recent blog post, I decided to tag everyone else who's expressed interest in this thread and hasn't responded since the most recent update. Looks like a lot of you guys haven't been around in a while, now that I've taken the time to go back to the first couple pages! I know it's real easy to lose track of an interest check thread, so, I might as well give a poke to anyone who may have forgotten about this thread (or just not noticed the recent posts). ^^"

@Minerva @Rithas @Edward @Jakers @Gwazi Magnum @kimsim12 @AquaTheLita @NaYe @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @AFeatheredHat @Shin @Honor-Sama @Eruantien @Luma @WhisperingWillows @DinoFeather @-'ToxicGhostie'-

So in light of the surprising lack of a reaction to the most recent blog post, I decided to tag everyone else who's expressed interest in this thread and hasn't responded since the most recent update. Looks like a lot of you guys haven't been around in a while, now that I've taken the time to go back to the first couple pages! I know it's real easy to lose track of an interest check thread, so, I might as well give a poke to anyone who may have forgotten about this thread (or just not noticed the recent posts). ^^"
Yeah, i glared at it a few times. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.