Mafia Day Thread: Round 3

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
ROLE LIST
2 Mafioso = A member of the mafia who decides who to kill each night. They take it in turns to visit the player they are targeting to kill. Ruling note- if the mafia kill fails they will be informed that it failed, but not why it failed, meaning they do not know if it was due to night immunity or the player being healed by the doctor.
1 Consort = A member of the mafia who decides to roleblock one person each night, preventing that player's night action from being carried out if the player has one. Becomes a mafioso if all the mafiosos are dead. Ruling notes- Roleblocking works on the detective, tracker and doctor, but not the medium, because the medium's night action occurs before everyone else's resolves. If the roleblocked player has a night action that can be roleblocked then they will informed that they were roleblocked; if the player has no night action/cannot be roleblocked then they will not be informed since the roleblock wouldn't have done anything.
1 Doctor = An innocent who may heal a player to prevent them from being killed once every night. They may heal themselves twice. Ruling note- neither the doctor or the healed player will be told if the healed player was targeted by the mafia.
1 Detective = An innocent who may learn the faction (innocent, mafia, or neutral) of one player every night.
1 Medium = An innocent who may speak with all dead players during the night phase. They are immune from being killed for the first two night phases only. Ruling note- They will speak to dead players in a chat separate to the dead chat, so that dead players may continue to talk during the day phase.
1 Tracker = An innocent who may visit another player's house at night and see who visited that player. The roles in this game who can visit other people (excluding the tracker) are the mafioso, doctor, detective, vigilante and consort.
1 Vigilante = An innocent who may kill another player at night. This ability may be used one time only. If the vigilante kills an innocent player (as opposed to a neutral or mafia player) then the following night they will commit suicide and also die.
1 Executioner = A neutral whose win condition is to get a target town member lynched- their target will be randomly generated. The executioner is immune from being killed at night. If their target is killed at night, the executioner becomes a jester.
1 Jester = A neutral whose win condition is to be lynched. The jester is immune from being killed at night. If the jester succeeds at getting lynched they have the ability to kill one of the people who voted against them the previous day - this ability must be used.
4 Normal Town Members = An innocent without any special abilities.

Other useful info can be put here upon request!

@Luster these are who I checked in order:
-Kiilgore
-Myself
-Myself

Never found anything, all I know is I was role blocked last night. So yeah.... hurrah for the useless Tracker...

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Sorry, everyone! I've been pretty busy! I will read and respond as soon as I can!

Reactions: Luster and An Otaku
That being said, for the next day phase, I have suspicions that I will put forward depending on the result of the night phase./QUOTE]

Love to here it.

@Lost-and-Bewildered haven't heard from you in a while. Why did you not vote trip? Do you have anything to add?

The discussion phase is over, and it is now the voting phase. The voting phase will end on Sunday 13th at 7:30pm (BST). Currently 6 votes are needed to lynch someone.

Oh snap, I did not mean to miss the entire discussion phase...lol struggle.

Ummmmm, I'm a bit suspicious of @Matizze myself as maf or consort (and anyone who didn't vote on account of not wanting to hit the Doc). I think that considering most of us were unconvinced at Trip's Doc claims, the fact that you "believed" them enough to not vote, and then they turned out to be maf, does not look good for you (y'all)

But in all likelihood, I was a pretty good target for the Mafia. And if I were playing Mafia this round, I would think targetting the same person for death and role-blocking would stand a better chance of assuring death. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought I actually was the Doc in hiding. Trip mentioned a few times he found it surprising I didn't counter-claim as the Doctor, and I guess they figured that was because I was the doctor and wanted to keep it secret (I'm not the doctor, though).

To this point, I think that I also could've been the target for the maf last night. B/c as aforementioned, there's like no way they would've left someone alive intentionally, so that means that they either hit jester, exec, or the Doc's target (also aforementioned), so what came to my mind is that maybe they didn't roleblock and shoot for @An Otaku, instead roleblocking you b/c they think you're the Doc and aiming at me b/c I backed the Lynch Trip movement fairly aggressively, ya' know? Trying to kill two birds w/one stone. Except that it didn't work b/c maybe I was the Doc's target...?

Does that make any sense? It's kind of a wild and ambitious theory. The only thing really believable from it is that Otaku is obviously not the doctor but the maf thought they were. OR, maf knew Otaku was tracker and blocked them b/c they felt like they were hot on the tail? Or they blocked you to confirm that you're the tracker and now they know that you were tracking yourself so they know not to visit you....

Sorry, these are really just wild speculations at this point.

It's hard to get any concrete theories off this round b/c that last round was kind of a hot mess.

I don't know who to vote for yet...

Well...since I kinda missed the discussion phase. Here's what I'm putting forth.

In regards to my reasoning for not voting for trip, there are several. First, it seemed quite likely (until that weird confusing mess towards the end with people jumping in and out) that he was going to be lynched regardless of what I did. Second, I had suspicions that he could have been jester or maf; I never believed the doctor claim for a second. However, with the potential of him being jester, I wanted to play it safe. I was actually going to go ahead and vote for him when it seemed that we weren't going to get 7 votes towards the end there, but Luster went ahead and jumped back in. So, if you wanted to hear my line of thinking on why I didn't vote for trip, that is it right there. Luckily for town, he wasn't jester.

I said I had a few theories depending on the results of last night. Well, I had kind of expected Otaku to die as well, BUT the fact that they were roleblocked...hm. However, I'm currently a little suspicious of @IceQueen. Why, you ask? Well, she first brought up suspicions towards Dipper, and trip subsequently tried to have them lynched during his crazy attempts to not get lynched. Maf? Exe? Possibly. Like I said, it's only a little suspicious and nothing to lynch for yet.

Personally, I don't think the maf would have targeted @An Otaku for death. Roleblocking? Yeah, that's plausible. But, think about it. Otaku was the most obvious choice, so it does stand to reason that the doctor (if still alive) would try to heal them. Why waste a night on someone you can just as easily roleblock? Assuming the maf did think that Otaku had a role (which, evidently, they did). Whenever I play as mafia, I hardly ever try to kill someone the town expects us to, unless there's no other way to save our butts without it. I think it's far more likely that they hit the exe/jester, but perhaps that's how these maf want to play. *shrugs*

Other suspicions? I agree that @Pf.D seems a little suspicious going purely off their behavior. I was going to be suspicious of Otaku. Given the result of the night phase, however, it's pretty certain that they're telling the truth. Plus, trip did end up being maf. I'm still rereading through everything, but these are my initial thoughts. If I see anything else that could be deemed suspicious, I will tell you.

Well...since I kinda missed the discussion phase. Here's what I'm putting forth.

In regards to my reasoning for not voting for trip, there are several. First, it seemed quite likely (until that weird confusing mess towards the end with people jumping in and out) that he was going to be lynched regardless of what I did. Second, I had suspicions that he could have been jester or maf; I never believed the doctor claim for a second. However, with the potential of him being jester, I wanted to play it safe. I was actually going to go ahead and vote for him when it seemed that we weren't going to get 7 votes towards the end there, but Luster went ahead and jumped back in. So, if you wanted to hear my line of thinking on why I didn't vote for trip, that is it right there. Luckily for town, he wasn't jester.

I said I had a few theories depending on the results of last night. Well, I had kind of expected Otaku to die as well, BUT the fact that they were roleblocked...hm. However, I'm currently a little suspicious of @IceQueen. Why, you ask? Well, she first brought up suspicions towards Dipper, and trip subsequently tried to have them lynched during his crazy attempts to not get lynched. Maf? Exe? Possibly. Like I said, it's only a little suspicious and nothing to lynch for yet.

Personally, I don't think the maf would have targeted @An Otaku for death. Roleblocking? Yeah, that's plausible. But, think about it. Otaku was the most obvious choice, so it does stand to reason that the doctor (if still alive) would try to heal them. Why waste a night on someone you can just as easily roleblock? Assuming the maf did think that Otaku had a role (which, evidently, they did). Whenever I play as mafia, I hardly ever try to kill someone the town expects us to, unless there's no other way to save our butts without it. I think it's far more likely that they hit the exe/jester, but perhaps that's how these maf want to play. *shrugs*

Other suspicions? I agree that @Pf.D seems a little suspicious going purely off their behavior. I was going to be suspicious of Otaku. Given the result of the night phase, however, it's pretty certain that they're telling the truth. Plus, trip did end up being maf. I'm still rereading through everything, but these are my initial thoughts. If I see anything else that could be deemed suspicious, I will tell you.
Hold on, I'm getting mixed up. Scratch my suspicions on @Pf.D for now. I need to reread and figure out what I was thinking before. >.> It's been a crazy few days for me.

Ummmmm, I'm a bit suspicious of @Matizze myself as maf or consort (and anyone who didn't vote on account of not wanting to hit the Doc). I think that considering most of us were unconvinced at Trip's Doc claims, the fact that you "believed" them enough to not vote, and then they turned out to be maf, does not look good for you (y'all)
Your convictions were based only on the fact that Trip was being a douche, if I remember correctly. Having a background in ToS, that is not enough for me to lynch anyone. Also, I would like to remind you of the logics behind my choice:

Okay, so I understand the pushing for a lynch, I really do, but at the same time I don't want to possibly kill of the doctor.
Going by @An Otaku 's logics, lynching a townie would not put us in a good position. Rather, it would do anything but.
If we assume that the mafia will hit an innocent, non-protected, target tonight, the numbers will indeed be down to 5 scum and 6 townies, which isn't a good number, I get that. However, if we lynch a townie today and assume the very same night scenario, we will be down to 5 scum vs 5 townies, which is even worse.
Therefore, I will be abstaining, on the premises that a) it gives the detective a chance of verifying Trip's claim, b) the tracker probably will act like a shield for Trip until the detective has checked him, making it risky for the mafia to try and kill him and c) the chances of the mafia hitting a night immune/ protected role increases every night, making it possible that abstaining won't put us down to 5 vs 6, but will leave us at 5 vs 7, giving us a much better chance of rooting out the mafia next day as we will have more information.
Basically, I think we were lucky when we managed to lynch a mafia and, seeing as the mafia really did manage to hit an immune target tonight, my idea would have worked just as well. It might have been slower, yes, but it had been more accurate.

Of course wishful thinking isn't going to win us the game, but consider the odds. First night, out of ten victims (only counting the ones that aren't night-immune seeing as the mafia killed someone), there was a 10% risk of the detective dying. Last night, there was an 11,1% (roughly) risk of the same thing happening. Thus, the probability of the detective still being alive is quite big, right? So it's more of a gamble with statistics than wishful thinking at this point.
Because, let's be real, the probability of the detective being dead is way lower than that of them being alive.

The discussion phase is over, and it is now the voting phase. The voting phase will end on Sunday 13th at 7:30pm (BST). Currently 6 votes are needed to lynch someone.
Kwah!! Already?!
. . .
I agree with you about me being obvious. But, regardless of how much of my original theory on trip was right, I stand by the sentiment that our Mafia Scum are inexperienced. I hold fast to that explanation as to why the killed Lucky. They saw a useful Townie, and immediately went after him. So I think they rashly decided to do the same to me, maybe even hoping for the possibility I was the Doc or the Doctor was already dead.

But alright. I'd said I'd propose my theories before the vote, but Daz surprised me... so ah, guess I'll just throw out names now. Luster and Pf.D. I trust these two implicitly, at least to the point of not being mafia. As for my suspects, I have two. Or, two and a half.

-Dipper
-Kimberlyn
-(Maybe) Kiilgore

I'll post my reasoning later today, since I'm having to get this out in a hurry. Anyway, yeah.

Interesting note on Ice Queen. Perhaps @IceQueen is the Executioner, but that of course, would make @Dipper town. Or, the maf decided to group on Dipper anyways. From previous games, Dipper is kinda always suspicious.

Or, you know Ice Queen is executioner/jester, because you are Maf and attacked them last night. (I'm actually sorry that I keep bringing you off. It's absolutely nothing personal, my maf radar is just going off whenever you post).

I suspected dipper at first from my own mafia radar but I don't really think he's mafia at this point. Personally I think @Kimberlyn is the one I suspect right now mostly because they are calling out a bunch of people including myself. It seems like their trying to divert attention.

Reactions: An Otaku
Alright, here's why I'm suspicious of Dipper.

You guys are insane, seeing the signs this early.
I'm genuinely not sure about anything this early in the game. I'm surprised how so many of you are already seeing the signs, through text, no less.
When I first read these quotes, I basically just interpreted it as "senpai noticed me" (*/▽\*)

But... there is something peculiar about the way its written to me. Dipper says, both times, "the signs." I find it odd because there's actually a little bit of a difference between this sentence just with that word.
"You guys are insane, seeing the signs this early." (Original)
vs.
"You guys are insane, seeing signs this early." (Edit)

The second one implies that, all of us who were against trip and having heightened suspicion against him were just crazy. Seeing things that aren't there, which is a fair enough statement. I myself prefaced my trip theory with my saying this was sort of crazy. But, Dipper didn't say that. He said "the signs." What it means here is that he's admitting what we all saw with trip wasn't crazy. "The" hints at something tangible that actually exists, instead of insanity.

However -- and please include this caveat if you quote me here -- I recognize what I'm saying here is, in fact, a little crazy. I bet if you went through any of my posts using the same analysis I am here, you'd have your own crazy speculations like I do. But, like with trip, I'm throwing this in because it supports other bits.

Anyone else want to make claim to doctor?
I just figured it'd more easily out trip if they're lying. If trip is not lying, then our doctor is at risk. Either way, we're not exactly in a good position right now.
When Dipper first made the comment about doctor claims, once again I was all like, "Oh, that Dipper..."
(o^ ^o)
But, the second line made me hesitate. See, if our actual doctor had come out and protested Trip's claims? They would be dead right now. I don't think there's any question on that. Sure, there was the chance trip was actually the doctor. But as we now know, he wasn't. So if someone wanted to keep Mafia-member Trip alive, you've got two good excuses: 1) He's the doctor, or 2) He's the jester. Both of these were pretty scary to me as well, so I understand perfectly well other's being concerned about it. But at the same time... if I were a Maf who wanted to try saving trip, those would have been my best options to suggest.
"Let's vote Dipper again. That's always worked out well for us!"
( ̄~ ̄;) I'll be honest. At this point, even I'm starting to think I'm crazy. But I got a hunch, so I'm sticking with it. When Dipper said this, as per usual, I just smiled and handed out a cookie. But in all honesty... this really is the best form of defense against suspicion. For example, whenever it comes to Kiilgore, I pretty much just assume a stance of "don't worry about it, Otaku. No chance of being Maf three times in a row." And it's sort of the same thing with Dipper. He was able to hand wave pretty much any suspicion, at least for me, so casually and effectively.... that just. I mean, wow. It's because this quote worked on me, that I'm now standing way back poking it with a ten and a half foot pole.

I'm very, very damn confused. What is achieved by acting as an aggressive doctor? If anything, doctors ought to stay reasonably distant to avoid attention, while trying to curry favor with a bit of genuine friendliness here and there. Nothing obvious, of course. Or at least, watching what they say so they aren't suspected one way or another.

There are multiple possibilities here:

1. Trip is attempting to get lynched due to their role as Jester, in which reacting to the lynching aggressively makes them sound like a panicked Mafia. It's clever. It's something I would do.

2. Trip is Mafia, but is unintentionally obvious. Or intentionally, who knows. That can save you I suppose.

3. Trip is doctor-- A very aggressive one, and a very bad idea.

That's all I've got. I'm no good at this clue finding stuff.

I'd like to hear a bit from trip before the lynching goes through. If Jester, you tend to want to keep quiet to neither confirm nor deny what everyone is saying. It's the best way to get lynched, really.
Right before the lynch, we get a final defense for trip from Dipper. Both are valuable, worthwhile suggestions. Its only because of hindsight we know they're wrong, but they were totally valid at the time, and they still hold up as reasonable. But we do have the power of hindsight, and its because of this.... I'm just suspicious.

For most of the game, Dipper hasn't really been throwing forward too many theories. He's been active just enough to not look like a ghost or anything, and he's usually offering worthwhile statements but is always short of theories and suggestions as to who the Scum are. This tells me that, whatever Dipper is, he isn't a vanilla Townie. As for what I personally suspect? I think he may be the Consort. That's a pretty valuable role to the mafia, so you wouldn't want to stand out in any way. But at the same time, you'd also want to come to your fellow Mafia's aid. Which Dipper did through his posts about Jester/Doctor Trip.

Overall, I don't have as strong a gut feeling about this as I did trip. Plus, from what I can tell, Dipper does usually play Mafia in this fashion (at least I think he sort of did in Game 1, maybe). So I can't tell what's suspicious for Dipper, or just normal Dipper. My biggest problem is, aside from him and Kimberlyn, I'm not really picking up signs from anyone else. Which I should be since we still have the EXEC and Jester on the loose alongside a Maf and Consort.

Oops, forgot to tag @Dipper for any of that.

Anyway. Our numbers right now are at 7:4. Seven townies, 2 mafs, 2 neutrals. Majority is 6, so we're looking pretty good right now. Honestly, the whole trip ordeal couldn't have ended better for us. But if I had to suggest a lynch this round, I'm thinking Dipper.

Even so, I'm not sure we need to. It would be nice to keep this momentum, but... We'd be back to square one if we got an innocent killed.

Alright, here's why I'm suspicious of Dipper.

When I first read these quotes, I basically just interpreted it as "senpai noticed me" (*/▽\*)

But... there is something peculiar about the way its written to me. Dipper says, both times, "the signs." I find it odd because there's actually a little bit of a difference between this sentence just with that word.
"You guys are insane, seeing the signs this early." (Original)
vs.
"You guys are insane, seeing signs this early." (Edit)

The second one implies that, all of us who were against trip and having heightened suspicion against him were just crazy. Seeing things that aren't there, which is a fair enough statement. I myself prefaced my trip theory with my saying this was sort of crazy. But, Dipper didn't say that. He said "the signs." What it means here is that he's admitting what we all saw with trip wasn't crazy. "The" hints at something tangible that actually exists, instead of insanity.

However -- and please include this caveat if you quote me here -- I recognize what I'm saying here is, in fact, a little crazy. I bet if you went through any of my posts using the same analysis I am here, you'd have your own crazy speculations like I do. But, like with trip, I'm throwing this in because it supports other bits.

When Dipper first made the comment about doctor claims, once again I was all like, "Oh, that Dipper..."
(o^ ^o)
But, the second line made me hesitate. See, if our actual doctor had come out and protested Trip's claims? They would be dead right now. I don't think there's any question on that. Sure, there was the chance trip was actually the doctor. But as we now know, he wasn't. So if someone wanted to keep Mafia-member Trip alive, you've got two good excuses: 1) He's the doctor, or 2) He's the jester. Both of these were pretty scary to me as well, so I understand perfectly well other's being concerned about it. But at the same time... if I were a Maf who wanted to try saving trip, those would have been my best options to suggest.

( ̄~ ̄;) I'll be honest. At this point, even I'm starting to think I'm crazy. But I got a hunch, so I'm sticking with it. When Dipper said this, as per usual, I just smiled and handed out a cookie. But in all honesty... this really is the best form of defense against suspicion. For example, whenever it comes to Kiilgore, I pretty much just assume a stance of "don't worry about it, Otaku. No chance of being Maf three times in a row." And it's sort of the same thing with Dipper. He was able to hand wave pretty much any suspicion, at least for me, so casually and effectively.... that just. I mean, wow. It's because this quote worked on me, that I'm now standing way back poking it with a ten and a half foot pole.

Right before the lynch, we get a final defense for trip from Dipper. Both are valuable, worthwhile suggestions. Its only because of hindsight we know they're wrong, but they were totally valid at the time, and they still hold up as reasonable. But we do have the power of hindsight, and its because of this.... I'm just suspicious.

For most of the game, Dipper hasn't really been throwing forward too many theories. He's been active just enough to not look like a ghost or anything, and he's usually offering worthwhile statements but is always short of theories and suggestions as to who the Scum are. This tells me that, whatever Dipper is, he isn't a vanilla Townie. As for what I personally suspect? I think he may be the Consort. That's a pretty valuable role to the mafia, so you wouldn't want to stand out in any way. But at the same time, you'd also want to come to your fellow Mafia's aid. Which Dipper did through his posts about Jester/Doctor Trip.

Overall, I don't have as strong a gut feeling about this as I did trip. Plus, from what I can tell, Dipper does usually play Mafia in this fashion (at least I think he sort of did in Game 1, maybe). So I can't tell what's suspicious for Dipper, or just normal Dipper. My biggest problem is, aside from him and Kimberlyn, I'm not really picking up signs from anyone else. Which I should be since we still have the EXEC and Jester on the loose alongside a Maf and Consort.

Honestly, this is exactly how Dipper has always played. If he was more obvious, I would be more worried, because that's how he played as Jester previously. And even disregarding that...these things honestly don't set off any flags for me, especially when put in context. Basically, I think you're wrong about Dipper.

Everyone talking about @Kimberlyn...Let me just say, right here and now, I know Kim and I know how she acts normally. Right now? She's acting normally. Granted, that may or may not mean something. But in my view, she's not acting particularly mafia-ish. I could be biased because I know her...but, y'know.

Now, I do not entirely trust @Pf.D, partially because they seemed to be allying themselves with Trip at first, but then backed off when we pushed. Several other things about their posts that I can't quite put a finger on bug me, but this is a very recent one...
aiming at me b/c I backed the Lynch Trip movement fairly aggressively, ya' know?
But...I don't think this is all that true. I should look over it again when I have time, but I don't really think this is true. I'll double-check when I have time...

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Honestly, this is exactly how Dipper has always played. If he was more obvious, I would be more worried, because that's how he played as Jester previously. And even disregarding that...these things honestly don't set off any flags for me, especially when put in context. Basically, I think you're wrong about Dipper.

Everyone talking about @Kimberlyn...Let me just say, right here and now, I know Kim and I know how she acts normally. Right now? She's acting normally. Granted, that may or may not mean something. But in my view, she's not acting particularly mafia-ish. I could be biased because I know her...but, y'know.

Now, I do not entirely trust @Pf.D, partially because they seemed to be allying themselves with Trip at first, but then backed off when we pushed. Several other things about their posts that I can't quite put a finger on bug me, but this is a very recent one...

But...I don't think this is all that true. I should look over it again when I have time, but I don't really think this is true. I'll double-check when I have time...
I agree with the statement on @Pf.D something about their behavior strikes me as odd. I don't want to cast my vote yet because I'm not one hundred percent certain.

I mentioned I trusted Pf.D, so I'll explain why I guess.

Before, it went pretty well with my theory. I'm convinced Trip set up that Questionnaire so he could make his statement about how Mafia Members will not align themselves. And I believe he said this to trick people, and then go ahead with it and his fellow Scum anyway.

Its because of that, that I lined up Trip and Pf.D intially based on how they both went after Luster. But! After the whole vote... I don't see it anymore. Some people sort of got a little emotional during the vote casting. And the way Trip and Pf reacted to each other? Yeah, I don't see them being on the same side at all. This is just off-hand, I haven't scanned through her comments like I did with Dipper yet, but I don't have a hunch toward Pf so I don't know if I will presently.

Its possible Trip and Pf. just pretended to have a bit of a spat, in order to distance themselves from each other after I called them out on being buddy-buddy. But the whole debacle, where they were at odds with one another, felt too real to me. So anyone suggesting we go after Pf.D, I'm sorry but I don't think that's a good choice.

• Useful
Reactions: Lusterine and Joan
Basically, I think we were lucky when we managed to lynch a mafia and, seeing as the mafia really did manage to hit an immune target tonight, my idea would have worked just as well. It might have been slower, yes, but it had been more accurate.

We actually don't know. The doctor could have healed their target. Unless you know something we don't.

Trust me when I say that I'm not nearly clever enough to put such subtleties into my sentences.

Trust me when I say that I'm not nearly clever enough to put such subtleties into my sentences.
You're fantastic and you know it.
ヽ( ̄ω ̄(。。 )ゝ

Forgive me, Dipper. I've ran out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.