• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
The idea of being alone due to homework and studying was almost foreign to Rhia. Weren't both good reasons to collaborate and work with fellow students learning the same material? Then again, when she took Zahir into consideration, it wasn't much of a surprise. He had mentioned his isolated upbringing, and he was easily her match in awkwardness, at least when it came to dating. Still, he had a job in a shop, so he had to have enough redeeming qualities for someone to hire him. Maybe Rhia could help him catch a break from his life of being a loner.

"Well, first semester is pretty busy with football season." Rhia scrunched her nose in a playful display of disgust. "Not my favorite subject to cover. Second half is less demanding--it's just basketball, after all--so most of the freshmen and sophomores get those assignments. If I'm lucky, the editor will let me choose a passion project to report on this year. Just gotta figure out what I'm going to cover."

Rhia paused to take a bite from her second slice, but was interrupted by a loud chime coming from inside her backpack. Her face flushed as she hastily wiped her hands on her napkin, and then ducked under the table to dig out her phone. She heaved a sigh when she saw the name of who was calling: Freddie. She struck the red receiver on the phone with her thumb, and quickly set her phone to silent before pointedly tossing it back into her backpack. Suddenly, an idea popped into her head.

Zahir had picked up the fourth slice of pizza to beign eating when Rhia's phone rang. His mouth hung open, waiting to receive the food, but having been interrupted by the noise, his brows creased instead.
He put the pizza down and eventually closed his mouth. It would be bad for him to finish 4 slices of pizza when Rhia was still working on her first 2 anyway, he surmised.

He wondered if she ignored the phone call because it was rude to answer or if she didn't want to talk. Her body language seemed to indicate it was the latter, so he just went for it.

"Who was that?"

"Just my nosy, older sister." Rhia didn't explain any further, hoping Zahir would take her simple explanation at face value. Now wasn't the time to introduce Freddie, elder sibling and werewolf conspiracist.

"So, what's it like working at your job? Are you the only human?"

He was a little taken aback by her question.
"Oh. I, um..." His eyes went down to his plate, and he stared at it.

He wasn't human, this was the first time he'd outright lie about that.
"I... I guess so..." his shoulders has squeezed into himself, and now he forced a shrug.

"I mean, it's really just me and the owner."

He raised his hands, looking back up as he waved his hands a bit, as if she misunderstood him already. "Who is.. a Lycan... Obviously... Heh.."

He forced another shrug and looked down again. "He gets some family to help him out sometimes, but yeah it's really just us, because it's so small. And you know, a bunch of humans working it wouldn't really be the best image for the tourists..."

Zahir's head cocked to the side, "And I really don't work the counter too much, because of that, too. You know..." his shoulders squeezed in again, his thumbs fumbling with eachother as his hands were clasped in his lap underneath the table. "Because of the whole human thing."

He looked down at his lap. "Do you..." Forcing himself to look back up at Rhia's face, he gulped, forcing himself to finish the question, "Ah, do you have a job...?"

He'll have to let me do my own piece, thought Rhia as she nodded along to Zahir's description of his workplace. A small, overlooked cultural gem, owned and run by a real Lycan? And an excuse to continue meeting with Zahir outside of class? She'd be killing two birds with one stone, keeping up with her deadlines and maintaining a social life--something most of the undergrads she worked with only dreamed about. Maybe she could even impress Zahir with her knowledge about Lycan history, spirituality...

"Oh, well," she sputtered as he pulled her out of the daydream. "I actually work part-time with the school's newspaper, alongside of my usual journalism classes. The work part is less interesting--mostly just copy-editing, chasing after people we need a quote from, getting coffee for the grad students, that kind of stuff."

Rhia shifted in her seat, trying to think of how to approach the subject of writing about Zahir's workplace without coming on too strong. She didn't want him to get the wrong impression, like she was just looking for an excuse to insert herself into his life...although, she had to admit, it would be pretty convenient for her.

"So, about the article I want to get approved," she said, pausing to make sure Zahir was listening. "I think a feature piece on that Trade Winds shop would be great. It could bring attention to the piece of the town's history, and surely it could even bring in some business. Do you think your employer would be open to that? Assuming I get approval, that is."

"Oh."

He looked back down to his empty plate as she answered, and then veered off-course right into his insecurities.

"Um. Well I don't... Know..."
He stuttered.

It was probably fine, and it was a good excuse for Rhia to hang out, and also meet his boyfriend. But it all seemed a little too soon? Like, they weren't even friends yet and this date was going horribly but somehow she still wanted to hang out with him.

Also he didn't know if he wanted him not being human to come to light so early in the game. Like, that'd probably come up when covering such a sensitive subject. Especially since he doubted Gaea would lie about how much he thought the tradepost was bullshit if it was only going to be a school project.

Or maybe he'd ham it up for more business. So many decisions.

"I'd have to ask first, I guess. I mean. Have you even been there? What do you think would make it so interesting for your project?"

Rhia's sense of journalistic freedom told her that she wouldn't need their permission--her asking was more of a courtesy--but she didn't press the issue. She was already skewing the usual ethics of objective reporting by choosing her date's workplace.

"Well, no, I haven't been," she admitted. "But I've always liked reading about their spiritual beliefs. I mean, I know I don't have any right to take them as my own."

Rhia paused to take a drink from her glass of water, granting her a precious few seconds to decide how much she'd reveal about herself. If Zahir really worked with a Lycan, he probably got to field culture-tourists left and right. That was the last thing she wanted to convey.

"To be honest, learning about their perspective on life, spirits, rebirth...it all really helped calm a lot of fears I had as a teen. I was a bit of a head case." She gave a short laugh and half-cocked smile, keeping her tone lighthearted. "I guess, then again, aren't all teens? Anyway, you could say I'm a bit of the creative type--I have 'too much imagination ballooned in my head that it's a mystery it hasn't floated away.' That's what my sister, Freddie, liked to say. Sometimes the pretend would bleed over into the reality, and would cause issues. I got better, though."

She balked internally at the abrupt ending to her explanation, fearful that he might not believe her. Or worse, question her. While she did get better, it wasn't because she'd stopped experiencing the odd sensations of being a wolf. Those would still appear to her in varying fashions, from light impulses to full-body sensations. She'd just hoped that by sharing some part of herself, that he'd become a little less tight-lipped about his own background and current life. It'd make getting to know and interview him much easier.

"So," she intoned, "you're anthro, right?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Zahir was inherently a trusting person, and despite his upbringing and luck with the human world, was still slow to judge people. So when Rhia went on about her affinity for Lycan spirituality, there was no negativity in his eyes.

"Did you know there are different tribes" or "Not all lycans think the same thing" or any other sort of moral 'test' to figure out if she were appropriating was completely off the table for him, and didn't even cross his mind. It probably would've flashed through Gaea's, though.

Zahir just listened, and nodded, even caught the disclaimer that she knew she couldn't claim the beliefs as her own - whatever the beliefs actually were - because she'd been so vague that it kind of came off as so many other humans' explanations of one monolithic lycan belief system.

"My pack," he inhaled sharply, catching himself, "..of family members, had kind of a interesting belief system, too. I am not sure I believe in it, but... Believing in something always helps, I guess. I don't think anybody really judges anyone else for looking toward something for comfort," the man said softly.
"Beliefs change over time," he shrugged. "Symbols are... What we make of them." he trailed off, thinking back to a starry night with his brothers and sisters. They were doing a howling, and he had looked over and seen some weird things by a small fire.

He didn't recognize them at the time, but later, after he learned, he'd know they were humans with binoculars, watching them. He couldn't remember if they had cameras too. He wondered if his family was on someone's youtube channel. He wondered if they even knew what his family were doing, or if they weren't real wolves.

"You're anthro, right?"

Zahir shuddered, coming back to reality. Did he miss it?

"Am I... What?" His face was covered with the wrinkles of confusion as he tried to parse the sentence together.

"Aren't.. all.... I mean anthro is human-like... We're all anthro...?"

What are you even asking?

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
"Oh, no, sorry," she said, embarrassed to be misunderstood. "I meant, like, I'm journalism, and you're...anthropology?"

Rhia lifted her second slice of pizza to take a bite of it, but paused to ask, "So, is that why you work at the shop? Are you into studying Lycans?"

"Oh. Yes. Of course." he mentally slapped himself. idiot.
"Yeah, that's my major. It's been slow going, because, like I said..." he shrugged, looking off into the distance, "Not much experience."

He shrugged again and looked down into his lap, where his hands rubbed his thighs.
"Well... I needed a job... And... They were hiring?" he looked up, hoping that would be enough. He wasn't sure how much he should reveal about himself. It was only the first date, after all. He'd lost other jobs for less.

"I sort of ran away from home, you know, my family being a lot of woodsy people. I didn't really have..." his voice lowered as he came up with a believable lie, "good references..."

His social awkwardness had given way to true discomfort, and he was eager to get the subject off himself in any way he possibly could. He was too afraid of scaring her off. He still didn't know much about Rhia, but he liked her. "So, uh," he struggled. "why do you study journalism?"

He managed to fumble the conversation away from himself for the rest of the date, and at their parting of ways, he told Rhia he'd ask his boss about the interview and that he'd like to see her again. But in their awkwardness, had never actually exchanged phone numbers.

Zahir promptly went home after the date, where Gaea was making himself dinner. The lycan looked up from the pan when he heard the door close, and asked him how it went. Zahir was pretty white.
"Terribly," he muttered, slumping onto the couch in the living room.
"I don't know anything about humans. I'm so awkward." the werewolf put his face in his hands with a loud sigh.

Gaea swallowed his mild look of concern away and tried to focus his attention on the meat in his pan. "Sorry," he offered, his right ear cocking to the side. He wasn't sure he should do anything. Part of him was a bit relieved; he'd begun to get a little uncomfortable at the thought of a human girlfriend, but on the other scent, he knew how much the prospect had meant to Zahir.

Eventually Gaea finished cooking and eating and sat down next to Zahir on the couch, who had begun staring into space again. The lycan put his arm around his partner and hugged him close, letting out a huff through his nose while shoving the human form into his chest fur.
Zahir sighed. "Sorry."

Gaea rubbed Zahir's shoulder and bent over to take in a huge whiff of the man's hair scent. After a few moments, he asked softly, "Was the terrible date so terrible to her?"

Zahir shrugged. "Dunno."

"I don't think it was," Gaea suggested. "Stop getting stressed out about human stuff." He flicked his right ear and leaned back into the couch, patting Zahir's head.

"You've known them your whole life," Zahir whined. "This is all new to me, still."

Now it was Gaea's turn to shrug. "You read tons of books, don't you? You'll learn."

Zahir rolled his eyes, "It's not the same."

Eventually, enough time would pass that Gaea would get up and go to bed, leaving Zahir to his own pity party for a while before he, too followed.

The next day, Zahir went with Gaea to open the tradepost. Today they were holding a small performance at noon to draw in some more people. It was something Gaea did every so often to spice things up. So he'd do the show and Zahir would work the register and handle anything that needed handling while Gaea was pre-occupied.

Today had been advertised as a free Gourd Dance, and Gaea would demonstrate a dance that took place during a ceremony to ensure a good harvest and last hunt for the year. Some Lycan tribes lived in very cold climates with harsh winters. Those tribes would farm part of the year and preserve the food to make up for a lack of meat. The Autumn Auspice wasn't really a thing that happened anymore, but it was showy enough that it prevailed as some entertainment for other races. Some forms of it were adapted for human thanksgiving, and now urban lycans that had traditionally celebrated Autumn Auspice generally held the activities on Thanksgiving instead. The Trade Winds had not traditionally partaken in the Autumn Auspice, but as part of Gaea's job to hawk bullshit Lycan culture to humans, he dabbled in a little bit of everything.

After getting everything ready, it was soon time for the performance to begin. The Trade Post was small and the small crowd that had gathered for the event had cramped the store, but Gaea was eager to put on a happy face and entertain regardless.
Dressed in a leather loin cloth that reached the floor, the lycan picked up a hollowed out gourd in one hand and a modified bear claw instrument in the other.
"In Lycan culture, there's an Autumn harvest called the Autumn Auspice. At this harvest is also the last hunt of the year before a harsh winter. After the harvest, we begin the Auspice with dances to honor our warriors, hunters, elders, and gods. We dance and sing to pray the hunters get good kills to last through the winter, but if they don't, then we pray that the plants we've harvested are tasty and nutritious. The Auspice is traditionally the first omnivorous meal of the year. The success of the harvest and the last hunt determine if the winter will carnivorous, omnivorous, or vegetarian."

He held up the gourd, showing it the crowd. "This is a dried out gourd. Most of you have probably seen Lycan Gourd art. But decorative gourds can be eaten. Sealing them in and painting and such is just a form of preservation. This one has been hollowed though, and we use it as an instrument." he shook it and it made a rain-like sound. "They can be filled with lots of different things, but this one is sand."

He then held up the bear claw, a contraption that looked a bit like a hand-held weapon. It had a large opening Gaea could slip his hand through and grasp at his palm. The claws extended outward. "We call this a bear claw. We're unimaginative, I guess. It's made from an actual bear claw. It's not a weapon, but a musical instrument. See?" he tapped the claws against the gourd and it made a hollow sound.
"Bear claws make different sounds than lycan claws do, so we use them with the gourds and other instruments to make a rhythm. The gourd dance is just one of many dances on the Autumn Auspice but it's the easiest to do, which is why I'm going to teach you all how to do it!" he gave a little
laugh to the crowd and then started the actual dance by hopping from foot to foot and shaking the gourd.
Following this, he would alternate between scratching the gourd with the bear claw and tapping it in various ways producing different sounds. He'd also produce various vocalizations that could be described as howls or growls, but was actually chanting, more or less, in Lycan language.

Zahir watched from the counter, somewhat impressed. He wasn't fully educated on lycan cultures, so he liked learning something new. Gaea wasn't so bitter to make up lies from nothing, so he knew the song and dance was probably real, or at least heavily based on the real thing. What Gaea mostly did for tourists was simplify. It was never "this specific tribe here" or "tribes in this part of the world." It was every lycan did this, or some lycans did that, without specification.

As everyone seemed captivated by Gaea's performance, Zahir pulled up a stool and leaned on the counter, wondering if Gaea actually liked dancing as much as he seemed to be. That was until the werewolf's attention was diverted to the door of the trade post opening and Rhia walking in. Immediately, he stood up, his face going white.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
By the end of their date, Rhia was ready to apologize to Zahir and part ways as acquiantances. Despite outwardly getting along and finding Zahir attractive, she had noticed the way he would dodge questions about himself. At first, she thought he might just be shy, so she would share something about herself, looking for Zahir to reciprocate. He'd give a plausible answer after a few seconds of thought, but she could tell something in him was still resisting. By the end, Rhia wondered if it was his way of saying he wasn't interested. So, after they'd paid and were saying their good-byes, she was thrown for a loop when he mentioned wanting to see her again.

"Ah, sure," she stammered, her fists clenched in the pockets of her jeans. "Sounds...good. Yeah, good."

After a few more awkward exchanges, the two parted ways for the night. On the way home, Rhia's head was swimming, trying to make sense of Zahir's feelings. Once she reached her apartment, she'd become fixated on his statement about seeing her again. Did he really want to see her again, or did he just think it was the normal thing to say? Why would he say it?

Rhia plopped herself down at her laptop, her mind still trying to grok why Zahir would like to see her again that wasn't answered by, "Because he likes you." Opening her email client, she realized that maybe...just maybe, he was talking about seeing her again because she'd be writing that article on the Trade Winds Outpost. He did mention talking to his boss before that, so maybe he had gotten excited over the idea of his employer getting positive coverage. That was most likely the answer, Rhia's insecure mind argued, and she was silly to think he meant something else. Afterall, he'd seemed uncomfortable for most of the date.

Arguing with herself internally, Rhia distractedly composed an email to her professor about doing a story on the shop. After sending it off and having little luck conversing with herself, Rhia decided to call Frankie, hopeful for some sisterly advice.

"I think I know his deal," said Frankie, after Rhia hashed out her recollection of the date.

"What," Rhia breathed out nervously, "What is it?"

"He went on a date with you."

"I--wh," Rhia sputtered. "C'mon! I'm serious here. I feel like an idiot, like I'm reading too much into something that isn't there or missing something that should be obvious. I don't know what to do."

There was silence on the other end of the line, and then Frankie let out a deep sigh. "Honestly, Rhia, I don't know. What does your gut say? It's usually pretty spot on, when you choose to listen to it."

The two sisters spoke for a while longer, moving from the subject of Rhia's date and onto recent family gossip. Once they'd tired of topics, they said their goodnights and hung up. Rhia prepped herself for bed, with the belief that some sleep would do her better than chasing her proverbial tail about Zahir's feelings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taking the bus rather than driving had been a good decision. The Trade Winds' parking lot wasn't large, but it was unexpectedly full. Rhia wondered if she'd undersold its popularity to her professor, who had emailed her earlier in the day, asking her to convince him that a worthwhile article could be created based on this one store. Rhia wouldn't be doing any in-depth work

Rhia pulled open the glass door and found why the shop had drawn such a large crowd. Some sort of demonstration was going on, with a lycan at the center of the crowd. Rhia wondered if it was the owner, and not wanting to draw any more attention than she had, swiftly ducked toward the back of the store. Pushing her way past shelves full of unfamiliar knick-knacks, she turned her attention to the guy standing behind the counters at the back of the store and realized it was Zahir. She sheepishly raised her hand in greeting and gave a quick smile. She would've given him some warning, had she thought to get his phone number last night.

"Sorry," she mouthed, trying to be respectful of the performance still going on.