Low-Wage Silliness

"Yeah" He agreed, smiling genuinely. This was going to be amazing. "So um... what exactly is happening after work?" he asked, making sure he had all the info

"Hmmmm...Well, Jason invited some of us to go to a club he has some kind of in at. I'm guessing there'll be dancing and drinking. But I don't plan to do much of the latter." Lilly honestly wasn't much of a drinker, so she planned on being the responsible one of the group. Plus, she didn't want it to effect her work the next day. "I think we're leaving right after work. I'm still really glad you're coming with us."

Steampunk-girls-21.jpg

Clary:

Huh. Well, it ain't every day I scare the bejabbers out of somebody, Clary thought. How, exactly, was someone who wasn't famous, or particularly scary (as far as she could tell anyway...) supposed to react to that?! "Uh...no worries miss. Sorry, didn't mean t' startle ya. So, how do ya organize 'em?" she said, picking up some books. "Genre an' author's last name, or do ya got some other system?"

@Noctis the Devious

"It's not big deal. I won't be drinking much either" He said, adjusting his glasses a little as he caught a glimpse of his reflection in the counter. "So how long h-have you been working here?" he inquired, a little nervous to pry into her life.

@racheljessie

Lilly looked down. This was a bit silly to admit. "It's actually my first day here. I was hired to take over the last front counter person." She smiled. "It's not my cup of tea, but I'm liking it so far. At least I'm meeting interesting people."

Damian blushed a little. He hadn't ever really considered himself interesting, a bit weird sure but not interesting. "Y-yeah I k-know what you mean" he studdered, his nerves brought back at even this indirect compliment. Maybe it was the way she had smiled at him more than the words but the butterflies in Damian's stomach had returned.

Lilly thought Damian looked a bit queezy. It was kind of adorable what even just a smile could unintentionally do to him. She'd never thought of herself as particularly pretty or popular. "So, what about you? Have you been working here long?" She looked up into his eyes.

Dear God, when she looked into his eyes it made him weak. "No not for very long at all" He replied, composing himself a little. 'Keep it together Damian, this is happening and that's amazing but you've got to keep it together' he thought. "I mostly just sort out the shelves. I hate disorganisation" he admitted

Lilly nodded. "I get that. I'm not exactly a fan of it either. If you even need help doing stuff around here, just grab me, okay?" She couldn't help but be happy that her first day of work was going so well. Better than she could have dreamed. She was even comfortable with some of her co-workers.

@Zarko Straadi

Hayley Campbell
"Oh, uh, don't worry about it. Just don't make me walk the plank," she joked with an awkward chuckle at her own lameness. She blinked when she was called miss before totally realizing she never introduced herself. Oh my god she probably thought she was some weirdo raised by heathens! "Hayley," she offered a little too insistently for her liking. With a blush she added a little more politely, "My name's Hayley Campbell." The whitest name ever. "You can uh... Start with genre and then alphabetically by author's last name and numerically if in a series." Pretty standard stuff honestly. Sometimes it was best to keep things simple for other people but somehow customers still managed to mess everything up for whatever reason.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Zarko Straadi
Steampunk-girls-21.jpg

Clary:

Clary laughed at Hayley's little joke. It was kinda nice dealing with someone that familiar with Steampunk, instead of getting, 'What's with the weird outfit.'

"Oh, I don't make people walk the plank," Clary replied. "Folk on the ground tend not to like that much. Not that I actually have an airship, but if I did, I reckon there'd be potatoes in need of peelin', decks in need of swabbin' an' all that," she said with a smirk. "I do have design sketches an' some preliminary numbers though, just in case I become the solarpunk J.K. Rowling someday. Pleasure to meet you, Hayley," Clary said, shifting the books to cradle them in her left arm so she could extend a hand.

@Noctis the Devious

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Nat walked into the familliar store she could be called something of a regular. She seemed receptive to the antics of the employee's even though she played it like she was annoyed, she never actually walked away from it. She clearly enjoyed it even if she wouldn't possibly admit it to herself. She was wearing her black duster that hung low to the ground, a plain blue t-shirt and grey jeans. It was clear she didn't come straight from A job. She was walking briskly as she often did, making a beeline towards literature. Her shoulders were drooping, her hands were shoved into her pockets. As she approched the area where she thought her target may reside she adjusted the strap on her messanger bag and reached for the zipper, opening it up she pulled out a microsoft surface tablet and woke it from it's sleeping state. "Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple" She mumbled to herself before looking back at the shelves.

Lilly went back to work, ready for the day to end. She had never felt so happy and excited. Maybe she would check out the author that was doing a signing today if she had a moment. She waited on what few customers there were, not quite as nervous and awkward.

@Zarko Straadi

Hayley Campbell
The brunette noticeably relaxed and even supplied a sheepish chuckle. "I... I'm a horrible cook," she admitted. "I think I would prefer the plank." A light blush dusted her sheek as an awkward grin tugged shyly at the corners of her mouth. "The pleasue is all mine, Ms. Shae." She made a mental note to ask about the design sketches later, or at least attempt to, before politely excusing herself to nearly sort out the books in her arms. If working with steampunks pirates were stated in the job describtion from the beginning, she would have signed up for it long ago. She inwardly fan girled, but her awkward inner celebration was stopped when she came upon a Dragon Age novel peeking out from behind some Jerry B. Jenkins novels. That didn't belong there. How did that even...? Deciding to be the merciful savior that she was, she rescued the novel and worked her way through the neatly organized shelves of assorted literature.

Last edited:
Casper wandered through the store aisles as he contemplated where to take a nap. Seeing several people in conversations he steered clear so as to not get involved in anything that required him to exert effort. Sneaking into his small office in the corner of the store, Casper pulled the blinds and shut the door. After makig sure everything was in its place Casper flopped onto his swivel chair and promptly put his feet on his desk and began to sleep. Unfortunately he did not realize that anyone who looked close enough could peek through the small gaps in the blinds and see inside the office.

In just the aisle over, over top the bookshelves Nat could hear Two people talking. She was silent, listening for a few moments as she set the tablet to sleep and placed it back in her messenger bag. This wasn't uncommon for her. She listened to others in secret often. Not for any nefarious purpose mind, it was just an absent minded quirk. Her head was lightly tilted upward as if it would help her hear, but she continued to look at the shelf. Finally finding what she had came for. She picked it up and flipped it over, reading the back as she turned away, walking toward the front counter so she could pay. Albeit slowly so she could hear the conversation.

Lilly noticed a woman walking toward the front counter slowly and that she seemed to be listening to something. She hadn't met too any interesting customers yet. It was only her first day. But this girl seemed to take the cake.

Not wanting to eavesdrop too much Nat looked ahead, toward her target, the front desk. Her step hedged and she stopped in her tracks as she saw a girl she had never seen before manning the till. Natalie shifted out of her awkward half step stance and stood straight looking at the girl for a few moments. The lights from above highlighting the dark circles under her eyes and breathing life into her forest green eyes. She simply stared for a few moments before she shifted the strap on her messenger bag and began to approach, her long black duster flitting a little bit with every step. Her eyebrows tilted inward as she approached wearing a hostile expression as she simply slid her book to be purchased onto the counter with no words.

Damian turned around suddenly, hearing the slight noise. He found himself looking at yet another girl, a customer this time. None the less, it still felt like he was surrounded here. As his position was encroached upon, he began to get nervously. "H-hello can I help you?" He asked

Lilly thought this girl that she was checking out was strange. "I got it, Damian. If you need to go do other stuff, go ahead." She started to scan the merchandise. "Did you find everything you were looking for?" She felt so awkward talking to this girl.