Low-Wage Silliness

Damian's eyes widen with her words. Self confidence was never his strong point, but this girl seemed to be ok with him. He smiled nervously yet earnestly as she handed him his pass. "Likewise" He said, feeling much better about himself. This girl was nice. He maneuvered his way out of the counter and gave her a little wave as he walked away to the videogame section. He had barely gone three steps before he turned back around to her. "Do... do you like soup?" He asked her, his face still showing signs of blushing but with more confidence this time.

Lilly giggled. She thought his awkwardness was very cute. Much like her own before she got the feel of people. She smiled widely. "Yeah, I guess so. Why do you ask?" She hoped he wasn't gearing up to ask her out. While it would not be the worst thing in the world, she had plans with Jason that night...But maybe something could be arranged. It had been a while since she felt a guy was interested in her.

"I make soup because it's the most cost effective way to eat a meal and-" Damian caught himself before he began to list the advantages of soup. "My point is is could make you a soup at home and bring it in here, as a thank you" he offered, one of his hands ruffling the back of his hair instinctivly. He looked away as he quietly made a risky move. "It's better fresh though" He added quickly, sending out an invitation to his home subtly.

Lilly blinked. He was actually inviting her to his place to cook for her? She'd never had a guy do that before. She'd always wanted to cook for a guy, but wasn't any good at it. "That sounds great! Just name the day and time, and we'll set it up."

Damian was once again suprised at her eagerness, he hadn't expected her to say yes. "T-tomorrow about an hour after work?" He asked ecstatic. This had gone better than he ever could have dreamed of.

Lilly nodded. "Perfect. I'll make sure to work up an appetite. Oh, um...A couple of the guys that work here and I are going dancing after work. Maybe you could join us. It'll be fun!" She didn't expect him to say yes, but she figured the more, the merrier. Plus, though she liked Jason, she wasn't one hundred percent sure she could trust herself around him with just one other person she knew.

Damian's smile transitioned into one of deep thought. Options. Go or not go. Go because pretty Lily + other guys = possible hook up. Not go because pretty Lily + dorky Damian = Lily realising that she doesn't like him. It came down to two factors. The chance Lily would get hit on and the chance that she will end up realising that he's not that great. Pretty Lily getting hit on = 100% chance. Damian trying his best not to goof up and still screwing things up = 99% chance. Well, looks like he was going. "S-sure" he said nervously smiling at her

Lilly thought it was adorable how nervous he was. She couldn't help grinning as he gave his answer. At least there would be someone as awkward as she could be there. "Glad to hear it. We're getting the whole experience, apparently."

Damian raised one eyebrow a little behind his glasses. "The whole experience? I don't think he intended this for me as well" He said, laughing. He was definitely getting more comfortable around Lily. Wait. He was laughing? His laugh was high pitched! Oh Christ, what would she think?! Damian stopped laughing abruptly, blushing again at his outlet of emotion.

Lilly giggled. His laugh was kinda weird, but she didn't mind it. "Probably not. I feel like he's a bit of a player. But he's only been nice to me so far."

"I'm a p-player as well you know" Damian said cheekily, setting up a joke about his competitive videogame past time. He felt it was the best was to tell her as he wasn't sure how she would react.

Lilly had to chuckle at that. "Sure you are. But not in the same way Jason is. What kind of games do you play? I play play a bit, too." Lilly was feeling more and more comfortable with him, and she didn't even know much about him. She hoped that this was the start of a good thing.

"I mainly play Smash Bros because I play it in comp but I've got a few PC titles as well" He admitted, opening up with her. Her warm smile just made him feel like she was someone real. Someone he could talk to. "What about yourself?" He asked

Lilly blushed deeply once again. "Oh, nothing too much...I like The Sims, and Pokémon...You know, just fun, low key stuff." She liked that she could open up to him. She usually didn't tell people the kinds of games she played. She thought they'd think she was a nerd or childish.

Steampunk-girls-21.jpg

Clary:

The truck looked like the sort of thing you might want to drive to the Apocalypse in. The wagon it towed might have been a foreshadowing of a happier, more whimsical world to come afterward. Clary pulled in and, with a compass built into a handmade brass-and-oak dashboard, angled for the closest thing she could get to a north-south parking spot on the edge of the parking lot, where she'd be out of the way of ordinary vehicles.

Dismounting, she unsnapped the olive-drab tarp from the pickup's canopy to reveal the PV solar cells that covered the canopy's shell. She stowed the tarp, then retrieved her sailwing wind turbine and fastened it to the telescoping mast attached to the rear of the pickup. She unfolded the sailings and locked them into place. Unlike heavier conventional wind turbine blades, they were more like high-performance sport kites, made from tensioned fabric and bamboo struts. The fabric sported colorful batik designs incorporating ideograms from Tibetan prayer flags. She tightened the tension cables, then turned a crank to raise the mast. Might as well charge up the wagon's batteries, right?

Satisfied, she locked up the truck and headed into the store.

"I make soup because it's the most cost effective way to eat a meal and-" a geeky-looking guy said to a cute girl at the counter--both employees, apparently. Clary arched an eyebrow, but resisted the temptation to suggest a hydroponic gardening system as an alternative to industrially-extruded ramen, at least, if that was the kind of "cost-effective soup" he was talking about. He fumbled his way toward inviting the girl over for soup. Both were blushy and awkward, but also kindof adorable, so Clary decided not to interrupt. She wasn't in a race, after all. She poked around a little, and found the book section, where a young woman was looking quite flustered as she set about trying to deconstruct an Eiffel Tower of Books and reorganize them.

Huh? Okaaay, Clary thought, wondering why the budding architect would be creating book displays without the consent of the person apparently running the book section. There was a lot of book-reorganizing to do (the book-architect had been quite industrious), and it would probably all need to be done before Clary started bringing in stacks of her own books to prepare for today's event.

"Pardon me, can I give you a hand?" she asked. "Name's Clary Shae." Dressed in a billowy linen blouse, caramel colored leather doublet and kilt, bison leather belt with capacious utility pouches, matching calf-boots with rows of gear-shaped brass buckles running up the front, flowing white scarf, and of course, her brass goggles, Clary looked like she'd just stepped off of a pirate airship, or maybe come in out of the Wasteland. "I'm the author of Don't Wait for the Zombies and Carnival at the End of the World, got a reading, discussion and book-signing here for today. You the person I need t' talk to 'bout settin' up?"

@Noctis the Devious

Hayley Campbell
Hayley's mind was still in full rant mode when she turned, arms full of books, but was stopped in her tracks - both mentally and physically - when a freak'n steampunk pirate asked her about setting up and introducing herself as the writter of two of the books currently on the recently neglected reading list she had been meaning to get around to. Somewhere between fangirling over the choice of attire - she absolutely loved the style - and panicking over the fact her floor, nor her for that matter, was not prepared for this, the grip on the mound of books pressed against her chest slackened and said literary works tumbled to the floor, startling the gawking brunett out of her, well, gawk. "Oh my god I am so sorry!" she squealed. Her newly freed hands pressed themselves to her mouth for the lack of anything better to do and her grey-blue eyes absolutely bugged out behind the wide frames of her glasses.

"Let me uh-- Just give me--" she stumbled over herself, quickly reclaiming all of the dropped books. She chewed her lip when she was finally up right and glanced back at what used to be Colorado's very own Eiffel Tower, which didn't look too Eiffel-ly anymore. "S-sure," she choked out. She could always preoccupy herself with fixing any shelving mistakes the steampunk pirate made while said pirate did her thing, and then promptly read the books collecting dust on her electronic device. After all, it was kind of rude to work with an author and not read their books.

Archie Wood

"Depends on your definition of busy, for us a busy day is when everyone actually has something to do. We get enough business to keep the store alive but most days its pretty empty."

Archie let out an enlightened groaning noise accompanied with a small nodding of the head. Following Casper into the back room he listened intently as his new manager explained the task. Turning on his heel after inspecting the boxes to ask a question he noticed that Casper was already long gone. "Ah..." Archie sighed before turning back. "Well, I guess they don't have barcode scanners or anything in the states." Pulling open the crates, he drudged through his menial task with as much optimism as he could muster. He had to admit, he found repetition boring and simply trawling through boxes of items he cared nothing for didn't really help his predicament. "Hang on," he mumbled, a tone of subtle elation in his voice, "What's this?" Pulling one of the novels from the last box, he peeled open the first page as a smile crept its way across his lips.

dragon_age_asunder-book_3d.jpg

"You cheeky little bastard," he chuckled to himself, getting stuck into the opening. He had been looking for the latest novel in the series for so long it'd had almost drove him mad. He'd even put off playing the video game that chronologically followed it in the fantasy world's lore. So many wasted trips to shops such as Forbidden Planet, so much temptation to miss a bill payment to order it off the internet... Ah well, that didn't matter now. Now he could enjoy at the least the first few pages and know exactly where it would be to buy after his shift. 2 pages turned to 10 and 10 turned to 20. Noticing the passing of time, Archie let out a distressed gasp as he realized his committal of procrastination. Speedily checking the rest of the books, he continued on with his task of placing the items to the shelves (and cheekily hiding his choice novel behind a few boring old tomes for his own gain). Before long, he had completed his task and surveyed the room to see if there were any customers in need of assistance. The place seemed quite empty, causing a sigh to slip from his lips and his shoulders to slouch slightly. "He wasn't kidding when he said pretty empty."

Wandering the store, he noticed several employees engaged in different conversations though he didn't have the nerve to talk to any of them. Interrupting would be rude and he was a little shaken after his earlier blunder. He explored for a while before ending back in the book section. After reaffirming his desired title was still in its hiding place, he headed towards the front of the shop. As he did so, he noticed the girl he had talked to earlier stumbling over her words with some rather oddly dressed woman. I wonder if I should offer my help?

After going through a few records Jason decided he had heard his fill of old time music for the day and got up to stretch. Just as he was about to sit down his phone went off in his pocket making him have to reach in and answer it since he was expecting a call from his friend. "Hello you got Mr. primetime...what's going down Big Ray are you ready to light it up tonight?" He asked laughing as they talked about all the things that they were gonna do tonight, "You bringing the boys with you too right...Okay then thats cool i'm bringing a few people myself," he said and and laughed at the response he got, "No man its not like that just a few people i'm getting to know at work is all...see this is why you always getting in trouble..what do you mean why you always trying to be in somebody's business and don't you lie." After exchanging a few friendly insults he decided to end the call before he got in trouble, "Alright man i'm gonna let you go and i'll see you tonight alright...no i ain't sending you no pictures you'll see when i get there now bye," Jason replied hanging up laughing for a bit before walking back out since nothing was really happening at his station. He passed by the counter waving at Lilly while she talked to another guy, but didn't go over since he didn't want to interrupt them speaking and finally made it to the game section after so many attempts before. He checked out some of the new releases that he hoped went on sale soon before picking up a game he'd been looking at for a while and placed it behind the counter, "The benfits of being an employee its sometimes makes up for having to wake up early."

Damian smiled as she revealed her own gaming background. "Pokemon is brilliant! I never got into The Sims but Pokemon was half my childhood..." he said, chuckling a little bashfully. "Oh do you mind if I s-suprise with what I cook?"

@racheljessie

Lilly flashed him a smile. "Not at all. I like surprises." She vaguely noticed Jason passing and waving. "We'll have stuff to talk about tomorrow night, then." Lilly was so happy that he didn't mind the kind of games she liked playing. She was looking forward to tomorrow night more and more.