Low-Wage Silliness

After clocking in, Ashley looked around her new workplace. Concerning what she knew best, she went ahead into the book section and sat down on a stool that was by the cash register. Her employer was well-aware of the fact that she was pregnant. After all, it's pretty hard to hide that bulge in her belly. And it was tough for her to walk and stand. In terms of talking to her co-workers, she was really shy...so they'd have to approach her first...

Hayley Campbell
The brunette fought the impulse to hide behind the counter when she heard the automated doors part and in came one of the employees she reluctantly worked with. There was really no reason to hide from the people she worked with, unless they looked and acted like Sammy of course...

Hayley blinked and looked away, not wanting to be caught openly staring at him as she tried to figure out why he was tracking water everywhere. She broke that habit in college, or at least developed an awareness of it, but every now and then she still found herself staring off into space only to come to and meet a freaked out human being. Really, she didn't mean anything by it! It just sort of happened sometimes when she was lost in her thoughts...

Like how she was staring at her computer while recounting the numerous times she was caught staring at people, and that one time a lady misunderstood and flirted with her. Yeah, no, no more staring at people in thought! She shook her head and inwardly sighed, jumping to a half-stand when she heard a crash and debated whether not to check it out and make sure no one was hurt. Then came along a seemingly random pregnant lady. What the freak was she supposed to do with a pregnant lady?!

"Uh... hi?" she ventured, slowly reseating herself. "Can I uh... th-that is..." Dude, where was Linda when she was needed most? This was her thing, not hers! "Do you need assistance?" she half inquired/half demanded. Oh my god she raised her voice at a pregnant lady, what was wrong with her?!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VengefulPeanut
Archie Wood

Asa! Asa dayou! Asa gohan tabette gakkou ikuyou!

The intrusive sound of Archie's phone alarm ragged him from his peaceful sleep. It was a shame, really. His dreams were a grand litany of scenarios where he slew orcs and saved a thousand princesses all in his boxers. But that's what dreams are like after all and nothing gives that 'welcome back to reality' feeling like his torturous alarm tone. Seriously, why did he think it was a good idea to have that blurting into his ears every morning. He gave his eyes an intense rub in an attempt to bring himself around a bit more.

"What was it that I had to do today?" he muttered to himself in an absent tone, looking down at his crumpled bed covers. Blowing off the thought, he moved into the bathroom to brush his teeth and shower. The initial cold burst of water that fired from the faucet succeeded in waking him up, at least. Maybe it was a water-induced revelation or the sheer amount of sugar he accidentally spilled in his tea but as he sat in his living area a thought suddenly struck him like a bolt of lightning. "Work!" he gasped in a panic. Watching him fly round the house, swiftly gathering his things, would have been quite humorous if the Sonic the Hedgehog theme was playing in the background but alas the only sounds were those coming Archie as he cursed repeatedly in alarm. Having his things, he slung his rucksack over his shoulder and ditched the last of his tea down the sink before jogging out.

Archie wasn't the sportiest of people, despite what his thin frame might have suggested, so when he arrived at his workplace he was panting like a dog in heat. Pressing his hands to his knees, he tried to recuperate his breath before looking at his watch in dismay. Oh, he wasn't late. That wasn't it at all. But he did remember he'd set his alarm an hour early to give himself time to readjust to the new routine. So, an hour before his shift was due to start, Archie headed through the doors of his new workplace. At least the dread and fear of the new environment, people and work helped him forget his earlier blunder.

As he entered, a quizzical look shot across his face. The place was practically a ghost town - even for a morning shift. "H-hello?" he asked, a timid tone prominent in his voice. He wasn't loud enough for anyone to hear and he dare not disrupt the peace of the place. So, pressing onward, he looked around the store. The place was quite standard. Nothing fancy, nothing drab. A worrying tone in Archie's inhabitance of America. Unsure of how he arrived, he wandered into an area completely crammed full of books. It almost looked like a sort of pseudo-library which made Archie wonder whether they sold any Manga. Might as well take a look, he thought to himself. Before finding the manga section, however, he came across the cash register where a girl about his age was sat. She looked sort of absent, as if she was waiting for something to happen - clearly an employee. This was his chance, he might finally be able to find out where they wanted him and what they wanted to do with him. Approaching, he noticed that she was with child and was initially put off asking her any questions. If she was pregnant, she may not be an employee and oh that old British social faux pas of asking someone if they worked in a place when they didn't was engraved on his brain. Still, you don't ask, you don't get. Alas, his psyching himself up for his first encounter was dashed as another woman wandered across. Wait a moment... she sounded like she knew what she was talking about... ish. But how to take advantage of this opportunity without looking like some creepy lurker...

Giving himself a brisk slap across the cheek to snap him out of his panic mode, Archie took a deep breath and headed over. "Erm... excuse me," he butted in with a quite voice, "Hi, so...erm... I'm new to this place and..." You didn't say you worked there! She'll think you're a customer! Quick, Archie, salvage the situation! "I WORK HERE!" Sometimes, I lament that I'm stuck as the voice in your head. Archie gave an awkward chuckle, scratching the back of his neck before continuing, "I mean... I just started and I didn't want to be rude and interrupt but I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where I'm supposed to go. I'm so sorry to butt in like this..." Well... at least apologising like a Canadian on a caffeine rush is a start...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lydia ran into the girl's bathroom in the break room and rummaged through her bottle cap and pin covered messenger bag. She pulled out her emergency versatile tooth brush, some deodorant and a washcloth. Pumping the soap dispenser, Lydia wet the wash cloth and quickly wiped her face and then gave her pits a once over. While she was doing so she repeatedly glanced over her shoulder like a paranoid deer. She really didn't want to get caught by her co-workers or even her boss, while giving herself a hobo wash. Finally Lydia brushed her teeth, cringed while she rinsed her mouth out with the faucet water and then dashed out of the bathroom.

Bypassing the isles that led to the registers, Lydia scurried over to the book section and started to work her magic.

...Er, her construction.

Construction magic...Whatever.

Today she decided that she would build the Eiffel Tower. It would be too hard, as she had made even more extravagant displays in the past. The Leaning Tower of Pisa had been her favorite...Although it had leaned a bit too much and...Well whatever, who stood that close to book displays anyway?

"Beautiful!~" Lydia gasped when she was finished with her book tower. Satisfied with her work, Lydia finally headed over to the registers where she was supposed to be in the first place. She saw that Hayley, Ashley and some guy where all standing around one register and the guy seemed a bit panicked. Walking over there, Lydia draped an arm around the panicking guy. "Hee-ey, brother," She grinned at Hayley and Ashley, "Sisters, what's going on?"

• Love
Reactions: Zarko Straadi
Casper yawned as he walked into the store, "9:15...right on time.." Walking into the manager's office Casper went about checking the daily emails he recieved from the district head. "Boring, boring, old, demeaning, boring...actual work." After reading the last email Casper reluctantly stood up from his swivel chair and meandered out of his office. Looking around Casper overheard someone loudly announcing that they worked here. Following the voice, Casper found the small group standing around in the book section.

Seeing as how the voice was male and there was only one guy amongst the group of girls, Casper deduced that he was a new hire. "Well its surprising to see -yawn- everyone this sociable in the morning. Lydia please make sure your...creations are structurally stable, we dont need a lawsuit because of a book avalanche. Also you there, new guy, since you are new you get the fun job of inspecting and categorizing the new shipment of canned goods. Follow me." Without checking to see if the guy was actually following him, Casper wandered away towards the back of the store.

"And there goes a train of people coming through," Jason thought watching everyone come in near opening time. This whole time he was just making sure that everything was placed in its exact order listed from movie titles, genre, and how good he thought they were. He had been entertaining himself by playing some music in his station from an old record player that he got from his grandmother as a gift for christmas a few years ago. "Alright now since thats out of the way I can go up to my favorite place for a bit," he thought making his way towards the video game section or as he referred to it as his second home. He gave a little wave to his boss as Casper just arrived but stopped at the group that had started to gather. "Hey there guys what going on in this neck of the woods," he asked leaning against one of the bookshelves and made sure to be careful in doing that as he didn't want to start a domino effect here.

When approached by another woman, Ashley got a little worried because she had raised her voice. "Oh, sorry. My name's Ashley...Today's my first day here...The Hire-Ups kinda placed me here." Perhaps the boss forgot to tell everyone of a new-hire. That was common from what Ashley can remember. "You know, you don't have to raise your voice. We're not a Sports Game." Ashley smiled a bit.

As another woman came by, Ashley started feeling a bit anxious. Normally, she'd take medication to help with her Anxiety issues, but it was deemed unsafe for the baby. As she held onto her stomach, Ashley began thinking about how socially awkward and how shy she was.

Hayley Campbell
Another person came about and Hayley became more and more flustered, a blush steadily blossoming across her fair skin. She wasn't even aware there were any new hires! Or maybe her boss tried to tell her while she was distracted with something else. Finally, Linda came by but didn't seem to offer any help. She glanced between the three of them, not wanting to say anymore on the matter in case she made the situation worse. It was only did her manager come by to whisk away one of the new employees did she relax if only a little.

Lydia! That was her name! She'd have to write that down for future reference. Too bad, she looked kind of like a Linda... Wait, Creations? Book avalanches? She peered over at the floor she was in charge of and inwardly shrieked. What did that woman do to her books?! She bolted passed the perpetrator, and Jason for that matter, not that she gave much notice, and inwardly flailed. Why did that woman insist on ruining her perfect system? What need could there possibly be for an Eiffel Tower made of books in the middle of Denver, Colorado? More importantly, why of her books? The guys that ran the other two floors possibly wouldn't mind having Effile Towers made of their movies or games!

She tugged at her hair before setting to deconstructing the abomination and replacing each and every misused book back on their shelves in an orderly fashion. Who mixed Steven King with P.C. Cast novels anyway? It made no sense! In what universe did the bestselling author of horror write crappy teen vampire romances set in a cliché boarding school settings? It was criminal!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zarko Straadi
Sweet euphoria. Coooffeeeeeeee. Can't have civilization without it. Sammy existed on entirely different dimension while she downed her first cup. She gave a dazed nod of farewell to Jacky, ignored Lydia's mad dash for the bathroom, and eventually--once she could bear the world--refilled her cup and left the back room. Laconic as always, she passed the trio of girls and the lost-looking screamy-boy--thought she didn't realize it'd been he who screamed. It sounded more like a Hayley-howl.

While passing them by, she bleakly declared, "I'm burying the next person who yells in the store." Her eyes never moved from her destination and her gait never gained an inch of pep, not even when she reached the front counter. A grunt, and she dropped her butt onto the stool behind it. Another long, wonderful day of sitting on her bum and planning world conquest lay ahead.

Barely a moment passed before...UP goes her cup. Where will it land, nobody knows! "Okay, I'm bored." She slapped her palms on the counter, leaned over it, and peered into the back, "Is Jason even here, today?"

At the moment Jason was content to see everyone rush about, but he felt like he was forgetting something important. And just as if he had the brightest revalation, "Oh yeah i forgot to put up the new movie releases...whoops." After remembering his mistake he walked back over to find Sammy looking in the back for him and calling his name, "No he died and went to hell..which might actually be a step up from this place," he replied towards her comment and pulled out a box with the brand new movies to hit blu-ray. "Wanna stop being bored and give me a hand over here," he asked as he begun to sort them out in his odd little rankings.

Archie Wood

Quite the crowd was starting to gather, causing Archie to blush red slightly at his nervous outburst. Following the instructions of Casper, he headed towards the back of the store, ready to begin his first actual task in his new workplace.

"So... does the store get quite busy most days?" he asked, aiming his question to Casper as they walked in some feeble attempt to make small talk. He felt himself die on the inside slightly as a result of the question - he might as well have commented on the weather. Ah well, at the least the weather was better than back home, on that topic.

Lilly walked into her new workplace, wearing her work shirt and khakis with some sensible black flats. Her full name was Lillian Rose Le Fey, but she hated it and only went by Lilly. She was the new front counter girl. She looked around, hoping someone would notice her and try to strike up a conversation. She was no good at small talk, but she wanted to try to put herself out there and get over her shyness. "So many people...," she thought as she blushed. "I hope I fit in..." She moved toward her counter, trying to avoid anyone's gaze. Lilly was quite awkward around people she didn't know at all. "I've gotta try," she thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon, the store was full of workers. Bryan smiled happily and comtinued to work on inventory and product deliveries. He needed to make sure the store was fully stocked. His eyes went up at the pregnant lady, some nervous looking guy, and the head man himself. His eyes went back to the screen before turning off the laptop and putting it away. He grabbed a broom and started to sweep the floor. The place had to look immaculate so the place looked more attractive. He hummed a soft tune and drowned out the people as he moved past the front and to the corner of the store. Hard work will pay off Bryan. Just keep on working.

Lilly set up her counter for the day and leaned against it on one hand. She sighed and waited for any customers to come see her. There were a few workers around. She wasn't one hundred percent sure, but she thought she could faintly hear the sounds of someone sweeping and humming a little tune. It was times like these that the lyrics to some of her favorite showtunes ran through her head. She idly hummed Aquarius, the opening piece from Hair and played with her hair while she waited for something to do.

"And that ladies and gentlemen is how you properly sort an entire genre of movies," Jason said aloud to himself looking rather proud of the job he did. Now since that was done he went to go and visit the game section like he planned on doing all along..until he heard someone humming a tune. He found the source when he walked up to the counter and saw a woman messing around with her hair. "Well then looks like we have a late arrival," Jason says walking up to her leaning against the counter. "So it must be your first day here seeing as how your outfit still looks brand new," he joked trying to strike up a good conversation to pass the time until some customer showed up.

Lilly blushed, stood up straight and cleared her throat. "Uh, yeah...I'm the new front counter girl," she said in a soft, slightly trembling voice. "My name's Lillian. But call me Lilly unless you want me to throw a fit." She looked down, trying not to meet his eyes. "Geeze, I'm blowing this!," she thought. "Don't be so self-conscious. He's just trying to make small talk."

"Well glad to meet you and welcome to the family Lilly," Jason says holding out his hand for her to shake. "She seems like a nice girl just has a bit of a shy streak to her," he thought while smiling at her in real time, "Though shyness seems to be a bit of a trend in this store as i've come to see so far."

Lilly shook his hand. "Uh, thanks. So...you must have worked here for a while. Do you like it here?" She blushed heavily. "Don't be so boring!." she thought. "Uh, I mean...tell me a bit about this place or yourself or whatever." she said with a forced smile on her face. "Ugh! Stop babbling!," she couldn't help but think.

"Well then thats a lot of questions but why not i'll answer them," Jason replied laughing as she stumbles over her words. "Yeah I do like this place a bit just need to set up my station with my personal fair and then it'll be golden," he started off with answering her questions in the order she asked, "As for the workplace well just keep on your toes since something new is bound to happen everyday." He paused for a moment trying to think of something interesting to share about himself until it struck him, "Well I guess a big part about me is that i'm a major sports fan, gamer, and dancer so yeah just your average person really."

Lilly looked at him curiously. "You dance?," she asked. "I always wanted to be an actress! I love dancing! Hmmm...Put up personal stuff around here? I guess I can do that. Thanks for the advice. Is...is there anything you wanted to ask me about myself?" She could tell she was going to get along around here. At least with Jason.