Low-Wage Silliness

Nat looked over to the boy and nodded once. "Damien." She said simply with a brief pause. "Still having trouble talking to girls?" She asked politely despite wearing an angry expression. She looked at the pin pad for debit and credit to see the total before looking at the girl who was handling the purchase. "and what about you? You must be new, what? First? Second day?" She despite the attitude her eyes were looking into Lilly's cautiously searching or hoping for something, as she again, shifted the strap on her messanger bag out of discomfort.

Lilly nodded. "Yup. My first day. Um...How do you know Damian?" She didn't like that way she was looking into her eyes. What could she be looking for?

Damian had begun to panic inside. The pretty worker girl and the pretty customer girl who tidied up her book mess were both here. Oh dear. They were both nice people, but Damian knew that two nice girls, especially pretty ones, could quite quickly become nasty. Like Jenny. Jenny had been nice to Damian until Sarah had asked Damian to help her with a box. Fifteen minutes, a quick exchange of volatile language and twenty three punches, kickes and hair tugs later both Jenny and Sarah has been fired. Which of course had somehow been his fault. Which had resulted in a sanction. Damian hated sanctions because they impeded his work. How could he make sure everything was right if he was filling in 'progress forms'? Thankfully this new management was much better at allowing him to function efficiently. But that was besides the point. The point/problem was that Damian had no way to predict how these two would react to each other. He just hoped they were both nice for real.

"Frequent shopper." The girl answered simply and honestly as she moved her duster to the side and reached her hand into her jeans pocket to retrieve her wallet. She pulled out her debit card and hovered it near the slot, waiting for the prompt. It was obvious she had taken note of the girl's unwillingness to return her gaze. "Seems strange that there are two who are so timid manning the service desk." She said as she inserted her card and began inputting her pin. "Anything need fixing?" She followed up casually, not that Lilly would know, but Nat was a tech for hire, she would always fix employee's items for free. Or if the store ever wanted to take her up on her services she would offer a reduced price. Either way, she didn't appear to just want to simply complete the purchase and leave.

Lilly shook her head as she rung up the purchase. "Nope. I'm okay with everything. You come here a lot, huh? Well, I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other. At least until I move."

The girl was silent as she removed her card and slipped it into her wallet. Her hand moved back, pushing back the duster again and sliding the wallet into her pocket in a single fluid motion. She looked up again, watching Lilly. For a moment her angered expression flirted briefly on the side of disappointment, but soon returned to its natural state. "Do you move alot?" She asked as she scooped up her book and began walking. It looked as if she were leaving, but once she got the edge of the desk, placed her butt against it before sliding down to the floor. Keeping her back against the desk she lifted her knees to form an arch and opened her book. Leaning forward for a brief moment to look up and make sure Damien was still there.

"Oh, no, I...," she started to answer before the girl disappeared. "I only plan to move only I save up enough money to go to New York and start acting." Well, that was...something, she thought as she went back to work. She tided the counter and leaned against it.

Nat nodded considerately as she read her book. Her angered expression melted away when she read, she looked like a normal person infact. "New york huh? Sounds nice." She didn't speak any louder to compensate for the distance. "What about the shy boy who's bad with words? Any dreams to speak of?" The sound of paper scraping on paper let the two clerks know that she had flipped a page. "Why an actress if I'm not too much of a bitch for asking?"

Lilly jumped a bit when she heard the voice. She thought the customer had left. "Uh, well, because I have been interested in acting since I was little. I've done several shows. But why do you ask this kind of stuff?" This girl was nosy, and she didn't like it.

Steampunk-girls-21.jpg

Clary:

"'Clary' is fine," she said as she started shelving books. Thankfully, Hayley seemed to be relaxing a bit, even if shelving errors seemed to peg her irritation meter. At least, that's how Clary interpreted her reaction when she spotted a book with 'Dragon Age' somethingorother on the front among some books written by a Jerry B Jenkins. Is that the guy that co-wrote those gawdawful Left Behind books? she wondered, but pulled her mind back to her task. Best not to make some mistake and cause Hayley grief.

"So, what kinda books d'you like, Hayley?" she asked.

@Noctis the Devious

Nat curled up a little more, her knees coming closer to her chest as she continued to read. "Maybe I'm a just a terrible human being who's gathering information to use against you later." Her defensive voice said with an indignant mask over it. "What's it matter anyway?" She mumbled afterward. She seemed to be torn between being hurt by the question and hoping she hadn't offended too much. She sighed as she began to pull her messanger bag off and wiggle her arms our of her coat to get a little more comfortable.

Lilly shrugged. "Or you could just be a nosy weirdo." She hoped this was the case. Not that she had anything to hide. She just didn't like people digging too much into her personal life.

Damian just looked back and forth as the concealed venom was spat from mouth to mouth. Oh no. They didn't seem to like each other... did that mean he had to pick a side? Oh no...

There was silence that was broken by the sound of another page turning. "Yup..." She sighed. "That's me. Nat, the weirdo with pale skin and bad taste in clothing..." Weirdo, the title dropped out of her mouth with a pound acrimony weighing on it. Lilly had not been the first to call her that and Nat was certain she wouldn't be the last. There was a shuffling around as Nat began digging in the pockets of her coat. She pulled out a phone and scooted over a little bit. Her hand raising over the edge of the counter placing the phone down, her number was displayed but she didn't seem to have any inclination of telling her why she was offering it to Lilly. She then seemed to go back to reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hayley Campbell
Hayley glanced over at the Clare with surprise. "Oh, uh, I don't really find one genre better than another. I guess it's all about how I'm feeling at the moment," she mused. "But I do prefer reading books by self published authors or who aren't published at all but write for fun or working on being published. Is that weird?" She smiled sheepishly and glanced around the shelves when she heard would could have possibly been a dispute at the front counters. With her being so close now, would she have to cut in? She wasn't even sure if she could do that.

Last edited:
Lilly looked at the phone, confused. "Why are you giving me this? Do you want my number?" This chick was getting weirder by the second. At least she didn't seem dangerous.

Nat let out another audible sigh as she put her book down and raised her hand. She put her arm on the counter and lifted herself up until her eyes were peering over. Her phone's screen had turned off so she pressed the home button and it lit back up. "This is my number." She said pointing at the number on the screen. "I run computer and general tech repair out of my home. If you need something fixed or if you have questions, call this number and I'll help." She then slid back down and opened her book again. "If you don't want my number then don't write it down. That's up to you."

Lilly shrugged and wrote down the number. "Well, thanks. If you ever have need for someone who acts, you know where to find me." she joked, hoping it wasn't awkward. At least she was nice. She didn't break stuff that often, but it was a cool offer.

@Shyblade

Last edited by a moderator:
Clary:

"Dunno if it's weird or not, but those of us that aren't published by the big companies appreciate it," Clary replied. Hearing the sounds of argument coming from the front counter, Clary turned her head and watched with a sidelong glance.

"Yup. That's me. Nat, the weirdo with pale skin and bad taste in clothing," a customer at the counter snapped. She thinks she's a weirdo? I might just have to take her up on that challenge, Clary thought, smirking subtly. Hey, that duster's not a bad look. Might have t' ask her where she got it...

@Noctis the Devious
@Shyblade