Legend of Renalta 2: Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to stick around to the end of the missions in order to not inconvenience anyone, but I've changed my mind. I do not want to stick around under a GM who honestly believes his players are too stupid to do anything but have monsters thrown at them and told to fight and believes them incapable of doing scenes of substance to any merit.

So with that, have fun, guys. You have my full permission to puppet my characters however you see fit in the missions so you don't get screwed over. I expect brovo will kill them in combat within a few scenes as retribution, but until then, you need all the help in combat simulator the rp where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

I was going to stick around to the end of the missions in order to not inconvenience anyone, but I've changed my mind. I do not want to stick around under a GM who honestly believes his players are too stupid to do anything but have monsters thrown at them and told to fight and believes them incapable of doing scenes of substance to any merit.
You might wanna talk to Brovo about his plans after the missions. I think you might quite like them.

I do understand your concerns, though. The central idea of the combat simulation as you call it is probably here to stay, so if that engine is the meat of your complaint, well, so long and thanks for all the fish.

I will be joining in on the first train out of here leading to a more colourful looking tomorrow. Posting had sadly become a chore which I was having no fun in unless it was in collaboration posts where I interacted with other players and their characters to together work to something greater and with possible far reaching plans and plots for the future of my and their characters.

Now with a majority of those players and their characters actually gone I see no point to continue with this rp. I was going to stick around as well till the end of the current mission roster but after being told how this GM thinks about his players I also have no longer a desire to stick around and endure more of what has, as I said, become a annoying chore.

The only sad note I leave behind is the plans I has imagined with your character @Kestrel for that I'm sorry I can't stick around. If you want you can, if it somehow survives, get your hands on the book my character has which has a soulgem with Sarzum's characters soul inside it. You can hash out something with him perhaps or think of your own plan.

I grant permission for people to puppet my character in the liveria mission before she no doubt dies gruesomely. Thanks and well wishes to you all who still enjoy the rp and I hope your fun lasts longer than mine has.

@Brovo

Can we get a preview of the new stat, trait and skill system?

I gotta admit my character hasn't been that fun either, but I think it's more due to the fact that I didn't know what I could do with mysticism. I think if Sonia survives the mission I'd want to change that School to Necromancy. A lot of the things I wanted to be able to do are encompassed more by Necromancy anyway.

Can we get a preview of the new stat, trait and skill system?
Certainly. I'm tempted to put the whole thing up into a Google Doc so everyone can see and comment on it. In fact, while the thought is in mind...

Google Doc. Everything done so far. Y'all can comment on it to voice concerns, and I'll keep updating it as time progresses.

As for missions, I've received the criticism that there's too much action in the missions. A change that was already planned was a longer intermission period to let everybody do more in the politics section and develop relationships further, faster. As well, story traits are a thing. They're akin to achievements, but you earn them for doing stuff in the role play. So for instance if Kasim (@Jorick ) woos over Helena, he can probably call in political favours from Liveria. Or if Child (@Hellis ) pursues control motifs with his/her spirits with Unamo, he'll earn unique abilities. Or if characters earn pets or items as a result of their travels, they can have them as story traits. This was put into place to prevent people from losing physical achievements--like @Orion 's magical bag of rats. Queen's Blades ranks also reward in-character relationship building.

Future missions will also be more varied, so combat missions will remain present (it is a role play about a fucking war after all) but other, not-constant-face-grinding-combat missions will be present. The current wave of missions are about 2-4 posts away from completion.

Combat should also be clarified better. I've heard through the grapevine that some combat results feel "arbitrary", and that's specifically because I hide the numbers from you likely. The new system not only shows the numbers, but you decide exactly down to the last percentage chance how effective your character will be at certain tasks. (As you can see with skills now feeding into stats, and each skill having a 0-100 point investment, and the dice rolls going from a d20 to a d100.) I'm also likely going to reduce the death odds on characters, as I've received complaints from some players that I appear to be vindictive in how I kill people off, which is never the intent. It's also because with a new system, I don't want it to be overly punishing should it prove to be more difficult.

I'm sorry to see @Tempest and @Andrea go, but, hey, life takes people different places. I wish them luck with their future endeavours. As for the rest of you, as always, if you need anything--questions, comments, concerns--just send me a message, or leave one here in the OOC.

I'm also going through some trying times, so, if I'm slow to reply, I apologize. We're halfway through the story: Here's to hoping we can get through the other half with all the more fun.

Guidelines
  • Post once per round. A "round" is established each time the GM (me) posts. This is a soft rule: It can be ignored if the situation permits and it is appropriate, such as for collaborative posts.
  • The more actions you take in a single round, the less chance of success all actions overall will have. This is especially true in combat: If you focus everything into avoiding an attack, odds are good you'll succeed. Your character will have to split their concentration over multiple tasks if you do more than that, so if you plan on a counter-attack after avoiding an attack, your odds of evading the initial attack will drop a little. Not substantially, but a little. This is how I counter godmoders: If you try to do everything at once, you will fail at everything.
  • Conversely: If you intentionally attempt to support team mates, or team mates support you, your odds of success increase a little. Ergo, boss monsters or difficult puzzles which may overwhelm you individually can be taken care of with team work, and coming to the defense of an ally or attacking an enemy already engaged with an ally increases odds of success without self-injury as well.
  • You must select a special item during your first round or else forfeit having one. You can find the item list here: (Scroll down to Requisitions List.)
  • Below these guidelines, and with each proceeding GM post, you'll see something called an "Action Log" posted in the OOC. This details what actions the GM perceives your character to have done, so you can see directly what I saw from your post. Ergo if I missed something, you can point it out. If I get grumpy about it, remember I'm probably not angry at you, I'm probably angry at myself.

Action Log

This may be expanded from time to time if people find certain things vague. Consider this a reference to any strange terminology you may encounter in the log.

NAT: No Actions Taken. Will behave as though character hesitated. While not defenseless, it is highly recommended you avoid this. At the start of missions, since you've had no opportunity to commit to any actions yet, don't worry about it.

Pinned/Disabled: Character in question is unable to escape the grasp of a spell or creature and requires allied assistance immediately. If left to their own devices, they may escape, so long as no other enemies interfere.

NPC Behaviours: These are behaviours that NPC's can be assigned to. They can do a mix of behaviours.
  • Independent: Character will behave independently of the PC's, and depending on their personality, and established relationships, may or may not prefer to support player actions or act alone.
  • Under Orders: Character is doing as a player requested of them. If the order seems suicidal or the NPC dislikes you enough, they may bawk at given orders and behave independently instead.
  • Aggressive: (During Combat) If character is engaged in combat, they'll be on the front line, attempting to punish enemies from afar with magic or ranged weapons or up close and personal with melee weapons.
  • Defensive: (During Combat) If character is engaged in combat, they'll be focused on keeping allies out of harms way through magic and keeping enemies from causing them harm.
  • Passive: (During Combat) Character will not engage in combat and will actively attempt to keep themselves safe from harm. If possible, they'll support allies at minimal risk, if any.
Modifiers: Bonuses to actions based on how your character is behaving, should it make sense. GM Interpreted.
  • Defensive+: Bonus to defense, as a result of the player holding a position and remaining alert and ready.

Pet/Item: Your selected item from the Requisitions List will be displayed in your character action list, indented beneath your character. Currently active pets and summons are also here, so it should be clear who owns what on the battlefield. Pets and summons without names will be assigned names if necessary to differentiate them from opposing creatures with similar descriptions.

Kingdom of Renalta - Heart of Madness

Group 1 (Players)
  • Murderok: Issues a threat to Dirge, then stays behind with his two sons.
    • Magic-Breaker (Item): Blocks one spell.
  • Sheriff Cennick "Cen" Greenborough: Discusses things with Oran, hands Abjaar his vial of Angel's Blood.
    • Books (Item--Unique): Illusion & Swamps of Time. (+Lore knowledge.)
  • Abjaar 'Bastille' Korsair: Attempts to strike diplomacy with Dirge, successfully.
    • Angel's Blood (Item): Heals any wound. Can only be used once.
  • Mikan: Internally conflicted.
Group 2 (Allies)
  • Dean Hansen: Negotiates with Dirge, successfully.
Group 3 (Ceasefire)
  • Dirge: Powerful Orc Knight, bound by oath to James the Illusionist. Plate mail armour, massive warhammer, the speed to use both effectively.
  • One Half-Orc: Wielding a mace and a large wooden shield, along with leather armour. (Cennick trait: The Half-Orcs don't have the strength of a full Orc and more easily succumb to bloodlust, which makes them fight harder, but with far less self-defense.)
  • One Half-Orc (Oran): On the ground, having dropped his weapon. His leg is injured and openly bleeding.
Group 4 (James the Illusionist)

Imperium/Amazons - The Dream of Empire

Group 1 (Players)
  • Sonia: Retreating! (Casts a dehydration spell.)
    • Treated Blood Vial (Item): Can call forth spirit with personal or ancestral connections to aid you in animal form. One use.
    • Objective Secured!
    • Four soul gems remaining: Blue, Green, Black, White.
  • Doctor Steven Adian Gremlock: Helps cover Sonia's escape, then flees himself.
    • Imperial Missive (Item): Summons 3-5 Imperial Scouts to your location from closest point. One use.
  • Armerza Gilkak: Salutes entity, retreats.
    • Angel's Blood (Item): Heals any wound. Can only be used once.
  • Fahim: Standing by to handle the situation himself, if nobody else will.
  • Veira: On the ground, panting.

Kingdom of Liveria - Ancestral Bonds

Group 1 (Players)
  • Kasim Amibilus: Knocks an arrow and prepares to attack the next target.
    • Goran Amibilus (Dire Wolf): Ready to fight. (Below.)
  • Laenaia: Attempts to use shadow magic to distract orc war chief, "as before".
    • Seal of the Trader (Item): Convince merchants and the underbelly of society to side with you instantly.
  • Rayvon Krayvitch (NPC): Fighting.
    • Haruuk: Ordered to guard. (Above.)
  • Andrea Llolth'Allin (NPC): Unconscious.
    • Huil (Giant Spider): Fighting.
  • Zoe Vasilios: Doing as Kasim instructed and descending.
  • Gabriel: (Below.)
    • Treated Blood Vial (Item): Can call forth spirit with personal or ancestral connections to aid you in animal form. One use.
Group 2 (Allies)
  • Princess Helénē: "Dead."
  • One Orc Guard: Possessed, traumatized. Helénē has no training in melee combat, and will not last long against him.
  • Shaman Molkar: Not engaging in the battle, but he has prevented further reinforcements from entering the room.
Group 3 (Enemies)
  • One Orc Guards: Armed with axes and shields, in light armour.
  • Agent of Wrath: Armed with a twenty foot long, chain & hook whip. Black plate mail armour.
  • ? Orcs: Likely hundreds, swarming into the cavern system from all directions, but only on the upper floors now. A ticking time bomb for all concerned, though thankfully coming from above much sooner than below...

Goblin Holds - Antiqua Scientiam

Group 1 (Players)
  • Esyllt Boudica: Goes after the imps and the artillery piece.
    • Venatrix: Amazonian Metal Golem.
  • Child: Summons a duelist spirit to help her.
  • Maeven Lucre--Mechanist ARGMOC (NPC): Panicking.
    • Fafnir the Father (Mecha-Dragon): Doing as ordered, engaging hounds.
  • Aslo: Fires at the doom guard's neck.
    • Seal of the Trader (Item): Taken from Daevon's corpse.
  • Nyla Valerius: Trapped in Esyllt's magical container.
  • Unamo: Preparing a spell...
Group 2 (Prisoners)
  • Brave Imp: Awestruck by what's going on.
  • Tulerian Artillery: No dedicated crew for it. They only have a few shots left.
Group 3 (ARGMOC)
  • One limb lost, no secondary armaments.
  • ARGMOC badly damaged.
  • Maeven is panicking and in a state of shock.
Group 4 (Enemies)
  • Agent of Pride: Bone-covered wings akin to those of an angel, longsword & shield. Longsword is wreathed in dark flames. Wearing plate mail.
  • Shapeshifter (Enigma?): A Shapeshifter, akin to Fahim. It is also an artificial construct. It wields a foreign blade. Its name may be Enigma, or that might be what the demons simply call it. Enigma may have also fled the battle, rather than staying to fight.
  • Doom Guard: A large, horned demon. Fifteen feet tall, with a large axe, and hooved feet.
  • Eight Imps: Fleeing in panic.

Kingdom of Tuleria - Unto the Breach

Group 1 (Players)
  • Aëyr: Orders three Imperial soldiers to fire at doom guard's face. Moves, and attempts to attack humanoid demon.
  • Yuri Elrivvin: Engages humanoid demons, attempts to avoid the charging doom guard.
    • Angel's Blood (Item): Can heal any wound. Can only be used once.
  • Arkos Cernunnos (NPC): Bought the Farm.
  • Toorg: Goes defensive facing off against the Agent of Lust.
  • Otto Kastner: Knocked aside, fatigued.
  • Quar Velathari: Preparing another spell...
Group 2 (Allies-Surface)
  • One Imperial Scout, armed with mechanical bows.
Group 3 (Allies-100 ft from Portal)
  • Two magician-buccaneers.
Group 4 (Enemies-Surface)
  • One fifteen-foot tall doom guard, laying on the ground bleeding to death, but might still attack anyone who goes near it.
  • Agent of Lust, bound by Quar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Next Post: Saturday 3rd, October.

Everyone posted this round. Hooray! Good work, everyone!

Changes So Far

The OOC Reformat has had further updates done to it. All the lore entries on nations are complete. There are additional lore-fluff pieces of information. Kingdom of Renalta and Kingdom of Liveria's NPC info is done. Here's what I have left to do...​
  1. Finish characters information.​
  2. Complete companions. (Since more are returning, I can likely just copy-paste a lot of it.)​
  3. Polish Creative 3.5 engine (stats-traits) and set the number of stats that players have earned down. (I figure anywhere between 200-400 is likely what players will get, but we'll see when I do actual number crunching and not ballpark figures.)​
  4. Finish the Character Sheet.​
The Google Doc hasn't been updated to account for all of this yet. Either way, I've finished reformatting Tuleria as a kingdom and even added a lore entry specifically oriented around their new military. This will (hopefully) give them something more of a personality than they had before. @Kadaeux worked on and finished the Goblin Holds as well, all I have left to do is ask him to work on Xixis and maybe an adviser--we'll see. @Orion I'll also need to call you up soon, for Dean Hansen's info. Since I'm restoring control of older characters to their former owners, it only makes sense that you have control over what he is too. :ferret:

Here, have an entry about races. If y'all have any questions or comments or suggestions I'd welcome them, as always.

The races of the world come in all shapes and sizes, with new races appearing and vanishing all the time thanks to the constant presence of magic all across the world. They can come from distant lands, from alternate dimensions or time lines, from magical experiments, and so on. There are, however, a few more dominant races on the world. Before one proceeds, it should be noted that most races have individuals that suffer mutations which exempt them from certain attributes that the rest of their race possesses. In short: Characters do not need to be defined by racial traits, and can typically ignore them of their own free will, if they so wish.

Drow: In spite of their appearances, there is no historical connection between the Elves of the surface and the Drow of the Underdark. Both parties are often offended when the comparison is even drawn in the first place. Drow are often self-centered, deceitful, and distrustful by nature. They don't live as long as Elves, instead living between 500-800 years. Elderly Drow overwhelmingly begin to go insane, committing suicide due to "the compelling whispers in their head" before they die of old age. Drow owe their existence to Llolth, their living Goddess, who keeps herself hidden away in the Underdark.

Drow have green blood, akin to that of the spiders they worship.

Dwarves: A short, stocky people, known to live between 200-400 years. They are known to have an unusual tolerance for alcoholic drinks. They also seem to have a penchant for collecting things. For some dwarves, it could be buttons. For others, gold. For most however, there is a great interest in acquiring magical artifacts. The older and more powerful they are, the more one improves the state of all dwarves. Beyond that, there is little about them that is substantially different from humans, as several half-breeds over the years have shown.

Elves: This long lived, fair skinned people often hail from deep within the Dark Forest, west of the Kingdom of Renalta. They are extremely xenophobic to outsiders, often maintaining nomadic outposts to keep an eye out for intruders to their territory. This isn't for paranoid reasons either: The other mortal races are a dirty lot. Elven children take 50-60 years to mature into adults, and have severely compromised immune systems. One common cold can wipe out every infant in a single village in a period as short as twenty four hours. This has often led to elves being called "the tragedy race" by those who know of their terrible curse. Even without disease, infant mortality is higher than it is in other populations, as the long period of time between childhood and maturity presents them far more opportunities for death than in other populations.

When elves reach adulthood, their immune systems toughen up, becoming able to fight off the diseases of other mortals. However, elven adults can still infect their children with diseases. Therefore, immense precautions are taken in dealing with other races. Speaking at a long distance is common, and any elf that comes into physical contact with another race is quarantined for a period no less than three weeks. Elves who consort commonly with the other races are outcast from their people. Not out of wrath, but out of a sorrowful necessity: Thousands of children are worth more than one elf's social independence.

Attempts to use magic to alleviate this terrible curse have always failed. There is something about elven biology that even magic seems unable to repair. Diseases can be cured, but by the time a disease shows symptoms in their children, it is often too late to save them.

Elves who do manage to survive a tumultuous childhood can live to be as old as 2,000 years. However, only a few elves ever unlock the total potential of that lifetime, and it typically takes them hundreds of years to do so. Most elves go through "lifetimes", periods that last between 100-200 years. Each lifetime, an elf's old memories start to degrade to the point that they can no longer remember how to do old tasks or remember the faces of old friends and family. Thus an elf goes through multiple personality shifts and social roles in a single lifetime. Those few elves who do unlock their total potential cease to forget old memories, and become greater than the average mortal could even dream of: These few elves are what keep the race going, against all odds, until they can find a better way of life than what they have now.

Humans: Humans are one of the oldest races in the known world. They existed before recorded history, and were some of the first empire-makers. In most nations, they tend to be the most visible population. Humans live in nearly every environment on the planet, and though they may not be as physically hardy as orcs, or as mechanically versatile as the mechanists, they've proven time and time again to wield the best overall attributes for survival. Humans breed quickly, and live to be between 40-120 years of life, dependent heavily on their quality of life. It should also be noted that humans are one of the only races capable of interbreeding with all other humanoid races, and even some non-humanoid ones. Some hypothesize that humans were the originator species for most others, but this is heavily debated, as ancient history is often obscured by propaganda.

Mechanists: (Not playable, though characters can have mechanist bloodlines, such as a mechanist grandparent.) Mechanists are an extremely reclusive and mysterious race. It is not known how long they have existed, though they have particular talents with their own technology that mystify even old wizards. They're tall, slender humanoids, with bright green hair. Their legs are longer than most other races. Mechanists and those with mechanist bloodlines can simply touch mechanist technology to awaken it and use it. No inherent skill is required to use it—it simply works as intended. This means mechanist rifles and the like always work in the hands of those with mechanist bloodlines, even if they're untrained.

This does seem to come with a tradeoff. Spirits—especially those which have been trapped in mechanist technology—become extremely aggressive toward mechanists if freed. Even if one freed a spirit, it would often immediately turn on the mechanist and attempt to destroy it in any way it can. Only the most peaceful or powerful of spirits can resist the bloodthirsty urge. Spirits from the Blood Sea's Choir seem inherently immune to this odd quirk as well.

Orcs: A large and powerful race, but also prone to bouts of extreme aggression or sexual promiscuity. Orcs live to be between 30-100 years, dependent on quality of life. The natural, bestial compulsions of humans are amplified greatly in orcs, making even the most stalwart of them struggle to maintain control in the face of great battles, or extraordinarily attractive persons. On the other hand, when in a bestial rage of one sort or another, orcs tend to be even stronger than they normally are, and immune to most pain or shock tactics.

Orcs tend to be between 7-10 feet tall. Humans are one of the only races that can interbreed with orcs, as most other races simply prove infertile for their offspring. Orcs have existed for thousands of years, and the orcs that live in the Goblin Holds are usually a little smaller and less aggressive than their more tribal cousins, who live in mountain ranges. In spite of the increased difficulty, orc mages and orc knights have been known to obtain a great measure of self-control over themselves in most situations, given years of training.

We are 1-3 rounds away from all the missions being over now. Y'all in Renalta and the Imperium/Amazons are likely closest, and may want to do collabs for your last posts in this round. If you wish. Once this wave of missions is done, I'll post up the OOC reformat, then get to work on the mission epilogues, moving into the longer transition period.

If it seems like this post isn't quite up to the quality that I normally try to ensure, it's because I'm recoiling a bit from a sudden loss of players. This is an absurdly high NPC to Player ratio, and at this point, my objective is to reach the end of the missions so players can get to the new system and a newer, more varied set of missions to do. As always, if there are any questions, please ask. There are other factors as to why this post may not be quite up to the standards I normally set for myself, but those factors are for close friends to know only, for it's a highly private matter. :ferret:

Thanks for y'all's patience during these times. I really and truly appreciate it.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Holmishire
Post up. I wasn't sure if it was a killing blow situation or not. But I did my best to make it as final as possible.

Post up. I wasn't sure if it was a killing blow situation or not. But I did my best to make it as final as possible.
It is. I'm moving the missions to their conclusion a little sooner than planned. I'm getting the changes out soon as well, so players can have more of the relationship building and interactions they enjoy. :ferret:35,043 words done so far.

It is. I'm moving the missions to their conclusion a little sooner than planned. I'm getting the changes out soon as well, so players can have more of the relationship building and interactions they enjoy. :ferret:35,043 words done so far.
Allright then. Hell of a ride everyone. But Childs player is bowing out after this mission. I wish everyone best of luck in saving the world!

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
Changelogs
  1. Updated BBC to be more appealing on the eyes. No more giant ugly [spoiler] buttons: [spoilerbb] master race. Shiny status bar. Shiny warning and info labels. Better organized tabs, with theme names! The list goes on.
  2. Creative 2 updated to 3.5. Base traits replaced with stats.
  3. Reorganized into a theme of war: Escalating War, Intelligence Centre, Registration Centre, Resources Centre, Master Archives, Library of Records.
  4. Plot updated to reflect current political climate in-universe, from "Intro" to "The Paths of War."
  5. Bios updated for old nations (Kingdom of Renalta, Kingdom of Liveria, Kingdom of Rheinfeld, Kingdom of Tuleria, Free Holds, Goblin Holds, Imperium, Blood Sea).
  6. Bios added for new nations (Drow Confederation, Dwarven Meritocracy.)
  7. Bios added or updated for the following non-companions: Queen Kouri, Queen Alexandria, Hanus Wolfsblood, Crown-Prince Xavier, Princess Helénē, Taigyn, Davian Valorious, Alida Spiegel, Boann of Tuleria, Janelle, Marcela Adrianna Otis, Rashad, Tina Yusaf, Xixis Madheart (@Kadaeux created this), Kregg Nskulla (@Kadaeux created this), Maurie Merryweather, Florence Merryweather, Queen Ethlinn, Valetorias Merra, Arduran Kenate (Valsharess), Duncan of the Rocklover Clan, Amanda The Archmage, Myria of Renalta, Sarah Darkhammer, Malaki Duralus, Molkar Zenistrad, Meryl Slothschild.
  8. Bios added or updated for the following old companions: Nyla Valerius, Listener Unamo, Fahim, Zoe Vasilios, Otto Kästner, Mikan, Gabriel, Quar Velathari.
  9. Bios added for the following new companions: Dirge Tyrven (Note: May be removed if mission results would cause him to refuse the Queen's Blades, but I'm 90% sure players won't make that choice), Aurora Noire.
  10. Veira is no longer a companion because of politics involving the Mage's Guild. Eric is no longer a companion because he's dead. Kind of hard to be a companion when you're dead. :ferret:
  11. Amazons no longer exist as a political entity and have folded into the Imperium.
  12. Artifacts/Manpower system added. It will show up when mission selection appears.
  13. Achievements removed: These have been replaced with artifacts/manpower, and story traits.
  14. Ranks system added.
  15. Full stat tree revealed—yes, it is supposed to be that big.
  16. Traits renamed to avoid issues of ambiguity. KISS is love, KISS is life.
  17. Traits converted to stats in a master-slave system: 1 main stat, 5 sub-skills. Skills feed into the stat. This simplifies dice rolls, and broadens what you can do with said stats. So I win, and you win. Everybody wins!
  18. Changed from a D20 to a D100 system, to better conform with the sister-system in Colony Galileo. Yes @Kadaeux you can start bragging about the D100 master race.
  19. Stat system now runs from 0-100.
  20. giphy.gif
  21. OOC Action Logs abandoned. A useful tool, now simply overwhelmed by information overload. Instead, you can now simply read the IC posts and ask me questions if you are confused. Farewell, sweet prince. There will be a replacement system in the IC for large-unit combat.
  22. Added lore entries in the new Master Archives section on: Amazons, Angels & Their Situation, Banishment of the Gods, Bloodlines, Creation Myth, Eras (Timeline), Gunpowder/Guns/Grenades, Immortal Legion, Important Places of Note, Kingdom of Dreams, Magic, Magic Immunity, Insignia, Races of LoR 2, Telepaths, Northern & Southern Countries, Underdark, Vampires.
  23. Combined "Endurance Training" & "Adrenaline" into new stat: "Perseverance." New stat prevents tanks from having to split investment between staying in the fight, and... Staying in the fight. There is now one stat that allows you to stay in the fight. :ferret:
  24. Upgraded "Charger" to include non-charging related bonuses. Renamed "Repositioning." Now tanks and heavy fighters can weave through and around combat better to be where they need to be, and not just to hit someone really really hard with a shield. Ceilings can now breath a sigh in relief from Armerza... Maybe.
  25. "Defender", "Heavy Hitter", "Rapid Blows", and "Fortitude" remain as is. Why fix what isn't broken?
  26. "Combat Senses" is the new fourth heavy skill. This allows characters to track multiple targets better and negate the bonuses enemies get when they gang up on them. Useful for duellists, or tanks, or others who will often find themselves the target of multiple enemies. This is not an anti-stupid stat: If you rush headlong for no reason into a horde of tentacles, prepare to get raped regardless. Not the sexy kind either. Think more the "oh god the agonizing pain" kind.
  27. "Slippery" renamed to "Reflexes", as it now gives bonuses to avoiding any kind of damage which can reasonably be evaded—it's the counterpart to "Defender" and "Perseverance", part of the Holy Trinity of defence.
  28. "Stealth" upgraded to "Cloak of Innocence", it gives bonuses to all stealth-related tasks as well as naturally lowering enemy interest in you. Essentially: This stat now makes it so enemies will underestimate you and prefer other targets unless you hurt them. This also gives bonuses to escape odds—which affects the likelihood of enemies switching targets from you to someone else, as well as how likely you are to escape capture if you put your mind to it. A useful skill for mages, supports, assassins, and so on.
  29. "Sharp" effects tweaked a little, clarified. It still does the same thing as before, it's just clearer on that now. Provides bonuses to armour piercing, noticing things out of place, and can sometimes come into play in conversations.
  30. "Acrobatics" replaced with "Dancer". Acrobatics served a purpose, but served it awkwardly enough that most didn't bother with it. Dancer is now the counterpart to Combat Senses in that it gives one on one combat bonuses instead of multi-target bonuses, and reduces penalties for fighting in unusual circumstances rather than reducing the bonuses enemies get for fighting you in groups. Remember that "unusual circumstances" does include height advantages the enemy might have, or fighting while pinned.
  31. "Raw Talent" clarified a bit. It still does the same things as before, but now better describes this: Increased spell power, increased ability to overcharge spells with less negative consequences as a result.
  32. "Apprentice" upgraded to "Mastery." Now includes bonuses for evading spells, dispelling spells, interfering with or stealing spells. This now serves as a defensive stat for mages against other mages or forms of magic.
  33. "Wells of Power" and "Awakened Meditation" combined into a single stat, called "Wells of Power". Detection and regeneration are now the same stat. This serves two purposes: To buff mages, and to make more sense as in-universe the Wells of Power are the primary sources of magic in the world.
  34. "Pattern Weaving" is the new fourth skill for the magic stat. This prevents macross missile massacres by judging how quickly your character can cast spells and gather power for more powerful spells. It also allows them to detonate raw magic—just nowhere near on the same scale as what Amanda the Archmage did to blow away the old Imperium. Because that would be obscenely broken. :ferret:
  35. No more combat-useless stats. All stats now have a combat purpose, which better fits the war theme. However, non-combat utility for such stats is still relevant. Heavy hitters can break things and stealth people can pickpocket casually and sharp people can notice things in conversation. Which will hopefully mean that people will stop spamming dodge as their one and only defence stat and consider alternatives. Hooray! (Probably not though.)
  36. Stats are now specifically related to non-combat tasks. (The "Heavy", "Light", and "Magic" stats are all almost entirely utilitarian and social stats. The skills underneath them are combat-focused, though can be used out of combat as well.)
  37. Old Guard party characters can be unlocked for play for their original owners depending on mission conditions or requests, such as manpower. Xixis Madheart (@Kadaeux ), Dean (@Orion ), and so on. Whilst already in play under certain circumstances (Dean in Renalta, Alex in Amazons), this is mainly to state to the Old Guard that if their characters are called upon in the future, they'll get to control them themselves—especially in missions. If the character is a political leader, there may still be instances where I have to exert some level of control should a collaboration be impossible to finish on time.
  38. Updated Legend of Renalta 2's map to the current political landscape. It's only a visual representation, to help you figure out what things are like in this world. It's also only a map of the overworld—because the Underdark is an ever changing labyrinth that cannot be mapped by conventional means.
  39. Players who fail to post, whose characters have been given orders, will have those characters do as ordered. A player failing to post should no longer fuck over other players, so long as they're given orders. Ex: If Kestrel fails to post for Esyllt, but Kasim has given her orders, Esyllt will be assumed to have executed those orders so long as they're reasonable and don't call for suicide.
  40. Q&A section redone from scratch and expanded. You can find it in the Ancillary section.
  41. There is now a separate tab to keep track of character information.
  42. It's 85 pages at 43,247 words in the dev document. Just a random factoid I felt like sharing. :ferret:

Impact on Players

This update is the single largest update I've ever given to any RP, hands down. Since I've updated the traits system to be cleaner and easier to understand the consequences of using, this now includes stats. Some old trait trees you were pursuing may no longer exist, or may have been merged with others, and new stat trees will have taken their place. The character sheet is now bigger, and this may be understandably intimidating. However, I can assure you: You needn't make any changes to your biography, appearance, or other creative text of this nature. You should only need to change your stats & traits. Most custom traits should be able to port over to the new system cleanly, without much in the way of adjustment, though you're free to change them as desired.

You are now free to completely rework your character. I don't care if it might retcon older, obscure scenes: I'm giving as much freedom to y'all as I can. Besides, I know some of you have built your characters badly. Take this as your one get out of jail free card without having to reroll a completely new character.

We can fit up to five more players atop what we have. Ish. We'll see based on what's coming. All the double-up spots are available as well.

Players will have upwards of two months (ish) to work on characters. The sooner they're done though, the better. :ferret:

Dean's entry will be added when @Orion is finished with it. Player Actions will be added when the missions are all wrapped up.

Story traits will be distributed along with ranks when old characters are retrofitted to the new system. So Aslo gets to keep his rat bag, achievements that actually did anything and had physical value won't be lost.

As always, if there's any questions, comments, suggestions, and so on, please tell me. I would like to know!

Now to go ping a bunch of people who expressed interest in joining or rejoining as the case may be.

@Chrononaut @Rain of the Night @Seba @Slade @Arcadia Lumina @Deuce

• Useful
Reactions: Slade and K3l
Still here, still interested, completely reworking character(s)!

I'm afraid I'm focusing on my own fantasy realm, so joining now is currently a no, apologies.

Bios added for the following new companions: Dirge Tyrven
Zin died, but my main goal for the Renalta mission was accomplished. I call that a worthy trade.
Eric is no longer a companion because he's dead. Kind of hard to be a companion when you're dead. :ferret:
RIP ;_;

Name: Katinka (Tinka) Nivi
Race: Nivi (see below)
Sex: Female
Appearance:
Katinka stands approximately six foot even. Her hair is often put into two small braids at the side of her face then gathered with the rest into a ponytail. Her nails are kept short and neat, an easily visible sign of her meticulous grooming habits. While she tries to portray herself as reputable in her body, her clothing is less capable. Tinka wears what she finds to be the most practical for study and medicine, which often means a simple gown with no decor besides pockets, which often hold either an assortment of sweets and trinkets or scraps of notes and charcoal pencils. Needless to say, many don't ask for the gowns back. As for shoes, Tinka never got used to anything aside from soft skin boots with insulated interiors that go to her knees. They keep her feet warm and dry, but still close to the earth so that she can keep her balance. Hard-soled shoes only lead to her tripping over herself and clunking down hallways.
Homeland: Beyond the Vale/Free Holds
Katinka was born into a nomadic tribe which specialized in the arcane arts in relation to molding the cold to their desires. They were a very slow moving group, and often kept within eyesight of the barrier. The barrier was revered by them and given offerings at every solstice in hopes that they would attract the infrequent travelers who managed to cross it. The tribe would take them in for up to a week and try to learn everything they could from them. Stories of lands which the Nivi would never encounter enthralled young and old alike, and the oldest in the tribe would keep a mental record every account. Soon Katinka was brought under the elder's wing and began to learn the stories from the previous years. While the harsh winters of her land meant her people could not always be at the barrier, it seemed vagabonds still would stumble upon them throughout the year. She would talk with the travelers her tribe sheltered and learn of their distant lands and magics. Some of them taught her new, and perhaps better, ways to heal her people from the effects of the cold, unfortunate hunting trips, and fevers both with plants she had never seen before and with magical arts previously unknown or lost to her people.

Eventually she became too enamored with what lay beyond the barrier, spending her days in front of it. Her Ceremony Day was a month away, making it the dead of winter, when she got too close to the barrier this time. There had been no visitors for the past two weeks and she allowed her curiosity to get the best of her. Tinka took it upon herself to find her own group of travelers to bring to her tribe in hopes of learning more from them. Fate was with her that day, for good or harm, and she was able to cross without thought or care. While she had been told of the heat which laid on this side, she had never experienced it quite like this. The furs that kept her alive in her homelands near led to her death the first day she ventured out, though they proved to keep her safe during the night when she discovered she could not cross back.

Panic set in and encompassed her being. She wandered up and down the barrier for days, her tribe finding her after the second and separated from her by millimeters. Eventually her hunger and thirst called out to her too heavily and Katinka was forced to leave the barrier in search of sustenance. After this it didn't take long for her to come across travelers she had been so desperately seeking before. These men were far different than those who had become her cherished guests, however. Recognizing her as a being they had never seen before, the group was quick to take her and lash her to the back of the caravan to hold until the came to a Free Hold. While she was kept from starving or dying of thirst, Katinka felt something wither within her from being so far from home. One day she made the mistake of sucking what moisture existed in the air and form one of the icicles which she had been named for. Her captors recognized that the prize they had been carrying just increased in price and they were quick to pawn her off to the highest bidder once she was forced to demonstrate her abilities in front of a crowd of such mixed races and even species. In the end she was bought by the Ringleader of a traveling circus.

Life with the circus was unlike anything Katinka could have dreamt of. She was paraded as an exotic beauty from far beyond these lands, never before seen by mortal eyes. Almost every evening she would be cut by the man who juggled knives and shown to not bleed like "regular kind" do. Snow flurries would dance among the crowds as she was tossed from trapeze to trapeze. The snow would follow her, and the act would end with her tumbling into a pile of powder snow that would mostly break her fall. After each performance she was allowed to wander amongst the circus and do as she wished, so long as she didn't try to run. Tinka heard wondrous stories of a far off land called Renalta, which had formed not a month before she crossed the barrier. Tales of how unique it was in terms of people permitted to live within its borders and the knowledge and trade that poured into it. She began to save up change she would earn by performing outside of her usual show. In the process she earned the scar over her eye, though whenever it's brought up she shies away from the question and finds something else to talk about. She learned to read, write, and speak Common along the way, as well as pick up a few other languages, though the vast majority were only to the point of being conversational at best.

Before she could buy her own freedom, a stranger from the south arrived and paid off her debt from living with the circus in full. The stranger was a ruddy-haired human male, Gerald, who had heard of a new race being discovered in the Free Holds. It had taken him a few years to make his way out there, but once he did he was quick to free the unique beauty and begin studying her as they travelled together back towards Renalta. They departed from Ravenhold and made their way south as quickly as Tinka and Gerald's curiosities allowed. Along they way the learned much about their surroundings, as well about each other. Despite Gerald being largely an intellectual, he was not incapable of defending himself as he needed to survive the trip to and from the Free Holds one way or another, and he shared this with Tinka while she tried to explain some of her magic to him.

While it took them months to travel they received no news of the world aside from what Gerald managed to pick up at inns and bars in the evenings they could spend in towns and not on the road. Despite this, Gerald was always insistent on finding one way or another to send reports of his findings back to his fellow researchers in Renalta. Once they finally did reach the border, they were greeted by the King's Rangers who had by now also heard tale of Katinka and her individual abilities. Forced by her desire to help the heroes Gerald had been telling her about for months, Tinka agreed to part ways with her newest and closest friend and went with the Rangers to the capital to join the Queen's Blades. Once she arrived in the city of Renalta she threw herself in learning to control her magical abilities better and focus them into skills that she would be proud to use to held the (now her fellows) Queen's Blades. She also happened to adopt a wolf cub to keep her company during her studies and distract her from trying to find those she had heard about on her journey and disturbing them. His name is Torgen and he is adorable. When she is away he will stay with Gerald
She lived Beyond the Vale, got taken by a circus, got freed from the circus, traveled to Renalta, and got picked up by the King's Rangers. She's very curious and loves to learn any and everything.

Motivation: To heal and defend (if needed) the heroes that protect the greatest wealth of knowledge that Katinka has ever heard of, while pursuing her own education at the same time.

Heavy Stat: 0
  • Perseverance: 0.
  • Defender: 0.
  • Heavy Hitter: 0.
  • Combat Senses: 0
  • Repositioning: 0.
Light Stat: 10
  • Reflexes: 20
  • Cloak of Innocence: 80
  • Rapid Blows: 0.
  • Sharp: 0
  • Dancer: 0
Magic Stat: 30
  • Raw Talent: 70
  • Mastery: 70
  • Wells of Power: 70
  • Pattern Weaving: 70
  • Fortitude: 20

Custom Traits:
Healing Gaze: Not only can Tinka heal those she can touch, she can also heal those that are across the campfire, or even still in battle. (Improves ranged magic)
A Taste of Their Own Medicine: If Tinka can react quickly enough she can redirect an attack meant for an ally or herself to the assailant. (Tinka has a chance to negate damage intended for an ally and direct it towards the original caster/attacker)​
Pull Yourself Together: After an especially damaging blow Tinka can give her allies enough strength to continue on through the battle if they would otherwise be disabled or otherwise incapable of fighting. (Once per encounter Tinka can keep someone from falling unconscious)​
Fortuitous Fortitude: Having learned that not all the people she cares for can be healed with magic, Tinka has also invested time throughout her life to knowing how to heal with herbs, silk, needles, and so forth. (Medicine buff)
An Eye for Blood: After having to repair anything from burns to cuts to dislocations to disintegration to broken bones and so on, Tinka is better at identifying what went wrong, why, and the quickest way to fix it. Of course… this also means she theoretically knows how to cause it as well. (Medicine buff)​
Regrowth: With enough concentration, time, and energy, Tinka can repair injuries from long ago such as restoring sight, hearing, limbs, and so on. (Long term restoration)
Regrowth II: It takes less time for aforementioned wounds and conditions to be restored/repaired, including that which was magically inflicted. (Long term restoration buff)​
World Weary: Having survived culture shock from going from uncharted lands to a roaming circus and then traveling from the northernmost part of the known world to the southernmost, one can confidently say that Tinka is rather adept at recognizing and then adjusting to new cultures and the likes. (Advantage to interacting with foreign people in their own lands and discerning proper/respectful behaviors)
The Road Less Travelled: Even when travelling on rough terrain Tinka feels comfortable. She is also vaguely familiar with the creatures that may roam the areas and how to keep an eye (and ear) out for them. Just don't ask her to fight them unless you want to watch her get torn to pieces. (Advantage on travelling off-road and keeping watch)​
One for the Money, Two for the Show: After years of performing at a circus, Tinka is adept at creating illusions and more aesthetic than purposeful magic. She can create small snow "creatures" almost out of thin air and create shapes in snow flurries in an attempt to dazzle or distract enemies. Or entertain children. She likes doing that too. (Bonus to using cold magic to distract or impress others)

Story Traits: :(

Equipment List:
  • Healing Pack - general materials needed to heal someone without the use of magic.
  • Mage's Robes - Provided by the Queen's Blades for travelling. She also sometimes walks around in them for the sake of extra pockets, trying to get used to them, and they're so damn fun and flowy.
  • Dagger
  • Flint and Steel and Fire Starter
  • A small, never-melting piece of ice that is shaped into a snow owl. A gift from her parents at her birth. She believes that so long as it stays solid her mother and father are still alive. She could be very wrong.
  • Pencils and paper
  • Multi-Colored Candies
  • Torgen! But only at home.
  • At least one book
  • Travelling Journal

Romance: Fuck yeah.
Does the Kouri Plushie Exist?: Yes.
Signature: Say my name say my name... Seba
Dialogue Color: This one! #36C

Name: Colloquially called Ice or Snow Elves, but self-identify as Nivi(nih-wee)
Defining Characteristics: They are a lithe race, the males and females being slender while the former averages out at six foot six inches and the latter at five foot eight. Despite their height, they are an incredibly light race that is regularly able to walk on top of snow and ice while making minimal marks of their presence, and as Tinka found out, sand. In the majority they have shock white hair and light colored eyes, though the spectrum ranges from gray to blue to green to an occasional lavender or pink. The last two colors are rare and often present in smaller Nivi that have a special touch with the magical arts.
Average Lifespan: Most will live to seventy-five or ninety years as the harsh winters tend to lead to the death of many Nivi. Said winters occur approximately every seventy to eighty years and last for fourteen moons.
Age of Maturity: Approximately sixteen. Fertility begins just before then and doesn't appear to end until a female's two hundredth year, though this is namely through legends. No true evidence exists.
Magical Abilities: All Nivi are graced with control over the cold to one degree or another. Some can only manage to move snow to make patterns or to throw snowballs without their hands, while others have found ways to slow a man's heartbeat and keep them from bleeding out as quickly, or lower a deadly fever. A myth has been passed through the generations that a Nivi by the name of Thom was able to lift an entire clearing's worth of snow and ice then shape it into a dome for his tribe to weather a long winter in. It would not melt in the sun or by cooking fires. Some Nivi have gone in search of it, but none have returned successfully, if at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I bring Mars back? I'd be fine if that means getting rid of Sonia.

If we're claiming second-character slots, I'd like to get my grubby mitts on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.