Lantern, SPIRIT! (Dark Fantasy, Action-Adventure RP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gossamer

Original poster
kK6ir81.png

A Dark Fantasy, Action-Adventure Interest Check

Where am I?

Only darkness surrounds you. The only sound is that of eternal silence. You feel your legs continually place one foot in front of the other taking step after step without interruption. Your arms sway gently from side to side, yet you are not in control. Not a bone in your body bends to your will as your being continues forward into nothingness.
Who am I?

Desperately you search your memories hoping to recollect the bizarre scenario which brought your being to such a desolate place, but draw blanks at every corner. Where you are from, where you live, your friends and family, your protectors and caregivers, even your own name. Absolutely nothing comes to mind.
How long have I been here?

Has it been days? Years? Decades? Are loved ones weeping in your absence, or have you no one to call a friend? Has your boss hired a replacement, or do you simply wander the streets without responsibility?
Where am I going?

Your gaze is pulled towards the far end of the darkness that surrounds you, landing upon a warm, welcoming and gentle blue light in the distance. Suddenly you feel your muscles tense, your eyes rigidly place themselves on the light at the end of the darkness. Every bone in your body yearns to embrace its presence.
Unable to resist, you go towards the light.

YXV29v0.jpg

Your arms sway from side to side with each step. Your expression is blank and lifeless. The sound of your footsteps can be heard below, but there is no conceivable floor beneath you. Soon, the strikingly bright light comes within view, gradually illuminating the darkness as you progress forward.

Your eyes remain planted on its source. Gently, a lantern swings from side to side, dangling from the branch of a lonesome tree sprouting from the blackness beneath it. Although the light is blinding in contrast to the darkness surrounding it, your gaze remains fixed on the source. You find comfort when staring into the lanterns light, however, the reason why remains a mystery.

Eventually you find yourself before the lonesome tree. Planting your feet, you tilt your head back, gazing upon the lantern dangling from the branch. The branch itself is twisted in an odd, peculiar shape, contorting outwards, its tip pointed towards the ground. The lantern hangs in an awkward position, and continues to sway back and forth, its metal hinges creaking as it does so. Fortunately, it was just low enough for you to reach out and grasp its handle.

However, upon reaching out, your hand proceeds not for the handle, but the lantern itself.

As your hand inches towards the glass panes, the light within begins to brighten frantically. Your fingers are mere inches from the lantern. The moment you graze its exterior, the light shines an excruciating white, rendering you blind.

You are thrown into a state of disorientation. All you can see is white. During this blindness, memories begin to resurface. Familiar faces, voices, and locations flood your mind relentlessly. They all appear distorted, and blurred. The names of the faces escape you. Any attempt to recollect even the most faint details from the past is futile.

The lanterns light begins to fade.

Your eyelids relax, and slowly begin to open.
UXCzqJF.jpg

You awake lying on the ground, your back pressed against the vibrantly blue glass that surrounded you for miles upon miles. The color blue glowed everywhere upon everything, the source of the light stemming directly from a lantern dangling off of a tree branch above, the very same lantern that rendered you blind just moments ago.

Or was that days ago? Weeks? It all almost felt like a dream. Fireflies surrounded your body, and upon following their trails you turn your head to see dozens of strangers lying on the ground around you. Slowly, everyone began to stand. Confusion began to settle in as everyone made an attempt to converse, trying to figure out just what on earth was going on, only to realize nobody knew a single thing about themselves or each other.

There was an extent to the ever blue light glowing from above. Everyone stood just beneath the lantern within its circle of light. Everything beyond the circles borders remained pitch black, one could hardly make out the trees that stretched for miles upon miles within these foreign woods. Fireflies continued whizzing back and forth within the circle. A few ventured out into the darkness, only to be swallowed whole by a gaping mouth nearly appearing out of thin air.
VviU3KM.jpg

Suddenly, at least fifty pairs of bright white eyes open within the darkness, just inches beyond the edge of the lanterns light. Up until that point everyone had remained oblivious to the presence of the creatures hiding in the dark, but now they were all quite aware. Some screamed at the sight, others remained quietly shocked. Everyone crowded themselves just beneath the lantern, as far from the edge of the light as possible.

One of the creatures went rogue, and began stepping into the light. It's pitch black flesh made a hissing noise as its skin began to burn incessantly. Its arms and legs convulsed and contorted in agony with each step, the lantern doing well to hinder the creatures movements.

Horrified, everyone began to huddle together as tight as possible, watching as the monster fell to the floor and began crawling towards the crowd. It was about five yards away from the closest person before disintegrating into nothing more than a pile of black dust that would soon be blowed away by a gentle breeze.

And then, without warning, a blood-curdling groan ruptured the stillness of the woods, causing the ground below everyone to reverberate, which sent a few shaky-legged souls to the floor. The lantern itself seemed to react to the horrific shriek, it glowed brighter than ever before, exposing some of the surrounding creatures whilst burning them to a slight crisp.
gCNW2Hb.jpg

A being at least six meters tall begins rising from the darkness beneath it. A creaking sound could be heard as it did so, as if the creature were made of century old wood that moaned with every movement. Every step the being made was like thunder rumbling in the sky. Slowly, the tall-as-a-tree creature began to take step after thunderous step towards the lanterns glow. Gasps and shouts echoed from within the crowd of people beneath the lantern. Everyone seemed to have the same idea; stay with the light.

That was, until the lantern inexplicably went dark. Another blood-curdling shriek sent trembles up everyones spines. As you stand woefully vulnerable before the very stuff of nightmares, an idea pops into mind, one that everyone silently agrees must be the best option at this moment in time;

Run.

VEPQ2Om.png

Premise:

Booya! Hi there, you can call me Goss or Gossamer or dog breath or spaghetti monster or whatever. This is essentially a Dark Fantasy RP brought to you by yours truly. :-)

This RP will be heavily character driven with just a hint of gore, so expect some mature content. We are also pro-death here! Meaning there will be a lot of death and dying and your character just might be participating. But don't worry, there will be plenty of comedy relief to balance out the sound of your character dying and stuff. Not to mention the fact we'll be accepting a large amount of players from the beginning, which will increase your chance for survival! You can't all be eaten alive, right?

Character Death/Karma System:

Lucky for you, I'm not going to be running around killing off characters left and right. You bunch of lucky grapes. Instead, I will be relying on a simple karma system to determine who lives and who's for dinner. The course of the RP will be relatively character driven, meaning your characters actions will determine the outcome of some things, where as other things will remain sadly inevitable. Every variable will be accounted for, from interacting with the environment to risky behavior. Please keep in mind, every character is subject to death, no exceptions.

What is Lantern, SPIRIT?:

So a majority of the RP's plot is still in the works. I don't want to give too much away which is a bit difficult since nothing is concrete. Here's all you need to know for now:

Your character awakens in a dense, dark and unfamiliar forest. They begin with no recollection of the past or their identity, unaware of even their own name. Pretty much all your character knows is its dark, theres strange monsters everywhere, their weakness is the lantern, and a creature taller than an oak tree is hunting everyone down trying to eat them alive or something.

gL3RPi8.jpg

His name is Kibi, by the way, and you'll be spending a majority of the RP playing hide-and-seek with this lovable demon or monster or skeleton or whatever he might actually be.

As the plot progresses, your characters memories will return with time and will be an essential, integrative part of the story itself. Yes, eventually your character will start kicking some monster butt and yes, there is totally magic involved, but its limited. There won't be any fireballs or blizzards or stuff like that, just some basic staffs that shoot light and junk.

It's important that you work with your character in detail. Their backgrounds and personalities will affect the very course of the RP itself.

Expectations:

Dedicated, creative players who are willing to collaborate, drive the plot forward and are here for the long haul. Believe me, I understand how hectic the real world gets. All I ask is that you leave a heads up if you can't post, if you're going to be out for a while, or if you intend to drop entirely. I'll find something to occupy your character in the meantime, or take the reins myself. As far as posting goes, a few posts a week would be ideal, at least 3-4 paragraphs long. Quality over quantity, of course.

As far as rules and junk goes, just know all I'm trying to do here is create a fun, interactive fantasy role-play for the lot of us to enjoy together until the very end, and if you get in the way of that I'll be sure to feed Kibi your soul, no hesitation!

wow thanks for reading all this crap:

seriously. I'm looking for 8 solid players. This will not be first come first serve. At least three of you won't be making it past the first chapter, truly sorry about that. Keep in mind I'm looking for detailed, realistic characters with a lifetime of memories good and bad.

Oh, by the way, you have to include your characters death scene in your sheet! Yup, that's right, everyone of your characters is actually already dead and are currently transcending to the after life! Woohoo! Basically, the whole foundation of this role-play draws influence from anime's Spirited Away and Angel Beats! So yeah, this RP takes place in the spirit world, and Kibi is basically the grim reaper/ruler of the afterlife, running around sending people to the great beyond. Your characters, however, are completely oblivious to this fact, and that will remain so until some point within the RP itself.

Oh, and for good measure lets go ahead and throw a Life Wish into the mix. A goal or set of goals that revolves around every aspect of your character, something they hope to achieve before kicking the bucket.

Characters:

h1fbUyz.jpg

Name: McKaela "Mickey" Hopkins
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 115lbs.
Personality: WIP
Biography: WIP
Life Wish: WIP
Death Scene: WIP

Character Sheet:

Picture:
Name:
Height:
Weight:
Personality:
Biography:
Life Wish:
Death Scene:

EDIT - Jan 23rd int. check

Isomia.n said:
Would you like us to provide a completed character sheet now or when the OOC thread is up and running?

The OOC will be up and running as soon as enough characters have been accepted and all the kinks have been worked out, so now would be the best time to write up a character and get them posted asap, pretty please.

Camleen said:
what Era would our characters originally be from?

Oops, I forgot to mention this. Thanks for bringing it up!

Everyone's characters would have died at some point throughout the year 2012.

Scath said:
Is there a time frame/deadline for character sheets?
I'm hoping this won't take more than a week, maybe sooner. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Last question, is there a preferred picture medium? Real life, anime, art/drawing ect.?
Preferably something along the lines of art/drawing, cartoon, anime and what not. Please avoid real life face claims as I'm hoping to keep everyones characters relatively uniform in terms of appearance.

EDIT - Jan 24 int. check
Question in regards to their appearance, do they appear like they have died? Mainly asking because my character might have his/her head shaved because something something hospital stay but I'd prefer him/her not to run around bald (x.
Oh, I believe @Camleen asked a question like that last night, but I was a sleepy bird so I didn't get around to answering it. My bad.

As fun as it would be to have a baldy in the group, that won't be the case. Everyone will appear to be in radiant health, and will be wearing whatever clothes they perished in, free from any rips or tears that may have occurred however they kicked the bucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like a spot in think!

Reactions: Gossamer
Interested! Would you like us to provide a completed character sheet now or when the OOC thread is up and running?

clouds_moon.png

large.png

divider.png

Adrian Liebert
divider.png

{AH-dree-ahn} {Lay-bert}

Appears to be in his late teens or early 20s'

Height
189 cm (6' 2½")

Weight
77 kg (170 lbs)

Personality
Enigmatic but expressive, Adrian is a curious sort of person who somehow manages to both have a lax demeanor and a fierce inner drive. The latter is evident in his prevailing ambitious streak and firm resolve to see things through to the end. But just because he's tenacious doesn't mean he's unreasonable and is often open minded when it comes to others own views and opinions. He owes this resolute patience to his extremely self-reliant disposition that had granted him a strong inner tolerance and an eye for resourcefulness. On occasion it may even lead him to make quick, decisive, but unpredictable decisions. This could drive others to believe that he's at best, daring or at worst, reckless. In truth his greatest strength and most debilitating weakness is in his sense of responsibility. One that constantly pushes him to carry every single burden, concern, and hardship well past his own breaking point.

Biography
This primarily relies on Adrian's view as a young child despite the 3rd party use.
[spoili]
On one bright February morning Adrian Liebert had been born as a healthy baby boy. Around the same time, Leiya Liebert, a twenty-four year old mother had passed away moments after childbirth. Even as years passed and that same baby grew into an exceptional young man, Johan Liebert never lost the dull ache of pain behind his dim blue eyes. Despite this he was not a terrible nor bad father but supported his son as best as he was able. It was the years of fighting depression and especially the pills that had made him so despondent. But there were also moments when the once enthusiastic anthropologist would resurface, whisking Adrian away to ancient civilizations thriving in by-gone eras. His eyes would brighten like two pinpoints of warm light and just for a short, precious moment Adrian could see the vibrant man he once was. Eventually the detached and filmy expression would settle back into place as the moment inevitably passed.

During his sixth birthday Adrian discovered a trick to keep that light burning just a little bit longer and just a little bit brighter than it normally would. It had been on that day that he had received a little electronic keyboard from his Uncle Tom. It wasn't anything impressive and it looked to be a second hand toy made for a toddler. But the moment he had brought the present out a tension hung in the air that even his young, naive mind could feel. It wouldn't be until a couple years later would he learn that it had been his mother's who had eventually grown up to favor the instrument itself. And if she would have been alive it would've been her giving him her precious childhood memento.

The first ever song he learned to play on it was of course 'Happy Birthday', following the little colorful symbols on the surprisingly intact music book that had come with it. After stumbling his way through a couple of notes and coming to an admittedly rough end he had looked up to see the beaming smile of his dad before he found himself being scooped up into a tight hug. From that day on he would play a song almost everyday, even going as far as to remember each note by heart until he played by memory alone. He could still remember the day had been called into the foyer. Upon arriving Adrian could hardly believe his eyes as he looked in awe at the beautiful grand piano sitting beside the fireplace. Once he had the found room slightly odd, as if it was too empty or lacking in a way and it was then that he knew why.

The piano had once belonged to his mother and the reason why he had never seen it was due to his father's attempt at rehabilitation. Or more appropriately his psychiatrist advice to put any items that would trigger his depression far from his line of sight. It had worked for a time but ultimately it hadn't stopped his slow and steady decline towards medication. But now...now he just wanted to hear his wife's music again.

For a while he had been content with listening to Adrian play short, simple little melodies that the eight year old had surprisingly made up himself. Eventually however Johan had gotten his son a tutor; a severe Austrian women who Adrian disliked immensely. But for all his pleading and insistence for another mentor it had all fallen on deaf ears. One that sternly responded that he deserved the best teacher and shouldn't be questioning his father's decisions. After that he had quietly endured the difficult lessons and equally difficult teacher. The reward however was worth it as each, perfect song he played pulled a smile that lit up his father's entire demeanor. In the same year he began entering Youth Piano Competitions and with his dad present to every event he (and his mentor) made sure that he would win.

He continued to compete later into his life until putting up the proverbial gloves after achieving four consecutive gold medals in the Cincinnati World Piano Competitions. During the last few months of his life Adrian had been experiencing concerning and odd cases that all pointed to a possible stalker. Unconcerned and busy with his career as a professional pianist and part-time tutor, he didn't pay it much mind after filing a single report to the local police station.
[/spoili]

Life Wish
To play the piano.

Death Scene
[BCOLOR=transparent]Adrian's death had been no short of disturbing. Found cold and rigid in an abandoned warehouse it was through a thorough and approximately two month investigation until the truth of his death surfaced. Beginning with the most suspicious and prevalent evidence that came from his claim of multiple cases of harassment. The following include strange letters of admiration that he had initially thought was a from a passionate fan. But it was when the messages began to become obsessive had he come to realize otherwise. Then there were the missing miscellaneous objects from his own home. Items including socks, toothbrushes, and even deodorant but no apparent jewelry or anything of much value was taken. The day he had reported all of his claims had also been when he had found the window of his bedroom door open and his bedsheets excessively rumpled with an unknown odor permitting from them. Unfortunately the sheets and mattress had since been sterilized and could not provide any genetic evidence.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Upon searching through his home a letter was found on his nightstand. It had been written crudely, most likely by the non-dominant hand of the perpetrator. Written on it were instructions to meet at the warehouse where the body had been found and a short message stating that one of Adrian's students would be waiting for him. No body nor any known pupils he taught had ever went missing however. The detective had eventually ruled it as a ruse to lure the young man out alone where he had been captured, forcefully drugged, and subsequently overdosed. The murderer has yet to be found but investigation is still underway.[/BCOLOR]

Leiya's Lullaby ♪ - Performed & composed by Adrian Liebert

Actual Title and Composer: Shelter - Porter Robinson & Madeon - Performed by: Leizel Banci

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Gossamer and Dip
@Camleen @Isomia.n

Welcome! Thank you for the interest!

Interested! Would you like us to provide a completed character sheet now or when the OOC thread is up and running?

The OOC will be up and running as soon as enough characters have been accepted and all the kinks have been worked out, so now would be the best time to write up a character and get them posted asap, pretty please.

• Love
  • Thank You
Reactions: Dip and Isomia.n
Bᴇʀɴᴀᴅᴏᴛᴛᴇ
" B ɪ ᴄ ᴇ "
Pʀᴏᴠᴇᴛᴛᴀ

A26340[/COLOR]; border-radius: 100%;"]

ᴀɢᴇ
ʜᴇɪɢʜᴛ
5'3"
ᴡᴇɪɢʜᴛ
135lbs
ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴᴀʟɪᴛʏ
Bernadotte is the kind of little lady you'd find unsuspectingly gazing at you from afar as she works, possibly to plot your doom, or because she finds something about you interesting. She is cold, calm, and relaxed-- like a crooked lawyer, or someone who knows they have an in with the deen. Bice is more of an observer, watching with large owlish eyes as the crowd moves onward and onward, but that doesn't mean she doesn't take life by the balls every now and then! While she is, for the most part, entirely relaxed, there are times when her emotions reach dangerously high peaks. It takes a lot to work her up to that point, but once she's high, there's no more low for her.
ʙɪᴏɢʀᴀᴘʜʏ
Born to two simple parents, Bernadotte lived a simple life. She lived with simple pleasures, and took those pleasures to grand places. While she did manage to come from a normal family, the child at a young age took to some rather 'odd' behaviors. She dabbled quite a bit in the forbidden arts and magics of all kind, finding herself more and more.
She spent her youth inside the woods near her own house that was rumored to be a popular sight for murderers. She, however, never bothered with those silly stories, and spent many hours of her day walking amongst the forest and being by herself. It was this that sparked a passion within her: Botany, and anything to do with plants.
Bernadotte attended the small community college within her home town, and worked towards her goal of achieving an associates degree in plant-based Biology. Well, she did, atleast, until she took one too many walks in the woods.
ʟɪꜰᴇ ᴡɪsʜ
Live life to the fullest.
ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ sᴄᴇɴᴇ
Always take care when walking by your lonesome, lest you meet those h u n t e r s in the wood. They look beautiful at first, like strangers in a strange new place, but then you s e e.

Their hands, too RED.

Their knives, too BLOODIED.

Their garb, too CIVILIAN.

Their game, far too human for an ANIMAL.

And you hear their cursed garbled words spoken in sing-song voices. They accuse you of hiding, watching,
p l o t t i n g against them. They leave you to no witness.

Like a parody of the hunt. Or a bad case of wrong place, wrong time.

It's really such a terrible thing to know.

Last edited:
I'll work on character tonight when I get home from work. Maybe you said this and I miss seeing it.. what Era would our characters originally be from?

• Useful
This seems pretty interesting so far! Can't wait to see how well this goes!

I'll work on character tonight when I get home from work. Maybe you said this and I miss seeing it.. what Era would our characters originally be from?
Oops, I forgot to mention this. Thanks for bringing it up!

Everyone's characters would have died at some point throughout the year 2012.

• Useful
Reactions: mango and Dip
*Raises hand* I would like to take part! I've not done a dark toned rp before though...but I do learn quickly! I'll work on getting a character together this evening. Is there a time frame/deadline for character sheets?

*hums* I can get a character done in a week, I ought to be able to anyways...if life doesn't throw anymore fast balls and curveballs, and fumbles...

Last question, is there a preferred picture medium? Real life, anime, art/drawing ect.?

• Useful
Kingdom Death?

Might be interested in tossing something up.

• Bucket of Rainbows
This isbrilliant. Will stay tuned & work on a sheet when I have the time. (:

• Thank You
So far all i have off the top of my head..
Ill want to play a female i think. A cop.. maybe military.. maybe a bounty hunter... or or a singer/idol... what sounds good to you guys?

• Love
i think im gonna keep it simple, personally, and have my character be a female college student who just experienced an untimely death.

乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ

military or a cop seems really cool! i think you should go for it. i haven't really seen a military trope played out in this kind of setting before. it'd be neat to see a hardened militant get all panicky at the sight of the unknown!

@Camleen @Isomia.n

Welcome! Thank you for the interest!

Will do and thanks for the heads up.

Hey @Dip @ERode nice to see you guys ^^

Ill want to play a female i think. A cop.. maybe military.. maybe a bounty hunter... or or a singer/idol... what sounds good to you guys?
I have to agree with Dip on this one, military sounds cool as well as the singer/idol one.

I'm tentatively planning a history student (female) with a unique nightlife...pending any other ideas that my brain throws at me. I could use ideas for different causes of death though! Right now it's death by drunk driver....

Hm, everyone seems to be doing a girl, might as well even it out and do a boy, even if I have a general idea of what my girl character would've been like XD

Status
Not open for further replies.