[Jun 21, 2014] Crimvale Keep (Pathfinder) - SIGNUPS CLOSED (Roll20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can seeing this happening. Moral of the story don't make op characters as it spoils it for the rest.

>< its not OP.

Check this out. It is a great read to show how OP the Big Five can be.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Big_Five_FAQ

A maximized wizard will basically slap the DM anytime he tries to do anything in battle. They have a silver bullet for any situation. The ToB classes are mostly only good at melee, which is exactly what melee classes should be good at. A wizard can do everything, however. Polymorph self or shapechange into some monstrous creature and you're instantly better than any fighter/rogue/monk. Cast invisibility, charge up a fireball, boom, tons of long range damage, AoE in fact. And that's just plain old wizard. Keep throwing other classes in there and you've got a character that can solo any CR appropriate encounter.

I still defend that ToB is a great balance against the big 5.

As for the stance i use, it still only affects enemies at my 10ft range. It's useless at a 5ft range, and it doesn't protect me at all. Basically this is THE ability that makes me a tank. It's what threatens the enemy into wanting to hit me over someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
...except they won't be able to hit you... unless they have polearms... so they will all have to take 5ft steps towards you, which will thus leave them exposed to flanking attacks from the people they were fighting in the first place.

I'm sure it's all legal and tactical and shit, but to ACTUALLY VISUALIZE it is ridiculous. "Oh hey, I'm fighting this Dwarf and I'm just about to kill this Wizard, but THAT FUCKING GUY BEHIND THEM is giving me one hell of a look! So rather than deal with the IMMINENT DEATH before me, I'm gonna shove past and try and take out the guy with the stink-eye. I see nothing wrong with this idea, herpa derp. Also, how the hell did I even NOTICE some random dude pulling a face at me when I'm in the middle of an adrenal life and death situation?! Lololol."

I'm not saying it's not a wondrous melee tactic that mechanically enriches everyone's lives. But the sheer narrative lunacy of portraying my monsters being intimidated by a STARE in the middle of a fight is giving me the arsehole. Most people have to use the Intimidate Skill and it's kind of a big deal when they do. Having an automatic radius that inflicts AUTISM is just silly.

I'm not mad at you. Just mad that the writers of Tome of Magic didn't see anything wrong with publishing such a ridiculous rule.

I laughed so hard reading that.

It's all good, I don't think you're mad at me. If you want, I'll not use that stance. Just say the word and I'll switch it out for something else.

It IS true that a maximized wizard can wreck the DM's day. I intend to eventually go for Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil - a DANGEROUS prestige class. However... we also can't wear armor, and we have this piddly little d4 hit die. That's sort of why I chose it, actually - a Cleric can be a far better spellcaster than a wizard ever could thanks to it's higher hit die and it's armor. Thanks to Domains, they can really whip out anything the Wizard can, too.

I just... I like the theme of Wizard. I think it makes more sense for the character. I wanted an intelligent, studious spellcaster. Someone who wanted to dig up a few arcane secrets and loot out of this nasty ol' dungeon. That's also why I chose Abjuration - I want to be alive by the end of it all! Speaking of which, I intend to use Dispel Magic a whooole lot. While the spell's description says it can be targeted on a single spell, and it'd make sense for a character who specializes in it to differentiate between his own spell and an enemy spell, I understand if you want to have it strip everything from a target.

Tome of Battle's... dangerous. In the hands of an experienced, good player, it can take a DM that doesn't know the material well unprepared (sort of like I did with Artificer with my last character). There's nothing really wrong with the classes, it's just the preparation gap. It'd require our DM to read a whooooole lot more into a single class (or series of classes) instead of working on a balanced, awesome game suitable for the powers we're throwing at him.

The Tome of Battle stuff is EXACTLY like wizards - they've got teleports, healing, and all sorts of fun things that really make them the next step from Duskblade or Eldritch Knight (which is sort of how they should be treated). Just thinking about the 'Thicket of Blades' stance (enemies that make a 5ft step still get AoO'd) makes me sort of giggle once the ability to combined stances appear. Which, again, isn't that far from my wizard stacking weird spells on each other.

Yeah?

Reactions: DrPepper
Hi everyone!! (Kenshiro here btw, also known as Joe IRL)

First post on these boards, im super excited!!

But seriously the other night was good fun and a nice length, I'm sure things will speed up once people get macros rolling and Asmo gets used to all the abilites etc. We have a nice party going too, in terms of diversity and characters. Looking foward to more.

P.S Next time, can someone else tank? ^^

Bah - forums and their rules!

Is the next session on Thursday? o_O

goes without saying I won't be there then, what with it being a "school night"

I believe he is considering switching to Saturday.

ALSO, I will try tanking next time ^.^; It is what I'm designed to do, after all...heheh.

Saturday I can do

In hindsight my 50 yard movement speed, combined with my descision to use it all, was probably ill advised....

At one point i was at 3 HP......lesson learnt :P

I posted thin in the conversation, but I have a friend who is interested in joining. He is going to play a Duskblade, so that's another supporty type to help in case you do get into trouble again xD

Reactions: Psykowz
Saturday is on the 24th right...? Unless Asmo made the decision to move it to Sunday?

We are playing this Saturday at 6PM CST.

Link is: https://app.roll20.net/join/183614/mVkdrA

Vent details are:

IP - V08.DARKSTARLLC.COM
Port - 3966
P/W - castle

[MENTION=902]DrPepper[/MENTION] , whatever word it is that I must say, I am saying it. I AM SAAAAAYING IT!!! *god-bolts the fuck out of Iron Guard Glare*

[MENTION=164]Boss Frost[/MENTION] , since there is no ruling about targeting individual spells, I'm gonna rule that Dispel Magic takes away ALL magical effects on a target. I found it a bit strange that Kiyoshi was able to surgically remove the Hold Person spell without affecting the Fly spell.

I'm going to spend more time this encounter being an active, entertaining character who uses basic abilities in creative ways. :D

DrPepper, if you take Thicket of Blades, there will be no challenges left for you in this roleplay.

I want this DMing to be low-stress. I have one to two days out of my work week to plan this adventure, and most of that is taken up by building maps and rolling treasure.

I do not want to spend every week planning a way to shoot you or mind-fuck you in every encounter.

Let the 5ft-step weakness remain. It gives you a CHALLENGE. It makes you depend on others. It makes things interesting and raises the stakes.

If you are a brick wall who can keep everything at arm's length for an entire encounter, then what is the point of playing?

Frost is right. Tome of Battle forces the DM to prepare more shit. But I do not have that time to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.