• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

It's a Dog Eat Dog World: Act 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It's a Dog Eat Dog World: Act 1

(They are two girls)

Montgomery walks over to the closet, opens the door, puts his bag inside it and then closes the door. Then he goes over to the bed and just lays on top of it deep in thought about the girls.

Josie stood up with ideas and plans running through her head. If she was right on her assumptions, knowing the pit territories and which ones favored what, her idea would work and they would end up saving more than one person. That's only if her and Matt can do so without getting caught themselves.

"Hey Matt, I have an idea about som... Matt?" He wasn't in the kitchen... and neither was the wine that he was suppose to pour for her. Looking around she saw that the bottle was empty. "Ah, geez...," she'd forgotten about his feelings about Danny. Slowly, she made her way to the bedroom, hoping he wasn't too upset.

"Matt? Hey, you okay?" She saw that he was packing their gear... which, they would have been doing that anyway. But, he was silent. She wasn't use to his silence at all.

Matthew went through with the clothes that they'd need and then the weapons, his rifle and then other accesories. His mood was down once again and the liquor in his system made him pissed off. He heard Josie's voice ask if he was okay and he stood up. " Does it look like im okay? Yeah im fine just fucking great knowing that im here anad with y-".

He stopped himself realizing he just went off and punched the wall. He walked past her and then out the door and headed for the elevator. Matt didn't know what to do with himself, he was drunk angry, depresed and sad all at once.

Josie didn't follow him...she couldn't. Mad at herself for not letting the situation alone at the time, she finished the rest of the packing, straightened up the room, cleaned the kitchen, packed Danny's files in her bag, anything to avoid crying or running around the building searching for someone who just needed a moment alone. She would never forgive herself for ignoring Matt's feelings. But, she knew that was a side of him she doesn't know about him just yet. As patience as ever, she just let him go hoping he would return safely.

After two hours, Josie was starting to get worried, so much so to where she's felt physically sick. Was Matt okay? Did he stay in the building or go out? She didn't know if she should wake Ace up or call security, or the police... That sandwich two hours ago was flipping in her stomach like a gymnast. She felt tired and worn out with all the emotion and physical work, and stress... The stress in that place was crazy. She couldn't wait until they were out of there. Her and Matt were scavengers - they weren't use to being cooped up in a building with everything at their fingertips. It was nice, but it just wasn't them anymore...

Eventually, Josie left the penthouse and wandered around the building. She went to the training area on the 15th floor, the pool and sauna on 17th, the classrooms on floor 19, and then headed to floor 20 just because she knew there were a large break room and cafeteria there where they would head sometimes after class. The apartments began from the 20th floor up to the penthouse.

She eventually stopped in the breakroom, grabbing a soda from the refrigerated beverage dispenser and sat down for a break. Josie really didn't feel very well and decided she should make her way back to the penthouse, but she had a sudden onset of fever. She felt extremely flushed, like she's been in the sauna all night. She stood up and slowly made her way to the exit, but as soon as she made it to the hallway she collapsed. Her soda can made a loud thud and spit its insides out in a loud fizz.

((Tag Jessica. Meh feel a twist coming on! :ninja:))

( Oooh twist)

Matthew leaned agaisnt the elevator door until it opened and he headed down to the bottom floor. His mind was racing but mostly he was regretting ever yelling at Josie. He knew it wasn't her fault and he was judt drunk and usually kept his true feeling barried deep down and when he drunk they exploded. His hand aked and when he looked down it was bleeding from punching the wall.

After wandering around for a few hours he decided to stop by the breakroom being how he wandered ontp that floor. He walked inside anad then stopped and looked at the person on the ground. Josie. He immeditally ran over and shook her " Josie!? are you okay?". He picked her up and carried her to the elevator onto the middle floor was the medical room. As soon as they saw her they placed her in a room to do observations and see what was wrong. They doctor tol him to wait outside.

(Crap, Jessica's not on. Oh well...))

Josie heard a voice, but didn't respond. She felt so strange and exhausted. This has been such a long day for her, and an even longer night. She just needed to rest, that's all. But again, that voice called out to her, this time she could hear the distress. Blinking, she realized that she was no in the break room anymore. She started to pull herself up, but realize someone was there pushing her back down.

"What's going on?" She looked around and her eyes finally focused on Matt. "Matt? Are you okay... I'm so sorry, I should have been thinking about your feeling, but...I saw her and... just..." she laid her head back on the pillow, feeling really disoriented. "I really don't feel so good."

He allowed the doctors to do their chek up and he kept pacing back and forth blamming himself. If i haden't left then...this is all my fault", He mumbled over and over. His mind was somewhere else and his body was where it stood. He watched as the doctors walked back and forth making him wonder why the chek up was taking so long.

Matt was relived then the doctor finially said he could come in. As he looked down at Josie he was just glad she was okay. As she started to apologize he shook his head. " No its my fault..im just glad your okay". He nodded when she said she was sick. " Mabey it was the samwich?". The doctor came back in and matt looked at her. " So is she okay? what was wrong with her?".

Doctor Hartman look at the two with both a fatherly concern and a congratulatory smile. "Well, since I know you two have been here with us at the ISH for almost two months, then this situation is not a big surprise." He gave Josie a glance, "For you see, Josie's pregnant."

Josie blinked, not sure if she was thrilled or dizzy, excited or down right hallucinating and hearing things. Then she thought about how long they've been there. She's forgotten everything...and didn't recall a certain regular event popping up. She gasped before a huge smile found it place. "Really? You sure... I mean, I've been working so hard..."

"Which is why you need to rest more. You haven't been paying attention to yourself, haven't you?"

Josie nodded, the doctor was right. There wasn't time to. Everything's been the mission, training, and Matt. She looked to Matt, wondering what he felt now. Was he happy like she was, or worried...like she was. They were planning on sneaking out tomorrow...

The room seemed to stop and everything was going into slow motion. He looked at the doctor and blinked a few times and then he looked over at Josie who looked shocked, and happy at the same time. He was at loss of words for a few moments and then he gulped before smiling. " Wow th..thats a supprise". He never noticed Josie being sick, he hadent thought about it.

All of a sudden the thought of being a dad kicked in and he felt his stomach turn. But it wasn't only that but they had planned to leave tommarow and now this...he knew she couldn't leave, it would be too dangerous. " He leaned don and kissed Josie cheek and watched and the doctors left giving them a moment. " Im sorry i should have left the room.. its by fault i haden't notice you being sick, its my fault..i...". He stopped realizing he was breathing heavy. "

"It's not your fault... I didn't realize anything either." Josie cupped Matt's face in hers, "I've been so worried about you... and then all the training and such. I guess tonight, with everything happening to us today..."

She began to giggle, almost crying at the positive side to their negative. "I can't believe it... But, we tried to be careful..." Then, she stopped. The tears still fell, but her face was serious now. "What are we going to do now? We can't stay... I can't stay, and don't you dare try to make me. It's not happening!"

Matthew allowed Josie to cup his face and he kissed her lips and then thought about the fact that. When she said that she was leaving nad to not allow her to stay he sighed. " But your pregnat Josie i dont want to risk your life or the baby's. i....ugh i know you wont listen, fine but..let me take care of things i dont want you stressed out".

The doctor came back and said that Josie needed her rest and he nodded. " Ill hadel things at the room anad ill come get you in the morning. He walked out and headed into the elevator. Once back in the room he finished packing and then layed on the bed setting an alarm. He closed his eyes thinking about alot of things.

Josie nodded, and let Matt take things over from there on out. She listened to the doctor about getting some rest and, except arguing about staying in the hospital room overnight, she just did what she was told.

She was just as concerned as Matt was about their new situation, but she knew she wouldn't be able to stay at that place while he was gone. Anything could happen to him and she wouldn't know anything about it... She'll end up alone with their baby and Danny would still be trapped in that hell hole. She was determined to do whatever she needed to do to keep their baby, and Matt, safe.

But another thought occurred to her. Montgomery was there searching for the twins, which Josie suspected were related to him and he had no clue. They looked just liked him... She would hate for him to be left behind, waiting for the ISH to do what they do before he can search for them. Perhaps, he could come with them... It's always best to travel the territories in groups.

It wouldn't be a bad idea, an extra hand to help with things - especially with the problem of a price on her and Matt's heads; and they can search for all three kids. Something told her that, at least, one of the twins was in the same Pit as Danny. The proof was in the picture....or was that the beginnings of morning sickness?

Josie finally fell asleep, too tired to think, too tired to laugh or cry.

((Okay, this is getting really close to Act 2. I might have to take a few days break to finish all the chapter summaries before we start the second Act. That will give us more time to recruit other interest.))

Montgomery laying on the bed in his room still thinking about the twin girls and closes his eyes and tries to run all the facts he found out about the girls so far through his head again and says to himself. ~"I sure hope I find out something new about the girls soon. Like who they are. I know I was given their photo for some reason."~ He then opens his eyes again a little and sighs as he stares at the ceiling then out the window of his room.

Matthew woke up to the sound of the alarm clock and he rubbed his eyes slowly sitting up to blink a few times letting his eyes get adjusted to the night sky. it was 2:00 in the morning. He yawned still tired but he fought the urge to go back to sleep, intead he crawled out of bed and then headed into the bathroom taking a shower. Once he was done he put on his tim boots and cargo pants with a long sleve rugby shirt and jacket and black benie on his head.

He put his rifel in one of the bags and placed his other bag on his back. Once done he grabbed Josie's two bags and then placed the information Ace had in it . The sooner he left the better. Walking into the living room he made a last minute check up before getting ready to get Josie.

( Okay)

"Okay, you're looking better already." The doctor said, which gave Josie a little relief. He handed her the prescription for nausea and a release form. "Get plenty of rest and take that with lots of water. You'll still have to deal with morning sickness, but it won't be so harsh on your body."

"Thank you, doctor." Josie grabbed her things and prepared to leave the medical floor. She wanted to get to Matt today, and hopefully he would agree for Montgomery to join their little escape plan.

((Okay, let's take things slow for now and get them from the ISH... Of course, it's not going to be easy, which will give us some time for the new participants to join. I will have the rest of the summaries done...this weekend, I hope.))

Atticus inhaled and exhaled deeply through his nose as his eyes moved slowly over the words on the page. He sat alone in the living room of his humble home which was moderately furnished and had a decidedly "homey feel" according to everyone who had ever been a guest within its walls. There was no television or sign of any sort of electronics with the exception of a small wooden radio which sat upon a table holding various frames which held various pictures of various people of whom Atticus had never met. In many ways it reminded Atticus of his grandparent's home where he would visit in the summers as a small boy.

In his left hand he held a small well worn book with a black leather cover and his right held a delicate teacup less than half full and smelling faintly of peppermint. He sat in a comfortable high-backed chair with his right leg crossed casually over his left knee so that his hands rested easily upon his upper leg. The room was nearly silent and dark lit only by a single reading lamp that sat upon the small table to his right which also held the small teacup's matching saucer. The only other sounds beside his own breathing, sipping, and turning of pages, was the rhythmic counter clicking of an antique wooden grandfather clock. It was this uninterrupted silence that drew Atticus to rise each morning before the appearance of the sun and before the greater populace of the Yellows began their daily routines of survival and recovery.

As if on cue, a small red-golden shaft of light appeared through the slightly parted curtains of Atticus' window striking him in the center of his chest. Looking up he could see the color of the world outside changing slowly from black to ever lighter shades of purple. In the solitary beam of light he watched countless flecks of dust dance and swirl seemingly happy to be illuminated and greeted by the faithfulness of the sun's warming presence. "Ah, the sun," he silently contemplated, "Ever faithful despite our own unfaithfulness. What a contrast to the current disheveled and chaotic state in which we now find ourselves." He continued to follow the beam of light to himself where he found it falling on a vest button which hung slightly askew. Setting the cup of tea down on its saucer he frowned through pursed lips as he examined the button's condition. He found its position secure yet in need of some careful attention. He wore one of his favorite suits. It had an unassuming quality though it was well made and sturdy having carried out its intended purpose faithfully and continually well beyond its intended life expectancy. "Kind of like you, old man," he thought to himself with a laugh that consisted of a closed-mouth smile and a series of sharp nasal exhalations. "I shall have to mend you later," he told the button adding a mental line on his day's to-do list.

He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, his chest rising and falling slowly with each sequence. After a few moments he closed the small book in his left hand and returned it to his inner left vest pocket. He stood and adjusted his vest with a careful downward pull at the sides and front. Then he adjusted the double Windsor knot of his tie with a series of back and forth movements until it sat comfortably on his neck and fell properly under his suit vest which finally he smoothed. Reaching down he clicked off the lamp which was quickly becoming unnecessary in the growing light provided by the ascending sun. He picked up the saucer and cup and walked to the kitchen where he washed and rinsed the cup with his fingers before placing the set carefully on the side of the sink. He reached up towards the kitchen window and brought down a small potted single sunflower which he watered before returning it to its place on the sill and turning it so that its petals could drink in the sun's nourishment.

Giving his living room and his front door one last look, he walked to his study at the back of his home. Entering he closed the door and looked around. His study was a windowless wood paneled room of medium size and minimal furnishings. It held a mahogany writing desk which contained various papers neatly organized and covered in his careful flowing cursive script. Its only other furnishings were a small sitting couch, a picture depicting a brick lighthouse withstanding an unimaginably large blue-green ocean wave which crashed and frothed around it, and a two-walled bookcase made of the same dark polished wood as the room's desk. The room itself was lit by a single tall standing lamp situated next to the desk. The bookcase was filled with works of various shapes, sizes, colors, and conditions. Some had expensive looking leather bindings with gold inlaid titles while others contained only fragments of their original bindings. Some were hard-backed while others were soft-backed or spiral-bound and some were merely binders holding various loose pages. As he looked over his books, Atticus felt the familiar and quiet sense of joy that he associated with them. Like the sun, these books, or rather the knowledge they contained, were something he considered to be above the sullying grasp of the fingers of deceitful and faithless men. Of course knowledge had been abused or manipulated throughout history, but true knowledge, once properly given and received, could never be taken or stolen or killed even though one's body be abused or broken.

He walked up to a row of dark leather-bound books and inhaled deeply savoring the scent of their pages with an appreciative smile. He walked toward the corner of the case gently trailing a finger along the various bindings as he went. Five feet from the joined corner of the case and with his finger on the binding of a single volume of what appeared to be an encyclopedic collection, he stopped. Looking straight at the bookcase he spoke softly and meaningfully saying, "Let the little children come unto me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven." A moment after speaking he removed his right index finger from the book's binding. Another moment later a tone chimed from the case's corner followed by the sound of rushing air as if an irritated librarian were suddenly hushing a table of unruly college students. As the "hush" faded, there was the sound of seals separating and the case before him began traveling silently to his right where it was disappearing into the wall against which sat his desk. The case moved six feet to the right revealing behind it a polished stainless steel door which parted in the middle exposing a wood paneled elevator within. Atticus stepped into the elevator and pushed the single button lining the wall which responded by lighting orange at his touch. He looked down at his vest contemplating once again his loose button as the doors of the elevator sealed themselves closed removing Atticus from the sight of his study. As the elevator began to descend behind it, the bookcase dutifully began its journey back to its place of rest. Once its seals had re-inflated, the only sound heard in the home of Atticus Jeremiah was the easy and continuous "click-click" of an antique grandfather clock.

Once Matthew was sure that everything he wanted and needed was in the bags he looked back one last time before walking out the room and walking down to the elevator. He planned on getting Josie and then leaving a soon as possible. As he watched the nubers drop slowly in the elevator he got antsy just waiting and hoping that Josie was ready for this.

It wasn't that he was scared it was that he was worried, especially in Josie's condition it made him have the need to be protective over becuase she was pregnat and they would be in dangerous territory. Walking out the elevaator he spotted Josie and walked over to her kissing her softly and handing her the two light bags. " Are you ready?". He tried to smile but he couldn't.

Josie stood up from her chair in the waiting room when Matt walked in. Taking the bags he offered, she took a deep breath and nodded, "As ready as I'll ever be..." She noticed the look on Matt's face and felt guilty suddenly for causing it. "Matt..." her hand tucked around his arm and pulled him close to her side, "I'm in good hands, remember. We'll be fine."

Stretching her neck, her lips found his. She was so thrilled to be leaving, so giddy about the good news, and so overwhelmed about what stood before them. She knew she would be alright as long as she was with Matt.

They headed towards the elevator and waited for the next available car. That's when Josie remembered what she wanted to ask. "Hey Matt, maybe we should offer Montgomery a spot in our group. It would be a good idea since we're about to return to the territories - travel in numbers, ya know. Besides, we're all going in the same direction..."

She didn't know if this was a good time to bring it up, but it was now or never at this point.

When he felt Josie's hand wrap around his arm his body calmed slightly and he looked down at her. She said that she was ready and he nodded slowly. " I know your in good hands Josie its just... well as long as you want to go then im fine with it". He smiled not wanting her to feel like she was making him feel some type of way. He loved her and he just wanted her safe and the baby.

When her lips found his he leaned into the kiss cupping her face to deepen the kiss. He wanted more than anything just to hold her and be with er but he couldn't right now. As they headed to the elevator to wait he looked at Josie when she mentioned Montgomery. " I mean yeah sure the more people the better, i just hope he shows up before we leave though".

"Well, we can call the front desk to see what room's he in, and help him pack. It shouldn't take too long, and we'll be out before anyone notices we're gone."

Josie decided to stop the elevator at the 18th floor where most of the classroom were located. There were no classes going on this early, so they headed towards the break room on that floor and Josie called the front desk.

"Yes, I need the number for Montgomery."

A few seconds past and the attendant gave her the number. Josie hung up and dialed the room number and waited while it rang. She sat down in a chair at a nearby table. She was still a bit tired, so she didn't want to push it.

((Jessica, this is for you. Let's get Montgomery in this group and get them out of there! And Fast! Ace is going to be on their tails soon. ))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back