Invaluable Error

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
As Vincent flipped on the light, Rachelle's good morning bounced around in his skull. Though she had just whispered it he had still heard it, all thanks to supernatural hearing. It brought a slight smile to his face but that disappeared as the brought light came on and Alistair reacted to it by throwing his arm over his face to block the light. A sudden pang of grief filled his heart when he looked at the teenager who groaned, telling his Dad to give him more time to rest his weary eyes. The younger vampire's eyes opened wide, the older vampire seeing this when he removed his arm from his face. Alistair apologized to him, a blush of embarressment, making his cheeks red. A certain pain filled his chest as he remembered when Aldwin had told him so many years ago. He had stopped aging when he was about twenty-four so he would always look this young. But one time when he had figured out how to control himself he had come into contact with a woman who he began spending lots of time with. She knew who he was and wasn't afraid....she shared his same desire to have a family. But when Aldwin found this out he crushed any hope the young man had of sharing a life with someone...of having his own children. He told him that it wasn't possible for vampires to have children except by blood. Then he went out the next night and ended his lover's life. But since then he had moved past that....in a way he did have a family...not the family he had expected but still...technically...he did have a family now. Vincent, after spacing out for a few moments forced a smile for Alistair.

"Don't be sorry Alistiar...I understand...we have to go into town today. Are you...sure you don't want to go by your house Alistair....? To see you Dad one more time before you disappear? I can see it in you as I saw it in myself...You want your dad to be your dad. I had that for 15 years...so don't break things off without atleast saying goodbye. I never got to say that and I regret it so please atleast consider it. Well Whenever you are ready the car is started outside..."

He then turned to leave and walk upstairs.

Somberly, Allistiar nodded, sitting up, and shaking away his tiredness. Listening to Vincent, all manner of emotions ran about his face. First, there was anger, at the thought of seeing his father, but then it turned to sadness, at the thought of never seeing him again, no matter how much Allistair hated him. He stood up, his long dark hair falling messily about his face as he followed Vincent up the stairs.

Rachelle had left the bedroom, pausing in the bathroom to look at her teeth and see if they looked okay. She hadn't ever gone this long without brushing her teeth, and didn't particularly like the feeling of fuzz on them. Sighing, she went back into the front room, seeing Vincent and Allistair come back from downstairs. Giving both of them a quick hug, she held Vincent for slightly longer than she had Allistair. She let him go, and said, "I'm as ready as I'll ever be..."

Vincent was a bit suprised to recieve a hug without showing affection first but he liked it. He then wrapped her in his arms for the quick hug. The man knew that Alistair saw that as awkward...him and Rachelle showing affection for each other infront of him. Then again it would be wierd to watch your parents Kiss like he had kissed her last night infront of Alistair. Then she pulled away and told him that she was as ready as she was ever going to be. Vincent nodded and went back to the office and grabbed the still sleeping child in his arms and then went out to the car. He placed Damien in the car then climbed into the car, shifting the car into reverse as everyone was in the car. Then he backed out of the driveway and into the street. The Vampire shifted the car into drive and headed towards town. Driving into the town was very quiet...but to him it wasn't an uncomfortable silence. When they arrived in town he went strait to Rachelle's shop...or where it used to stand. As they pulled over to the curb and he leaned over from the drivers seat and, placing a kiss on her lips before pulling away. Vincent then looked her in the eyes.

"I know you need to take care of some business but I...we need to feed. I don't want to leave Damien in the car alone here in the city....hope you don't mind watching him...and just becareful....okay?"

He waited for her response then drove off to a shadier part of town before pulling over. Vincent looked back at Alistair after he undid his seatbelt.

"Becareful....aware of what is around you...Make sure you don't feed where you will be easily found...And Stay close by okay?"

Vincent then climbed out of the car and looked around, picking up the distinct scent of a woman wearing way too much purfume. She seemed to be in her late twenties, early thirties. He looked at Alistair before taking off towards the buildings, going deeper into the shady part of town.

Rachelle got into the front seat of the car, listening to Allistair drum a beat with his fingers along the way to the city. She didn't mind, as it kept the drive from getting too silent and descend the group into an awkward silence. Once in front of the remains of the building, she nodded listlessly at Vincent's words, taking in the sight of her destroyed life. It was horrible. At least half of her building lay in ruins, the other part charred and still smoking a little from the fire. She wanted to cry, but decided she had done enough crying yesterday to last her a year, at least. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she watched as Vincent drove away with Allistair, before turning back to her now-destroyed home. "Thank God Vincent was there..." she whispered sadly, walking through the doorframe of what was once her clear glass front doors.

The front room was awful, but the waiting chairs towards the front weren't that bad. She placed the child on one of them, saying sternly, "Don't leave this spot, I don't know how safe the building is." Leaving him, she continued along the hallway, all of Allistair's things on his desk now blackened with soot. The dust still settling, it was almost like snow, as if she was walking down the remains of a nuclear plant that had had a meltdown. Distantly, as if through water, she heard the sounds of the city, but they didn't concern her, not now. Heading into what used to be her bedroom, she moved a charred dresser, revealing a still-intact metal trapdoor.

Allistair nodded at Vincent's words, swallowing his misgivings. The sight of the dilapidated buildings reminded him of his father's house on the outskirts of the town, a falling apart ranch style home. Getting out of the backseat of the car, he pulled at the hem of his clothes, straightening them so that he looked more acceptable.

He sighs, watching Vincent leave, as he too catches the smell of a nearby person. He leaves for her, only a young woman, slightly older than Rachelle, he figured, once he saw he
r. From a distance of about ten metres, he follows her, watching as she takes a right turn into the maze of alley ways that separated this part of the city from the next.

Vincent wondered down the street, the roadways dingy and damp...dark and dirty. This was a place where prositutes would come to find clients. Not many people came around this part of town unless you lived here or were looking for someone to spend the night with. When he was moving out here, it came to the point where he just had to stop and feed. This part of town was where he stopped and took his first victim. A young High school girl who he had unwittingly attracted attention from. Now he was back to kill in the city where he had first killed in the region. The vampire just kept walking, following the scent. He followed it until he found the woman, she dressed in...well not so much dressed was what it really was. She had on a short, sleeveless dress and high heels. The woman had long auburn colored hair and grey eyes...tall. She would be attractive if she didn't have on so much makeup. He came out from around the corner and the two's eyes caught eachother. She smiled and he forced one....slowly she approached him...stopping infront of him. The woman reached out and buried her hand in his hair.

"Such a looker, ain't ya sweetie...and those eyes...are you really into that kind of stuff...?"

She winked and he chuckled a bit, smiling charmingly back at her.

"You have no idea..."

The woman leaned in and whispered in his ear.

"Then show me..."

He reached out and pulled her against him before pushing her against the side of the building. Vincent leaned in and kissed the spot where the vein was before burying his fangs into her neck. She gasped and gripped his clothing tightly, clenching it in her fists. Quickly her blood gushed into his mouth, dripping down his throat. It was an odd taste..her blood tasted of a bitter raspberry but it wasn't terrible. He continued to drink and drink until she became limp in his arms. He then felt the flow of blood slow to a stop and just let her fall to the ground before pulling away and wiping his lips of blood. Then he picked up Alistairs scent and followed after him, catching up easily and staying out of sight.

Rachelle pulled open the heavy door, revealing a ladder descending into a dark basement. Reaching beneath the floor just next to where the door covered, she found a lightswitch, and flicked it into the on position, revealing a plain room, with only a small metal box in the middle. She didn't particularly like going down there, the thought of the door falling shut and locking itself scarring her too much, but she knew that she needed the papers inside the box.

Going down the ladder's rungs, she approached the box, opening it to make sure everything was in place. "Birth certificate...passport..." she continued mumbling to herself, mentally checking off the much needed papers. Then , she came to some paperclipped photographs she couldn't remember putting in there. One was a family portrait, taken when she was five, just a few months before her parents' death. On the back was the words, "Winifred, John, and our special daughter Rachelle," she smiles at the three's happy faces, her father's hair slightly askew from the wind that day.

The next two pictures were crime scene photos of her parents' bodies, their screams permanently etched in their faces. Quickly, Rachelle put the pictures down, not ready to relive that moment in her life once again, not so soon after what had happened. Going through the rest of the papers, she shuts the box, taking it back out of the basement, as she moves about her destroyed building once more.

Allistair followed the woman's scent, which was extremely pungent. She was homeless, he found out as he followed her through the alleys. A twang of sadness went through him. She had it bad enough already, and here he was, to take her life away. Removing the thoughts from his head, he followed her deeper into the maze, until he was sure no one would hear or see anything.

Raising his voice, he said, "Excuse me! I think I'm lost. Can you help me, ma'am?" He ran the rest of the way to her, watching as she turned around. Before she could even turn around properly, he was on her, whispering a quick, "I'm sorry," before sinking his teeth into her exposed neck. She didn't have enough time to scream, and soon her struggles grew less, and finally stopped. When her fluttery heartbeat finally subsided and stopped, he removed his fangs, and gently set her body onto the ground of the alley, bowing his head for a second, trying to think of something to say in order to commemorate her passing.

Vincent had watched the young boy sink his fangs into the young woman's neck. He had done everything right, and deserved a good meal. The woman struggled for awhile before she ceased...the older vampire could hear her heartbeat ceasing. Then it stopped as the woman died...Alistair taking her limp body and laying her against the cold ground very gently. He then bowed his head and looked like he began to think it though...think something though. Weather it was her death or something to say to the body he didn't know what. Vincent walked out from where he was hidden and slowly walked over to him. He placed his hand on his shoulder and sighed...the smell of blood still on him and Alistair. The man smiled sadly at the boy.

"Alistair...you better not think this through too much...She died. It's okay...one day she would have anyway. Just don't take a life if it isn't nessary...there isn't anything you can say to change this...it's hard I know but the best we can do is make the best of what she provided for you. Life and energy...okay? If you think this over too much then you start to blame yourself and it's not your fault for who you became...It's mine so let me take the fall for this. Believe me, if I didn't have to change you I wouldn't have. Being a vampire isn't exactly a blessing; more like a curse if you ask me. Anyway...while Rachelle is still at the building why don't we head over and check on you father...so you can tell him...goodbye. Just lead the way and I won't let you go alone...but if you don't say it then you will regret you didn't..."

Rachelle walked through the desecrated remains of her home, ticking off in her head the money needed to repair it to its former glory. The number soon reached the thousands, then ten thousands, as she reached what used to be the kiln room. The door was gone, no sign of it anywhere, its hinges hanging uselessly, while the large oven was blown to pieces, bits of stone lying everywhere. It was almost like a bomb had gone off, the sight making Rachelle's heart ache. This was her home, now it's gone, all because of a stupid mistake on her part. All the paintings she had made, all the pictures she had hung on the walls, everything was gone, and it would take a miracle to get it back. The realization hit her like a train, a single tear falling from her face as she fell to her knees.

Allistair started as he felt a hand rest on his shoulder, about to turn around and defensively hit whatever had touched him, when he heard Vincent's voice. He listened to the older vampire's words, nodding when he was finished. "I understand," he said, "but I don't know if I can face him." his voice was tinged with a sadness, as expected, but a slight tone of cold hatred lay in his voice. He hated his father, but couldn't stand the thought of never saying goodbye to him.

When Vincent had placed a hand on Alistair's shoulder the young vampire twisted around. He was about to swing out and hit whoever had touched him. Then he heard his master's voice and calmed down, deciding not to hit him. Alistair listened to him and nodded when Vincent stopped talking. The young vampire's voice was tinged with a heartbreaking sadness and laced with a cold hatered. Then he said he understood but he didn't know if he could face him. Vincent frowned a bit and looked him in the eyes, a sincere look but also a serious look.

"Listen Alistair...I know you hate him. But he is your father and without him you would not be here and you would not have met Rachelle. If for nothing else but that you owe him that...I know if you could you would want him to act like a real father but apperntly he dosn't. I will come with you, now lets just go okay...? I don't know how long Rachelle will be but I am going to assume you have time...It's one last time...just lead the way alright?"

He sighed and backed away, clenching his jaw. There was a certain stress building and he didn't know what it was. Vincent closed his eyes for a few moments then opened them, calming himself down before looking back to Alistair.

"I am ready whenever you are..."

After what felt like an hour, but was only a few minutes, Rachelle recollected herself, and continued on her examination of the wreckage of her building. There wasn't much left that was salvageable, but whatever was, she took it with her, as both a familiar object to keep, and to prevent anyone besides her finding anything of hers and keeping it. The building was not a quiet place. Every few minutes, a creak or the sound of something falling could be heard, echoing through the empty hallways of the still-intact part of her building. Whenever she heard anything, Rachelle would spin around suddenly, making sure she couldn't see anything. Each time, her heartbeat rose, pounding in her chest. However, she never found anything, and soon nervously turned around and continued on her way. She walked slowly, as if expecting something to happen, but it never came.

Allistair nodded at Vincent's words, knowing that they were true. "Okay," he finally conceded, turning around before saying, "It would probably be easier if we took your car. My house is kind of far." He grimaced, not entirely certain he wants Vincent to see the place he once called home.

After listening to him Alistair nodded and finally agreed to go see his father with a reluctant 'okay'. Then he turned around and spoke saying that it would be much easier to take his car. That his house was far from their location. They were already far outside of town and he was farther. Vincent blinked in suprise but nodded and agreed with him.

"Yeah sure...let's go."

He turned in the direction he came from and started walking, glancing back to make sure that the younger vampire was following him. All the way back to the car it was quiet...like the kind of quiet that made people feel like they were being watched. The older vampire sighed and climbed into the car, looking to Alistair once he did.

"Alright, just lead the way."

He listened the directions and followed them, watching for Alistair to point out his home.

Obediently, Allistair gave Vincent the directions to his home, bringing them to a relatively nice neighborhood far from the city's center. Far from anything, it seemed. Finally, after a few minutes going down the same street, with uniform-looking houses on both sides, he pointed out one on the left. "5470," he said, the house looking just like the others. He sighed, seeing one of his neighbors, Mrs Hubbard, watering her lush garden in front of her house. How in the world would he be able to explain everything this time, especially since he knew that the older woman would undoubtedly tell all the other women on the street. People like her normally did.

Rachelle eventually came upon the waiting room, burned out and sad-looking. She sighed, sitting on the edge of a charred sofa, sending up flurries of ash and soot into the air. She put her face into her hands somberly, remembering how just yesterday she was apologizing to Vincent because he had the appearance of the man who killed her parents. And then, she later found out, he actually was somewhat related to him! It was all so crazy, yet so much more real than what her grandparents told her, what the social workers told her, what anyone ever told her. It was the truth. The young woman smiles sadly, coughing a little on the ash.

Vincent followed the directions that the boy gave him into a decent looking neighborhood. The place was far from where they had just come from and far from the city. He drove down one street slowly looking from left to right at all the uniform houses. All of them seemed to look the same...just like a lot of other houses in Russia. He smiled a bit, remembering just where he was born...where he came from. Then Alistair pointed out a house that had the numbers 5470 nailed to the front near the door. There was an old woman next door that was watering her big garden infront of her house. This was going to be intresting...but so was the rest of his life. Weather it was trying to stay hidden or fleeing his life never got boring. Vincent pulled into the driveway and parked the SUV. He shut it off, climbing out of the door. The vampire kept his keys in his hand as he looked about. He didn't know what the old woman would say nor what Alistair's father would say about his son and the man accompanying her. The older vampire put on a smile that was both charming and friendly. As everything was...it didn't look normal so he would have to try and make it look as normal as possible. Vincent waited for Alistair to make any moves.

Allistair silently waved to Mrs Hubbard, hoping she wouldn't say anything about him or the man standing next to him. Thankfully, with a knowing look in her eyes, she didn't, but he knew that the two would be the talk of almost the entire neighborhood. He sighed, looking at Vincent and giving him a quick nod, to say that he was prepared.

All along the way, he had been thinking about exactly what he wanted to say, imagining how it would play out in his mind. Most of them didn't end well for either Vincent or Allistair, but eventually, he came up with one that might work. Taking a deep breath to steady himself, he took his keys from his pocket, finding his house key immediatel
y.

He walked up the front steps, trying to keep fro
m passing out from anticipation. His dad's car wasn't in the driveway, so he might not be there, but he never knew, and had to prepare for the best--and the worst. Slowly, as if hoping this inevitable moment would go on forever, he put the key into the slot, turning it right, and hearing the lock click open.

Vincent went over to Alistair and looked over at the old woman at the same time he did. She had this knowing look in her eyes, like she knew something had changed about her young neighbor. Hopefully her gossip didn't reach too far, he didn't want to have to remove the boy's neighbor. The vampire didn't like it but if it kept his kind hidden amungst humans than that is what had to be done. Then he looked over at Alistair as he nodded, the boy looking like he was as ready as he was ever going to be. As they made their way over to the door it looked like a million things were running through his mind...what he was going to tell his father. Vincent hoped he had picked something to tell him besides the truth...because if he was right about the relationship Alistair had with his father then that would not go well at all. The young vampire pulled out the keys from his pocket and taking a deep breath found his house key amungst the keys on the chain. Then they walked up the steps of the front porch and he put the key in the slot. As he turned it right the lock clicked open, and it was aweful loud...atleast for Vincent. The older a vampire got the more heightned his or her sense became. Sure Alistiar had senses right now that could easily beat out any humans but they would become better and better as he aged. Right now he could, even from all this distance and behind all the walls of this home smell another preasance...human in the house. When Alistiar opened the door he followed him silently into the house...hoping for the best and hoping that the worst would not be too bad. He just kept the friendly smile plasterd on his face and followed Alistair around.

The house was silent, Allistair's father's shoes not next to the doorway like it normally was. Holding his breath, the young vampire led Vincent through the long hallway, into a kitchen-slash-dining area, his father's keys gone from their normal position on the counter. Still no father. Glancing across the room, to the archway leading to the living room, there was still no trace of his father. All of the furniture was there, nothing looked disturbed, except that the familiar presence of Allistair's dad was absent. Hi hands were shaking, he realized, looking down. Forcing himself to act normal, he sighed, leading Vincent down yet another hallway into the wing of the house where the two bedrooms lay.

His dad's door was open, an unusual sight for most days. Peering into the room tentatively, he found no trace of his dad. No one was home, he concluded, heading into his room, opposite his father's, and taking a sheet of paper and a mechanical pencil out of his school binder. Returning to the dining area, he wrote:

Mr Fransisco Aurelio,
I apologize for not coming at a time when you were around, but it cannot be helped at the moment. I am leaving, and I'm never coming back. Although I cannot write those three words that you must have told my mother, otherwise, why would she want to conceive a child with you, know that you were always the only family I knew, and that it holds a special place inside of me. Do not try to come look for me, you won't find me. Do whatever you wish with my belongings, however small in number it may be.
Goodbye,
Allistair Aurelio.

Vincent followed him into the house, and was a bit disappointed to not find the man there. He sighed and bit his lip,waiting for the young vampire to write a note to his father. He looked around rhe room, remembering his own father...the one who laid in the ground. Not the bloodthirsty killer who was his bloodfather. The man who gave him his exsistance...Leioh Falansi. He was a lighthearted spirit despite his years of hardship, tall too with black hair and brown eyes. He had many siblings but as the oldest amung them and a boy his father took special attention to him. Leioh loved him more than any father could possibly love his own flesh and blood. They used to spend alot of time with each other, he helping his father work since he could walk....until he fell ill with cancer. Then only thinking of himself asked to be turned by Aldwin into a monster. Then came the hard part...watching his funloving, hardworking, and firm father crack. When Aldwin desguised as a doctor told him that he had passed away. His father broke down and sobbed like a small child would. It was hard to watch, especilly since he was never to have contact with his family again. Vincent never had the chance to tell his loved ones that he would be leaving them. Now he had the chance and his father wasn't here. The vampire missed his biological father so dearly...it frustrated him that he could not be here for his son. If he had told his father of him leaving his father would have encouraged him to go wherever it was that he wanted to go. It must have been like a pumch in the face. All of his emotions were clear on his face. Frustration...anger...regret...sorrow. Then he came over and glanced over the note, looking to Alistair.

"Are you sure you want to leave a note instead of waiting for him? This will probably be the last time you will see him from now until he dies. I know you hate him Alistair but remember he carries a load too...loosing somoene you care for more than anything or anyone kills inside. Imagine what it would be like to loose Rachelle but worse...much worse. He is in pain as well and hurts people around him because they remind them of the hurt they are trying to heal...it's no excuse but it is an explination. What will it be like for him with you gone? Dosn't give me an biast opinon...tell me as his own flesh and bllod what will be running through his mind to read that the only family he as left is leaving him...we can go or stay it's up to you...I'll let you make the choice without another word..."

With that he stood in silence, waiting for his Bloodson to react.

Allistair shook his head, and it was obvious that he was near to crying. "Him being gone probably means that he's out drinking again. When he comes back, and we tell him then, he won't remember it in the morning. If I leave something for him to read, he'll have to remember it. Plus...I don't think I can face him," he wiped at his eyes, trying to get rid of the apparent tears.

He turns his gaze from Vincent to the note he wrote, and stares at it for a long while, thinking. Finally, when he can take the silence for no longer, he turns back to Vincent. "Rachelle is probably waiting for us," he said simply, his eyes containing a sad light in them.

It became clear to him that he was acting more based on his intrest's than Alistair's. Since he did not get that goodbye for himself and from his father. He nodded and sighed, trying to regain control of his emotions. But this was the second time that though the actions of his own creator two young men had to say goodbye to the only family they knew. He was increasingly becoming irritated and angry with Aldwin. All the Vampire needed was one more shove to push him over the edge and show his master just what he had learned all those fifteen years away from his side. Surely if that happened it would not be a good thing...not pretty either, not at all. He looked over at Alistair and the irritation directed not at him but at the reason all this was happening...Aldwin. There was tears in his eyes, ready to drip down his face at any time. He told him that his father was out drinking again and would surely come back drunk...that a note would be better in the long run. Plus he didn't think he could face him. Then his gaze fell on the note and the room went silent. After a long silence he turned to Vincent and told him Rachelle was probably waiting for them...A sad, miserable light in his eyes. Vincent slipped his cellphone from his pocket...looking at Alistair. He bit his lip, looking down at his cellphone then back up to him. It had been five years since he had heard from McKay...A man who Aldwin had changed in England fifty years ago. A run away child that Aldwin never cared to search for, reappeared when He had moved to the United states. A friend of his he had helped McKay regain control of his monster as much as possible. Vincent felt like he needed to stay tonight...just to make sure of somethings. He put the phone up to his ear and waited though the dial tone. Finally a voice picked up on the other end.

"McKay...I am on the far side of town...I know you know where I am...Please come here."

After hanging up he looked the younger vampire in the eyes, tucking his phone into his pocket.

"I have a friend of mine...also a vampire and someone turned by Aldwin many years ago...He is going to come and be with you and going to pick up Rachelle. Now that I have turned you I just want to make sure that Aldwin won't lash out at your father now that he cannot lash out on you. It would be too risky to go after Rachelle so she is safe. Just promise me...that you will make sure that he remembers that Rachelle isn't dinner..."

Just as he finnished a man walked out of one of the houses , tall and with fair skin. He had somewhat shaggy but at the same time trimmed blonde hair with one red eye and the other purple. He was dressed in a red button up shirt, the top three buttons undone and black dresspants/shoes underneath. He was rather handsome and lean. The man walked over and across the street, blinking at Alistair in suprise as he examined the boy then looked to Vincent.

"Vincent...why is..?"

He didn't have to finnish his sentance. Vincent looked to him then back to Alstiar.

"I...turned him McKay...I need to stay here. I need you to stay with him and go pick someone up."

McKay looked back to the young Vampire utterly suprised. Though he didn't stray from his home often or talk to much of anyone the vampire still with his english accent had lived across the street from the boy since they had moved there.

"Alistair Aurelio...how in Hades did this happen...?"

Silently, Allistair listened to Vincent speak on the phone for a few seconds. He vaguely recognized the name he had said, but couldn't place it. He was about to ask Vincent what his phonecall was all about when he spoke to him. He nodded as Vincent finished speaking, his forehead creased in worry. Glancing out the window, he saw the man crossing the street, and finally was able to pinpoint who he was. All this time, one of his neighbors had been a vampire. The thought was mind-blowing, almost.

At the same moment his neighbor spoke, he said the same words, surprise evident on his face. How hadn't he noticed him before? Granted, he had been a sort of shut in, but still. You'd think that any one of the few times he had seen him, he would have noticed something! As he spoke to him, it took Allistair a few seconds to respond, his mind still trying to figure out how he had missed the fact that his neighbor was a vampire.

"I--I don't know," he said, blinking a few times, "I'm in as much shock as you, I guess...McKay..." He wasn't entirely comfortable with calling him by his name, thus the pause. Trying to give the situation a little less surprised air, he turned his gaze to Vincent.