Invaluable Error

''Yeah...we probably should...which sparks a question.'' he said with a sigh. ''Rachelle and I, we are going to Russia. I am still going to make sure she gets to go to the school she wants...have her dream. I...we, don't know if you and Kam want to come with us. As far as everyone is concerned you are dead...and so is she. So which brings us to this question. Where do you want to live? I will buy you and Kam your own space...if you want it. But nothing can happen until Aldwin is taken care of...till then, just keep an eye out...for both of you...does she know about the slayers...?"

He just looked to Alistair for awnsers.

"I don't know...I'd have to ask Kam what she wants." Allistair smiled slightly, imagining being with Kam by themselves. "I just...I don't really want to live in this city anymore...." he trailed off, listening silently as Vincent spoke again. Then, he said, "She doesn't...She just got back from seeing her parents again, I nearly got arrested, and on top of that, she doesn't know if her parents will be living the next time she sees them, so I think it's not a good idea to spring another thing on her that will just stress her out." He looked to Vincent, frowning now. "But I won't let Aldwin get anywhere near her."

'I understand that...your not the only one who wants to get away from here. Fifteen years in one place is too long for me. I just guess that I got comfortable...too comfortable..." he said. "And as soon as you two decide, let me know. Then you can look for something online, find something you both like I will arrange for you both to go look at it or just put in an offer...but as for the slayers...that is probably a good idea....just be wary of anybody you meet outside of here. They are never dressed the part..."

He bit his lip remembering his not so pleasant run in with a slayer...if he had not tried to stab him in the chest he never would have known better.

Allistair was silent for several minutes, but eventually he spoke. "Okay. I'll go talk to her now..." He trailed off, wondering how she would even react to the news. Of course he wanted to live with her, but he had no idea how or where he would like to live. Turning from Vincent, he returned to the living room, finding Kam. Sitting down on the couch, he said, "Hey. Uh, Vincent says that since he and Rachelle will be going to Russia soon, that we should probably be thinking about where to go...He said anywhere we like...Where would you want to go?" he asked her, smiling comfortingly.

When she had came in through the door, after hearing the coughing she sat down on the arm chair. Tucking her legs against her chest and resting her head on her knees. It concerned her to hear someone coughing like they were...but Alistair had taken off already to discover what the sound was. Or rather who it was coming from...he must have been sucsessful because when he came back he didn't look as concerned. Her lover sat down on the couch and looked to her. Suddenly he asked her about finding a place to live...that as long as they decided where they wanted to go Vincent would cover their expenses. Anywhere at all? That was a rather broad range to pick from but it also left them lots of choices. Looking him in the eyes she lifted her eyes and looked at him as well.

"I've always wanted to go over seas to see places like europe...england...assuming we are going to need to feed, I don't know what would be practical...As long it isn't here. I can't stay anywhere near this city anymore. It reminds me off everything bad that has happened in the past month. You were the only thing good that has happened to me the past week or so..." she said, smiling half heartedly. "What about you? Where do you want to go...?"

"I'm...I'm not sure. I don't want to be here either...Europe sounds nice...I know Rachelle came from the UK, though she only lived there a few years." He smiled at her, kissing her softly for a moment. "As long as I'm with you, I'm fine where ever we live. Though, I have always wanted to visit Europe. My dad has even said we might be able to get into school...graduate and maybe go to college if you want." He knew that he wanted to, no matter what. However, Kam, he wasn't sure. When he thought about it, he didn't know much about her, and made it his goal to learn more about the woman he loved in the coming days.

"...We better get some sleep," Allistair said after a moment. "We don't know when Aldwin might show up...and you've had a long day."

She smiled softly at his comments then nodded her head.

"Yeah...We can talk more about this afterwards. But we won't want to keep Vincent waiting too long. I don't want to wait that much longer anyways. This isn't exactly how I pictured going about getting my first house but as long as we have our own space I won't care too much where it is...and as for school...yes. Yes I do want to go back, the sooner the better...."

Kam got to her feet and went over to the couch, sitting down and leaning against Alistair, curling up next to him.

"Your right...I'm exausted..." she said, biting her lip. The woman at this point didn't know if it was a lie or not but she would try to make it a truth.

Placing his arms around her, he said, "Me, too...I'll try not to sleep in, but if you wake up before me, don't answer the door to anyone, don't even look to see who it is, okay?" Lying down with her on the couch, he set his keys down on the coffee table, gently wrapping his arms around her. Kissing her, he murmured against her lips, "Good night." Pulling away, he said, "Don't worry. It'll be alright in a couple days, I'll make sure of it." Closing his eyes, he yawned before letting himself settle and try to fall asleep.

The woman with the fiery red hair cuddled into him as laid down with him, listening to his words. He told her to not awnser the door, not for anyone, and wrapped his arms around her. She closed her eyes so she could only hear the soft tinkling and clanging as Alistair removed his keys from his pocket and set them on the coffee table. Kam rest her head against his chest and nodded, agreeing to not open the door for anyone. Then she briefly felt his lips against hers as he kissed her and bid her good night. It still sent shivers down her spine and made goosebumps coat her arms in a thin layer. He just had that way...she guessed...that way of making her feel that way like no man had before. It made her feel even better to hear that he was going to try and make sure things were better in a few days. She just smiled softly and spoke just the same.

"You sleep as long as you need to...I am not completly helpless...I promise I won't do anything too stupid while you rest. Just don't worry and get some sleep..."

The younger vampire placed her cheek back down against his chest, closing her eyes again. He was warm...warmer than she expected a vampire to be. Even still...she thought as she pulled the blanket hanging on the back of the couch over them both...she liked the weight of the blanket on top of her as she slept. It was an added security...to be safe...secure...warm. Kam would sleep well tonight. She let out a soft, doubtful sigh. At the very least, that is what she had to tell herself. Finally after awhile, just after two O'clock in the morning she dozed off snuggled up against her lover.

As soon as she pulled the blanket over them, Allistair shut his eyes, his breath leaving him in a heavy sigh. It didn't take especially long to fall asleep, but it took long enough to be noticeable by him. However, once he fell asleep, he didn't once stir through the night.

When morning rolled around, he opened his eyelids a crack, immediately looking around for anything off or suspicious. Finding nothing, he sat up slightly, careful not to disturb Kam. Kissing the top of her head as he slowly got out from beneath her, he scooped his keys back into his pocket. Parting the curtains in the front window, he checked for any sign of Aldwin, feeling paranoid.

Pulling off the jacket he had slept in, he set it down, yawning.

Kam slept rather peacefully the entire night sleeping so close to the man that she loved. She did stirr a bit during the night but it was to pull the blankets over her head, hiding herself from the world. It was a habit she was in at home...creating that warm shell...Alistair only making it more comfortable for her. Making her more at ease, feel safer. Finally once morning had rolled around she didn't wake up until the morning sun had filled the living room. Sleepily she pushed the blanket off of her and sat up, covering a brief yawn. Looking around she saw Alistair looking out the window and pulling off his jacket. Kam smiled softly and stood, walking over to him. She rested her head against his back and wrapped her arms around his waist. The red head sighed contently, even though her wild red hair was still bed head.

"Good Morning Handsome..." she said softly. "How did you sleep...?"

"Good," he answered, smiling softly. Letting the curtain fall back, he twisted around in her grip, chuckling softly as he saw her hair before kissing her. "What about you, beautiful? You look tired..." After listening to her response, he said, "There's...no sign of Aldwin yet, but I don't know when he'd show up. I'm going to get Cory, and tell him what's going to happen...after today he might be able to go back to his home."

She smiled to herself as he turned in her grip around his waist. After laughing softly, at her bed head, she assumed he asked her how she slept...and commented that she looked tired.

"Alright I guess..." she said with a small smirk and a joking tone. "As much as I love sleeping in such close proximity to you we really need a bed...couches get hard after awhile..."

After her comment he told her that the evil vampire was nowhere in sight right now but that when he would appear...no one would know. That he was going to get Cory and tell him about him about his impending trip home, hopefully very soon. Kam removed her arms and nodded, walking away a few feet before streaching, her shirt a bit small for her, exposing part of the skin on her belly and back as she streached.

"Okay..." she said and turn to follow him, a smile across her lips.

The way her shirt rode up her back made Allistair's breath catch in his throat, and he had to stand up and kiss her to hide it. Pulling away, he gently took her hand as he walked towards the door to the stairs. Opening it, he called down, "Cory, we're coming down," before starting down the stairs. Cory was sitting on the floor next to the couch, Damien asleep on it. Lowering his voice, he said, "He slept down here?"

"Oh," Cory said as he noticed Allistair, "yeah. I was reading to him last night and he felt asleep on me...I didn't want to wake him, so I let him sleep down here. I, uh, didn't get much sleep last night." He gave a halfhearted smile, standing up. "What's up?"

Allistair answered, "Aldwin is supposed to appear any moment now...I just wanted to let you know that I'll do everything to keep you and Damien safe...If all goes well, you should be able to go home."

Kam definitly did not expect that kiss but it was welcomed just the same. She kissed him back until he pulled away, taking her hand in his. They walked from the living room to the stairwell to the downstairs. Alistair called down to Cory that they were coming down. Not hearing any objections they started down the creaky wooden steps. The noise they made, made the house seem older than it really was. It was a good thing they were to get their own place soon enough. Once downstairs she noticed the small human boy sprawled out on Cory's spot on the couch. Not leaving any room for the man to sleep up there as well. As a result, just as she suspected, he did not sleep very well at all that night. Her lover proceeded to tell her former brother in law to be that he might be able to go home if everything went the way it was planned to be. Kam tucked some fiery stands behind her ear and looked to Cory.

"Assuming everything goes well...but this is Aldwin we are talking about. It probably won't...but you two will be safest down here..." she said then swallowed a lump in his throat...not looking forward the the sadistic vampire's visit at all. Somoene was going to die today...her or his father...and she knew that he did not want either of those options to occur. But life had never been fair...and it wasn't going to start right now.

"Okay," Allistair heard Cory say, nodding. He was being exceptionally soft, probably to not wake up Damien. His expression was unreadable; Alistair couldn't tell if Cory was happy, sad, or angry...his face was just a complete blank.

"You doing all right, Cory?" he asked. A shaky nod was all he got in reply. "Hey," he said, trying to calm down the young man, "look, it'll be fine. I promise. I'll make sure of it." He gave him a grin, not once letting go of Kam's hand. When it appeared that Cory wasn't about to break down into tears, he said, "Kam and I'd better go...I don't want Aldwin to appear suddenly..."

Nodding firmly for Cory, he turned, leading Kam up the stairs. Once back in the living room, he sighed heavily, trying to ignore the fact of what must be done within the next twenty-four hours. Kam or his father. The decision was a true example of Morton's Fork. Whatever happened though, he wanted to say goodbye first.

Pulling Kam into his embrace, he holds her tightly to his body for a long while, his eyes closed and his breathing soft against her neck. Finally, he brought his lips to hers, feeling desperate to share a kiss with her, not wanting it to be their last. "I love you," he said when he had pulled away, not taking his arms from her. There had been a childish rise in his voice, as if he had a physical need to be with her. "I love you," he repeated.

Cory's shaky but indifferent nod left Kam unsettled. The man didn't look very confident or frightened...not much of anything really. She couldn't break her gaze away from his until Alistair's grip on her hand made itself known once again. He pulled her away from that basement and away from the child, from Cory and back up the creaky old wooden steps. The couple went back into the living room where the only movement for the longest time was the turn of her head to look over at Alistair's expression. The older vampire looked as if he was thinking over something...and she knew exactly what it was. By the time twenty-four hours would pass one of them would be dead. Either her or his father...and as much as she wanted to be here by his side she didn't want him to give up his father so easily. Not after all these years he had not known him...they had not known each other. Karma, fate...whatever it was, was cruel to her and to his father, even Alistair himself. No such choice should ever have to be made. A lover...or family. If only there was someway more she could help him with his choice...but there wasn't. Nothing more to help her or Dante's case.

Suddenly he moved, pulling her against his body and holding her there. It was quite and still...the warmth of his breathe on her neck sent chills over her entire body. Then he moved and pressed his lips against hers, his kiss urgent and desperate. Her body tensed up before relaxing into the kiss. She kissed him back until he pulled away and told her that he loved her. Alistair's strong arms did not move from her frame and he repeated his words except this time his voice rose in attempt to potray to her his childish need to not leave her...to not have to make this tough decision. The vampire with the firey red hair smiled softly, love in her expression.

"I love you too...more than anything. And no matter what, who you choose I will support you. I don't want to make this any harder for you than I know it already is...I know you will make the choice you will regret the least..."

Allistair had to shake his head at Kam's words. He wasn't disagreeing with her; he was just too afraid that he would lose her. Leaving her, he sank onto the couch, sighing heavily. Tears stung the back of his eyes, but he wouldn't let himself cry, not wanting Aldwin to see him after crying.

He tried to think about it logically. Logically, it would appear that letting Kam die and saving his father would be the best decision, because Allistair would finally have a parental figure there to teach him about things and guide him. He wouldn't have to be alone anymore. But, if Allistair looked through his heart, he knew he wanted to save Kam, since he knew her longer than he had his father. He's your father! an angry voice in his head shouted at him. Can you really not feel anything for him? There's a world of other girls out there. Shaking his head, trying to clear his thoughts, he clenched and unclenched his hands, frowning.

Closing his eyes, he rested his head against the back of the couch, trying to think it through and failing. "When will it all be normal again?" he muttered to himself, not really wanting an answer.