Invaluable Error

When Alistair slowed down by the school...she looked at it as well. It seemed like a lifetime ago that she last went...but in truth it had not been that long. By now she was so far behind she was going to have to catch up, make up a grade. Putting her dreams of going to University or even just a collage on hold. Kam looked back to the road before he did...the car horns urging them away from the place that once had been a place of refuge...despite all the troubles there. The red head had always enjoyed school...and her fondest memories were there as well. It was the place she had conspired with her best friend during lunch, how to attract the seemingly elusive creature she precieved Alistair as back then. A slight, warm smile filled her lips. The woman missed her...her best friend. But until Aldwin was out of the way, she couldn't chance dragging her back into her life. As he drove onwards she told him to turn five streets from the school and drive into the dead end cul de sac. The teenager pointed out a house to the right near the round end of the street. It was a two story house, beautiful, with exquist brick making up the whole house. Once he parked she looked over to him, a soft smile on her lips.

"I didn't think this was the way you would be meeting my parents...I planned on seducing you first then bringing you here... after sneaking out to meet you past my curfew a few times..." her cheeks went red and she smiled sheepishly, tucking her hair behind her ear. Embarressed to reveal to him the plans she had made...the plans that were formed in her hopeless romantic of a brain. Kam looked down at her lap, biting her lip and trying to force the blush away.

Allistair chuckled softly to himself as he listened to what Kam's plans were to be with him. Leaning over, he kissed her softly, letting his red eyes shut as he did so, sighing happily into the kiss. After pulling away, he reached behind the seats, grabbing a dark sweatshirt to pull over himself, knowing that as soon as the door opened, he would start feeling freezing.

Looking out the window, he asked Kam, "D'you think your parents are in?" He couldn't tell, having never been anywhere near this part of town. In a way, it reminded him of the neighborhood where he had once lived, across the street from McKay. But, the neighborhood also reminded him of Kam. The entire neighborhood felt distinctly like Kam, from the way the houses looked to the nearly immaculate snow on the front lawns. There were Christmas lights on many of the houses, trees in the front windows, and it made him feel slightly homesick. Only slightly. Despite all the arguments he and Vincent got into, he would take living with Vincent hundreds of times over compared to living with Fransisco.

"We better go check that everything's okay..." Allistair said, coming back to reality for a moment.

As he kissed her...Kam relaxed as much as she possibly could without knowing. Knowing weather or not her parents lay either slaughtered or safe inside the confines of their home. The house she had called home her entire life. Alistair sighed into the kiss as she kissed him back, glad to be close and feeling slightly warmer by being so. But then he pulled away and reached for a dark sweatshirt, pulling it over his head and asking weather she thought her parents were home or not. Looking at the windows of the house...the lights were low but she could see them shining weakly though the frosted over windows.

"Yeah...Mom dosn't work and Dad never works past eight O'Clock...and they very rarely go out. We spent a lot of time togeather as a family, well...when we could anyways..."

When Allstair spoke again, saying that they better go check on them...she opened the door and slid out of the car. The cold air attacked her warmed skin right away, making her shiver. She shut the door and walked around to the front of the car to meet Alistair. Slowly she moved towards the house, walking up the steps. Instead of knocking she reached for the front door and pushed it open. Despite the door being in great condition, the hinge creeked, announcing their arrival. It was very warm inside...she greeted it by relaxing and pulling her lover in behind her. Looking around she saw that the house was exactly as it was left the day her and her sister left to go camping. Except for the exquisitly dressed christmas tree. It was decked out, white lights shining out from the dark green of the living Pine tree. Glass ornaments were scattered all over the tree with a shining, Solid crystal Star on top. A big smile came to her face...it was the same as it was every year...making her happy and sad. Happy because of the memories that came with it but sad knowing she could not share in Christmas with her family this year... Suddenly a familiar voice shrieked out her name, tears obvious in her voice.

"Kambrilee!" came her mothers voice, saying her full name. "Your home! My Baby!"

She whirled around and let go of Alistairs hand in time to tightly embrace her mother. Her mom had the same fire bitten hair but it was streaked with her well earned grey. But it hung strait to her shoulders. The mother's warm brown eyes had tears dripping from them as she buried her face into her daughters neck, sobbing in happiness and relief.

"Mama..." Kam said with a smile, tears starting to form in her red eyes.

Allistair couldn't help but look over his shoulder as they entered the house, feeling paranoid and worried at the same time. Trying to determine whether or not it was a broken lightpost or a person at the end of the street, he shook his head, frowning slightly as he pushed the lock button on his keychain, hearing his car make the familiar beeping sounds.

Following her into the house, he couldn't help but smile as he saw the interior of the house. It truly felt like a home, somewhere people are happy and there is a family to speak of. Taking in the entire 'homey' feel to the place, he was startled when he heard a shout and Kam dropped his hand. Quickly seeing that her mother had noticed their arrival, he let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. It felt good to know that Kam still had family, that they hadn't been hurt yet.

Hanging back, letting the two embrace, knowing how delicate a moment like this could be, he tried to make himself scarce, wanting to keep questions about himself to a minimum, for now.

Kam then buried her face into her mothers neck, as her mother started to calm down. Her warm tears dripping silently now. The woman in inhaled quietly and took in her mother's scent. It was the smell that she had always recognized since she could remember her mother rocking her to sleep as a small child. After some more tears they both pulled away from each other and the older woman reached out, wiping away Kam's tears and caressing her cheeks.

"I-I don't mean to fuss so much...I know you hated that. But I thought that When they found Jackie like that...they were going to find you too, murdered. You have so much to explain to me later but right now I am just so glad you are alive and not in the ground with your sister...."

She leaned in and kissed her Daughter's forehead before noticing someone in the background. Stepping around Kam, she looked him over. To her...there was something familiar about this body but just couldn't place it. But then Kam came over to her side and smiled widely, a happy smile she had never seen from Kam before.

"Mom...This is Alistair. He is the reason that I have been gone....He and Vincent saved me, from the Man that killed Jackie..."

Taking a step forwards she looked at him closer and remembered her Husband mentioning the Town Drunk.

"You...your Fransisco's boy. I've never seen you around but now that I am thinking back on it...my daughter talked about you a lot..." she said with a grin, glancing back at Kam who was blushing furiously, wide eyed. Noticing that her eyes...what had happened to her beautiful bright blue eyes..?

"Mom!" she said a bit louder than she intended, throughly embaressed but the parent looked back to Alistair. She had a soft look in her eyes, smiling at him like only a mother could smile.

"You have my sincere thanks for returning my daughter to me...and for protecting her. But you can imagine all the questions I have...like who in the world is this Vincent?" she askedm frowing a bit. Not liking the idea that her daughter was staying in the same house with men she didn't know.

Allistair couldn't help but frown as Kam's mother referred to Fransisco as his father. However, he didn't say anything, figuring he might have a chance to explain later. He instead brushed a stray strand of hair behind his ear, trying to make himself appear more presentable.

Her mother's question caught him off guard. Taking a deep breath, he said, "Look, Mrs..." he realized he didn't even know Kam's last name, and left it at just 'Mrs.' "You...might want to sit down...It's complicated." He bit his lip, frowning slightly. He wanted to place his arms around Kam, but knew from her previous comments that she felt uncomfortable with that. That, and he was unsure if there was a father in the house, who might be protective of his daughter.

"For starters," Allistair began, "Vincent is a personal friend of mine and I can guarantee he is a respectable and responsible adult. I am deeply sorry that I haven't been able to get Kam back to you sooner, but things sort of..." he searched for the words, "came up."

When Alistair told her mother that she might want to sit down, she grabbed her mother's hand and started the walk back to the Living room. It was Adjacent from the kitchen...the kitchen that delicious meals came out of. Right now she could smell the residual scent of a Homemade Pizza. It was the best in town! Or atleast she thought so. The smell also reminded her how long it had been since she had, had some. It made her sad that she wouldn't be able to eat the homemade cooking anymore, since she was on a blood only diet. The red head snapped back to attention when, as they walked, Alistair told her who Vincent was. That he was a good person, that he was sorry he had not brought her back sooner, that things came up. Instantly, her mother stopped and whirled around, looking at him. The older woman looked at him skeptically.

"Came...up?" she asked, frowing and suddenly looking at him like something had happened to Kam. That the reason that they came back was for this reason. But the younger vampire tugged her on before she could ask any other questions.

They walked into the living room and there was an arm chair, love seat, and couch. She ushered her mother over to the couch and then sat near her on the Love seat, patting the seat next to her to encourage Alistair to sit next to her. Once she did, she looked over at her mother and bit her lip.

"You know I would never lie to you...so please, just believe me and Alistair, believe what we are going to tell you because as wild as it is...this, this is the truth..."

Though Allistair sat next to Kam, he didn't touch her, instead letting her speak. When she was finished, he wasted no time in starting what he hoped wouldn't be a mistake.

"Kam and I are...vampires...There's no other way to say it. Vincent it one, too, and he turned me several weeks ago, when I, uh, disappeared. I was forced to turn Kam a few days ago, because I was certain she would die if I did otherwise. I am truly sorry for doing so. But I honestly know that it was the right thing to do, even now. I know it sounds crazy...Kam hardly believed me when I told her. Kam here," he continued, looking to her endearingly for a moment, "she is exactly the same daughter you had last week. Nothing more has changed aside from the obvious ones. Please...don't make this any harder on her, make it seem that it's normal...when I was, uh, turned, I was practically alone through all of it, and it made it more difficult than it needed to be..." He trailed off, sighing slightly. It never got easy, breaking the news to someone that they were vampires.

How was it that two different people were saying the same Bizzare thing? It was absurd, and felt like an insult to her eldest daughter's memory. A frown came across the mother's lips as she continued to listen to what that young man was saying. He expected her to believe that he was a vampire and that her daughter was one now too. That he was forced to turn her and believed it was the right thing to do. But told her that Kam was the same person she had always been and would always be. Alistair also asked her to not make things more difficult , to make it seem normal. She waited until he was finnished then looked at him disapprovingly.

"Alistair...When I recieved my Daughter's autopsy report it said that all the blood in her body was 'dried up' and the only wound to be found was on her neck. As much as I appricate you bringing my daughter home...Please don't joke about this. There is no such thing as vampires...."

The woman wanted to look upset but there was tears forming in her eyes. Kam got up from her seat and went over to sit next to her mom and touched her mother's arm.

"Alistair has been taking care of me...he isn't lying. In fa-"

She was cut off when the front door shut and a tall, well muscled man entered the room. He had blue eyes like Kam's used to be, and military cut brown eyes. He was dressed in a police uniform. The man looked at Alistair suspiciously, frowning a bit.

"Maddison...dear...what is Fransisco's boy doing her-" he stopped as he met Kam's eyes.

Kam jumped to her feet, her eyes widely smiling happily. "Dad!"

God...he's a policeman... Allistair's heart felt like it had hit the ground when Kam's father entered the home. He tried not to let his apprehension show on his face, tried to tell himself that he was only her father, what the worst that could happen was, and where the nearest exit point was, just in case. A second time, however, he couldn't help but make a disapproving face when he was called Fransisco's son. However, he was glad that no other questions about him were asked, and he was able to breathe properly again, not up to answering questions like that yet.

Looking to Kam's mother, he tried to show her that he wasn't lying about his and Kam's new 'condition' by opening his mouth slightly, showing his fangs, trying to be as discreet as possible. Checking the time quickly, guessing that if he and Kam were late he would start flipping tables, he looked back up to Kam, glad that she was happy to be around her family again.

Kam ran over to her father, hugging him tightly around the waist. Her smile was so big she thought it might crack her cheeks, burying her face into his chest for a few moments. Her father then wrapped her in his arms as well, just as tight. So she didn't see Alistair Flash his mother his fangs. Her mother's face paled, eyes widening. The older woman started to visibly shake, but she squeezed her hands into fists, looking away from Alistair. Kam then Pulled her face away from his chest and looked up at him. Tears formed in her eyes and slowly fell, dripping down her cheeks.

"I missed you so much Daddy..." she said, much like a small child would address her father. But for the most part it was for affection, showing how close she still was with her father. He leaned down and kissed the top of her head and she let him go, turning to him, glancing over at Alistair who looked uneasy now. Looking back to her father she motioned to Alistair.

"This is Alistair A-" she said but was inturrupted by her father, finnishing her sentance.

"Aurelio, Alistair Aurelio...I know sweet heart. HIs father is the town drunk and the police have been called regularly to his house for Domestic Abuse and Child Abuse Accusations...He has been missing for about a month...Why is he here?" he asked, looking over to Alistair after seeing his wife go pale.

Allistair felt his anger flare up. The way Kam's father spoke about him...it was like he had been the one who should be locked up for abuse charges. However, he forced it down, wanting to attempt to make a good impression. Even though it seemed that Kam's father already had one.

"Look," he said, when he finally thought he could speak without an angry inflection. "I brought your daughter back...She isn't harmed for the most part. No matter who Fransisco is, or who you might think I am, she's back safe and sound." He purposefully left out that they would need to leave soon, knowing it would be bad to say such a thing, especially after reuniting Kam's family.

The man looked at Alistair with a stern frown as he listened to him then let out a sigh, stepping forwards. He tried to chase the frown away ans shook his head.

"And I appriciate that very much...and I mean no offense. But you were declared a missing person and with all the murders going on we had to assume you were dead as well. Along with my daughter. Despite you and Kambrilee are class mates, I don't believe that the odds of meeting up, considering the circumstances, are very good...what is going on here?"

Kam bit her lip then spoke.

"Alistair saved me from the man who murdered my sister...so please don't be to harsh on him. Alistair is a very good person..." she saidm looking over to him sitting on the couch. "And he has taken care of me..."

Her father's eye browns raised but he stayed quiet as Kam resumed talking.

"We told Mom about everything, so your going to have to ask her...But for now I need to go pack my things..." She walked over to Alistair then leaned in, pressing a kiss to his lips, a playful smirk coming across her lips as she looked at him, pulling away. The red head leaned in and whispered to him, saying: "I'll be right back, I don't need any help so please just stay here with my parents."

She then backed away and walked towards the stairs, taking the first three easily before just walking up the rest.

Parting his lips to call after Kam when she ran for the stairs, he shut it when it became apparent that she had left him with her parents. Biting his lip, he looked at the both of them, wondering what he should say. Feeling the silence stretch on, he tried to cease it with, "Uh...Kam is very strong. I promise to take good care of her, no matter what. Again, I am sorry that we couldn't come sooner, but I will assure you now that I will protect her. I will never hurt her,for any reason." He attempted a smile that was supposed to be reassuring, but Allistair couldn't tell. Adjusting his sweatshirt self-consciously, he realized that he probably wasn't the face of a perfect boyfriend and wished he had been able to wear nicer clothes.

"So that so...?" asked the man after Alistair stopped speaking. But his voice wasn't suspicious or condecending. He walked over to the couch and sat down next to his wife, looking to Alistair.

"I am normally a laid back person Alistair...but with everyone disappearing, I think that you understand why everyone seems more uptight. Just recently My daughter's boyfriend Corey and his brother went missing as well. Anyways, As I see it you and my daughter are dating. I don't hold the abuse charges against you. But I am letting you know, that she isn't to be anywhere around that Drunk. Should I find out that she has...there is a reason I am the chief of Police. I have seen people come from horrible situations turn out to be the best people I know. Please don't prove me to be wrong about you...I am trusting you with my most precious and only remaining child. If you as so much make he-"

Then his wife grabbed his hand and looked over at Alistair, still pale.

"Surely those are fake...there is no way that they can't be real...despite your explination it-it is against nature...to drink human blood...to k-kill people..." her eyes went wide with realization as he husband watched on, confused. "All those people Dying...no, no..." she shook her head. "You wouldn't..."

As if I would, thought Allistair. He was about to say, "I'd never take Kam anywhere near Fransisco," but Kam's mother spoke first, slowly figuring out what the deaths might mean.

"I didn't," he answered, frowning slightly. "Not all of them. The ones I did...it was inevitable, but I still hold the guilt on myself. There are si--" Allistair had almost included McKay, "no, five, others like me..." He bit his lip, not liking what he was going to have to say next. "Kam is a vampire...I had to turn her in order to make sure she remained alive. I take full responsibility of every person she has needed to kill." Just as the words escaped his mouth, he realized what he was saying and who he was saying it to, and was instantly on guard, ready to jump up and run at the nearest stray move.

Unconsciously, he checked the doors and windows, listened for Kam moving around upstairs, prepared to get her and leave if they needed to.

The police officer watched in suprise as Alistair spoke of the deaths that had been happening for the past month or so. But instead of having a general knowladge of the homicide's he seemed to have a more detailed knowladge. And he even admitted to killing some of the people himself and there were five other people like him who had killed these people. Then he heard the last thing he had expected to hear. Alistair told him that Kambrilee was a vampire and had also killed some of these people. Her father's jaw clenched and a frown came across his lips, the teenager looking around to check for exits, if he needed to get away.

"You think I should let you go now that you admitted to some of the murders? And saying she killed some of these people? Not exactly a great foot in the door to date my daughter Aurelio...Murder is murder. This 'Vampire' get up...it justifies this as a need? Nobody has ever seen a real Vampire, how do we know that this isn't some silly costume? I have an open mind, make me a believer and you can walk out this door with Kambrilee without a fuss. I will even keep my mouth shut about what you just told me...if you don't then my crusier is in the drive way and the station is open twenty- four seven..."

Allistair felt his heartbeat increase as Kam's father said that if he didn't prove his vampirism, he would probably be arrested, and he couldn't, under any circumstances, lead police to Vincent's house. "You think I'd joke about this?" he asked, clenching his hands in his lap. "Look. There's not an easy way to prove it. Kam hardly did when I told her. But..." he opened his mouth again, showing his fangs again. "These are real," he said, gesturing towards them, "and they pierce skin like knives...Kam has them, too." He bit his lip, frowning.

"If that's not enough proof..." Allistair took in a shaky breath, wondering why he and Kam had even gone there, "then you can arrest me. I'll go without a fight."

"Dad...your not arrresting anyone." she said as she heard the comment, coming down the stairs.

The woman walked around the corner and set down two big duffle bags. One was stuffed to the brim with clothes, the other wish a few select belongings that she wanted to bring with her. The red head came back out to the living room, standing between the couches...a slight frown on her lips. She flashed her father her fangs as well, looking into his eyes with her unique red one's.

"If you arrest him then you have to take me with him. Yes, we did kill people...I killed two men and I don't know exactly how many he has fed from. But it wasn't because I wanted to...I became this for my own protection..." she glanced over to Alistair then to her Parents. " So please...just...try and make him feel welcome. Hopefully...He will be around for a long, long time..."

She smiled softly and walked over to Alistair and sat next to him, laying her head on his shoulder, leaning against him whipsering. "I'm sorry Alistair...I hoped they would make you feel welcome
..."

Allistair felt like he could breathe again when Kam interrupted them, his heart bursting with love for her. When she sat down next to him, he gently wrapped his arm around her waist, kissing the top of her head when she rested it on his shoulder. "It's okay...I suppose since you met my father, I should return the favor."

He was still worried, though, about her father, watching him warily, still tense and ready to fight or flight. His chest was still constricted with the fear of being arrested, and he tried imagining how he would tell his father what had happened. Hey, I got arrested for bringing my girlfriend back to her house? Obviously not.