Invaluable Error

Kam had felt the tension in the air when she entered the room, the bulk of it eminating from her father and her boyfriend. But once she was next to him, Alistair wrapped his arm around her and kissed the top of her head. Despite her willingness to show him the affection she had once been so uncomfortable showing in public, the man next to her was still so tense. But before she could say anytthing more to him, her mother offered her boyfriend a shaky smile.

"S-So...W-Where have you two been staying? H-How did you Meet this other man you are staying with? Vincent?"

Her father got a suspicious look on his face...but his wife sqeezed his hand, digging her nails into his skin as if it was a warning.

"In the smaller town about an hour out of the city," Allistair answered, "Vincent's got a house. I met him when he started visiting my, uh, boss. He wanted a few paintings commissioned. My boss, Rachelle, is the owner of the building further in the city that burned down a few weeks ago. She's been staying with him since then, and I sort of...followed?" He offered a slight smile, glad that it wasn't as tense as it had been. However, he still noticed the look on Kam's father's face, and gently held Kam's hand, squeezing it softly. "He's got his own, uh, son, too, so I've been helping out with that..."

As the conversation skated towards normal, casual, her mother seemed to relax more. Not willing to fight them on weather they were "real" vampires anymore. She listened to him speak, nodding and smiling a bit more when she heard where they were living. The older woman knew where that town was. It was a beautiful, small little town that people loved to raise their families in...up until a little while ago. Then he spoke of the artist down town and was suprised that she was this teenager's boss. In the times she had been into the building she had not see hide or hair of this boy. Only a pretty, sleep deprived artist. Once Alistair told her of the child, a full blown genuine smile came across her face.

"So that is where she went..." she said, motioning to a visible painting that hang in the dining room across from the living room. "It is a shame, Miss. Rachelle is very talented. And since then some people havn't been saying kind things about her. But As I see it...it wasn't her fault. I hope she regains her feet again soon. Anyone would be lucky to have such talent hanging on their walls...But I never knew that you worked there with you, though she did mention from time to time that she had an assistant....But besides that, it seems you two have gotten yourselves into things that we can't afford to. How can we help you...anything...anything at all...? For you...Kambrilee...Miss. Rachelle and Mr. Vincent and his son?"

"You don't need to," Allistair said quickly. "I know Rachelle had a lot saved up, and Vincent had his own funds, too, so we've been managing. I just know that in a few months or so, she'll be moving to Russia, after the business with her building are cleared up. Unless Kam wants anything, I can't think of much. Vincent's son is excited about Christmas, though, and I'm not sure how I'm gonna make that happen..." He smiled again, trying to keep it smaller so that his fangs wouldn't show as much. Looking at the picture Kam's mother had gestured to, he instantly recognized it as one that she had been working on when he first started working for her, one that she had spent days working nonstop to finish. A couple times, he would need to remind her to eat and sleep while she was working on it. When the painting had finished, she had passed out on her bed for the better part of a day. Smiling again as he remembered it, he looked back to Kam's parents, glad that it wasn't too tense anymore.

Once he did finish talking, Kam bit her lip, looking down at her lap before looking over to her mother.

"Yes, there is something auctually. Alistair has a point...Damien is Vincent's son. I don't know exactly how old he is but he is young...and he has never had a christmas before. I told him about Santa Claus and it would really bother me to see Damien wake up on Chirstmas Morning and not have What I promised Santa would bring him...If you could, and I will pay you back, I need to borrow some money to Make that Christmas happed for that little boy..."

She smiled softly and looked from her mom to her dad. By now his frown had faded and he got to his feet, walking over to the two.

"Don't worry about paying us back...just think of it as something to get by on..." He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. The man reached in and dropped two one hundred dollar bills into Alistair's hand. Heading back to his seat he spoke again. "I wish I had more I could lend out right now...just make that happen for the little boy...and keep whatever is left for yourselves..."

He sat back down in his seat as Kam glanced at the clock. It was just past ten O'Clock. She could feel her heart drop. They would have to leave soon...Much sooner than she had hoped.

Allistair felt his breath catch in his throat when Kam's father gave him money. He had never had this much to spend on another person before, and he immediately said, "Thank you. I'll be sure to get Damien anything he could possibly want for Christmas." He smiled softly, before following Kam's gaze to the clock. It was late...and Vincent would definitely not like it if they were late. Sliding the money into his pocket, he thanked her parents again, unbelievably happy that he would be able to make Christmas happen for Damien. Everything was happening around him, and he probably had no clue. Or if he did, he wasn't letting on, and was probably bottling it up. If that was the case, then any provocation could make him crack, and then they'd have a bigger problem on their hands.

Leaning over to Kam, he said, "We're gonna have to leave soon...whenever you're ready, okay?"

Kam watched in suprise as she watched her father drop a portion of his salery into Alistair's hands. Two hundred dollars...more than enough money to make Damien the best christmas ever. A christmas any child would be envious of. Once she saw Alistair finally smile at her father, she relaxed, her lover slipping the money into his pocket. The woman was glad that he was happy, especilly around her parents. With time...she knew that she wouldn't be able see them again. But while she could, the stubborn girl was determined to make sure they all got along. Once his gaze fell to the clock with hers and he leaned over, telling her they would have to leave soon, her heart dropped to the floor. After swallowing a lump in her throat she forced a smile for her parents, pretending absolutly nothing was wrong. That Aldwin didn't exsist and he wasn't driving a wedge between her and her family.

"Thank you Mom...Dad...but Alistair and I have a long drive and Vincent is expecting us back before midnight...so we have to go."

Kam and her family rose to thier feet and she went over to her mom, saying goodbye. But then the red head turned to her father and hugged him tightly. Tears formed in her eyes but she was able to swallow them back so far. After the man let go of his daughter and in a voice, threatening to crack with tears, and tears forming in the corner of his eyes looked Alistair right in the eyes. Standing tall and firm in his spot.

"She is all I got left...anything happends to her and I will never forgive you Mr. Aurelio. I've been on the force longer than you have been alive so If worse come to worse, I will know where to find you. You make her happy...take responsibility and Provide for her while she is in your care. I am trusting you so do not prove me wrong..."

After holding his gaze long enough to get a response from Alistair he turned...Kam doing the same but towards the door where her bags were waiting. Trying her best to fight back the tears, atleast until she was somewhere where her family couldn't see her cry.

Allistair met Kam's father's gaze with his own, silent as he spoke to him. A pang of fear striking through his heart when her father mentioned knowing where he would be at, he tried to force it down and convince himself that he wouldn't get arrested. "I won't," he finally answered, when her father finished.

Turning with Kam, he saw how close she was to crying, and placed a comforting hand on her back, rubbing it gently. Picking up both of her bags, he held open the door for her before going to his car, which was sitting on the curb. Unlocking it and starting the engine, he went to the bag, opening the trunk. Carefully avoiding the urn enclave, he placed the bags on the coffin deck, shutting the door afterwards.

Hopping into the front seat, he waits for Kam to do anything more before waving slightly at her parents, giving them a slight smile. Driving away, he places a hand on Kam's shoulder, knowing how hard it must be to have to leave her parents.

Kambrilee had not seen her father tear up, not since her little brother had been hit by that car those many years ago. Just looking at her father and the pain in his eyes she wondered how different her life had been, had her brother avoided death that day and lived. Would she have ever met Alistair at school? Would she have ever been turned or even heard of the man Aldwin? Shaking the thoughts away she snapped back to attention when Alistair confirmed to her father that he wouldn't hurt her..that he would take care of her. In relation this only made her more happy...but she already knew that. Kam had no doubts that her loving boyfriend would dote on her. But What she didn't know was...after she left...would she ever see her family again? Would Aldwin find them? Or after all this could they come back and see her family before disappearing again without a trace..? Not knowing caused her anxiety and tears to fall down her flawless skin. But the time came to leave and Alistair took her bags as she yet again turned her back towards her family and went out to the car. Her shoulders shuttering in silent tears as he gently rubbed her back to try and soothe her. While he put her bags into the trunk, she shakily climbed into the car, closing the door behind her. It wasn't until Alistair was in did soft whimpers of sadness escape her lips. As they drove back to Vincent's house, she bit her lip and tried despretly to stop the tears. Finally about half way though the trip...she did. Leaning back into her seat she just looked at Alistair and wondered about their future. Hoping whatever happened in the days to follow...would leave them both with a future to look to.

(Sorry It's not the best post...>.< I'll do better next time!)

Out of the corner of his eye, Allistair watched Kam, frowning slightly, wishing he knew how hard it must be to have to leave your family. He had never done that, not really, and he had no way to comfort her because of it. Biting his lip, he tried to lighten the mood and said, "It...could've been worse. I think your dad was about to drive me down to the station when you came in..." Chuckling softly, he added, "Does he do that to all of your boyfriends?" Knowing he wasn't being entirely funny, especially given the circumstances, he was silent for the rest of the drive, keeping his eyes on the road and the clock, wishing he knew where he had put his cds so that the car wouldn't be so quiet.

They weren't going to make it back to the house in time. It became painfully obvious as the numbers on the clock read 10:58 and they were still at least twenty minutes out. He could only hope that Vincent didn't get too mad, and then he could help Kam find a place for Kam to keep her things.

During the ride home, the woman kept her gaze glued to the scenery that flew past, quickly falling far behind the car. She didn't feel much like speaking or discussing the events that had just taken place at her former home. It really was sweet of him to try and make the situation less tense...stressful. But no matter how many words were exhanged now...what was done was done. For all she knew the next time she saw her parents would be at viewing. Or maybe she wouldn't ever see them again...not if it meant that Alistair had to choose his blood relatives or her. In truth...she didn't know if she could live with whatever choice he made tomorrow. If he killed his father she had that on her shoulders, her concious. If he went after her and killed her instead, notwithstanding anything he had said about not lossing her, then it would break her heart. Leaving her in emotional pieces and quite possibly physical ones as well.

The thought made a lump catch in her throat but she swallowed it, dismissing the through as she sat up in her seat, looking at the clock in his car. It was almost eleven thirty as he would park his car. Kam zipped up her coat again and opened the door, not even waiting for him to shut off the car. It was pitch black out but with who she was now, the night was as easy or easier to navigate than the daytime. The red head, needing a little bit of breathing space to finnish gathering her head, slowly started the short fourth mile walk back to Vincent's house. Even wrapped in it's feather down folds, she shivered from the cold...and whatever was out there...lurking in the dark woods of the tiny town.

Allistair was slightly disappointed when she didn't respond, but didn't push it, instead trying to come up with his own idea to figure out how to fix everything. Just as he was getting a good idea on how to complete it, they were back at the house, letting Kam walk ahead of him while he shut off the car, getting her things out of the back. Leaving the doors unlocked so that the locks wouldn't freeze, he followed her from afar, ready to drop her things and run for her if the slightest thing came out of the woods.

Following her inside, he announced to the house, "Vincent, we're home. Sorry we're late...lost track of time..."

The small trek down to the house was chilling. Not only in the weather but she could sense the ugly, blood lusting preasance that lurked deep inside of that forest. Only just a month ago the woman was living a normal life. And so were the citizens of the city and this tiny, little town. She just hoped that all this would be over soon because she didn't know how much more of Aldwin's cruelty and games she could take. Finally they got to the house and she pushed the door open, letting it stay open for Alistair to come in behind her. As Alistair announced that they were sorry for being late coming home, she scurried behind him and shut the door, locking it tightly. With a sigh she looked over at Alistair, having gathered herself togeather.

"I don't care where you put them...as long as they arn't in the way..."

She then tucked her firey hair out of her face before wondering off to go to the living room. As she arrived there...she heard heavy coughing that was obviously trying to be covered up. It didn't sound like Alistair...or Vincent but she couldn't quite place it.

As soon as he heard it, Allistair's blood ran cold. The coughing was definitely male, and Damien was too young to have a cough like that, much less hide it. Quickly setting down Kam's things, careful not to break anything, he asked the house, "Cory, is that you...? D-Dante?" He didn't think it was Cory, at least, who would probably be asleep at this time of night.

Walking into the hallway, Allistair tried to push down the sense of dread he was feeling, trying to tell himself that everything was fine, whoever it was had probably only caught a cold. Knowing how flawed his logic was, he shakes away the voice telling him that something had to be wrong, though by the way his heart was pounding, it would be difficult to convince anyone of that.

Vincent was jerked awake as he heard Alistair and Kam come in through the front door. He had dozed off next to Rachelle. The man sat up and streached as he slid off the side of the bed, a yawn slipping off his lips. Suddenly he heard a heavy cough...somthing he had not heard in a long time. His eyes opened in alarm and he quickly got to he feet and walked out into the hall way. It was then he saw Alistair coming up the hall, his heart pounding.

"Was that you...?" he asked, blinking in suprise and coming closer to him.

==============================================================================================================

The older vampire had excused himself rather early from chatting with his son to go back to the room. Lucikly there was somewhere for him to lay down because his head was spinning....feeling Ill. He had not fed for atleast a few days...and while he was here he did not want to feed from the local population. He laid back onto the couch and closed his eyes, all the while patting his pocket, pulling something out. He took a drink of it. It was something he had recieved from Aldwin about a week before coming out here. Aldwin claimed it was supposed to supress the thirst...and it did. But as of late it was making him feel like he had been on the hunt of his exsistance...tierd. Slowly he closed his eyes and dozed off. Once he woke again he tried to take a breathe but found he couldn't. In alarm he sat up and gasped as few times before being able to take in a breathe. As air entered his lungs, he coughed heavily...an unpleasant feeling he didn't care too much for. Dante tried to cover up his cough but wasn't completly sucessful. Cursing himself he groaned and laid back down...hoping he didn't wake his son.

Striding towards the back room and ignoring Vincent, he threw open the door, seeing his father lying down on the bed. "Are you alright?" he asked, not even bothering to see if he was awake or sleeping or not. "I heard coughing..."

No matter what, he didn't want to lose his father, and was taking special precautions to keep him. A cough could mean anything. It could be nothing, but it also could be a problem. He had no way of knowing, but he wasn't about to take any chances. Shaking him gently until he appeared awake, he repeated his question, frowning slightly.

When the door opened, his eyes shot open once again as well. He heard Alistair speaking...saying something but he couldn't quite make out what it was supposed to be. That bothered him...that his normally excellent hearing was failing him from only yards away. What was in what Aldwin had given him...he should have asked. But at the time he didn't see any need to. Nor did he see any reason to Not trust his old friend but it was apperent now that he could not be trusted in the least. Finally, once he felt himself being shaken awake he managed to open his eyes and nod, though looking somewhat more sickly than earlier.

"Y-Yeah...I am fine...It's nothing really." he said, grasping the flask in his hand that was rested to the side. "My apologies if I woke you...or bothered you or Kam..."

"Kam and I just got back from meeting with her parents...You didn't bother us at all," Allistair told his father, worry in his eyes. "J-just...be careful, okay?" He smiled softly, before straightening and leaving, shutting the door behind him before looking to Vincent.

"You know when you first turned me and was telling about...the vampire hunters? Wouldn't this many deaths bring them here...? I'm worried about Kam..." he trailed off, keeping certain to keep his voice low so that hopefully they wouldn't be overheard. "Is Kam in danger?"

((Sorry for the short replies recently, I'm dead tired T.T))

Dante smiled softly at his son's comment about meeting with Kam's parents before nodding.

"Oh I will...I'm the last person you need to worry about..." he said as Alistair was leaving. After the door was shut behind him and heaved a big sigh. wondering if his last comment was true or not.

===========================================================================

Vincent just waited for Alistair to reappear from his father's room before going to ask something. But then the younger vampire beat him to the punch by asking a question about Kam and her safety....and the vampire hunters. Wondering if this many deaths in one area would bring them here. With a regretful, heavy sigh he nodded, biting his lip out of habit.

"Yeah...that is quite the possibility. Since we have had to hunt reletivly close to this home....I am honestly surprised that they haven't come by now. Usually they are quick to awnser to something like this...I'll keep watch when I can...and just watch your back. They don't kill on the spot...they will usually torture you first, make you wish you were dead. It isn't a pretty sight, not at all...It's got me worried since Rachelle and Kam need to feed more reguarly than us...but with anymore deaths around here anytime in the near future and this house will be a death trap for every one of us...except Cory. Even then they might..." he said doubtfully.

Allistair felt chills run up his back as Vincent told him that they were all probably going to be in danger sometime soon. He couldn't help but quickly become paranoid, placing phantoms in every moment he had an uneasy feeling while he and Kam had been out. He didn't like the idea of being tortured, especially not Kam or Rachelle being the recipients of it. "Will we have to leave soon, then?" he asked Vincent, worried that he would lose his father as soon as he gained him. Frowning slightly, he held the older vampire's gaze, wanting answers and the knowledge that they might have to pick up and leave at any time, or that he would need to constantly look over his shoulder.