Idlaide - The Rays of Fortune OOC

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Actually, I did not have any of my wine...yet. So that is not the reason as to why I have a headache. :P

I think I might have stopped getting alerts from the IC Thread....

*Facepalms*

Go to the IC thread and look at the top right corner, right above the posts. If it says 'watch thread', then you are not watching it and won't receive alerts from it.
I auto-watch threads when I post in them, it just doesn't always send alerts - I think it happens when you've not clicked o one alert, then it doesn't show you more until you've read the thread again.

I have just noticed that when I auto-watch threads that I post in, I sometimes won't receive any alerts from them until I actually click that option that I mentioned.

Hey just wondering if there's a sheet where all the characters are listed.

No @PostingOwl, there isn't right now. I don't really know how to set that up. The lobster though, is from Aguaceles, specifically from your character's parents, in case you need reminding. Max doesn't have the heart to break that to you, since he's worried about some kind of negative reaction, so if there could be some way to make that known?

Also, @egglegg, if you want to post during the meal scene that would be great. We can find your body in the morning. Maybe if you connect with a few people the lesson will be a little harder.

Just going to let you all know that I have nothing but opening shifts this week at work. This means that I will not be able to reply until the afternoon or later. But I will do my best to catch up with any posts that are left during my absence.

Okay I shall think of a way to incorporate it, though maybe not tonight... I'm kinda sleepy.

By the way, @Disgruntled Goat brought up something in a post that I realize I should probably address: why the Rays are inside when the duration of most days is less than the time on the counters.

Ellesandis has a 40 hour rotation period (day), for starts, so the night lasts so long that the counters could hit zero in their sleep. Therefore, they need to stay close enough to their Rays to prevent this from happening. Also, Ellesandis is a moon, which means its concept of day and night is a bit wonky. When it's behind its gas giant, there are periods of up to four consecutive days of pure night. There is no period of permanent day as Ellesandis rotates around its giant. A day in which sunlight basks on its surface lasts anywhere between sixteen and twenty hours, varying by position.

All this is bound to screw up with the body's natural rhythms, so staying close to your Ray and watching the countdown on your wrist is more reliable than how much time you feel has passed or what angle the small sun is at. Also, since the sun is further away, Ellesandis has a rampant greenhouse effect going to keep it from freezing. The warmest it ever gets is around sixty degrees.

It's possible I'll put a lot of this into a post later.

Ellesandis has a 40 hour rotation period (day), for starts, so the night lasts so long that the counters could hit zero in their sleep. Therefore, they need to stay close enough to their Rays to prevent this from happening. Also, Ellesandis is a moon, which means its concept of day and night is a bit wonky. When it's behind its gas giant, there are periods of up to four consecutive days of pure night. There is no period of permanent day as Ellesandis rotates around its giant. A day in which sunlight basks on its surface lasts anywhere between sixteen and twenty hours, varying by position.

All this is bound to screw up with the body's natural rhythms, so staying close to your Ray and watching the countdown on your wrist is more reliable than how much time you feel has passed or what angle the small sun is at. Also, since the sun is further away, Ellesandis has a rampant greenhouse effect going to keep it from freezing. The warmest it ever gets is around sixty degrees.

Oh... That makes a lot more sense. As for my post, can we just say that it has begun to go dark or do you need me to re-write bits of it?

I'd read your post and thought it was fine as it was. Marissa's never been off Paipas before, right? And she's certainly never been to Ellesandis. Her misunderstanding of Max's reasoning makes total sense.

That said, I should note that there's not much wildlife on the moon. You might find deer, maybe a couple wild sheep, and a bear or two, but the animal population is much lower than the plant one. You might have some diverse sea life, however, as fish tend to reproduce fast. I'm thinking of adding salmon actually.

I'd read your post and thought it was fine as it was. Marissa's never been off Paipas before, right? And she's certainly never been to Ellesandis. Her misunderstanding of Max's reasoning makes total sense.

That said, I should note that there's not much wildlife on the moon. You might find deer, maybe a couple wild sheep, and a bear or two, but the animal population is much lower than the plant one. You might have some diverse sea life, however, as fish tend to reproduce fast. I'm thinking of adding salmon actually.
Uh... Marissa is 23, and she left Paipas when she was about 16. She's never been to Ellesandis, but she's definitely been off of Paipas, and I kind of hinted in the last post that she hadn't been back to Paipas since she left it.

She wouldn't know how long a "day" was on Ellesandis, and she's used to places where rats and insects are abundant now, so she tends to assume that most places have the same vermin. As for understanding Max, well, she arrived when it was bright enough and now it's going/gone dark. Even with that, she'll still only sleep for six to eight hours as normal and then wake up wondering why it's pitch black. I mean, as Max hasn't told any of them about these things, I'm sure she won't be the only one not to know what Ellesandis is like. It's all good.

Hm...Hadn't thought of some of that. The night time will make things a bit difficult, but I guess I can use the Rays' lights to illuminate a field for training.

Hm...Hadn't thought of some of that. The night time will make things a bit difficult, but I guess I can use the Rays' lights to illuminate a field for training.
Here I was thinking that you'd created these 40 hour days intentionally so that we would have to do some training in the dark!

Okay, I know I should have, and I feel embarrassed being caught, but no. It wasn't until I read your post that I started thinking about this, and by the next morning I had the timetable for Ellesandis worked out.

Also, so long as we're on subjects that embarrass me, I looked through the paper I originally put my idea for Idlaide on and discovered something a few days ago. I spelled the name wrong. There's only supposed to be one "I". Facepalm!

So clearly, I'm only good at pretending to know what I'm doing. ;)

Okay, I know I should have, and I feel embarrassed being caught, but no. It wasn't until I read your post that I started thinking about this, and by the next morning I had the timetable for Ellesandis worked out.

Also, so long as we're on subjects that embarrass me, I looked through the paper I originally put my idea for Idlaide on and discovered something a few days ago. I spelled the name wrong. There's only supposed to be one "I". Facepalm!

So clearly, I'm only good at pretending to know what I'm doing. ;)
This is roleplay. We're all pretending. Why should you be any different, just because you're in charge? :P

To be honest, I keep going back to Marissa's character sheet to check details. I couldn't remember her age, for one thing.

This is roleplay. We're all pretending. Why should you be any different, just because you're in charge? :P
I guess you've got a point. Still, as the GM, I should have a little more of an idea what's going on. I just don't have a lot of experience being the one in charge of a large group like this.

And I just looked back. Your character is on the first page of the OOC and she's 23, one of the oldest here, I think.

Yeah, that's right. I wanted her to be older than the others, so that it was clear she hadn't just finished school and signed up for a Ray, but she'd actually had some time to travel around, work a few jobs and learned to think for herself. She hasn't been in school since she was a 16 year old living on Paipas, so she's had 7 years of working and doing stuff. I figure it might go some way to explaining why she's more bitter than a number of the other characters.