Hunger Games: Begin

• Thread starter Jae- The nonexistant
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Areiz pulled her knife out and held it tightly, starting back. Something dark moved on the other side of the bank and she stopped, watching it. Only another bird.. She thought to herself, only half-relieved. She made it back to Lirin and Areia and she took her jacket off, setting it on the ground and moving the blueberries from the pockets out onto the jacket. "Tada. That's all I could find for a pretty good ways." She said, sitting down. She took about five and ate them, one by one, before stopping. She didn't feel like eating the rest, she'd let Lirin and Areia get them. For some reason, the only thing eating her was the feeling of being watched, but her only answer were the birds. The cut on her arm from earlier was clear, but it had healed a little already, no longer bleeding.

Lirin let Areia have most of the remaining blueberries, though he knew he should eat more to get his strength up. Just as he was taking the last blueberry towards his lips, an arrow thunked into the bark of a tree next to him. Jumping, he immediately got to his feet, scooping Areia into his arms as another arrow whispered by his ear. Feeling adrenaline pumping through him, he threw a glance at Areiz before running as fast as he could through the trees nearby, his heart beating its way out of his chest. At that moment, he didn't care about Areiz, only focusing on getting Areia out of there. Praying that he didn't trip or his foot got caught in a tree root, he forced himself to keep running as another arrow was shot into the trees next to him. Thankfully, whoever was shooting wasn't a good shot with a bow and arrow.

As soon as the first arrow hit Areiz was on her feet. She stepped back and saw the glint of steel at the tip of another arrow. Quickly she scaled a tree to where the branches intersected. Climbing between trees she found the archer hidden in the bushes. The knife left her hand before it fully registered she was throwing it. The girl turned and released and arrow as the knife went through her head. Areiz practically fell out of the tree dodging the arrow that skimmed her shoulder. She dropped and hit the ground feet-first. It took her a moment to approach the girl and retrieve the knife. The girl stared at her.. And blinked. Areiz gasped and stepped backwards. The girl made a weird noise and Areiz took off to the tree and went back up. She didn't move once she reached the hidden branches. One minute passed.. A second minute.. Five minutes. Areiz made her way back to their camping spot and picked up her jacket, holding it in one hand as she leaned against the back of a tree, the river behind her. She stared at the branches above. -How am I still alive?- she silently asked the trees. No answer. She took a deep breath and stood up, blowing the whistle softly. -Where did they go?-

As he was running, his wrists began hurting, and he had to stop. Breathing heavily, he gently set Areia down, leaning against a tree. Immeidately, he knew that was a mistake. Another arrow shot next to his head, into the tree next to him. The arrow was so close...he knew that whoever was shooting at him this time was a much better shot. If he stayed there, the next shot would hit him.

Against the sunlight, the glint of an arrowhead caught his eyes, and Lirin dove to avoid another arrow. When he was back on his feet, he took out his knife, trying to remember where the head would be on a crouching person inside a tree. Taking quick aim, he threw the knife, watching as it sped towards whoever was in the tree.

The sickening sound of the knife sinking into skin, followed by a thump and a scream rang out. Following the sound, Lirin found the tribute who had been shooting him on the ground, his knife up to its hilt in his upper chest, where his lungs should be. Clenching his hands, he reached down to take out the knife just as blood spilled from the tribute's mouth.

"I'm sorry," Lirin said, wincing as the other tribute's eyes went dead and he let out a groan as he died.

A scream rang out and Areiz froze. Nothing responded. She stood up slowly and looked around. Empty. She blew the whistle again, but picked up er bag and started following the river. She held her knife tightly, the bag was slung over one shoulder. Her heart was racing as the birds overhead where chattering again.

After hearing Areiz's whistle, Lirin didn't respond, still looking down at the boy he had killed as the cannon went off. After a few minutes, he slowly took out the whistle and blew it before turning to Areia. "Let's go. We should find Areiz before anything else happens..." He leaned down, picking her up and walking in the direction that he had heard Areiz's whistle.

Areiz turned to the sound of Lirin's whistle. They're okay.. She took a deep, relieved breath and started towards the sound, her knife held tight in her hand and her eyes wary of the trees and bushes in case there came another ambush. "Lirin? Areia?" She said quietly, not wanting to bring attention, but wondering how close Lirin was.

After he heard Areiz's voice, barely a whisper on the wind, Lirin announced, a bit louder, "I'm here...we're both fine." Falling into a seated position, he sighed heavily, gazing down at his hands, horrified by what he had done.

After he heard Areiz's voice, barely a whisper on the wind, Lirin announced, a bit louder, "I'm here...we're both fine." Falling into a seated position, he sighed heavily, gazing down at his hands, horrified by what he had done.

Areiz followed Lirin's voice. When she found them, she sat down lightly and bit her bottom lip. "Umm.. So.. We d-don't have to worry about her." She said quietly.

"Mmm," Lirin replied hollowly before saying, "Or him," and pointing to the tribute he had killed, whose body was being picked up. Shuddering at the sight of it, he looked away, frowning.

Areiz nodded solemnly, looking at the ground. "S-so, are we going to stay here for a little while, or do we want to keep moving?" She asked quietly, her eyes closed to calm her nerves.

"We should keep moving," Lirin answered, though as soon as he tried getting to his feet, he began retching, throwing up what little there was in his stomach. When he had finished, he groaned before sitting back down, holding his head in his hands. "Maybe staying here wouldn't be so bad..."

Areiz looked up as he sat back down. "We should find something to help that..I think it's only stress..I hope at least." She looked around and sighed. I really should have been in the remedy-plant section more.. She rubbed an itch out of her right eye and looked back at him. "You just rest. I'll keep watch." Only if there's anyone else..There can't be. They won't find us. She assured herself silently.

When Areiz told him to just rest, Lirin nodded numbly before taking a sip of water from his canteen to get the taste of bile out of his mouth. I killed someone, he thought brokenly, his chest feeling like it was collapsing in on itself.

Areiz sighed. "I'll be back." Maybe that girl is dead by now.. she thought sadly to herself, knowing she could return and get some more supplies. "Just blow the whistle." She fiddled with her knife and started back towards the river, shivering slightly now.

Holding his head in his hands, Lirin tried to get himself under control, knowing that he would need to get it back together soon. They would need to get moving as soon as Areiz got back, and Lirin knew he wouldn't be able to carry Areia if he was still like this.

Areiz took to the trees again, crossing the river from above. When the body came into view, she shuddered. It lie facedown on the ground, the knife wound clearly visible. She dropped from the tree and went over cautiously, picking up the girl's bag. "Wow.." She said as she opened it. There was medical remedies for several common sickneses, bandages, and a little food. She threw the bag over her shoulder, flinching at the thought of it. Then she reached down, picking up the discarded bow and arrows. Blood had soaked into the ground around the girl. Areiz drew back as soon as she had gotten the supplies. She went back to the trees and returned to Lirin and Areia. "Hey." she said quietly as she set the stuff down and slumped to the bottom of a tree. "Medicine, food, bandages, and weapons." she muttered, leaning back and staring up at the tree branches above.

Lirin nodded, grimacing as he pieced together where Areiz had gotten the supplies. Running a hand through his hair, he sighed heavily, closing his eyes as he tried to get his emotions under control. "When do you want to start moving?" he asked, lifting his head to glance over at her.

Areiz shrugged lightly. "Whenever you're ready. I think we're okay for now though." She said, glaring at a mechanical bird that passed overhead. "Why do they use those things? So annoying." She sighed and dropped her head, rubbing her eyes a little. "Anyway, but y-yeah. Whenever you're better." She let her arms fall into her lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.