Hunger Games: Begin

• Thread starter Jae- The nonexistant
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Areiz slipped on a branch and hung upside down as an out-of-breath Falco stopped under her. She pulled a knife and he pulled his sword, the other careers letting them one on one it. Falco started up and Areiz twisted, the blade skimming her left side and cutting through the material, breaking skin as she threw the knife. As soon as the handel left her hand, she pulled up, disappearing in the branches and grimacing. She heard the careers yelling below, and she heard the moans from Falco. The girl she hit with the knife spoke. "He's going to die, it's his throat." She walked along, and the others followed. A canon went off and Areiz released a painful sigh, starting slowly in the other direction. At that time she hoped Lirin was okay. For some reason, she wanted to protect him. Maybe it was the fact he cared enough for others, or maybe it was he stood up to Falco, she didn't know. She only stopped when she reached her first hiding spot. There she wrapped her abdomen with the bandaged, covering the bleeding cut. She continued on slowly, slipping every little bit as she was unable to grasp easily on the branches. She spotted one of the orange backpacks and stopped, knowing ot had to be Areia and Lirin. She sat down and stared upwards, listening for any other tributes. Another canon went off.

Hearing the next cannon, Lirin flinched, before forcing himself to calm down, knowing that to panic could mean death for both of them. Resting against a tree, Lirin waited until it no longer hurt to breathe before getting his things again. Capitol people must be eating this up, me protecting Areia. Praying that it was enough to get a sponsor to help out, and that his trainer knew what he was doing, he picked Areia up, the bags already on his shoulders.

As they continued walking, Lirin found his strength leaving him in leaps and bounds, and soon he could barely stand. Practically collapsing down against a tree, he opened one of the bags, taking a long drink of water before offering the canteen to Areia. "We'll see about setting up camp here," he said aloud. "I don't think I'll be able to go much farther..."

Areiz followed a little behind inthe trees, glancing around. The pain in her side had subsided, the neres having gone numb from overexurtion. When he mentioned camp, she sat down and let out a small, quiet sigh. She hated the capitol, the pinned them up against eachoter. After moving a few hidden branches she'd created a barricade so she wouldn't fall. She leaned against the trunk of the tree and watched the darkening sky. She would help Lirin, she decided.

"There's no way I'll be able to get you up a tree," Lirin decided. "So we'll have to take turns on watch. I'll go first, but when it's your turn, wake me up if anything happens, got it?" At her affirmation, he nodded, before forcing himself to his feet, leaning against the nearest tree with the knife in his hands. He didn't dare light a fire. Not only was the threat of creating a forest fire too big, but a bright fire would be like a beacon to anyone within a two mile radius.

Watching as Areia made herself as comfortable as possible, he stifled back a yawn, his muscles all feeling like water from carrying Areia the entire way.

Areiz yawned a little as she watched the sky darken to black. Another cannon went off. That leaves.. She counted the remaining tributes on her fingers twelve..there's 14 tributes left.. most had died in the blood bath, 3 had died afterwards. She slipped into a dreamless light sleep, her mind clearing as she went limp, but was completely aware of her surroundings.

Lirin awoke Areia when he felt like he couldn't hold his eyes open any longer, handing her the knife, just in case, and falling asleep in moments, his mind and body both exhausted. And tomorrow will be just as bad, he thought, just before his eyes closed, his head resting on a large tree root.

Areiz heard something and bolted upright, only to find herself face-to-face with a strange bird. She tilted her head a little and the bird copied her. This isn't right.. Her hand strayed to her knife and in a flash of metal the bird fell onto the branch, wires sticking from it's now-severed neck. She looked around for any other birds but didn't see or hear anything. She laid back again, but she didn't drift off anymore, the adrenaline in her veins still pumping as she listened closely. She picked a twig from the tree and started cutting it, making small arrows with the fake feathers on the bird, using the wires to tie the feathers on. She'd made about 10 before she actually calmed down again.

Hearing some noise in the trees above her, Areia tilted her head upwards before shaking Lirin's shoulder, rousing him. "What is it?" he hissed, making sure to keep his voice down. She pointed upwards, and Lirin followed her finger, glancing up. Seeing some movement against the near-blackness, he frowned before taking the knife from her. Scaling the tree as quietly as he could, he let his hands find the cloth of whoever it was, pressing the blade of the knife to whoever it was. "Who are you?" he asked, his eyes scanning for some recognizable feature in the darkness.

Areiz was surprised when the cool blade of a knife touched her, but she didn't jump for fear of falling from the tree. "Areiz." She said quietly, her eyes focusing slightly on Lirin's outline. The darkness made it really hard to tell who it was, and she only recognized him by his voice. "I won't hurt you, I swear."

"Why?" he asked, pulling the knife away from her a couple inches. "Why aren't you going to try to kill me? I could easily do it to you. Besides, you could hit two birds with one stone....and if you weren't planning on killing us, why were you up here in the tree, anyways?" His eyebrows furrowing together in the darkness, he frowned, wishing his eyes adjusted to the darkness quicker.

"Because I don't want to kill anyone unless it's life or death for me. If there's a way around it, I'll go for it." She said simply. She started to adjust herself, but a jolt of pain reminded her of her injury. "And I'm in a tree because it gives me an advantage. If anyone comes to attack you and your partner, I'll see them, but they won't see me. Also, I didn't want to startle you.. But I guess that didn't work."

Frowning at her words, he said, "If you come down there with us, we...we can make an alliance, for now. Besides," he glanced down at Areia. "I think she needs some sleep, and I know that I need some more." Stifling back a yawn, he rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, tiredness overtaking him again.

Areiz nodded. "Okay. I can keep watch." She stood up carefully as not to fall. "Sorry for scaring you.."

"It's...it's fine," Lirin said, before descending down the tree. Soon, he was lying next to Areia, and was already falling asleep, despite the chill and the adrenaline still running through him.

Ariez glided down from the tree, gently jumping and swinging from each branch until she jumped to the ground. Lirin was already asleep. Areiz stood straight, leaning against the tree and keeping a sharp eye and ear out for anything. She could see faint wisps of smoke in the distance. Career fire.. She thought. They only had a few hours left until daylight, she knew from when they started until now. Stretching, she picked up her bag and looked back through it, adjusting and moving everything until she felt satisfied, then setting it back down.

Lirin slept as peacefully as possible, though he was plaugued by horrible dreams. In them, he saw Falco standing over him, a long, wicked knife in hand, stabbing him repeatedly. Sometimes the person would be Falco, but other times it would be someone else, someone he couldn't identify. The worst ones though were the ones where Lirin was standing over someone and killing them. It made Lirin sick that he would probably have to do that, to kill someone in cold blood. Jumping awake as the latest dream ceased assaulting him, he looked around fearfully before letting his eyes settle on Areiz. "How long was I asleep? How long until day time?"

Areiz looked over as Lirin spoke. "Asleep three hours, thirty minutes until sunrise." She said, double checking the math in her head. "I'm pretty sure." Her knife was now clipped to her belt out of view. She'd created a hilt with some fabric she'd cut from the backpack. She figured that would be better than carrying it around in her hand constantly.

Lirin nodded, before sitting up, pulling his knees to his chest. "I don't think I'll be able to sleep anymore..." he mumbled afterwards, frowning slightly. Rubbing his eyes, he said, "Sorry....'bout how I acted earlier...in the tree..." He frowned down at his knees, not looking at her on purpose.

"It's okay Lirin." She said. "It's the hunger games..it pulls people apart." She said, letting out a long sigh. A bird chirped overhead and Areiz looked up. "I made myself a promise before I entered: I will not kill anyone that does not try to kill me first." She said, more to herself than anyone. "And so far I'm staying by it."

Lirin nodded in the darkness, before muttering, "It's a good creed to live by...I'm not sure if I could...I have her to take care of." He gestured towards Areia. Watching as the horizon began lightening, he sighed softly. "I can only hope we have some good sponsors...hopefully then we can get something for her so I'm not carrying her all the time..." Then, he could feel the aching in his muscles from holding her up all day, and knew that he might have a problem tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.