Horizon Demon Hunter Academy (IC)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The day after the hunt once she had her energy back she had gone right back to classes, refusing to miss a day and in turn a class. She wanted to be the best she could then get better and that required training. Though just sitting in classes wasn't training if you asked her.

Janaz sat in his seat in class playing a classic game called Brick Break, A very simple game. Hit a brick with a ball. He had a smile on his face, He was going to break his record. "Come on baby, One 3 more bricks." He said encouraging himself. He then messed up and wasted his last ball. "Great. Now back to square one. I shouldn't have even came today." Janaz didn't go on the mission yesterday but was thinking of hoodwinking people into believing he was there but on secret mission...Nah, That would get him in trouble.

Liam walked into skill enhancement class, though today, it was more skill learning than skill enhancement. Shortly before he got the flu, Liam was told by a fellow classmate that the knifes that Liam used for close combat were also good for throwing. "Fine with me. The further away I can be from my foes, the better." Liam had said. However, he had forgotten about the conservation until earlier today. Better late than never. Liam thought.

The class was a large, square room, like most of the classrooms. Each skill had it's own instructor, and it's own area to practice. Liam found his way to the knife throwing instructor. Oddly, nobody was practicing knife throwing. The instructor, an older, scared man sat on a stool. With casual ease, he threw knife after knife into a plywood board. Each one hit the board with a satisfying thud. As the instructor began to throw another knife, Liam cleared his throat and said, "Excuse me sir, can you teach me how throw knifes like that?"

The instructor stopped mid-throw. He gave Liam an odd look. "You a glutton for punishment or something? You really want to learn?"

"Yes, sir, I do want to learn," Liam said, slightly annoyed, "I mean, I can already use a bow, I don't see why it would be that hard to learn this."

The instructor sighed and got off of his stool. "You asked for this, just remember that." he said.

Two hours passed. Liam now saw why nobody wanted to learn how to throw knifes. He had thrown the knife at least two hundred times, and he had only gotten it to stick to the target ten times. Still, he had a new found appreciation for throwing knifes, and was eager to keep practicing. As Liam prepared for throw time two hundred and one, the instructor said, "Sessions over, son."

"Already... ? " Liam sighed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saria rolled over in her bed, trying to find the warm spot. She'd moved out of the regular dorms because she hated that insufferable bell, but its noise carried to the small apartment just off-campus anyway. It wasn't as loud, but because she was already awake anyway, it was annoying. Not as annoying, though, as the shower starting at 5:30 and its occupant bursting into song. If it were anyone but her, Saria would have forced her to stop; but Saria could never bring herself to object. And it was a wondrous voice.

The smell of a hot breakfast drifted under the door. Saria wanted nothing more than to lay where she was for another five minutes, but the tantalizing aroma was too much for her empty stomach to resist. She twisted her body to look at the door, then gave up and hauled herself out of bed. Stomach rumbling, Sara started toward the kitchen to see what her roommate had started cooking.

"Morning, Skye. What's..." Saria's question was cut short when she saw the girl. The human was wearing a plain, white dress. It was remarkably plain, in fact--an article designed for the express purpose of looking ordinary. Floor-length to hide the legs, short sleeves that covered the shoulders, and a high-cut collar that didn't show any back or front. The garment itself was shapeless and without decoration. Why, then, when Skye turned to look at Saria--her long, pink hair rippling and her shimmering blue eyes lighting up with joy--did the angel find herself stunned at the human's beauty?

Saria had to run her own check. Hair: unruly; clothes: baggy, red pajamas; face: groggy from sleep; posture: same. Saria looked like she had just pulled herself out of bed. Indeed that was the truth, but Skye's pristine appearance made her conscious of exactly how bad she looked in comparison. And the worst part was that Saria knew she didn't do it on purpose.

"Good morning, Saria! I thought that pancakes would be best today. Does that sound good to you?"

"Sure. I'm going to shower first."

Saria beat a hasty retreat, Skye giving her a cheerful wave as she did. After taking a shower, drying her hair, donning her uniform, and tying her ribbons in, finally Saria felt ready to face her roommate on near-equal footing. She knew Skye didn't really care, but Saria did. When Saria returned to the kitchen at last, Skye was humming a happy tune as she finished the eggs--scrambled, not fried, just as Saria liked it.

There was adequate time to enjoy the breakfast, but Saria ate as quickly as she could--while still savoring every delicious bite--and rushed to get to school. When she grabbed her bag and ran, Skye was clearing the dishes.

-----

"How's the new roommate?" Isaac asked while they walked toward the Irofiin Building for Demonology. He'd met up with Saria as soon as she reached campus.

"It's like having an affectionate wife. I wish somebody would move into the third room just so I could have someone else in the house. I'd even take Liber at this point."

"I don't think Ariel is as bad as you all make her out to be. She even went to visit Frey in the hospital because he was hurt while protecting her."
Isaac had happened to pass her just as he was leaving. Or maybe she had been waiting outside for him to leave; Isaac wasn't sure, and he didn't see a need to ask.

"Hmm. Anyway, you're doing fine with your roommate?"

"No objections yet, but Frey did spend most of last week in the clinic. I think we'll be fine as long as I'm quiet, though."

Isaac pulled the door to Irofiin open and held it for Saria to go through. The pair moved up a flight of stairs and down the hall to the lecture room. Again, Isaac held the door for Saria, as well as for a trio of students that came up right behind them, then entered himself.

Saria moved to her customary seat near the front, but Isaac saw Sheridan sitting in the back. He couldn't tell if she was bored or impatient, but either way he felt she could use some company. Isaac took the seat next to the first-year, offering a smile and a handshake with his greeting. "Good morning, Sheridan. How do things look for you today--good or bad?"

"Good." she said with a bright smile to see a familiar face as she reached over and shook his hand happily. "Though truthfully I'd prefer to actually be fighting something, not sitting at a desk and listening to someone talk. I learn better from action, it sticks in my head better. Words stay there for a bit then tend to flake off." she said as she ran her fingers through her hair. "I think it would be more effective if they put us in a miniature arena with one of the demons they are talking about and shouted stuff we needed to know as we fought it."

Kia laid in her room, her bed across from Ariel's. she stayed under the covers, her should was sore, a bandage covered it. It wasn't a nice feeling. But the doc said to keep the bandage on, it was blessed, and had a spell casted on it. It would increase the healing factor of her body. But it still took a while to heal. So rest for her day off seemed reasonable. She threw on her headphones and blasted some music, closing her eyes and tried to rest.

Isaac chuckled at Sheridan's suggestion. "That doesn't sound too bad, but there are a few reasons why that wouldn't work. The first is that no live demons are allowed on Horizon unless they're contracted. The second is that you would need one teacher for each student. We have to learn en masse, so it has to be a lecture hall. I will give you a suggestion, though," Isaac offered as he pulled out his notebook. He flipped to the page from last Thursday, when the professor had detailed a Succubus. "While you're taking notes, imagine you were facing the demon. Like this:

"The primary ability of a Succubus is their ability to drain energy through physical contact. More intimate contact makes the process faster, but even handshakes are enough for a slow drain. So now you face a Succubus and think of ways to fight while avoiding direct skin contact. Her second ability is to invade dreams. Now you need to find a way to keep yourself protected from being approached while you sleep. The Succubus's third ability is her physical control of her body--she can shape it into many forms, some enticing and some terrifying. Now picture how you would face such an ability with your own. Like this, even though you can't fight them directly, you can simulate a fight and then apply it when you meet one later."

Yosuke
Ultimately Yosuke had been to all his classes, but today in demonology he decided it best not to come. Succubus... That was a name he hoped to never hear at school again. Ever since his first year when a series of unfortunate comments and questions lead to the nickname of "Pervert" He sighed and pulled himself out of bed. Might as well head outside.

He found a nice tree and just lied there. The birds chirping was quite soothing. The sun was warm, and the breeze kept him from getting too hot. He could see the medical ward from his spot, and a certain someone outside the window of our favorite musician

Ariel
True to her words, Ariel did not leave Frey's side whenever she could. however she did help fend off some of the fangirls that seemed to always want to be beside him, while she was there. Not a singe day that week, had she even gone to class. Right now it was too early for her to go into the medical ward, but she wanted to spend time with him now.

"Freeeey... Freeeeeeeeeeey... You awake? Think you could get out right now?..."

School was.....schoolish. Kia took both demonology and her ability enhancement class. Today was a weird day, she took demonology early so she could have the rest if her day to herself....but they were talking about succubus, which in her mind would never bother her. She figured they only went for the guys, so she had nothing to worry about. After the early class, she decided to skate around campus, avoiding the staff members so they wouldn't yell at her for the hundredth time. Then she noticed yosuke, lying next to a tree. She decided to scare him with a teleporting hello.

She appeared next to him and screamed "HELLO THERE" hoping to scare him.

She rubbed her chin as she thought with a fascinated look. "Hm... never thought of doing that, thanks." she said as she smiled over at him before getting out her notebook and going back to the teacher.

Yosuke

"*Soooooore...*
He managed to lull himself asleep. He was happy, and at peace, blissfully unaware of the angel's plan for a very rude awakening He just mumbled in his sleep. Then the sudden shout reached his eardrums, rattling his head, with such raw power.

"I didn't mean it like that!... Er wait, that's not what I, um... What just?... Oh, hey Kia." At that Yosuke stood up, acting as if nothing happened, before just giving up. "Why am I even bothering. I already said it, and to you of all people. You find my outbursts amusing anyway... So what are you doing out here and not in class?"

Isaac's explanation had run a little long. Professor Blake had started into his lecture, finishing where he'd left off last Thursday and then continuing into Incubus next. They weren't as similar as most would expect; the male demon lacked the shape-shifting and dream-walking, but held an innate charm magic to subjugate victims. If he had to compare the two, Isaac feared Incubi more than Succubi. An ability to affect humans' wills was far more dangerous, especially when possessed by a demon with intelligence and cunning.

The professor made it to the end of the lesson material with two minutes to spare. Unwilling to let the students off at all early, he opened the floor to questions. Saria raised her hand immediately so that she would be first called. "Do we need only worry about those of the opposite gender?"

The professor looked shocked, as though anybody would be stupid if they believed that. "Of course not. Incubi are known to prefer females that can bear offspring, but will gladly collect male servants as well. Most Succubi will choose both males and females as victims--though, interestingly, some will choose just men and some will choose just women. While they are demons, both Incubi and Succubi have a sentience on par with humans, and with that comes such traits as sexuality and choice. Not complete choice, of course, as any demon not under contract will attack angels and humans indiscriminately. This is an instinct that all of demonkind is unable to suppress without the intervention of a holy contract, as all of you well know."

The bell rang, signalling the end of class. Isaac just sighed as he climbed out of his chair. Professor Blake's words were harsh, but it was a well-established fact: demons were forever humanity's enemy. There was no room for doubting this truth. Every child was taught it from the cradle. Demons killed humans as easily as dogs wagged their tails.

"Hey, Sheridan. Were you going to a class right away? If not, care to join me for a short walk?"

"I wished demons weren't so evil, if they weren't they would be cool to have around and we wouldn't have to attack them." Sheridan said sighing as she stood too and picked up her bag and her notebook. "I mean heck, if those rugarus hadn't been all evily and killy I would have wanted to be friends with one."

Liam walked into the lecture hall for Demonology. Professor Blake's lecture was giving the lecture today. He was dry and boring, and mostly read out of the textbook. How a teacher like him even got hired at Horizon was anyone's guess. He was lecturing about the Incubus, demons that can could influence people's will.

"Hm. Reminds me of Aka Manah." Liam mumbled.

Liam dutifully listen to the lecture, but gave a sigh of relief when Blake ended two minutes early. However, true to his form, he keep the class in under the guise of "letting students ask questions." The angel Saria asked,"Do we need only worry about those of the opposite gender?" The professor acted like Saria was stupid for asking the question, but Liam thought that is was valid. He had thought the same thing for most of his freshman year.

Then Professor Blake said a real gem. " any demon not under contract will attack angels and humans indiscriminately. This is an instinct that all of demonkind is unable to suppress without the intervention of a holy contract, as all of you well know." We only know that because no one has tried another way. Liam though.

The bell signaled the end of class. Liam gathered his belongings and walked out of the lecture hall. He overheard a fellow Gaian say, ""I wish demons weren't so evil, if they weren't they would be cool to have around and we wouldn't have to attack them."

Liam turned to her and said, " Personally, I don't subscribe to the thought that demons are inherently evil. Their upbringing has to account for something. I mean, If I was raised in the pits of hell, told to kill humans and angels from birth, I probably would listen. It's the same thing for us. Were told that the demons are evil, so we regard them as evil. Maybe it's the same for demons," Liam shrugged, "Of course, my one of my demons isn't big on talking, and the other only speaks in riddles, so it's all theory, really."

"But they were the aggressors," Isaac countered the newcomer--Liam from the grade below. Isaac liked him. Isaac liked most people, of course, but Liam had a good, positive outlook on life. That in itself made him a great person to be around. "It was them who poured through the gate and began to kill everyone. They couldn't have known humans before then, so it follows that they killed us instinctively. Let's say a portal opened that let humans travel to a different planet. The first thing we would have done was set up defenses, then we would have tried to make contact with whatever was on the other side. The demons began to kill immediately--no talks, no warnings, no attempts at peace."

"Actually Issac it would depend on what humans went to the other world. There are some really messed up humans who are greedy and as heartless as the monsters we fought the other day. We are just like demons in some ways." Sheridan pointed out with a shrug as she put her bag over her shoulder.

Liam listened to the conservation intently. Issac and Sheridan both brought interesting points. Liam put his hand behind his head and gave a sheepish grin. "Man, this is great! You guys are bring up things I didn't even think about! I've had this little theory for a while, but this is actually the first time I've discussed it with others." Liam said.

Liam brought his hand back to the side. His countenance became more serious. "Make no mistake Issac, I also believe that the demons were in the wrong here. I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise. But I have agree with Sheridan also. Not all humans, to my disappointment, are good. Theirs a real chance that, if the wrong people were involved, violence could break out with these hypothetical portal aliens."

That one stung. Isaac let out a depressed sigh. "Yes, there are some humans like that. But with the sheer number of demons down there, I can't believe only the worst of demonkind came through. As a species, they attacked. There was no leader, no army, no soldiers doing what they were told; each demon acted on its own, or with its pack. Whatever way you may try to justify that--a need for food or making a home--we and they cannot coexist. It would be like having rabid raccoons nesting in your house, and not just the attic."

"I'm not trying to justify it, I'm just saying us humans are bad too. Hell, I still hate almost every demon on this planet." Sheridan said laughing and shaking her head.

Liam said, "Well, If there's one thing we can all agree one, it's that demons need to get off of earth. And were just the people to make it happen." Liam glanced at the clock. Only two minutes were left in passing period. " Uh, guys, were going to need to run if we want to get to Weapon Specialties on time....... I've never been late to a class........"

Status
Not open for further replies.