Hidden by the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kai put her hands against the tank, swimming up to him. "I trust you..." She said, pressing against the glass. Alma yelled, growing impatient. Kai frowned and gave Robert a kiss through the glass and swam down to the pool. Alma waited, crossing her arms across her chest.

Robert moved down the stairs quickly standing beside the professor, his heart in his throat at the moment. Who knew what this devilish woman had planned.

"She's here. Just because she's not out of the water doesn't mean she's not looking at us right now. What is this next test?" he asked. His eyes bore into Alma's and for some reason he looked so much larger than she was. Sure he was a man and a good six foot two compared to her tiny frame but she held herself in such high regard of superiority, he always felt tiny next to her. Insignificant and deflated. All of the sudden the tables had turned and he felt as if he looked like King Kong, chest proudly puffed outwards. He would protect Kai with his life.

"We need to see why these creatures have both gills and mammal lungs." Alma said. "For that, we need her completely out of the water. Normally I would have you race her, but I decided to do something different."

Kai hid in the coral and seaweed as the two talked. She didn't want the woman to hurt Robert. She was surely capable of it.

"We cannot take her completely out of the water. Even when she's closed her gills and using her lungs, waist out of water, her tail is still in the water. She needs it. It would harm her to be out of the water." His hand ran through his hair and he stepped closer to Alma.

"Look I understand you people care absolutely nothing about the wonder mythical creature you have captive, but I care. Not only because I'm her caretaker but because I'm a human being with empathy. She could stay in the water, waist out. You could examine her that way as well." he didn't want to argue and have himself thrown out of the under water agency. How could he save and protect her then? He had no idea how to get her out just yet. He was studying ways to set her free already.

Alma glared. "Do you know why we even bother studying this specimen?" She asked. Kai swam toward the surface, listening. She wondered what the woman would say. "Has anyone told you the true purpose of this? Besides getting ahead in science." The professor had started pacing, staring at him with icy eyes. She was not happy and her patience was at rope's end.

Robert crossed his arms. He stood between her and the pool. "Please, enlighten me." he said his tone was lethal.

"You see, the Chinese have started using dolphins as weapons to spy on us. We need some way to combat that. When we found the specimen, we found a potential weapon." Alma explained. Kai gasped silently as she listened. Alma continued. "The specimen is fast and shows signs of having military training. We could use it to our advantage."

"So you want nothing more than to have another weapon. Because the millions of nuclear weaponry aren't enough are they?" he said softly. It all made sense now. They were going to enslave as many mermaids as they could with those damn nerve implant transponder bracelets to control them. It took a hell of a time to get it off of Kai and surely humans would create ones that could never be removed. If they weren't listening they could easily be shocked into submission.

The thought chilled through him. Humans knew no end. They always had to be greater than others. "Have you or your bosses wondered what it is she wants? They've probably been around longer than our civilization. This earth was theirs before it was ours. Have you thought that just maybe they have rights?" His eyes looked at Alma. They were angry but glimmered with care and feelings for Kai. He was falling for a mermaid. As crazy as that sounded, it was happening.

"We are not suppose to think about what it wants, we are suppose to follow orders." Alma said. "No matter what feelings we may develop for a specimen we must remember they are animals. nothing more, nothing less." She turned away. "I will see you next week."

As the professor left, Kai poked her head above the water and swam over to the edge where Robert was. She reached out for him, hoping to comfort both him and herself.

Robert watched her stalk off. He stood shaking his head. She was not an animal. Sure, she was a creature... just like humans. Nothing but creatures on this entire planet. The words stung him probably as much as they did Kai.

He turned when he felt Kai's hand touching him. He gave her a soft smile, sitting at the edge of the pool and crossing his legs. He pulled the ends of his lab coat back so he could be more comfortable. He looked at her and for some reason he didn't care how worried he was around her, how nervous that emotions were spreading within his being. He held his arms open, wanting a hug with her.

Kai noticed his arms and pulled herself up, hugging him. She buried her head in his neck. She hoped he didn't think of her as an animal. She always feared he did. She surely showed animalistic qualities. How she hunted and ate her food was much like how a lion did. She was attracted to bright shiny things. This always made her feel self-conscious around him. She feared that he would leave her because of her ways. Her arms tightened around him. She didn't want him to leave her.

Robert relished in the feel of her body in his arms. He tightened his arms closing his eyes and sighing. Why was it that the first time he felt like he was falling in love it was with someone that shouldn't even exist. Someone who lived in a completely different world, literally, and that his job was learning all about her while keeping her in a prison. He felt like the monster and animal here. She was far from that. He caressed her back in soft circles. His other hand came up to cradle her head, smoothing the hair at the back of her head, holding her head close to him. He wondered if she could hear the way his heart beat madly when she was near.

Kai calmed as she felt his pulse on her cheek. She smiled, closing her eyes. "I'm not an animal..." She whispered, a tear coming to her eye. "I am not an animal..." Her fish tail seemed to say otherwise. It flicked in the water below her, scales shimmering. She wanted to just cut her tail off if it meant that she wouldn't be considered an animal.

"No sweetheart... you're not." he said his voice rumbling softly from his chest. He had never used an endearing name with her but it felt right. His hand caressed her head angling it so he could see her. His thumb wiped along her cheek, removing the tear that fell from her eye and his heart pounded madly. He hated to see her sad, to see her upset and crying. He would do anything to keep her from sadness. He could barely control the contortion in his chest of emotions. He moved in, closing the space between them and letting his lips take hers. He kissed her gently but with a searing power, his emotions evident to her with the heat in which he kissed her.

• Love
Reactions: The Writing Owl
Kai's breath hitched as she was surprised by the kiss. Slowly, she melted into it. She kissed back with gentleness, not wanting to hurt him. She held him tightly, pulling herself out of the water a bit more. Her tail twisted as much as her stomach did. She felt like butterflies were bursting in her chest, trying to escape. It was almost painful how many feelings were flowing through her.

Robert's worry that somehow Alma would see or find out melted out of his thoughts. He did not want to part his lips from hers. The minutes trickled by as he continued to kiss her. When he finally parted the kiss, he was surprised he remembered how to breathe. He held his head to hers, his eyes closed. His breathing was ragged and an internal fire raged within his chest. It was almost painful how much he wanted, needed to be with her. He would stay with her. He would give up his life on land to be with her. He was sure of that now.

"I...I'm sorry... I shouldn't have just kissed you like that..... I'm having a hard time controlling myself around you." he said softly. "I can't control what I feel for you." he said in a near whisper. He had never told anyone that he had feelings for them because it had never occurred before. Now he was having a hard time letting her know.

Kai was panting too, her eyes locked on his. "Don't be sorry... I enjoyed it... I loved it..." She kissed him again, though this time it was much shorter. She placed her forehead against his. "I wish sometimes to be on land with you, though I would miss my home." She rubbed his back, her tail swishing around to keep her in place. She felt as if she was being burned and cooled all at once. It was a relief yet it made her crave for more.

Robert smiled, their foreheads together. "I would never ask you to leave your home." he said softly, his hand softly caressing her skin. "I spent years studying the sea. What better place for me than in the sea with you?" he said a smile on his face. "That is if you want me there with you." he said his eyes opening to look into her eyes.

"I would love to have you with me." Kai said, cupping a cheek with her hand. She started to sink into the water, pulling him with her. She hoped this was what he meant, what he wanted. She used her tail to hold them both up.

"Wa...wait..." he hesitated although he wanted nothing different. "How are we supposed to escape if you turn me now. Would I be able to come back out of the water and breathe with my lungs and find a way to break us out of here?" he didn't know and he didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her not now. He just wanted them to live together where she was free and she could see her family and be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.