Hidden by the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kai nodded. "I am fine... She touched me where she shouldn't have." She said, keeping close to Robert. Her tail wrapped around one of his legs, holding him gently. She didn't want him to go through the next test. It was one she didn't like. It was a speed test. The professor wanted to see how fast she could swim so she would make Robert race against her.

Robert sighed and without really thinking things through he leaned forward placing a soft kiss on her forehead. It was a sweet gesture, a way to tell her that she was okay and he was there. She wouldn't be harmed.

"How about you take me for a tour?" he asked with a smile. He loosened her arms and walked over picking up the outfit and gear. He would go with her now, cheer her up, take a little break himself and enjoy a moment with her. He dipped out of the room right behind the wall, yes he was still shy, and changed into the outfit. He came back out and smiled at her. He walked into the pool placing his gear on and testing it before giving her a thumbs up. "Let's go." he said excitedly placing the mouth piece in his mouth and lowering beneath the surface his eyes looking through the goggles at her body under water.

Kai dived under and grabbed his hand. She slowed her swimming pace to allow him to follow. She showed him the different fish and coral, allowing him to touch them with his gloved hand. She giggled as a starfish decided that he would be its new best friend, attaching itself to him.

Under the water the world was completely different. So much more beautiful than anything he had seen on earth. He saw how the fish moved around Kai as if they all knew her personally now. He had been scuba diving before but of course... it was not for fun. It had always been for work and even though this was work, it was the most fun he had enjoyed in years. Her hand around his she led him up into the sphere and around. His heart racked with sadness... it truly wasn't anything more than a prison. Not a sanctuary in the least bit. His other fingers came up to brush along the body of the starfish with a smile on his face.

Kai carefully took the starfish off of him, putting it back on the floor of the sphere. She noticed a small tuna in the corner of her eye and stopped. In a split second, she was eating the fish, tearing through it quickly. She stopped when she noticed Robert's stare and blushed, embarrassed. She probably seemed like an animal to him with how she acted. She let the skeleton of the fish fall to the ground, turning away from Robert in insecurity.

[perdon no sabia que habias contestado!!]

Robert loved being underwater with her. She moved so effortlessly. He felt so awkward trying to move through the water. His mind raced to the future... if things went that way that was... he would become different... maybe then he'd move through the water differently as well, with more ease. He watched her, loving the way she stalked and ate the fish. He loved seeing her be herself. He could see the blush rise in her cheeks and his heart sped up. She turned from him and he moved as much as he could towards her, his hands coming to move around her waist. He wanted her to know, he liked everything about her, even when she ate a fish. He turned her around and caressed her cheek with his gloved hand, a smile on his face.

(Esta bien. :) )

Kai blushed. She wanted to take that strange mask off of his face and kiss him, but she knew he wouldn't be able to breathe that way. She wrapped her arms around his neck, her tail occasionally flicking against his legs. She could just make him change right then and there, but he wasn't ready. He was still learning. She wanted to make sure he knew everything before she did something so drastic. With a quick kiss to his forehead, she continued to lead him around the tank, showing him the fish how she saw them.

What felt like mere minutes turned to hours as he was lost in the acquatic world with the acquatic woman that was captivating him in all ways. She was so beautiful and for the first time in her prison he could see a spark in her eyes as if she was happy when around him. Robert hoped and wished that it was so. That he was making her feel happy and safe, like she could trust him. He would never violate that trust. Whether she chose to take him as a mate or not, he would fight for her.

He couldn't talk because of the mask so he motioned to her words to see if she could answer his questions.

'How do you sleep?' he wanted to know where she went to sleep, did she make a nest like thing or more of a bed thing, how did she keep herself from swaying in the water... it was all so fascinating.

One question made him look dumb but he did want to know. She was half human and half fish. She obviously had to go to the bathroom at some point in time. He wondered if she had a vent like most fishes did. He hadn't examined her tail enough to know. He wondered if that meant their reproductive methods were more fish like as well.

'How do you use the bathroom?'

'Do you lay eggs?'

He tried to slow his questions enough for her to answer each.

The last two questions made Kai blush a bright red. "Why do you ask embarrassing questions?" She asked before leading him to where she slept. She slept near the middle of the tank where a large patch of coral was. There were many different patches of seaweed near the coral, allowing her protection from potential predators.

She tried to think of how to answer the next two questions. "Mermaids are more like mammals. We give birth as humans do and feed our young as humans do. How we use the bathroom..." She blushed, not sure if she really wanted to tell him. "It's the same as how fish use the bathroom, we just don't go everywhere. We pick specific spots to do our business." She swam around awkwardly, playing with a fish that swam by.

Robert blushed as well... he was a scientist after all. He swam down to the place where she slept at. His fingers ran through the coral and sea weed she used as a bed. It felt surprisingly soft and he could tell why it was such good camo for her to sleep peacefully. When she said they were quite like mammals he felt foolish for even asking. It was still fascinating to know and he had a lot to jot down in his journal as soon as he got out of the water.

'Sorry if I asked too personal questions.' he mouthed taking his mouthpiece out before placing it back in to breathe. He looked at his watch and showed her that he had to leave. His hand caressed her cheek once more, he didn't want to. If it was up to him and he had enough oxygen he would stay with her. He swam down the portal that led to the pool and surfaced taking his first actual air breaths in over three hours. It was amazing.

Kai shook her head at his apology. Watching him go, she wanted to follow but decided not to. Instead, she laid down on her 'bed' and curled up. The tank felt lonely without him. Even as the different sea creatures swam by, she still felt empty without him right by her side.

Robert shed his wetsuit and set the oxygen tank to recharge. It was one of those new governmental ones. All you had to do was set it within its charger port and it would be refilled with oxygen. He made it into his room and bathed before laying own on his bed. His hand grew tired hours later from writing everything that he had learned and found out. Everything he had seen and of course images of them together in the water.

He knew very well that Professor Alma was going to be demanding his weekly notes so he had begun making a copy for her. He was cold and scientific in his notes to her. Just the knowledge in a much less fascinated tone and not a single drawn image for her notes. He kept that where it could be found if she sent her minions to acquire them. His journal he kept hidden and would find a different hiding place every day. He couldn't be too safe.

He slept easily and woke up early in the morning to get a bite to eat. He had to check the cycle of the water and make sure all the levels were in the correct ranges. He placed is iPod on the radio connector and turned up some good older rock bopping his head as he went and jumping into his rolly chair sliding down the panel. Checking the dials and sensors one by one.

Kai woke up with a yawn and swam around the tank, waiting for Robert. The door opened to reveal professor Alma. "Hughes. Where are you?" She asked, looking around. Kai glared and hissed at Alma. The woman glared. "Hello, creature. I might have fun with you today." Kai hit the glass with her tail, swimming away. Alma rolled her eyes, walking away.

Robert heard her from the other side of the sphere turning his music down and checking out the last of the sensors. "I'm over here ma'am." he said rolling back towards her and standing out of the chair. "Already down here I see?" he said moving towards the sphere to see if Kai was up yet. He hadn't seen her. He wished he could've said hello before Alma ruined their day already.

"Can I help you? I was just checking all the levels." he said placing his hands in his pockets.

"I need your notes and I am here to give you your third test." Alma said, straightening up. Her eyes were trained on the tank. "Call for the specimen." Kai slapped the tank with her tail, hiding in some seaweed. Alma jumped at the sound, looking for the source.

Robert turned easily, not frightened by the noise and smiled when he saw the flash of her tail before it disappeared behind some seaweed. He turned back to the Professor with a curt nod he went into his office retrieving his file of notes, the notes he had made specifically for her, and handed her it.

"You said there were three tests. Is this the final one and then you're done pestering?" he asked placing a hand to the sphere and looking over at her angrily.

"Not entirely. I will check in once a week for progress reports." Alma said. "Now. Call the specimen." She glared as she stared at the tank. Kai glared at Alma, slapping the tank again. She giggled, enjoying the scares she was giving Alma.

"Kai." he called turning to look at only the sphere. "Can you come here please?" he asked. He knew professor Alma would be angered that he was being civil and decent with her instead of demanding and authoritative being the 'dominant' species. Everyone in this blasted project and agency seemed to believe that they were the superior race. As much as he had learned about them so far, though not too much, mermaids were quite advanced and if the change were not permanent for them to come on land and become humans, he was sure they'd show these humans a thing or two and go back to the ocean where it's better.

Kai came out, glaring at Alma. "Alright. For your last test, I want you to get the specimen out of the water. Take her to the pool." Alma demanded. Kai's eyes widened. She swam away from the glass, not wanting to stay in the woman's line of sight. Alma gave the tank one last glance before walking down to the pool.

Robert blinked his eyes. He watched her move down to the pool room and he placed both hands on the sphere. "Kai... Do you trust me?" he asked his eyes searching hers his heart frantic to know the answer. "I would never let anything happen to you. I need you to know that." he said his head pressed against the glass. He had come to care for Kai strongly. He knew that it was not beneficial to his job, but he couldn't control what his heart wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.