Hidden by the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I am here for your second test. Where is the specimen?" Alma asked. She seemed very uptight today as she had no guards with her. They were outside of the room.

Kai frowned as she swam around in the pool. She wanted to make the woman go away.

Robert looked at her with a sigh. His hand came to his hair, fluttering through it before he looked to the water.

"Kai.. can you please come here?" he asked not caring that Alma had made it clear in her file that she was not to be befriended if not treated like a lesser species and slave, demanded to do as told without a qualm. He knew deep down that was how she had previous employees treat her and if she wouldn't listen they would retaliate causing her pain. The thought of it made him angry.

Kai swam up to the surface, only showing her head. She glared at Alma. "Alright. I want you to get her out of the water and point out each part of her body and what it does." The professor said, pulling out a clipboard. Kai's eyes widened. She didn't want to go on land. If she went on land, she would transform and those transformations hurt like a bitch. She slunk back into the water a bit, wanting to just disappear.

Robert shook his head. Without saying a word to Alma he took his labcoat off folding it and putting it on the ground beside his satchel. He walked into the water going waist deep.

"Kai can you please come here?" he asked. When Alma glared at him he glared back. "There is no reason for her to get out of the water when I could show you right here in the water where she is comfortable and safe." He didn't care if she'd say against it, he was not taking Kai out of the water.

Alma sighed. "Fine, fine, just start examining her already." Kai kept her gaze on Alma as she slowly swam over to Robert. She wanted to hug him and pull him under. She noticed that she wanted many things from this man. It was always she wanted something. Did he want the same things? She thought of those things as she met him at the waist deep area, her tail dragging across the edge of the pool.

Robert wanted to argue with Professor Alma. He was tired of her attitude of superiority and complete rude demeanor. He sighed trying to erase all his anger as his eyes ran over to Kai. As soon as she came into view it's as if it all disappeared. He gave her a smile and he sighed.

"She has enlarged pupils. Of course because she lives at such dark and deep waters she needs them to see in the darkness that surrounds her. Her upper torso is much like a female humans. Her gills here.." he said his fingers running lightly along her sides, "Are for breathing within water, when she is out of water they shut allowing her to breathe with mammal lungs." As he named things his hands touched her ever so gently and he lost all thought of Alma, completely engrossed with looking at her, his hands on her.

"Her tail begins at the waist. It is made of cross linked hardy scales. She has paired pelvic fins, like all fins they are there to function as an aid in swimming. These are for moving up and down, turning sharply or stopping sharply. The dorsal fin," he said moving his hand to touch that one, "serves to protect from rolling and assists in turning. Her adipose fin is on the lower extremity of the tail is simply for detection of changes in pressure and temperature and her caudal fin..." he said laughing softly as his hand slid all the way down her tail to hold the soft fin flapping out of the water so Alma could see, "serves for propulsion."

He let her tail slide back into the water as his eyes ripped from Kai's face to Professor Alma. "Happy?" he asked with a raised brow.

"Quite." Alma said. "May I?" She asked. She slipped off her clothes to reveal a wet suit underneath. Kai immediately swam underwater, not wanting her anywhere near her. The professor got in the water and moved to stand next to Robert. "I'd like to observe her for myself." She pulled on a pair of gloves, as if touching Kai would contaminate her in some way.

Kai wanted to drag Alma under and just keep her under. It would be a service to the world in her opinion. She pulled on Alma's leg, causing her to nearly slip. She giggled underwater as she watched the professor flail around.

Robert tensed when the professor wanted to join them in the water. He stood at a stance between Kai and the professor. He would protect her if need be. He nodded his head.

"There is no need for gloves but by all means..." he said watching her like a hawk. When Kai's movements caused Alma to stagger nearly crashing into the water his hands came out to steady the professor. He did not want her to get angry and have a personal vendetta for Kai even though it already seemed that way. His eyes looked at Kai with a raised brow. She was playful and it made him want to laugh.

Kai slowly swam back up to the surface. "I would not want to contaminate such a fine specimen with human germs." Alma said, grabbing Kai's tail roughly. Kai struggled against the grip, her tail flailing violently. Alma was quite strong despite her thin frame. "She is quite strong." Alma nodded, using a hand to grab her arm.

Robert tensed. "If a strength test is what you want, let me set up one for her and give you the results. You may be the professor but I am the caretaker and so far I've passed all your exams. You are unnecessarily harming her." he said his hand coming up to hold Alma's arm as her hand clasped around Kai's arm.

He was furious. He wanted to yell at the professor and knock her off her damned pedestal. There was no need to hurt Kai! His heart raced for fear that she'd hurt Kai. She'd blame him for not protecting her and all the progress that had been made, all the feelings that had begun to simmer within him would be ripped before they had a moment to flourish. "Let me hold her, and without excessive force you can inspect her. Please." he said his blue eyes boring into the woman's face. He was pleading but being completely serious. She was going to let go. One way or another.

"Hold her. She seems to respond better to you." Alma said, letting go of Kai. As soon as Kai was let go, she swam away from the two. She wanted to hurt the woman so badly, but Robert would hate her for it. Maybe she could make it an accident... No, she couldn't. Unless the woman harmed Robert, she would not harm her.

Alma glared as the specimen swam away. "Call her." She ordered. "She is no good to us if we can not examine her and observe her." She was on edge with the mermaid. If she had it her way, the mermaid would be strapped to a table and dissected.

Robert glared her down. "Let her calm down for just one moment. You scared her, she has feelings as well Professor." he said. He watched Kai from where he stood. She swam away, her tail barely visible by her speed. He waited a few minutes until the rapid splashing was gone and the surface of the water had settled.

"Kai... can you please come here. It's okay, I'm here." he said softly. He meant every single word. Alma would not harm Kai. Over his dead body would any bad come to her.

Kai poked her head up near him and swam over. "I hate her..." She muttered in Antlantian.

The professor's eyes widened. "What? What did she just say?" She asked. None of her employees had ever gotten her to talk. The language was different from what she expected. It was very fluid and used long vowels.

It must've been due to the mark she gave him that lay hidden beneath the collar of his shirt. It had not gone away and now he could undestand her perfectly. He looked at her with a soft smile, his hand extended for her.

"I know." he murmured back to her. He looked at the Professor and shrugged. "She said she doesn't like this one bit." he said not revealing the truth behind what Kai had said. He put a hand behind Kai's back, rounding her waist and holding her steady. His other hand slid down along her tail and held it up so the adipose and caudal fins were out of the water. He gave the Professor a glare as if she needed to hurry up.

Kai shivered as the professor started to touch her. She wanted to hit her with her tail badly. The professor scoured every inch of the mermaid's body. She grabbed roughly and poked at her. Kai flinched when the woman started examining the human part of her, grabbing and pulling the skin. The professor elicited a few whimpers as she felt Kai's body up.

Robert was breathing angrily and when a whimper left Kai's breath he tensed. "That's enough." he said releasing Kai into the water for her to swim off. The entire time that Alma was touching her his hand was softly caressing circles on her lower back, trying to keep her calm.

Alma glared. "I wasn't done examining her." She said, angry. They were not suppose to care about a creature that killed two of their men when they were capturing her. She was just a dumb sea creature. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kai swam to the bottom of the pool, glad that Robert had let her go. She wasn't sure what was going to happen, but she knew that she didn't want to see it.

"Well Professor that is my job. I am here to examine her. You are here to oversee me are you not? Why don't we each stick to our jobs." He knew he was being insubordinate and it could possibly end in his removal of the program. Of course with as much as he knew he'd probably be killed and his mother told that he had drowned at sea or something alike.

He hoped entirely though that the Professor saw what an asset he was. Kai was different around him than she had been with the other Doctors. She spoke to him and he understood. He just wanted her to be safe.

The professor's mouth thinned as she glared at him. "Right... Well, I must be leaving. I brought a wet suit and deep sea diving equipment for you to prepare for your next test. Good luck." She said coldly as she got out of the water and grabbed her clothes. She walked out of the room with her head held high.

Kai swam up to Robert and hugged him. She was shivering slightly and held him close, though she was getting him wet. The woman was starting to scare her slightly.

Robert smiled down at Kai when her arms closed around him. He hugged her back holding her gently. he didn't care that he was drenched. It felt nice to be in her arms.

"Are you all right?" he asked his fingers coming beneath her chin to angle her face upwards so he could look at her. He wasn't showing it very well but he was quite worried about whatever the next test might be. The professor hadn't told him what the test would be but he looked over at the scuba supplies and wetsuit.

He was excited for the ability to swim with her, to stay under water with her. He wanted to know what on earth the test was. He had a gut feeling it would end in either one of them hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.