Fragments of Dreams

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
The Averman noticed a guard coming towards them. "Keep repeating," he told the Prince and went to see what the guard wanted.

"Sir, the Princess has requested that the Prince move to the training area to train," he said, bowing.

"Thank you," the Averman bowed in return. "My Prince, please follow me."

Zach stopped his repetitions and looked at the Averman curiously. "Alright," he said and followed the Averman to the new training area. "Out of curiosity, why did we move?"

"The Princess has requested it," the Averman smiled. "It would seem as though she wishes to aid in your training. Though know this, Prince: frequent use of your abilities is good for your body. And in unfortunate events, such as war or attacks, you will be able to defend your people and your land."

Zach nodded in understanding. He smiled, it seemed that his training was getting close to its end. Which meant he could join the attacks on the Dawntreaders soon to help fight for his father's land. Excitement and adrenaline filled him, and his spirits surely lifted.

The Princess hid herself at a distance in one of the older trees as a pageboy led a griffin towards Prince Zachary. She smiled as she saw the smile on his face. He was tired but he didn't show it. She liked that. Suddenly she prepared her arms to shoot a sunbeam arrow. Edrea was one of the best, if not the best, archers in all the kingdoms. She's never missed a shot. She smiled as she saw the Prince accepting the reigns, but before he could, she released the arrow that narrowly missed him and the pageboy. She laughed, finally showing herself and Sylvana from where they were hiding.

"Catch me, Shadow Prince. Then we may clash swords of lights and shadows." Her playfulness was back once again and so was her smile. Sylvana roared, raising her front paws as if daring the griffin to do the same. Edrea smirked, her eyes telling the Prince to follow as she rode away with both legs in one side, hair flying against the wind, her dress making her look like a rampaging goddess. And perhaps she was.

Zach smiled as he saw the pageboy. "My Prince. We've come to offer you a griffin," he said with a bow. Zach blinked. "You're giving this to me," he asked, bewildered.

"Yes, Prince. She is strong and quick, the best of her nest. We hope she pleases you," he said. "Wow, thanks- WHOA," he said as an arrow shot by him, his hand hovering over the reigns. He looked to see Edrea and laughed, his shock quickly changing to amusement. "A challenge, huh? I'm in! Let's go, girl," he smiled at the griffin, who excitedly spread her wings and let Zach on her back. The griffin let out an excited caw as her talons ripped into the ground and sent her flying after Sylvana.

As they traversed through the woods Edrea looked back at Zach, seeing their distance. She smirked, quickly pulling a sunbeam arrow, purposefully missing him by a fraction of an inch on his face. "You need to learn how to put up your shields, moving target or not." She yelled back at him as she put on her own shield, showing him how to encase himself and his Animus.

"Dark Queen! Th-they have taken over the Shadowlands!" A Dawntreader shoulder bore his head down as he bowed before the dark majesty. She showed no sign of emotion towards his news whatsoever. Instead, she urged him to stand up. The soldier dared not look at the Queen and she could see his fear as he trembled in front of her. She smiled before lifting a hand and promptly sending a large shard of ice towards him, piercing his throat.

"When things like these happen, I do not want reports. I want results. I want you to take back my son's kingdom!" The Queen raged against her soldiers, sending them out scuffling. They were all useless pawns to her real plans. If the Orian Princess really was the soul mate of the Shadow Prince, then it would be so much easier and much sweeter to take them both down.

"Aere," she cooed to her son as he approached. "Why don't you help level the playing field in your kingdom? It sounds like the light is winning and we cannot let that happen. Hmmm, isn't that true, my sweet?" She chuckled darkly at the shadow chained on the wall. He struggled once more but he knew it was all futile. If only the Sun King and the Moon Queen would have mercy on them all.

Zach grinned; he was having a blast. He loved testing how far he could go with his powers. He focused and made a barrier that reached around him and the griffin and grinned as he felt it close like an egg around them. "Awesome," he said, laughing of joy and excitement. The griffin felt the excitement of her rider and beat her wings faster, cawing as there was still excited energy remaining in her body.

Aere approached his mother. He'd seen this cold reaction to news many times and had grown used to it. Just another body on the ground, more blood. No big deal. He bowed to her. "Yes, mother," he said obediently. He glanced towards the shadow that was his father's soul before turning on his heel and walking out. He grabbed the shadows and formed armor to fit over his body. He forged a sword for himself, infusing it with his ice. He left with the great number of soldiers, using the shadows to make a portal to where the nearest Orian soldiers were, and attacked them from their own shadows. It was a great and bloody battle, as the Dawntreaders rose from the shadows and impaled their weapons into the Orians. Aere yelled a battle cry as they charged the other Orians that were there. He held several of their shadows still, immobilizing them as he swung his sword to slay the men his mother despised so much.

"Your Majesty!" A guard came out of nowhere, Sylvana roared, Edrea grabbed Sylvana's reigns, making her rear back and stomp dangerously on the side of the guard as she landed, making him stagger.

"Are you mad, sir?"

"We're getting wiped out in battle! Their masked leader man out there who came out of nowhere like a phantom and attacked our soldiers through their shadows!" Edrea's brows furrowed. Shadows? She heard Zachary and the griffin approaching. She looked at them through the side of her peripheral vision, making a quick decision.

"Prepare a portal just outside the castle. Send in reinforcements from the Shadowlands' army. I want the High Guards already in the battlefront to be informed. Tell them to retreat immediately until we arrive." The guard bowed, took a step and just as good as vanished in front of them.

Edrea saw the Averman from the Shadowlands approaching them, in his own griffin. "Please continue your training with the Prince. I have a battle to attend to."

She looked at Zach in the eyes, no hint of emotion whatsoever in her pretty face. "I'll see you when I get your kingdom back, Prince. Train well."

She turned to another direction, not looking at anyone, preparing to leave.

Zach's griffin stopped by landing, roughly. Zach clenched, clinging to the Animus so he didn't fly off. The Shadow Prince looked at Edrea with a questioning look. He'd heard the word 'shadows'. he frowned. If the Dawntreaders were using Shadow abilities, this was not good. Not good at all. "Edrea, let me come with you," he called after her, getting off the griffin and using a shadow to portal in front of Sylvana. "Think of it as a long training session," he insisted. "It's my kingdom, right? Let me earn it. Please, Edrea," he asked.

He wanted to see who else was using Shadow abilities. He knew it wouldn't be easy to fight them, but he wasn't afraid. And he didn't want to sit back and wait while everyone fought for him, some dying for him. He didn't think that was right, let alone fair. "You wouldn't want everyone fighting, possibly dying, while you sat and waited."

"No, she wouldn't," Miria agreed. "But you have not finished your training, young man," his mother frowned at him and ignoring him as she turned to Edrea. "Princess, I would like to join you," she said.

"Mom, you can't keep protecting me forever," Zach frowned. "I'm going to have to fight eventually."

"You aren't ready-"

"I'll never be ready, if it's up to you! I'm still learning, yes, but how close are we to getting Dad's land back? How am I going to rule everyone when I never lifted a finger to help get it back," he demanded, clearly frustrated.

"Someone will need to stay at the Orian." Edrea looked hard at the Queen then at the Prince. She could almost feel his anguish. She took a moment before she spoke again. "Let the Prince come." She looked into Queen Miria's eyes. "He will not leave my side, I swear it."

Edrea looked at Zachary. "Armor up, Prince. We've got a battle to attend to." There was no hint of humor in her tone as she gave a small bow to the Queen and rode away. She was apprehensive about the Prince's attendance in this battle but he was right. He needed to learn and see what a real battle is. All she has to do is keep him away from the masked leader of the Dawntreaders.

Miria frowned, but she knew her son was right. She just couldn't lose him like she'd lost her dear husband... "As you wish," she told Edrea. "I swear to the Sun, Zachary, if you do not come back, I will kill you dead," she frowned.

"Yes, Mom," Zach said, glad he could come. He grew serious quickly, pulling shadows to make his armor. He put some passion into it, lacing it with his fire magic. Now it was as strong as his sword had been in training. He hopped onto his griffin, who quickly moved to stand beside Sylvana. He put armor on her, too, and a thin layer to her wings so they wouldn't get hurt. "Thank you, Princess," he told Edrea, a fire similar to his mother's burning in his black eyes. "For letting me fight alongside you."

Edrea looked at Zach, her eyes still devoid of emotions. She nodded, before leading him to the legion already formed in front of the portal. Two Avermans were holding the portal together, along with Fenris and another spirit priest. Transporting an army is not an easy task. Edrea led them at the front of the throng where Molrim, Tanril, and Arthran rode their own Animus; a griffin, a Vulcan and a hippogriff, respectively.

Edrea looked over their army of about a hundred men, some riding their animus, the others by foot. It didn't matter. They will win this battle and take over the Shadowlands once and for all. She looked up at the Sun, now at its peak, sending a silent prayer to her Father. She turned Sylvana back towards the portal. She looked at Molrim on her left and Zach on her right, giving each of them a nod before lightly digging her heels on Sylvana's sides, sending her to a full on charge towards the portal that will lead them to battle.

Zach suddenly felt nervous with their soldiers standing behind them, waiting for them to lead the lot into battle. He pushed the feeling down, rationalizing that he'd rather be fighting than sitting as was the alternative. He sat tall, looking very princely in his Fire Shadow Armor on top of his griffin. He nodded back to Edrea, knowing to stay close to her in order for her to keep her promise to his mother.

He tapped the griffin's sides and she charged after Sylvana, her wings spread and claws out, ready for battle herself.

Zach, used to combat on foot, slid off of his griffin and fought alongside her in their attack against the Dawntreaders. He used his Shadow Sword and a Flame Sword, choosing not to combine them yet. He would if he ever ran into the masked man they were talking about. His Flame Sword made it easier to see, as neither the Moon nor Sun were shining on the Shadowlands and it was very dark.
__

Aere let out a triumphant cry that was quickly cut short by one of the soldiers yelling that they were being attacked. "Damn it all," he cursed. Of course they'd bring reinforcements! They fought hard, Aere heard several of his men fall victim to the cries of griffins and other Animus'. He saw the light of Fire, bigger than what they normally brought with them, and laughed triumphantly. The FireShadow was here!! That meant the Princess would be, as well; he laughed again and swung his sword at those preventing him from reaching the soul-mated couple. Oh, his mother would be so pleased.

Sylvana roared as the Princess shot arrow after arrow. She wasn't very comfortable with the fact that Zach had chosen to fight by foot. Sylvana took out two soldiers that had tried to swing at them, and the Edrea sent out a huge fireball to penetrate the dark shadow that engulfed the atmosphere. The Sun will shine in this land and no powerful shadow will be able to change that. The Sunfire has begun to eat away at the darkness, letting the Sun's rays stream in like a holy beacon upon the battle ground.

Of course, Edrea stood out with her large white saber-tooth tiger. She wanted to get the attention of the masked leader. And she needed him to go to her. Edrea saw a masked man—no, a boy, making a beeline towards their direction. He swung at every which way, slashing at soldiers with every strike of his dark sword, leaving the victim frozen in horror and death. How in the world was this possible?

Molrim, Tanril and Arthran were in the near vicinity, forming some sort of a triangle around them. They could cover easily for Zach. But knowing his foolish bravery, he will most likely charge at the phantom and Edrea couldn't risk that. Whoever this masked man is, he obviously knows his way through a battle. His stance was strong and every strike of his sword hits, just like a proper, adept warrior. She looked quickly at Zach, his form was proper but it wasn't as good as the phantom's. His strikes were clear but hesitant as the child fears death; proper for a Prince but not for warfare.

Edrea jumped off Sylvana. Her Animus roared as it crushed another enemy's ribs by her paws, digging in her claws to the flesh. Her white paws were smeared with blood and dirt, her mouth brimming with red stains. She exchanged her bows for a sword of Sun and Moon, swinging the light weapon on her hand and slicing at a soldier as he motioned to strike for Zach. "Watch your back," she shouted at him as she headed out the circle the High Guards have made around them. "Stay here," she ordered Zach as Sylvana made a way for Edrea, clawing and biting at soldiers who tried to get in her way.

Zach was grateful that the Sun began to shine on the battlefield. He was able to see farther out and anticipate more of them. He felt like a scolded child when Edrea told him to watch his back, though he quickly got over it. With every kill he made, he felt Shadows surround him. Shadows that were thankful that he had freed them from the pain of being under the Ice Queen. He took control of them and sent them to attack their former allies. Most of them obliged, though some of them still wished to attack the Prince. He destroyed these with his sword, and his griffin prevented everything from advancing on his back side. Her paws, talons, and beak were smeared with blood from her kills.

___

Aere winced in pain as the bright Sun began to shine up on the battlefield. Most of the soldiers winced as well. "Keep fighting, cowards," he yelled at them, annoyed that they were all, including himself, so hindered by the light. Before he knew it, the Princess was upon him. He grinned. "Leave the Princess to me," he ordered his soldiers and they began attacking the soldiers around her. Aere laced his Shadow Sword with ice so it had a razor sharp edge on it. "The Princess of Orian," he said, swinging his sword at her. "Welcome to my mother's kingdom." He had to catch both the Prince and Princess off guard to bring them to his mother.

Edrea met his sword mid-stroke, "I'm afraid you're lost, little boy. The true Queen of this kingdom has returned. " She sparred with his sword at each and every stroke. He was strong, well-skilled. But so was the Princess. She controlled her hits, assessing how much strength he truly possessed. She would hit hard and then hit him with just enough strength, trying to get him confused. However, her shields were up. No form of blade will be able to strike at her. She faked an attack from above before she stabbed him with a dagger from below.

He bellowed from the strike, but he only took a step back, looking at her in anger. Her shock was evident in her face. The Silvermoon dagger should've gone through; instead, it only wounded him lightly. They resumed the sword fight and Edrea could feel Sylvana's apprehension as she fought off all the soldiers of the Dawntreaders.

However, they have been gravely weakened: these people have not seen the Sun in a lot of Auroras. Some of these people have forgotten what it felt like to see in the light and to have the sun kiss your face. Their arrival has turned the tides to their side. Now, it was time to take off that mask.

Aere smiled, happy for the challenge of fighting someone of seemingly equal skill. "Little boy, Princess? Surely you can be more civil," he taunted, blocking one of her strikes. His eyes did burn from the light, but he had seen much more light from spying on Orian than half of the soldiers he had brought to battle with him. They would be far more worse off than he. His wound, as shallow as it was, did sting. His Shadows whirled around in his body, disoriented by the light of the Princess' dagger.

He began aiming for the Princess' legs, hoping to knock her down and disarm her so his soldiers could nab her. He waited, rather impatiently, for them to overpower that stupid Sabertooth Animus. He began to fear that they waited too long to attack, that the Princess had gotten too powerful. He quickly pushed the thoughts back, making his strikes quicker in his frustration.

___

Zach was full of energy, slashing here and there with both of his swords. He was growing less hesitant about killing, the Fire and Shadow in him getting used to fighting for survival.

Edrea noticed her opponent's eyes darting here and there, as if he was waiting for something. She smirked, quickly turning into him as she blocked his blow from the side and sweeping him off his feet with leg. They looked as if they were dancing; a beacon of light and shadows. As he fell on the ground with her she quickly placed her hand on his face, burning off the dark mask that hid his identity.

His eyes were of shocking ice blue and his skin pale as snow. Perhaps a part of her was shocked that there was a face underneath the shadow. However, she quickly got over the initial shock and pinned him down with binds made of Sunbeam. His facial structures bore a striking resemblance with that of Zach's and this troubled her greatly. The only ones who can be protected from her Sunbeams and Silvermoons were those who were born of Gods. And this boy has managed to not get severely wounded with her Silvermoon dagger.

All the fighting stopped around them, whoever survived in the Dawntreader soldiers accepted defeat as they saw their leader on the ground. Edrea stood from her crouched position; kicking away his Shadow-ice sword and making it vanish in a beam of light. Edrea surrounded him with a force field that would prevent him from using any of his powers.

"State your name," she ordered as she looked down upon him. Her long dress had dirt on it, but it didn't have a single scratch on it. Her armor was made of the strongest fabric there ever was: Silvermoon threads.

She looked up at Zach, checking if he was hurt. She smiled when he saw that he was unharmed. "Come, Shadow Prince, join us." She extended her hand towards him in the invitation, her smile growing wider.

Aere struggled against the binds but knew it was useless. Well this plan went brilliantly... Damn his emotions... He glared up at the Princess when she took his mask off. He felt naked, and exposed with it off. He glanced over as Zach, his older brother, came over and took Edrea's hand.

Zach looked down at him. He was speechless for a minute. "You almost look like me."

"Of course I would, brother," Aere said with a sharp laugh.

Zach frowned. "That isn't possible-"

"Of course it is. Father didn't die immediately. Mother had her way with him. I am the son of two Gods," he sneered at his brother. Theoretically, he would be stronger than Zach. But he didn't have Zach's Fire, his passion, which would ultimately make up for it.

"Your name," Zach said, dismissing the explination. He pointed his sword at the young man's - his younger brother's- throat. His black eyes were hardened.

"Aere," the Ice Prince said, accepting defeat. He was surprised when his brother did not puncture his skin.

Edrea stood in shock. His explanations made sense, it all added up. But dear Circe, this was only a little battle. This person could possibly win over the war for them! Edrea looked up at Molrim, "Take care of the survivors from the Dawntreaders."

She held on tighter to Zach's hand as he kept the sword pointed at Aere's throat. "We're taking him with us." When Zach didn't move still, Edrea looked at him, worry etched in her face. She took her free hand and touched him lightly on arm that held the sword. It would take a lot of energy for his sword to break through Edrea's barrier, but it would be possible. "My Prince," she softly called out to him.
"Welcome home."

Zach looked at Edrea, letting his sword disperse. He smiled at her. "Thank you," he told her as he squeezed her hand gently. He didn't really know what to think. They still had to defeat the Ice Queen, but other than that, the land was his family's again. He glanced at his brother before looking up to the Sun. He sent a silent Thank you, to him, too, for helping. "Let's head back," he suggested to the Princess. He was sure his mother was worried sick and would want to know about this... interesting development. They seemed to be done here, and it was still too cold for his liking, even though his Fire coursed through him.

Miria paced anxiously, waiting impatiently for them go get back.

The land was gory as it was lathered with blood and dirt. But the Sun was shining again and the warmth has begun to settle in. Soldiers of the Orian dispersed and took the defeated soldiers to a camp where they could either die or be put to sleep. It would take some time to clean up the area to make it habitable for a whole kingdom again, but at least it was theirs.

When Zachary suggested they head back, Edrea looked around before nodding. The battle didn't last very long so that damage wasn't much. "Let's go." She smiled at him, letting the other guards take Aere by the hands. There was no use for his powers under Edrea's force field. He'd only end up hurting himself.

"High Guard Arthran, please ensure the shields are up and we will never be attacked again." Edrea ordered as she nodded and smiled at other soldiers. "Open up the portals, we're heading back," she called to Molrim. "I will send more healers to help with the wounded. Allow the soldiers to rest and heal up tomorrow." She stayed back a bit as they walked off, letting go of Zach's hand.

"We will commence our attack with the Dawntreaders on the next light," she whispered in a low voice, taking care that Aere or any other Dawntreader soldier won't hear. If they had a way of communicating with the Dawntreader, she didn't want to risk it. Molrim nodded at her before he bowed and went on his way.

Edrea jogged to catch up with Zach and the small group as they were taking home. Her hand slipped naturally inside his with her barely noticing it. It had simply become a force of habit.