Fire Emblem Fates - The Ocean's Silent Waves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klaus~

Jasmine's passing glances, each filled with hints of suspicion, creeping doubt over the doctor's ulterior motives, gave Klaus an odd relief. He was much more panicked when around people that never expressed their uncertainty, for they were either empty-headed or devious enough to wear a false visage. Jasmine was neither. He took note of the young woman's name. It was a peculiar one, for a Hoshidan, that is. "The pleasure is all mine," the doctor's formality was beset with his signature brand of monotone. His voice concealed a seething rage. "I hope you can pardon my ghastly appearance, milady. I am stricken with Nohr's ancient medical attire. Tradition dictates that I do not expose myself to any deadly miasmas." That was Klaus' preferred way to explain his mask to strangers. A tiny sliver of truth was embedded into the story. His mask was a barrier that no soul could reach, no disease could assail, no judge could condemn. The doctor's reputation as a demonic figure in many parts of the world thankfully went unmentioned. "May I inquire about your thoughts of Prince Corrin? What is it like to be whisked halfway across the world for the sake of one person?"

Sapphira~

A meager pile of stolen bread accumulated on Sapphira's street corner. Just this once, she thought at first. But her stomach growled angrily, furious that it was not given a single decent morsel for the longest time. Just bread. Tasteless, cold. The young girl was tired, having been chased out of a bakery on the other side of town, only to come out with a pastry or two. Sapphira was largely unsure of where she was now, besides the fact that it was a busy section of town. People walked to and fro ceaselessly. Sighing, the former maid began to nibble on a small piece of stale bread. Something very odd entered Sapphira's weary gaze; a man in heavy armor, the origin of which was unrecognizable to her, walked into the building that she was sitting outside of. Instantly her nerves fired. Her only thought was to see what this man was doing. The silver plates clamped around his chest were too grand for a mercenary. Was he a nobleman? Sapphira stepped up to the door of the inn, opening it slightly, eager to learn about the new visitor, yet too afraid to approach.

Last edited:
Jasmine took in his words and tone carefully so she could properly respond. Or at least attempt to.
"I see. Tradition is tradition after all." she said with a slight nod at his explanation of his mask. "Though I wouldn't personally call your appearance ghastly." she added thoughtfully and sincerely. At the mention of the naive Prince, the young Hoshidan would look Corrin's way. "I admittedly knew little of Prince Corrin. But of what I do know, and what I have learned in these past days is that he is brave, though some may say foolish. His heart is in the right place and for that I can see why Prince Ryoma and Prince Xander love him so dearly. I was asked by Lord Ryoma to make sure that Prince Corrin be taken care of, and even though I do plan to fulfill that duty I have come to realize that even though it's been only days since I first stepped foot on the battlefield that although the task set before us is tiring it is worth the effort put forth." with a nod of confirmation, the ninteen year old would return her gaze to the man before her. She hoped her answers were clear enough for him.

While Sety had been intentionally baiting the man for information about what he and such a large company of people were doing in this small town, she was still taken aback by the amount of information he so freely gave her. She gave him a skeptical once-over to see if he appeared to be joking or messing with her but he seemed utterly serious and she struggled to compose herself in her surprise well enough to provide an answer to all of that.

"Well, uh, if his condition is that serious, I suppose you ought to hurry to the healer, then. I'd help but I would have no better idea than you where to find one," she offered finally, a slight shrug at the end of the last sentence. She thought over what he'd just said, turning the pieces over in her thoughts like parts of a puzzle. A young noble from an undisclosed location to the north? She flicked through the various nobles in her mind, trying to discern if she knew the noble in question. If they were headed to Izumo to try to seek healers there, were they too far from the native country or unwelcome? An important question. There had been trouble in the Hoshidan capital not days ago, a large part of the reason she was headed with such haste down into the country. Where there was trouble, there were often people who wanted a clever hand with a sword and would pay good money for it.

Not wanting to hold up what she assumed was a matter of some urgency, Sety turned from the man with whom she'd been speaking and cast a glance in the direction that he himself had looked when he spoke of the other members of his group, assuming that this was an indication of the direction that he had come from. With some time to kill, surely a peek at this ragtag band he'd spoke of couldn't hurt? She was itching to know what noble it was that had managed to get themselves injured. Curiosity, for one. And for the other, knowledge was power and could forecast the best place for one to find trouble. To an outsider, Sety might look like she just happened to be at the right place at the right time (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) but in truth, it was usually following the signs to places where trouble was brewing.

"I suppose I could lend a hand if you've horses that need taken to the stables? Where are the rest?"

Audric couldn't help but feel a bit suspicious of the young woman even with his logic prevailing over his caution. He wanted to trust her but so many times had he been tricked into helping some only to have to cleave an entire unit of bandits apart for his naivety. He didn't want to let his group fall into bad hands even with Saito watching over it. An experienced Samurai was invaluable to the cause at hand and he was grateful for the help. All the same he had to end this conversation quickly enough. "They should be here soon enough. We have only one horse and it's caretaker is a troubadour from the land of Nohr. One woman has a wyvern so either way our mounts will be taken care of by the people they are owned by. If you want to help our group then just stick with me. I'm going to go back to my group now and inform them that they have a place to stay at. Then I'm taking the young prince to the doctor too see if they can further suspend the looming reaper that floats over my charge. Truth be told young lady I have no doubts in my mind what I'm doing will not end well but I will do what I must and I even if I fail I want to say I gave it my all. The boy had declared himself a enemy of Hoshido and Nohr so Izumo is the only nation within arms throw of actually helping us. And given the circumstances of his injuries it's unlikely anything but the best of healers could fix. Now if you don't mind I'll be heading off follow me if you must." Audric said as he moved back retracing his steps hoping his group didn't kill each other when he was absent. Was it THAT hard for Hoshidans and Nohrians too get along? Really it's a wonder this war didn't happen sooner truth be told. The young noble moved forward with purpose hoping these innocent folk could do something for him.

Klaus smirked a bit, envying Jasmine's strong sense of determination. It was the line that divided healer and soldier. The former was compelled by their duties, consumed by them, the latter lived to fulfill the ideas behind their duties. Inwardly the doctor looked at all of it with a sense of karma, deeply wondering if Corrin's death would force the Nohrian royals to feel actual loss. Bring them down a notch... But the thought dissipated as quickly as it had emerged. Klaus was met with a soreness in his chest, merely from considering the pain that would be done on Lady Elise. The doctor's hidden smirk faded slowly. He retreated into a state of muteness, confounded by the indifference of the clouds above. The gods were testing him, or so it seemed, and Klaus was content with the world, as long as that one simple fact never changed. It explained the nature of war in a way that a healer never could. "I can never say that I knew Lord Xander that well personally. Dignified, but aloof. If I were to have anything in common with you Hoshidans, it would be a dislike for Garon and his underlings. I've been wondering endlessly, what makes Corrin so different? He's not like the rest of us. He's like Audric, in a sense, following his own heart. It's for that reason that I can't stomach the thought of Corrin as a traitor to my country."

A horse and a wyvern, interesting companions to travel with indeed. The young man's continued remarks made Sety inwardly more than a little skeptical about their chances for success at... most everything, really. The troubadours, form her experience, were less in tune with their mounts than those who relied on the horses to assist them in actual combat: he might be receptive to her lending a hand in stabling the animal. Wyvern riders came as a mixed bag, some with temperamental steeds who wouldn't let a soul else touch them and some who had what Sety could best describe as "great scaly horses". From Nohr, she frowned a little to herself. Though those from Nohr were objectively not worse than others, there was a certain desperation that came with the dark land that seeped from the ruler and into the people. Banditry and general crime seemed more prevalent there than in others and a looser view of ethics often accompanied it. Not that this was something she couldn't come to terms with, of course. She was a mercenary, after all. Just something to keep an eye on.

The injured party was an enemy to both countries now, then? That was interesting news as well and explained their flight to the neutral country. This, if not the reasons behind him becoming an enemy of both, was understandable to her and made Sety feel a little more comfortable being able to at least grasp their motives. The young man didn't seem enthusiastic for her to come along but offered all the same and her curiosity still got the best of her. She did have time to spare.

"All right, then! Maybe I can lend a hand to you, being neighborly and the like. Karma pays those who pay others. Or something like that, right? Anyway, the point is, you've an injured party and I can help pick up some slack."

Last edited by a moderator:
Audric ran back to his group at a steady pace his armor clanking and his axe swinging wildly on his hips as he came too a stop as the group approached the village through the fields. A few of the villagers gawked at the sight of the group. Some not used to the fact a wyvern was there, others worried about the fact there were Nohrians among Hoshidans. Audric however paid them no mind as he ran up to Saito. The grizzled black armored samurai nodded at Audric who had gratefully smiled at him. "Listen up everyone! I've got us an inn for the night. It's already pre-paid by my own pocket so you don't need to worry about costs. However for your animals you may need too find somewhere for them to rest yourselves. There's a stable for your horse near the inn maybe you can go there Klaus. I don't know where to keep a wyvern at. Regardless I'm taking Corrin with me too the local herbalist see if we can further delay the process. Chances are he won't be cured entirely of his wounds medicine can only do so much that heal staves can't. You all can rest at the inn. I'll be back with you all when I can." Audric said loudly too make sure his group could hear him clearly. Audric gave directions to the inn quickly. He then went over to Corrin as Felicia ran over to his side and proclaimed, "I won't leave Lord Corrin's side! Please let me go with you." Felicia was Corrin servant after all of course she'd want to come with him. Azura however smiled at Felicia before turning to Audric, "Lord Audric please allow me to accompany you. I would like to see if I could be of assistance in anyway even if I can't I'd prefer to stay with Corrin." Azura said serenely as she stood up getting off the cart. Audric nodded at her and then turned to Jasmine, "Thank you for for keeping a look out. You're dismissed from guard duty for today go relax. Alright everyone I'm off please take care of yourselves and behave while I keep our little lordling alive." Audric said as he walked over and slowly picked up Corrin with the help of Felicia and hoisted him over his back. The lord was thin but he was still somewhat heavy all things considered. It helped that Audric was wearing his battle armor and he was tired but he wouldn't let Felicia or Azura carry his burden. "Good luck Mr. Audric. I'm going to go get something to drink. It's been one heck of a walk." Milow stated as he turned away from the two he was talking too and made his way towards the inn. Saito also calmly made his way towards the inn as well the trio made their way towards the local doctor but Audric stopped a moment before he turned back to the mercenary girl. "Oh yeah and this is...a mercenary girl who wanted to help us. My name is Audric for reference sake. Go with them I don't think you'll be needed with me."

Klaus~

The doctor felt a sudden relief as Audric returned to the weary ensemble. The nobleman's face told as much as it needed to, and Klaus was assured that all had gone well in town. Azura was the first to get out of the cart, while Corrin was taken into Audric's sturdy arms. A glimmer of hope, faint as could be, sparked with the moment. Klaus abruptly stepped aside from Jasmine, to detach the cart from his horse. He heaved his body onto the steed, ready to take it down to the stables as ordered. Yet, for a solid minute or two the doctor stared at the makeshift army, watching them shift around with every command. He then galloped into the distance. The stables surely couldn't have been very far, given how little time it took for Audric to find the inn that accompanied it.

Sapphira~

The nobleman that Sapphira had so carelessly spied on made way for the door, and instinctively the young girl leaped back, throwing her body to the side to avoid being seen. She looked on forlornly as he faded into the background. Sapphira aimed her gaze at the pristine ground, a notable feature of Izumo that Nohr utterly lacked, and she returned to her street corner of pilfered bread. Ironically a handful of biscuits had been stolen from her, almost as if karma was exacting its revenge. She sat down listlessly. Maybe something else noteworthy would stop by at any moment.

Klaus's words caused Jasmine to think of what she could possibly say in response. But Audric had returned with news of where the Nhorian could put his horse and the plab for what would be done for Corrin. When Audric spoke to her specifically she gave a firm nod and a smile as she replied with; "I am glad to be of service to you and the rest, Lord Audric." while placing a hand on her hip. She notice Klaus move away from her to take his horse to the stables. She then glanced to the mercenary that had came along with Audric. Huh. Who would of thought that she would somehow get tangled up with a ragtag group in a war like this? She continued to ponder this as she walked to the inn, deciding to take Audric's word and rest for a while. Though her smile fell as she thought about Corrin and Ryoma. She wondered how the high Prince was currently doing?

The way to the inn was rather uneventful for everyone involved and the public quickly started to mumble about the strange situation suddenly coming forth in their village. Some mumbled about the war truly being here, others wondering why there was a samurai with a man of apparent Nohrian descent. Some were baffled by the dragon and others were wondering why there was a creepy troubadour with them. However no one spoke about this openly. When everyone got the the inn the inn keeper welcomed them and offered them all a drink and some food if they wanted it though some would have to wait if they wanted more as the inn keeper hadn't expected his inn to fill up so quickly. The inn was more or less completely non-descript and ordinary. It would be up to the group to find their own entertainment or explore the town while Audric finished his business with the town's healer.

====

Audric picked up Corrin slowly and gingerly as Felicia stood to his other side to make sure she could be there in case Corrin dropped something or Audric needed help moving Corrin. Azura hummed what Audric remembered to be a Hoshidan children's song as she walked in front of Audric towards the door and knocked on it. "Oh Lord Audric...I don't know about this. I don't want to complain but this isn't exactly professional help. I mean we sh-" Felicia said with worry as Audric grunted and passed it off as nonsense, "Don't let your emotions drive you like this Felicia I know you love your master but he can't simply be left on his own. Even if this man can just give him some proper stitches, or some medicine it will let us get too Izumo easier. I'm sorry Felicia I'm trying my best but I'm one man and my home is all the way in Nohr. I can't risk going through Nohr and angering Ryoma." Audric commented as he prepared himself for what was too come.

When Audric finally got to the door it finally opened after Azura had knocked five times. "Hello mister. I am Azura and this if Felicia and my warrior companion is Audric would you be able to take a look over our friend Corrin please? He was injured by magical weapons and while we can't expect you to fully heal him we could use any help you can give to us." Azura said with a smile to an elderly man with thick grey hair who simply smiled at them and nodded. "I'd be happy to help." commented the man quietly as Audric thanked him and had Felicia help Corrin into the house.

Last edited:
Klaus trudged along the well-kept streets of Izumo. It contrasted Nohr so greatly that the doctor was internally disturbed. He purposefully remained in the back of the group, sighing with consolation as the inn came into view amidst the swarming crowds. His legs wobbled tiredly, and even using his staff as a cane provided minimal relief. Audric, Azura, Corrin, and Felicia departed in unison, yet Klaus chose to stop walking as he approached the inn's welcoming door. He felt as though something was watching him. It was a feeling that he was all-too accustomed with. Klaus knew that it must have been something other than the curious citizenry, who seemed as harmless as one could imagine. He waited until the rest of the army headed inside the building, where he turned around, hoping to confirm his suspicions. On the opposite side of the street was a young girl with vibrant blue hair, and the doctor cringed at the sight. There was no doubt that it was the same girl that he had helped back in Nohr. Klaus steadily progressed through a hoard of people, watching as the girl aimed her gaze solemnly at the ground. "Get up." The doctor ordered. The girl jumped a little, looking up to see who had spoken. "By the gods..." the girl murmured.

"You shouldn't be out this far from home," Klaus observed judgmentally.

"B-but I don't have anywhere to go!" Sapphira started to tear up. She felt an absence of fear, knowing that she had accomplished her goal of finding the infamous doctor, despite the strife that came along with it.

"Follow me. You won't be able to survive on just a few loaves of bread."

Jasmine had been taking a second or two to rest her legs. Afterwards ahe decided to explore the town for a bit. Getting up from where she sat she went to leave the inn, noticing Klaus talking with a blue haired girl dressed like a maid across the road. How interesting. The young Hoshidan gave a slight tilt of her head before addressing them with a nod of greeting. She didn't mind whether or not either noticed the action or her presence all together. She'd be on her way siin enough to get a look around and a feel if the place-she was almost eager to see something slightly different than just grass, dirt roads, and the occasional building that they had been subjected to a majority of the way here. Though, she did wonder if Klaus knew the girl. Then again it wasn't her place to be nosy and pry.

Status
Not open for further replies.