FateGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds good. I imagine we have a small chapel attached to the church, where we can meet from time to time if the need arises. I figure most of us keep our weapons and armour at home, since we're only a night watch and there's hardly any need for a permanent militia during the day. But a room or two provided by the generosity of the church, where we can pray or re-sanctify our equipment, or bury comrades, would be cool.

Hey, Asmo? I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to post. Does this sound good:

Aloysius is arguing with one of the loggers because he wants to help them with lifting the timber. One of the loggers (or maybe a couple) are refusing his help because they are under orders from Corben that Aloysius is not to help due to his bruised back. Aloysius goes to the library and encounters his older sister and they talk about boring crap. Then he hears the news about the murder from whoever gives it to him and he goes to assemble with the rest of the FateGuards.

I wouldn't worry about the content, so long as you end up where you want to be. Just write whatever pleases you.

Heh, thanks for the advice.

My self-esteem in writing is somewhat...low.

Though I do want to make sure Asmo's okay with me making up the aspect that Corben ordered the loggers not to let Aloysius help them, since Asmo didn't make that.

Hey is it officially night again or do I still get quality time with Tahan?

You shouldn't be. RP is, in part, a collaborative effort. Everyone writes what they want in their own style. Please yourself first, and usually as a bonus you write something that others enjoy reading.

Orion: Dunno. Same goes for ampoule. Maybe we can time jump.

I'm gone for three days and all this happens?

Oh, I guess it isn't really all that much...

Lovedove, there wouldn't be a public library in a Medieval city, but maybe a private one run by the church and accessible to the FateGuard, so that's fine. And yes, Corben could have given an order for you to rest up.

And as an amendment to what Unanun said, yes - you can write whatever pleases you, as long as it doesn't cause a massive plothole that devours other players and cripples their ability to continue.

In my opinion, the first duty of a roleplayer is to their co-players, otherwise they should go sit on their own table and write a novel.

*punches an Athenian*

But! If first and foremost we RP to please each other it leads to circular dependence. Writing prose that we ourselves find good, while adhering to some overall goal, serves to inject variety and uniqueness, which is what makes RP rather unique because you see many different styles combined into one, versus a novel.

Writing prose that you enjoy and writing prose that supports the group effort should not be mutually exclusive.

Variety and uniqueness come from the chances you give each other, not from how edgy and obscure you push yourself to be.

Anyone can write stylistic crap that only they understand. It takes true talent to use your style collaboratively.

Sure.

Not sure why you are fixated on the loner thing though; the main reason anyone RPs is to have an interactive story, right?

Sexy, scheming wife. >:)

*reserves the NPC for Tegan*

Sure.

Not sure why you are fixated on the loner thing though; the main reason anyone RPs is to have an interactive story, right?
Speak for yourself, not for others.

Anyways, I don't know about you and Asmo, but I came here to RP, not debate the philosophical reasons behind how and why we RP, so if you'd please take this somewhere else, that'd be much appreciated.

Know if you'll excuse me, I must prep my falcon for flight. *checks all the lights in the cockpit*

I don't recall ever mentioning you in my discussion of anything.

Sounds good to me. *puts his rhetoric books away*

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, TNT. Clara's running to alert you and the birdie. I assume you figured that out.

Not sure why you are fixated on the loner thing though

Maybe I'm completely missing the point, but I just need to say this. I did a loner bit on one of Asmo's RPs once. A little something called Legacy. Intermingled with my own NPCs. It did not go well. I got bored with myself. I tried to think up new creative ways to entertain myself and it spiraled completely out of control. In fact I look back on that and ask myself what the fuck I was thinking. I still have a great deal of self-loathing over that ordeal. I'm not entirely sure if I was ever forgiven for that, spoken or otherwise. I'm not sure if I ever even apologized for that. Its one of the reasons I haven't heavily committed to an RP in a dogs age before now. And that's what can happen when you write what you enjoy first and foremost without any regard for the other players.

I get that there are people who might call me a hypocrite for saying this stuff, but I have to say that writing what you want is okay but only to an extent in an RP. You really do have to mix what works for the greater good of the RP. If your particular style naturally fits with the RP and the people in it? Great. Fantastic. All the more power to you. But if it means shutting up and jumping on a ride that's on the plot track for awhile that has to happen too.

That's just my two cents. I'll shut up now.

Well .. of course! I think I may have done it once or twice, 6 or 7 years back when I first started, and it immediately felt wrong.

I think we may have diverged on what 'loner' means. In any case, I don't RP to have my characters read a book on their own or something.

Anyway...

OOOOOH! THERE'S BEEN A NIGHTMARE MURDER ON HELM STREET!

Posted.

Hope it's good. (thumbs up)

I HOPE THE STAY PUFT MARSHMALLOW MAN COMES TO GOTHENHEIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.