Fantasy, Modern Fantasy, or Post-Apocalyptic RP Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zeroisdead

Original poster
After several months I have finally decided to return and (hopefully) start up a new RP. I don't have much in terms of plans at the moment, but I would like whatever RP I eventually start up to be a mostly character driven with some exploration elements (you can blame certain open world games for that). Also, I will be updating this thread whenever I develop more details on the world/plot, so if you are kinda interested but want to wait until there is more information, keep an eye out.

My current thought process is that the RP would follow the story of a (ideally) interesting group of characters as they learn more about the secrets of world they live in. My current thoughts on the setting are a few options:
  1. A fantasy world where magic does exist but is incredibly rare.
  2. A modern fantasy world with bustling cities full of mages and mythological creatures and several divisions of races and long time mysteries.
  3. A post-apocalyptic world where there are few people and nature has begun to take over the once inhabited cities and towns.
  4. A mix of them, a fantasy-like world with some magic and mythical creatures that grew from the ashes of a once great civilization where people have become unfamiliar with the previously existing civilization but posses some level of steampunk-ish technology.

I was hoping this would be more of a long term group activity, hence me seeing if there is any interest while the idea is till in development, so that there is plenty of time for anyone who is interested to provide input ideas/suggestions and to sort out how characters exist in the world. I'm a big fan of character backgrounds that somehow tie into the main plot, but this detail is not that necessary.

Anyways, if you are interested, have any suggestions, or just want to give your opinion of something, please feel free to reply.

Update:
My current thought process is that the RP will be taking place shortly after anomaly occurs, an entire city disappearing out of nowhere, seeming almost as it it had been scooped right out of the ground all of the people gone as well, (other options for strange events I have been considering are: unexplained explosion? people going missing? sink hole?) following a group of people (volunteers?professionals?a suicide squad type situation? or perhaps just curious?) that are investigating the cause of the event, leading them to some sort of secret. Yes I do have plans after that, but maybe it would be more interesting if you don't know what you'll find. This will most likely take place in setting 2, but with some of setting 4 once the characters arrive to the location of the anomaly, having to deal with survival elements in a once inhabited area being destroyed.

Another possibility is that the characters where in the city when it disappeared (or something else happened to it), and now must survive and figure out exactly what happened and what to do next. This may appeal more to those wanting a more post-apocalyptic approach.

Both I can be either 2 or 4 (both were designed with the possibility of being both at once). But I would like to hear your guy's opinions and other ideas before I go any further that way if people don't really like the idea that much, I don't have much and can easily start over.

Thanks! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey~hey!!^^

I'm liking number 4!! But. Like preferably in a slow reveal with tidbits of known facts about the past. Like a slowly unravelling mystery type adventure! But that's just Boo's opinion ;D

~edz~ oh yeah and prolly limit the types of playable races? Like unless you're going for a wild, alien~esque and bonkers feel I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeroisdead
I'm interested in any and all. Two and four are my favorites, and I'm somewhat more hesitant with one because I'm hella rusty at straight fantasy, but consider me interested regardless. c:

Also, is the "certain open world game" Dragon Age? If it is, I'm right there with you, friend.

I'm interested in 2 and 3! Modern fantasy and apocalyptic is my specialty.

Okay, thank you all for the responses! ^^
Im still working out the extra details, but I should be posting sometime within the next couple days.

Hey~hey!!^^

I'm liking number 4!! But. Like preferably in a slow reveal with tidbits of known facts about the past. Like a slowly unravelling mystery type adventure! But that's just Boo's opinion ;D

~edz~ oh yeah and prolly limit the types of playable races? Like unless you're going for a wild, alien~esque and bonkers feel I guess.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing on the slow mystery elements.
The playable races will be limited of course, but I'm willing to accept unlisted races that people want to be depending on what it is.

I'm interested in any and all. Two and four are my favorites, and I'm somewhat more hesitant with one because I'm hella rusty at straight fantasy, but consider me interested regardless. c:

Also, is the "certain open world game" Dragon Age? If it is, I'm right there with you, friend.
That was one of them, the main one though was Breath of the Wild.

Reactions: Spectre of the Fade
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing on the slow mystery elements.
The playable races will be limited of course, but I'm willing to accept unlisted races that people want to be depending on what it is.

That was one of them, the main one though was Breath of the Wild.

K but the reason I feel like there should be a tight reign on playable "races" in a wide open post apoc fantasy is cuz of the 'special snowflake syndrome'. Like I swear if err'body goes unique obscure wild and unique special snowflake race... well regardless of acceptance Boo will submit her appie as a winged effin bloodthirsty dual katana weilding unicorn whose parents were killed by the gnome equivalent of Megatron. No for reals bruh. Just test the Boo Girlie >:[ rawr!

...just saying ;P

K but the reason I feel like there should be a tight reign on playable "races" in a wide open post apoc fantasy is cuz of the 'special snowflake syndrome'. Like I swear if err'body goes unique obscure wild and unique special snowflake race... well regardless of acceptance Boo will submit her appie as a winged effin bloodthirsty dual katana weilding unicorn whose parents were killed by the gnome equivalent of Megatron. No for reals bruh. Just test the Boo Girlie >:[ rawr!

...just saying ;P
Oh no, nothing like that. I really hate the whole "oooooh hhh maan my characte r is sooooo ooo o o o coooollllll" thing. All races I try to integrate into the world instead of just having letting one person of a race exist. I can be a real stickler when it comes to making sure characters aren't absolutely ridiculous or completely OP

Oh no, nothing like that. I really hate the whole "oooooh hhh maan my characte r is sooooo ooo o o o coooollllll" thing. All races I try to integrate into the world instead of just having letting one person of a race exist. I can be a real stickler when it comes to making sure characters aren't absolutely ridiculous or completely OP
Riiiiiiight...

K welllll soooooo like the Boo Girlie is still interested. BUT!! Still gots muh winged unicorn all typed up and ready to go bruh! ! Like katanas, tragic backstory and evil transformers and all k?! Test Boo and like BOOOOM!!! you done, son!!! Complete with bunny Paladin Deadpool rider too k!?!

Kk. Ya been warned. ¤_¤!! Right. Waiting on err'body else now!! Where ya at?!

Expressing my initial interest for number 2 and 4!

A question! Will our characters matter in the grand scheme of things? Will their actions end up shaping the world? I don't want to unknowingly play a glorified mook whose presence is meaningless.

I shall express my interest for 2 and 4!
Also, agree with everything discussed thus far

Expressing my initial interest for number 2 and 4!

A question! Will our characters matter in the grand scheme of things? Will their actions end up shaping the world? I don't want to unknowingly play a glorified mook whose presence is meaningless.

Yes of course your characters will be making an impact. What's the point of following their story otherwise?

• Thank You
Reactions: Izurich
Options 1 and 3 have been crossed off the the list due to lack of interest. I will be updating the post with some updated ideas later today.

Due to peer pressure... nah. Own interests, I would like to see what you do with ideas 2 and 4. If you're interested, I may have an idea that combines these two. If you're interested, let me know and I'll tell you all the details.

Due to peer pressure... nah. Own interests, I would like to see what you do with ideas 2 and 4. If you're interested, I may have an idea that combines these two. If you're interested, let me know and I'll tell you all the details.
Sure go ahead. I'm always interested in people's ideas.

I will have to wait until tomorrow to post the updates, I was unfortunately kept after school for a project longer than I had originally expected.

Reactions: Poppet
Okay so, I did have a plot sorted out, but was really unhappy with the way it was turning out an scrapped it.

My current thought process is that the RP will be taking place shortly after anomaly occurs, an entire city disappearing out of nowhere, seeming almost as it it had been scooped right out of the ground all of the people gone as well, (other options for strange events I have been considering are: unexplained explosion? people going missing? sink hole?) following a group of people (volunteers?professionals?a suicide squad type situation? or perhaps just curious?) that are investigating the cause of the event, leading them to some sort of secret. Yes I do have plans after that, but maybe it would be more interesting if you don't know what you'll find. This will most likely take place in setting 2, but with some of setting 4 once the characters arrive to the location of the anomaly, having to deal with survival elements in a once inhabited area being destroyed.

Another possibility is that the characters where in the city when it disappeared (or something else happened to it), and now must survive and figure out exactly what happened and what to do next. This may appeal more to those wanting a more post-apocalyptic approach.

Both I can be either 2 or 4 (both were designed with the possibility of being both at once). But I would like to hear your guy's opinions and other ideas before I go any further that way if people don't really like the idea that much, I don't have much and can easily start over.

Thanks for your guy's patience, I really appreciate it.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Well, I like this^ idea here. But a reason to investigate that links us together is important. Maybe have 2 types of groups together kinda like Suicide Squad in that like there was a government interested party and a separate private one as well? And like while I don't mind if it is a Suicide Squad type mission, like I don't think that we necessarily have to be all prisoners/baddies ~^^!!

Well, I like this^ idea here. But a reason to investigate that links us together is important. Maybe have 2 types of groups together kinda like Suicide Squad in that like there was a government interested party and a separate private one as well? And like while I don't mind if it is a Suicide Squad type mission, like I don't think that we necessarily have to be all prisoners/baddies ~^^!!
Yeah, I'll be sure to give you guys multiple options.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for your input!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
I've never done straight fantasy but I do steampunk a lot! I hope you do four because it sounds amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.