FandOOmsday (See Inside for Details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. I'm up.

Don't see many of them multiverse (fandom) around.

Reactions: Lissamel
The matter about the base, seems like it would be very definitive.

Land-based like mystery machine is more vulnerable darker feel. Trying to live through something
Air-based is more of a heroic or agents feel. Going on missions.

Also, noticing a lot of duo talk. The doos as the classic friends. B&K as the classic romance, Aria and Jasper as the opposites. Might be something could be done with that thematically. Or even in a more practical/community-building sense if each of the duo was being played by a different player. Could create a really interesting experience. Only problem being finding duos more than one person is comfortable with. Like for myself, I could definitely pull off Scooby Doo or Ah! My Goddess but have never even heard of Afterlife or Translators.

We don't all have to play two characters, it's more or less just an option for those who think they can handle it.

I'm probably just gonna take Shaggy alone, but I've also played him with Scooby in the past.

Yeah, the duo thing might be difficult to pull off if we're not all familiar with the fandoms, but it's an interesting premise for those who seem capable of it.

For me, it's about the relationships. Especially in a mash-up like this one.

I don't know about you, but I feel like things get a lot better when the character I play can connect to the character another person plays.

Take Scooby-Doo for example. One of the first characters ever to be one of my favorites. I love him, I grew up with him. I would never have chosen to play him, because on his own he's a talking dog. Throw somebody else playing Shaggy (and for me it has to be Shaggy, not a Fred or Velma) into the deal and that's a whole lot more interesting to me personally.

The way I feel about Keiichi and Belldandy, I could write either one or both. I love the nuance of their relationship and the nuances of their personalities. They make being nice look interesting and cool. So I need them both to be in the game, but I could do either one.

Now, when I see a couple of players listing many characters and talking about diverse characters, that makes me think the player has some experience and just wants to do something they never did before. Especially in a case like Lissamel, where I don't even know any of the IPs they are talking about. The desire to do this in a whole new way. So maybe this is it, coming into a multifandom game which includes already-existent relationships instead of just a group of strangers. Maybe it's not, that's OK too.

So I'm just going to speak for myself lay it out there: if somebody takes Keiichi or Belldandy, then I'll be very happy to pick up Scooby just to see how this might all play out.

- Simon Petrikov (Adventure Time) [Apocalypse-era in-his-own-canon; wow I just realized how well that works]
- Cedric the Sorcerer (Sofia the First) [I happen to like dork wizards don't judge]
- Fred Bonaparte (Psychonauts) [Help him]
- Peacock (Skullgirls) [Comic relief is a must-have, bwahahah]
- Wirt (Over the Garden Wall) [All abord the SS Angsty Poetry, toot toot]
So these are the ones I'm most familiar with.. and frankly any of them would be fun to interact with!

As for the base thing.. well I remembered that Samus' gunship is just that... a gunship lol. It's not meant for more than a crew of 1. I THINK it could hold others, but... well I mean she's a bounty hunter. So whatever room would be in her ship would be like a holding cell.

And speaking of.. I'm still not 100% sold on Samus. But my list is shorter! Kind of! So here's who I'm considering.. Keeping in mind Samus is still at the top of the list. I'd like everyone's opinion, please! Help me decide!
~Samus Aran
~Wolverine
~One of the Sailor Senshi
~One of the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers
~Himura Kenshin
~Renamon!
~Asuna (Sword Art Online)
~Korra
~Alphonse Elric
~Spiderman
~My Summoner character from Final Fantasy XI

Thoughts?

Alright, listening to what you all said, well...Maybe I should go with Jasper / Aria, since they require the least amount of context?

Put into perspective here, Afterlife is literally a SimCity-style Heaven and Hell building game--Meaning these two are more or less tutorial / guiding characters. There's not a lot to explain with them, so you don't have to worry about getting lost in me being a huge dork in-game contexts.

Buuuuuut I'unno. I'm still very much up in the air, and I'll definitely look nice and hard at the little blep Camleen quoted, hehe.

But Camleen if you pick the summoner I might have to do Cedric then since wizard friends

Ooh, I'd love to see one of the Sailor Senshi. Kenshin also sounds cool

though Sailor Mars is mine :T

@Camleen

Sorry. If this starts when I think it is, I can't join. Not that I'm trying to do a hiatus from roleplaying anyways. Love the concept though.

I'd be interested if the plot is interesting and depending on the other characters involved. If it's 95% anime characters probably won't be in my wheelhouse (no problem with anime, I just don't watch it and will have zero familiarity with the characters) but if the ratio of anime to non-anime is balanced I'd certainly be interested.

I'd be interested if the plot is interesting and depending on the other characters involved. If it's 95% anime characters probably won't be in my wheelhouse (no problem with anime, I just don't watch it and will have zero familiarity with the characters) but if the ratio of anime to non-anime is balanced I'd certainly be interested.
But isn't that part of the fun? Interacting with characters you're not real familiar with? You would know as much OOC as your character does IC. I dig that. You don't have to be wholly familiar with a character to be able to interact with one, and in a fun way!

• Love
Reactions: Verite
At this point, with a lot of people not yet having chosen characters, I'd guess that this is going to turn out less than 50% anime characters.

Which number is high because I became so interested in playing my two anime characters.

Which is ironic because if I had not been interested in Keiichi/Belldandy, I would probably feel lost in a game with too many anime characters myself because I also haven't seen much of that. Too many powers, too many nuances and sometimes hard to relate to. I'd say if Ah! My Goddess had been more like a Shonen anime, I probably would never have taken to them.

Maybe it will help if I explain the two then. Keiichi is a normal guy. So far, the most normal guy anybody has even openly thought about playing here. He's normal, and he's nice, and weird things happen to him. That's his thing. if I write him well, then he's probably the easiest guy to understand in the game.

Belldandy is meant to be a bit alien, to everybody. To normal mortals, to Keiichi, to other goddesses like her, even to her own sisters. Her own anime doesn't even quite seem to understand her in some ways, and she's very extremely the way she is. Which is also well described by "nice". So to a certain extent, nobody is supposed to have too much familiarity.

So those two look like they are going to be somewhere around half the anime characters in the game. Hope that helps.

So I have a vote for one of the Senshi (I'm looking at you Ami-Chan!) and mebbe Kenshin. @Lissamel, @mr_pibbs, @Kingof192 Who do you think would be a fun addition to our RP?

~Samus Aran
~Wolverine
~One of the Sailor Senshi
~One of the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers
~Himura Kenshin
~Renamon!
~Asuna (Sword Art Online)
~Korra
~Alphonse Elric
~Spiderman
~My Summoner character from Final Fantasy XI
~Chi
~Yoda
~Qui-Gon Jinn

@Kingof192 I dig the idea of Belldandy and mebbe Keiichi in the RP. Poor Belldandy would be so upset at everything that's happened!

That's the point, get those two out of the temple without changing their personalities. Which absolutely puts the emotional weight on Belldandy. I even pitched a thing a couple messages ago where she is under evil control a times.

I guess my feelings right now are that games where strangers meet should also have people familiar to them in the game or the social aspect will be lacking. My instinct is telling me that you and Lissamel could make something interesting happen by bringing in characters who are usually associated with each other in some way.

To be fair I'm not entirely well-versed in the canons Camleen is presenting; though if we wanna go 'similar in personality / ability' and have that be a sort of kick-off (so to speak) I could easily base my choice of character around that.

No no, id rather no one base their choice off of mine. I mean for compatibility's sake. I would feel bad if someone felt obligated to base their choice on mine. I'm having hard enough time picking one as is lol!
But if you'd like any background or personality info on any i listed, by all means ask

If not that, then how about choosing characters with different approaches to the same situation

The Doos running from everything
Belldandy upset about the suffering of the people
Keiichi scared, but game and not running.

So there could be a survivalist, a leader, a comic, someone trying to cash in on the situation, somebody who sees it as a mission and so on.

But isn't that part of the fun? Interacting with characters you're not real familiar with? You would know as much OOC as your character does IC. I dig that. You don't have to be wholly familiar with a character to be able to interact with one, and in a fun way!
Oh sure, I totally agree with you. That's why I said "balanced"... I don't want to be one of those people whose like "no anime ever". I just don't want to have a situation where we've got a bunch of anime characters and like me playing Indiana Jones or Mad Max. Basically I just don't want to be the poison in the well if most players want to focus on anime, ya know?

But really for me it'll be more about the story than anything that'll determine my interest. So I'm still very much interested in playing.

Ya know i thought of something while hiking this morning... wouldn't some of the characters have at least heard of one another? I mean they all exist in the same world, and most likely are pretty popular. Mebbe not like shaggy, ya know normal guy. But Samus Aran for example would be known in some circles as she is a pretty famous bounty hunter. does that make sense?

If the world is all native characters, then that generates a lot of questions. Very interesting for my pair.

So it looks like we have enough players even if we don't have character choices.

Okay, going with Samus Aran! And I'll say her ship is to damaged to achieve orbit. Because.. otherwise she would just achieve orbit. heh. I'm really anxious to see this get started now! lol!

So has anyone else decided firmly on whom they would play? I MIGHT NPC 'Baby', the infant Metroid. Maybe.

Have we thought about what dangers would exist in this world? Do we just want a mishmash of evil from differing genres? even if they aren't cooresponding to the heroes presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.