Expect The Unexpected

Heather was tense, right along with Ethan. She did not like seeing her mother act like this because it meant one thing.

She was not happy.

Her father either was oblivious to the way his wife was acting or he was prepared and knew that this was bound to happen with this kind of news. Either way, her father continued to munch down on the snacks happily as Mrs. Moore wandered into the kitchen slowly with Ethan, making sure that they were out of ear shot from the other two. For a moment there was nothing but silence as she wandered the kitchen, looking around at all the old appliances and the samples that had been placed on the floor. Eventually she turned towards Ethan, though she wasn't looking at him exactly as she spoke, mostly just observing the kitchen though her expression was serious.

"Ethan...I'm not a woman who easily becomes angry. However, I am a woman that easily becomes protective. Right now, my only child is sitting in that living room three months pregnant with your future children, probably having given up a lot for the sake of the little one in her. I know my daughter, and much like myself she believes in life. I know she will be a good mother for this child and I am happy to support her. This issue I am having is...you." She said before locking her eyes with him.

"I don't know you, I just met you. For all I know, you might have bad intentions for my daughter. I want to know that she'll be taken care of, that she'll be given the life she deserves and that you will be a good father to that child. More importantly...I want to know that my daughter will be made a decent woman...I don't want any bullshit. You either promise to put a ring on my baby's finger or so help me you will regret even thinking about sleeping in the same room with her."

With that said, she started to smile, putting on a rather sweet face as she moved over to him and place a hand on his shoulder.

"You look like a smart man Ethan, one that his truly dedicated to my little girl. I mean, three months is a long time for a man to stick around if he doesn't want to have kids. I just want to know that I'll see my baby in white before I die. That's all...So, we understand the terms, yes?" She finally asked as she smiled at him.

Ethan didn't say a word, but just followed Heather's mother back into the kitchen. Back in the Kitchen they were out of Earshot of her husband and daughter. When the two got back there, the mother made it a point to make the room very silent. Anyone else in the room could have clearly felt the tension in the air. She just looked around the kitchen for awhile before turning to him. No, she didn't look directly at him but he knew that her focus was on him. The expression on her face read all her seriousness, a furious mother. The she started to speak, the exact same seriousness in her tone. She told him that she was a woman who wasn't one to anger, however she was one that was protective. Then the mother told him something that he already knew, that he had experienced from living with her for over three years. Ethan McCoy Knew how giving of a person Heather was and he knew that she was not only going to be a good mother but the best one. The man knew that the city girl had given up her New York in order to make a life that was suitable for her baby.

A life where the child could grow up out of any harm in a town where everyone would grow to love the child. Ethan locked eyes with the woman as she locked eyes with him, admitting to him that the woman's problem was him. He listened, she saying that she didn't know him and for all he knew he only had bad intentions for her daughter. The man tensed, clenching his jaw. The lady went onto say she wanted to, like any good mother, know that her daughter was going to be taken care of. She then told him that he needed to put a ring on her finger or he would regret it. Ethan McCoy watched as her demenor changed into something rather pleasant. The man understood...he would have been just as protective. She moved, placing a hand on his shoulder, making sure he understood the terms. Ethan kept his eyes locked with hers, the same seriousness in his own eyes...in his voice.

"With all due respect Mrs. Moore...From the time I went on the first date with your daughter I couldn't stand to look at other woman. All I knew was that she had that something special I wanted. The further things went The more I fell in love with her. I am not a teenager and when I say I love your daughter I mean it. She is my everything and I love her more than any words can express. Your daughter has made me the better man...saved my life even. I intend to put a ring on her finger...put her in white and let her Mama see her get married. Every last penny I have goes to in someway or another goes to my baby and Heather...I already love that baby just as much as I love your daughter. This...everything That I am so privlidged to have, I would be the biggest fool in this Universe to walk away from this. Weather anyone likes this or not I will devote the rest of my life to my child...to Heather. No matter what happend's she will always have me to lean on. So yes Mrs. Moore, Ma'am, the terms are Clear."

His voice was clear and everything about it read honesty.

"You don't have to worry about her...You have my word. And out here, A Man's word is his life."

Mrs. Moore smiled at Ethan, this time it having a large amount of sincerity in it. She placed her other hand on his free shoulder and gave them an encouraging squeeze before pulling back.

"That is all I needed to hear, Ethan. You seem like a smart man and a good one, especially if my baby had been happily by your side for so long. Your parents seemed to have raised you well also, as more men would have ran away in fear if I talked to them like that. I'm happy to know that my grandchildren will have such a nice and loving father. Now, I know my daughter will wholeheartedly protest receiving any financial help from her father and I, she hates spending our money for some reason. However, if there is any help you need, any money or jobs or anything that can help you two out. Call me and my husband. We may be retired but we have money and connections. Alright?" She said before looking as if she suddenly remembered something.

"Oh, and that reminds me...When the baby comes around...May sure you have strong hands. If my daughter is anything like me during birth well...let's just say you might walk out with your hand in a brace." She laughed a bit, knowing her own experiences at birth were less than gentle to her husband.

"Now let's get back to them, Heather probably thinks I killed out or something." She laughed as she turned and headed back into the living room.

"They have been in there way to long..."

"Don't worry Sweetie, your mother did this to your last three boyfriends and they weren't killed...Frightened away, yes, but killed. Not at all." Her father said as he continued to snack away slowly, his daughter glaring at him lightly to which he just chuckled.

"Heather, you mother just cares, forgive her if she's surprised that your big news wasn't the wedding she thought it would be. She's been chattering about it since she got the first email. All they way through Spain and Germany and France! Just let her set her rules and she'll be fine. Besides, he has a firm handshake, you white haired mother is the last thing that could probably scare him." He finished, just as her mother wandered back into the room with a happy smile.

"Alrighty, So now that I have what I want, congratulations baby~" Her mother cooed as she trotted over to her sitting daughter and hugged her, Heather glancing at Ethan over her mother's should and mouthing. 'What did you do?' to him.

Ethan was rather suprised when her mother placed her other free hand on his shoulder. She then gave him an encouraging squeeze before pulling back, him seeing the sencerity in her expression. He let out a sigh in relief, the tension sliding from his body. Ethan listened to the woman as she told him that was the only thing she needed to hear, that his parents had raised him well. That made him smile, because he saw how his parents had worked so hard to give him and his siblings everything they needed, and most of what they wanted. All of a sudden the father to be did not feel so afraid of introducing his parents to his girlfriend's parents. Though it might be a bit awkward at first he hoped in the end they would all come togeather; at the very least for the baby. He though believed that it would amount to more than that. It also helped that she believed he would be a good father. Then something else he knew about her...Heather would not take money from any person, no matter who they were. So when her mother told him to come to them if they ever stood in need of financial help he nodded.

"Of course. I know how stubborn Heather can be when it comes to these kind of things."

She then remembered something and he was curious when she told him that he would need strong hands. Before he had a chance to ask she said that he would need them because if Heather was as much her mother's daughter then he might need a hand brace. Both of them laughed at the same time, a happy smile erupting on his lips.

"No worries there, all the hard work growing up left me with firm hands."

Both of them then returned to the living room, Heather looking a bit worried. But her mother wandered over to them with a happy smile. She told him that now that she had gotten when she wanted he was happy. That was followed by a congradulations and a hug. During that Heather looked over her mothers shoulder and mouthed something to him. She asked what he did. Ethan chuckled and threw her a charming smile, mouthing something back. He told her: "I'll tell you later." His cellphone rang in his pocket and he pulled it out, excusing himself for a few moments.When he awnsered it was his father.

"Ethan, your mother got talking to a neighbor and I barely pulled her away. She is getting ready now but she is freaking out a bit. Sorry if we are late. How are Heather's parents?"

"Great...intresting but nice people. You and ma will love them. But I got to go now, I left Heather out there after dropping the bomb on them. See you at the Cafe."

After his father said bye he rejoined everyone in the living room. He sat down next to Heather, tucking his cell away as he did.

"Sorry, It was my parents. They just wanted to tell me something."

Heather just looked at him as he mouthed back 'I'll tell you later' before going off into another room to answer his cell phone and let her be with her parents alone for a moment. During that, her mother finally pulled back and smiled down at her, Heather still a little uncertain how her mother felt about all of it. However, it appeared as if the woman was just about as excited as her father was, giving her shoulders and encouraging squeeze before stepping back.

"You've grown so much, I keep forgetting you're old enough to have kids! Oh but this will be so nice, I've mentioned it to your father, kept telling him you needed to settle down and get married so that we could have grandchildren to spoil. I didn't expect it to be in reverse order though!" She said with a laugh before shaking her head.

"We'll be with you every step of the way, honey. If you need anything from us just let us know, alright? I mean it, do not force yourself to struggle because of your silly pride."

"Mom, we'll be fine. We're doing alright so far. Things are just going a little more slowly than normal because we have a lot to save up for. Usually I'd save up for one thing at a time but that really isn't the case right now." She said simply.

"Then let me help you! You know that I can just hop on a plane and spend a month here! Your father certainly wouldn't mind, he'll probably just golf at the club the whole time I'm gone."

"Without a doubt, Honey." Mr. Moore commented as he took another snack before dusting off his hands. "Alright, I'm starving, enough snacks! We can talk more with your boyfriends parents, they actually live in the state you know."

It was then that Ethan returned, mentioning it was his parents on the phone.

"Ah! Good to hear, now where are we eating and when? I just need something more filling than crackers, haven't eaten since breakfast because your mother didn't believe me when I told her there would be nothing along the road when we were in the car." Mr. Moore stated.

"Well how was I to know that Colorado really was this barren! You'd think they'd have gas stations closer together than just one city to another!" She defended as she looked to her husband.

Upon hearing Mr. Moore's question Ethan looked to him. Then listened as he told of his wife not believing him when he said gas stations were far and few between. Mrs. Moore immeditly jumped to defend herself by saying that logically there should be or should have been more gas stations along the way. Ethan chuckled and smiled at her mother.

"Well as far removed as this town is from the other towns everyone out here has learned every trick in the book for conserving gas...we have a station here in town and we don't get too many tourists. Because of that we didn't feel the need to build too many out here. A lot of this state is either on a nature reserve or state park...to some it would be a shame to violate the open area we have out here..."

He moved his gaze to her father, the same warm, friendly smile that most people in this town seemed to share, on his lips.

"Were going to eat at a place here in town called "The Bighorn Cafe". This place embodies who we are as a community plus the food is fantastic." He glanced up at the clock, it being around seven twenty. "Were meeting my parents there at about seven thirty so we better get going."

Ethan got to his feet and asked about, making sure everyone had a way over there. He grabbed his wallet and her pure, handing it off to her, before they went out to the car. He drove about five minuets from the house before they arrived at the cafe. It was a building, not too big but not too small, two stories high built in the fashion of a Log cabin. Inside the area was very open. A Bar was along the back of the cafe on the second story, serving stronger drinks to those of age. There were tables spread across the whole bottom and top floors, some obviously meant for bigger gatherings, some were longer so they would seat about six, and others just small round tables meant for dates or a night a food and drinks for two. The top floor was somewhat smaller than the bottom floor. There was a balcony so one, if they so desired, could look onto the controlled chaos below. A door on the ground floor lead off to the kitchen in the back. To top it all off there was a huge roaring fire place lit. It gave the place not only Heat but a warm, friendly, glow. The kind of glow and warmness that eminated a family feel. The whole place was buzzing, people...friends, family, were gathered here to chat, eat, drink what you wanted, and tell stories. It seemed like everyone here was a big family. Sure it wasn't a city cafe or what a cafe would typically be but this place was like a 2nd home to Ethan. Looking around he spotted his parents on the 2nd floor. He weaved around people who knew him and his family, they waving or trying to get his attention sometimes even trying to start a conversation. But he would tell them he would stop by to talk a different time. Finally they made it up to the table and got everyone seated. Ethan looked to her parents a smiled warmly, motioning to his as he spoke of each of them.

"This is my mother Anne McCoy and My Father John McCoy..."

His mother smiled, dressed in a very pretty sundress that suited her body shape and flattered her seeing as the woman already looked younger than she really was. Her brown hair was curled neatly into nearly perfect ringlets, the woman's usually perfect peachy complection a bit flushed and her grey eyes catching remaining sunlight making them flash brightly, happily. His father was dressed like usual but the clothes this time sporting no holes. He had a 5 o'clock shadow and shaggy but tamed reddish brown hair. His hair was streaked with age, grey strands of hair starting to grow. Like usual his father was silent but his mother smiled happily, excitedly.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you both."

"Alright then, I've got the keys to our car, I'll follow behind you then." Mr. Moore said with a smile as Mrs. Moor just gathered her jacket and purse.

"Then let's go." Heather said with a smile as she accepted her purse from Ethan and grabbed her own light jacket.

The pairs left the house, Heather locking the door behind everyone before making her way over to their car. Her parents hopped into their own vehicle and waited for the younger couple to get into their own car and lead the way. The trip wasn't too long, just about five minutes away. Even if her parents did get lost, which they didn't, then they'd be able to find it without any issues at all. Once they arrived, Heather and her parents followed Ethan inside. It truly was a homey place. It had plenty of tables for large gathering at it seemed that just about the whole town was there, people leaning over to other tables as they had conversations with good friends. In fact, it seemed that a lot of people Ethan knew were there as well. So many that they were actually stopped once or twice on they way to try and join his parents upstairs. When they did join them, Heather smiled as she always did, Ethan introducing his parents before her own spoke.

"It's a pleasure for us as well," Mr. Moore said as he held out his hand politely. "I'm Danial and this is my wife Helen. Glad to meet the people who have been watching over my daughter. We appreciate it." He said with a happy grin as her mother was smiling as well.

Ethan watched as his father reached out and took Mr. Moore's hand, shaking it firmly much like Ethan's handshake. Mrs. McCoy smiled and also shook the man's hand. It wasn't anything like her son's and husbands hand shake but it certinly was stronger than most woman's handshakes. The usual strait face that his father held changed into a warm smile. As he spoke his voice was a bit huskey but tinged with a bit of and accent...warm and smooth.

"We are glad to finally meet the people who raised such a wonderful woman. She has certinly been a joy to have around the past three months, has even molded my Son into a better person. Anne has enjoyed having someone to cook with and my Daughter is glad to have another girl around that is closer in age to her than her mother. So really we must thank you..."

As he fininshed speaking a woman who looked to be about twenty-two or three approach the table. Her long silky dark brown hair was pulled back into a tight, neat ponytail. The woman had on boots that would be used for riding horses in Jeans and a stylish shirt on that hugged her hourglass figure. She also wore an matching apron that read: "Bighorn Cafe," on it in carefully embroiderd letters. Her skin was a lovely sun kissed, healthy tan with bright blue eyes that popped in a lovely way. It was clear that this woman could dress out very nicely had she the proper means to do so. She smiled happily as she looked at the residents of the table one by one.

"Mrs. Anne...John..." upon her looking to Heather's parents she froze but kept smiling. "Now this is a pleasant suprise to have some guests here? How Might you be?"

When she learned who they were she continued down the line. Next was Heather and she flashed her a smile at her before learning her name at all. Ethan froze and didn't turn to see the waitress. He didn't need to he recognized her voice...it was...

"Ethan! Your home! Glad to see that City did ya some good but you knew just where to return to. Missed ya..."

She leaned forwards and hugged the man around his shoulders. No...This wasn't happening. Not here and most certinly not now.

"Kathrine...Good to see you again too..." he said as he pulled away from her grip.

Ethan glanced over his shoulder at Heather the back to Kathrine, who was his most recent EX-girlfriend.

"Kathrine...I do believe you met Heather. She is my girlfriend. It's been a long time though hasn't it?"

A look of disappointment crossed her face for a brief moment when he told her that the Beautiful Heather was a current Girlfriend. Quickly she changed it into one of happiness again as she handed Heather, and each of her parents a menu. Not bothering to hand one to the McCoy's. Being a regular meant that you had memorized the names of all you faveorite dishes. Then she motioned over to the bar not too far from where they were seated.

"There is juice, soda, and Alchohol avalible at the bar. All you need to do is talk to the Bar keep and tell him what you would like. Decide what you'd like to eat and I'll be right back to take your orders."

She then turned around and went back down the stairs, towards the kitchen in silence.

(Sorry for all the Misspellings...I wrote this at a rather late time...^^;)

(It's cool, I've been slow so I have no right to be judging~ >3>)

After all the introductions were done and everyone was seated, their waitress came over. She was rather pretty, so surprise here since it seemed that everyone in this small town looked decent. She also seemed to know everyone by name, only needing a small introduction to her parents before she spotted Ethan. Heather was a little surprised to see another woman that knew Ethan. It seemed that her boyfriend was very popular in town. When she was introduced to Kathrine she smiled politely and waved hello, not saying to much as soon the menus were handed to her and her parents, Ethan and his parents not getting any. It seemed that the regulars all knew the menu by heart. Heather was a little more focused on the menu at the moment but her mother was eying the bar.

"Hmm...I wonder if they could make me a cocktail. I could use a good drink after all this news." She said a she seemed to be thinking about what to get.

"I just want a coffee. I'm tired of air planes." Mr. Moore commented as he laughed a bit. "Seriously, someone needs to invent coffee in pill form, save me trouble having to find a place that brew a good black cup. As long as I have a good cup, I am a happy man...That, and I do like me some chicken and dumplings."

Heather smiled a bit, knowing her parents all to well before looking over to Ethan's parents.

"So, what do you recommend?" She asked them, seeing as they probably knew the menu the best out of everyone at the table.

Ethan glanced behind his shoulder as he saw Kathrine walking away. The way he carried herself, he was familiar with that. The two had dated just as long as him and Heather had...maybe a bit less longer but still the relationship had grown strong. If He had decided to stay here and work with his father him and Kathrine most certinly would have been married by now. Perhaps in the same situation him and Heather were in now. But even now, she was still a good friend. Ethan didn't feel for her like he did for his City girl. The man was one hundred percent devoted to Heather...he loved her more than anything. But he also felt bad for Kathrine right now because of the way she was carrying herself. Her body language clearly read disappointment, sadness. She had carried herself this way several days before her and him had broken up. They didn't break up because of hate or because the feelings wern't right...it was because he was leaving for New York and Kathrine didn't believe in long distance relationships. Ethan turned back to everyone at the table and looked to Heather who was examining the menu. He and his father noticed that her mother was eyeing the bar. Never had Ethan drank here in town, his first drink had been with a friend of his from New York. Both of them had been set up with blind dates. Needless to say it was an intresting night that would have ended not so well had he not controlled how much he drank. His friend ened up drunk so Ethan was responsible to send him on his way safely and with all his clothes still on his body thankfully. John McCoy spoke up, looking at the woman as she wondered aloud if the man at the bar could make her a cocktail.

"He Could most certianly make you just about anything you'd like. He came to this town for a major downgrade after his wife of Almost thirty years died of Cancer. Silas worked in a number of bars and clubs along the Las Vegas Strip as a Bartend and Mixologist for about thirty-five years. So he knows his alcoholic drinks well. He Came here looking for some breathing space and with his own supplies, looking for a simple job. They hired him here and built a space for him. It's funny how much of an assorment of people are in the town."

Ethan's mother laughed a bit when her father commented that all he wanted was some Black Coffee and some Chicken and dumplings. She smiled before reaching out and touching her husbands arm but clearly speaking to Heather's father.

"Well it's a good thing that someone appricates a good black cup of coffee. The coffee here is wonderful and it just so happends that Chicken and dumplings is on the menu. I'm not too partiular but I think that they are aweful good."

Then when Heather asked what was good here Both his parents looked to her and smiled.

"To tell the truth everything on the menu is delicious...and it depends on your tastes but the soups and sandwhiches and especilly great."

After not too long Kathrine came back with a Pepsi in hand, setting it in front of Ethan before looking around at the rest of the group.

"Alright, can I help you with anything else right now? Or do you need more time?"

Ethan looked up at her and bit his lip. He looked over at Heather and smiled, making it clear that now wasn't the time nor place to talk to her nor let Heather know just who Kathrine was.

Mrs. Moore nodded her head a bit as she listened to Mr. McCoy, glancing down at the menu for a second more before closing it.

"Danial, you know what I like. Order for me if she comes, I'm going to get a drink." She said sweetly as she looked to her husband, the man nodding before she stood up and strutted away smoothly like her years as a model taught her.

Mr. Moore smiled at Ethan's mother and chuckled a bit, setting his own menu down on the table as well. It seemed that he didn't need to keep looking after hearing those words.

"Well then, I'm certain I'll enjoy them."

Heather seemed to hover over the menu a little longer than her parents, mostly because she was rather hungry. However, she knew that if she wanted to she could order more without judgement. She was eating for two after all. At the mention of soups and sandwiches, she nodded her head a bit and looked over them on the menu. As she looked, Mrs. Moore returned with a tall thin glass, looking like a sunrise with how colorful it was. Smiling, obviously pleased with her little catch, she sat down at the table again.

"Bless that man, he makes a good drink. Danial, remind me to put something in the tip jar before we go." She said sweetly once again as her husband chuckled.

"Of course dear.

Just then Kathrine came over with Ethan's drink and asked if they were ready or needed more time. Heather set down her menu and smiled a little.

"Well I am, and my parents are. And you guys probably knew the moment you sat down." Heather said, laughing lightly as she looked to Ethan and his parents.

Ethan watched as her mother instructed her father to order something for her, that he knew what she liked. He smiled and looked back to his girlfriend. The man knew a lot about the love of his life...the things that bothered her, the things she loved...but he wanted to continue to learn more about her. Her parents knew each other like they knew themselves and he wanted that for him and Heather. His parents were the same way. It was a great thing. It made him happy, it made him smile. Her father smiled at his mother as he set the menu down deciding on what he wanted. As he focused on Heather he noticed that she was focused on the menu. He chuckled a bit...the man loved the look on her face as she was focused on something. She also did look a bit worried about looking like she ate too much around her parents and his. But it was dispelled in and instant she looked more comfortable again ordering what she wanted. Just then her mother came back over with her drink, looking rather pleased. It showed in her voice as well. So far everything seemed to be going well. Their parents were getting along and there was no secrets to be found between the couple's parents. Though there was a few he would need to tell Heather about...namely Kathrine and the other girl. Then Kathrine came back and asked for their orders. Heather said her parents were ready and said something about his as well. Ethan and his parents laughed a bit before nodding and looking to Kathrine.

"We will just take the Chicken Noodle Soup and Beef Stew....Ethan?"

Without looking up he just said, looking down at his plate:

"Country Fried Steak would be great...thanks Kathrine."

Kathrine looked at her, asking her what she wanted. When she heard just Heather's order she looked at her rather suprised but smiled and laughed a bit.

"Sounds like were eating for two....and if ya are then a congradulations is in order. Well I'll be right back with all ya'lls food."

She turned around and disappererd down the stairs. Ethan looked a bit distracted but clearly tried to hide it as they waited for the food to come.

(Sorry for the bad post! In some pain but wanted to get the post down for you. ^^)

Heather and her parents gave their order, her father getting the dumpling and her mother doing soup and salad, Kathrine caught on to the amount of food that Heather was eating. She blushed a bit and nodded her head a bit. It seemed she had a very keen eye then because most other women would be insulted by such a comment. When Kathrine went off to to go put in their order, Heather's mother looked over to her daughter curiously.

"Hmm...I'm impressed she knew just by your order. You barely show at all with the way you are dressed. Or does the majority of the town know about the new arrival and soon to be baby? I wouldn't be surprised if news travels fast around here." She said lightly as she took a sip of her drink.

"Well, as far as I know, only family knows. I haven't told anyone in town." Heather said before looking to Ethan's parents. "Have you said anything? I don't mind but since I haven't been out of the house much I'm surprised she had been able to figure that out."

"She probably just has an eye for it." My father said before grabbing his cup of coffee and sipping it lightly. " My mother could tell when a woman was expecting long before she got the bump, it's how we learned about my Cousin Steven. Mom just looked at my aunt and asked her out of no where when her due date was. My uncle was frozen stiff when my aunt said weakly that she was due in the summer. Man didn't even know he was a dad until my mother pointed it out!" He chuckled to himself.

(It's cool, I understand~ Feel better!)

Ethan clenched his jaw. He knew that Kathrine would never let that go and she HAD to say something about it. He sighed and looked over to his girlfriend who's cheeks were flushed. Kathrine always had, had an eye for detail. She would know something before Ethan even noticed something. It was part of the reason he was attracted to her back then. His heart dropped in his chest when her mother looked over at her, suprised and curious. By her words as well she expressed how impressed she was to know that her daughter was pregnant. Since Heather wasn't showing right now...well not very much it shouldn't have been that obvious. But once she did start to know and when people in town started to figure it out then they would get endless visits. Visits ranging from anything to a card that was tucked away in it's envelope and they wouldn't let you open it till they left because it would have money in it. Or they would drop things off like home cooked dinners and desserts to packages of baby supplies. Usually they would stay and visit for awhile before leaving making sure that you had everything that you needed and was not lying about it. He was too young to remember when the people did this for his own mother but he clearly rememberd it for when his sister was born. By the time the baby shower rolled around the nursery was already very full of things that people had dropped off. Then even more came and brought whatever else they could afford to give. Having a baby in this town was exciting for everyone...weather you wanted it to be or not.

He snapped back to attention when Heather's father told of how his own mother would be very good at predicting or telling of someone was pregnant. Ethan sighed softly, trying to realese some tension, and chuckled when her father did. It wasn't too much longer before Kathrine came back and with ease rememberd who's order was who's as she carried all the food on a tray. The woman balanced it in one hand and smoothly delieved the right food with the other. She came to the head of the table and looked over everyone else before asking if there was anything else they needed. After she confirmed her question gave a glance to Ethan that he clearly knew what that meant just before disappearing once again. He nodded and turned his attention back to his family. The dinner was great...and he was glad that everything had gone smoothly. Everyone talked, laughed, and enjoyed the delicious food. It was good to be back and have s good meal at the place he had at one point considered a second home. Kathrine came again to take dishes as they emptied and replaced drinks when needed but didn't say another word to Ethan. So far...so good.

Dinner went wonderfully, their food arriving on time and everyone enjoying each bite they took. In fact, the majority of the meal was silent until everyone's plate was empty, no one wanting to talk when they had such good food to eat. When they did finish though, the talks continued on. Heather's mother finish her drink and then moved onto coffee for the rest of the meal while her father happily chatted away with Ethan's mother. They all talked about simple things, such as plans for the future, what they were up to and so on and so forth. When dinner was finished and talking was done, Heather's father let out a content sigh as he shuffled for his wallet.

"Well, that was great. Can't remember having such a good bowl of chicken and dumplings. Only my mother can do better than that." He said with a smile before he started to shuffle around for his credit card in his wallet. "We will definitely be coming back again some time soon."

"Oh yes, of course. We'll have to visit much more often now that we have a grandchild on the way." Mrs. Moore replied as she looked to her husband. "Also, It was lovely meeting you both."

Smiling to Ethan's parents, Mrs. Moor sat up a bit straighter and sighed a little.

"I think the flight is finally getting to me. I'm just going to collapse the moment we get back to the house." She said with a wave of her hand, her daughter chuckling lightly at her mother.

"I think I agree mom, it's been a long day. And tomorrow is going to be busy as well. I have some work to do and I'm also going to try and look at more design options online, see if we can find something we like and have it shipped into town if it is in the budget. After all, there is a lot to keep in mind while redoing the dinning room. "

Ethan smiled as he finnished his meal. It was good food and good company...and it wasn't just the atmosphere in the cafe. The meeting with her parents was going better than expected...even though it was a bit rough at first. But it turned out well enough and he was glad to be here. HIs attention was turned to Heather's father when he spoke, saying that the meal was great and started fishing around in his own pocket for his wallet, pulling it out. Then once he pulled it out his credit card, also saying that the older couple would be back without a doubt! It was a good thing to hear...that the cafe and this town continued to charm people one after another. For one reason or another people continued to come to this small town to stay. No new construction was planned...it was a place that would not grow to a huge bustling city. The citizens of this town wanted it to stay the small water tower town it was right now.

Then her mother agreed with her husband saying they would definitly need to come visit more. More now so since that Heather was expecting her grandchild. Then said it was great to meet both his parents and his parents looked to both of them. They agreed, his mother absolutly happy that she had met her grandchild's other grandparents and had gotten along with them despite the clear differences between them. But the time was ticking by and Ethan noticed that her parents were looking exausted and her mother confirmed that by saying that the flight was catching up to her. After Heather told her mother of her plans, Ethan made sure that the food bill got paid and he laced his fingers with hers as they walked back out the the car. As they were headed home he smiled in relief, exaustion also starting to show in his eyes. But he was relieved...and it showed. Once they arrived home, Ethan took her parent's bags to the guest room, and making sure they knew where the room was before going off to find where Heather had wondered off too.

With dinner paid for and such, Heather took Ethan's hand and smiled a bit as they walked out with her parents. They two pairs drove back to the house in their cars without any issues and arrived home safely. Ethan and Heather parted ways as he took the bags up to the guest room, Mr. and Mrs. Moore following him up there. As he got her parent settled, Heather went to their room and took a seat upon the bed, letting out a small tired sight.

The day had gone better than planned, her parents by their side in this just as much as Ethan's parents were. They had also gotten along with Ethan parents quite nicely, even with their large differences. This put her at ease as it seemed that there would be no worries over the grandparents not liking each other. Laying back on the bed, Heather clumsily kicked off her shoes and just rolled over and curled up on the bed. She didn't even get undressed, she just laid there and relaxed. She wasn't exactly sleepy yet but she was tired and did need a nice break from all the excitement and such.

As she laid there her mind wandered to the future, to things such as the kitchen and dinning room. It would take a lot of work to get what they wanted done and a lot of money. With the due date growing closer each month it was starting to become a daunting task. She didn't want to bring home a baby to a house in the middle of construction. But she didn't to put a newborn through the start and end of a remodel either...Though she hated the idea of borrowing money from anyone, mostly her parents, she knew that a loan might be needed to get what they wanted done. Besides, it's not like they had bad credit. They'd be able to get one without any issues...it was the paying it back part that she dreaded terribly.

As he walked out of Heather's parent's room his cellphone rang loud enough to be heard by them. Ethan was constantly forgetting to turn his cellphone to silent or vibrate but he feared missing a call from a possible client, though it was getting much too late for those kinds of calls. The ring was a simple ringtone, one of the ones that would come already downloaded onto the phone when it was first purchased. He slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled it out, waving goodnight to her parents before walking down the hall, putting the phone to his ear.

"Ethan McCoy Speaking, how can I help you?"

Then he heard a familiar voice he had not heard too long ago.

"Mr. McCoy wow...you sound so professional Ethan." she said in a light tone.

"Hey...how did...how did you get my number?"

There was a lighthearted laugh on the other end of the phone, and he knew just who it was, It was Kathrine.

"Ethan, you have had the same number since you first got a cellphone. I know you too well to know that your not the kind of person to change the number just because you bought a new phone. For heaven sakes Ethan, we have know each other since before either of us can remember."

The man went over and took a seat on the steps, leaning back a bit as a small smile formed on his lips. Though him and Kathrine knew that a relationship between them could not last due to drastic intrest differences a friendship and only that would always be there.

"I guess you are right...but it's getting late and aren't you supposed to be at work? You want to own that place in the future do you not?"

"Yeah I do but my shift is over and I am clocked out for the night...It is late but I just wanted you to know...Congradulations Ethan...I know how you wanted to be a dad someday, so this worked out just right, eh? Though I will say I never thought it would be so soon."

Ethan chuckled lightly and his smile turned into a content one, warm and gentle.

"To tell you the truth neither did I...I wasn't planning on a family until my business took more of a firm root in the photography business...till my name was more known in this world. But Things don't always go according to plan and now I just have to take things as they are and run with it. Now that there is a baby on the picture I can't imagine not being with Heather or not having a baby..."

He heard her shuffle around in the kitchen and the clang as she dragged a bar stool across the floor, sitting down before she responded.

"I would ask if it is a boy or girl but it looks like it will be a few more months before either of you will know that...your lucky Ethan. It's good to have family around, and little ones are such a joy...I can only imagine how happy both you and your city girl must be..."

He sighed and looked up the stairs and back, he knowing that his conversation was loud enough to be heard in the silent sleepy house.

"Kathrine...you will fine a good man someday, one that deserves you and you deserve him. It takes time, Heather and I were togeather for a long time before she got pregnant. Now I can't be any happier...you will find the happiness you deserve Kat...I just know it. And come on over sometime alright? Heather is just an amazing person but I get a feeling she dosn't have people here besides my family, another woman she can talk to about things that would be otherwise awkward to talk about in front of a man...I can see the town welcoming her but she needs a friend..."

She thought about it for awhile before responding. He could tell she had plastered on her face, from just the tone in her voice, that she wore a fake smile. A smile she had always used to wear to make herself pretend that everything was going to work out just the way she wanted it too.

"If you insist Ethan...and I will. She looks like a great person...You know I give everyone at the very least one chance. Well I better go, talk to you later."

With that she hung up and so did he, standing up and tucking the phone into his pocket as he walked upstairs. Ethan unbuttoned his shirt but not taking it off and kicked his shoes off before he slid on the bed next to Heather. He snuggled right up next to her, kissing her forehead before looking at her with a smile.

"So...I want to know...What are you thinking about?"

Heather looked over to Ethan as he entered the room, smiling a little as she continued to lay out on the bed. As he moved onto the bed she happily took Ethan into her arms and snuggled close to him. When he asked about what she was thinking of she seemed to stare off into space for a moment before looking back down into his eyes.

"A lot...I'm thinking about loans, about if starting a remodel before a baby is born is a good idea and plenty of other things. Also thinking about family and such. I know we haven't really gotten it out officially but...do you think we should have a baby shower? I mean, I know I have some family that would like to come to one, cousins and an aunt or two. Also, It might help us with baby items? I mean, I know I hate borrowing money but it doesn't count when it is a gift right?" She suggested with a small grin.

Shaking her head a bit she moved in closer to him and held onto him just a little tighter. She had way to much on her mind to be healthy, especially as she realized just how much they were trying to accomplish at the moment.

"There is just so much on my mind...I think I need a mini vacation...Or hammer to take down our ugly dinning room and fix up the kitchen." She added with a small laugh.

Ethan watched as she stared off into space before looking strait into his eyes, a little smile on her face. Then she said a lot the first thing being loans. That was something he had been thinking about as well...he knew that with their income for now renevations and a baby did not mix so well. However with a loan they could afford both things. But time was another Issue...he didn't want to leave Heather alone to do the renevations he should be helping with. Then like she said next it was a concern as to when they were done before or after the baby was born. For a new born it might be stressful to be moving about as to not be involved too much in the construction...but at the same time Ethan Knew that extended family would want to come see the baby so at the same time the baby would be in safe hands. Then She brought up a baby shower and that not only her side of the family but his as well as far as extended family went didn't know about the baby. He knew that his Aunt Helen, Aunt Amber, and cousins Elle, Krista, and Brina would like to know about Heather's pregnancy. Not only that but if they knew would insist upon having the baby shower. She then shook her head a bit and snuggled closer to him, holding him a bit tighter. It looked to him like his pregnant girlfriend was stressed out at all the things going on right now. It seemed he was correct when she told him she had alot on her mind...that she needed a small vacation or a hammer to eliminate the ugly kitchen that was in desprate need of a fixing up. He chuckled lightly and smiled gently.

"Well Love, since we are in a bit of a squeezed for funds I am afraid vacations are out of the question right now and a Hammer would be easy to get but I will do everything I can to make sure that the baby shower of your dreams happends...even if it means working more. And As soon as we can squeeze it in, I'll take you wherever you want. But before the shower It would be a good Idea to know the Sex of the baby...and it will be atleast another month or two before we know that....Once we know that seeing just where our funds lie as far as things the baby needs will be easier to figure out. If we have enough then we can start renevations...if not then it might be best to wait until after the baby is born. But of course that is just my opinion...for whatever it counts for."