Evening Star || Sansa Stark & Ezra Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
[fieldbox=Aedan McKenna; Lord of the Evening Star , #CD853F, solid, 0, georgia]
"I'm afraid that kings rarely are very kingly," Aedan responded, cupping his free hand over their joined hands, a symbolic show of his will to protect and shelter her. "and this one is far less so than others, but I promise you that while you are within my home, surrounded by men of the North, no harm shall come upon you. As for my own loyality, wife before King." He spoke, the last in a quieter tone, so their treasons could stay between the pair of them. He picked her hand up from the table, pressing a kiss to the back of her knuckles. He ate the rest of his meal in silence, his mind pouring over what it was that Mary had been getting at. Ofcourse he knew that there was some purpose of the meeting, something more than had to do with Weiss. He knew from the moment Mary arrived that there was some purpose of the marriage itself. She was beautiful, young, well mannered. It would have been hardly difficult to find her a husband far younger than he, and though he had no outward ill will towards the king in political affairs, it wasn't as though they were steadfast allies either. He was simply a servant, the last of a house far older than most in this world.

But there was an ominous feeling that hung over the meal, as he but the yoke of his egg, watching the rich yellow liquid run across his plate. He wondered what else there was that lie in Mary's past. A history with the King? Not a romantic history…per se? The ideas whispered in the back of his mind like a slow poison. Surely it wasn't something he could simply let sit without knowing the details. She summed it up, quite briefly in introduction, and rightly, left him to stew on it as he was prone to doing. Aedean wasn't one for rashness or hasty decisions, not when the luxury of a calm mind was afforded him. It was far safer that way, for all involved.

"I would hear what happened between you and the King," Aedan spoke out finally, setting his fork down in the ruined yoke of his eggs, picking up a goblet of water, and taking a drink from it. There was no harshness or anger in him, but simply a tone of question and a need to understand. Knowledge was as much an armor in these days as was steel. He'd not be taken unaware. "Should it come up, I would like to avoid any surprises before the King. "

[/fieldbox]

• Love
Reactions: moffnat
[fieldbox=Mary McKenna: Lady of the Evening Star, #d6899e, solid, 0, georgia]
This man was truly a gift. Mary watched him in stunned silence while he ate, such a simple task made magnificent by the strength of him, how he moved, and she felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude. His words replayed over and over again in her mind. Wife before king, that's what he told me. Was he already so devoted to her that he would risk open war for the sake of his young bride, newly married and half a stranger? She hoped so. Mary wanted to be able to trust someone so deeply, without hesitation or remorse. She sent a silent prayer to God that these feelings of hope would not be met with betrayal.

Mary knew Aedan would ask. How could he not? The question still left her unprepared, however, and she shifted in her seat, trying to find the right words. She drank a small sip of sweet juice before setting her goblet back on the table, taking a deep breath and releasing. There was much to say.

"I was fourteen," Mary began. "A year ago. My father had heard rumors of the king wishing to bring me to court. I had only met him once, a brief exchange, but my parents were thrilled for me. Positions at court are rare things, and filled with opportunity to further the family legacy. I left home for Cardainn Ros after the king summoned me, without my parents. Understand, in the south a young lady is never unaccompanied, unless she is married or royal. The summons was odd, but I had no desire to disobey the king. So I went."

Mary took another sip of her drink, needing refreshment before she continued. "The king asked me into his chambers. I was too naive to think anything of it. He was charming and funny, and he mentioned marriage to the heir of Duke Wesselton. I was overjoyed. A duchess, what a fine thing, it would be higher than any of my family has climbed on the political ladder and my children would be wealthy and without care. I accepted the offer, but the king wanted more." She swallowed the lump in her throat. "He said he would arrange the match, only if...if I obeyed him for one night. A single night, and then all my 'dreams' would come true. I was so foolish..." Mary hugged herself close, rubbing her upper arms for comfort. She looked down to the table in shame. "I didn't know what was happening, but I obeyed, because that's what I was raised to do. He took off my dress. He yanked my hair. He touched me, hurt me, but it wasn't until he began to undress himself that I fully understood what he meant to do. He never...he never entered me," she said, shifting uncomfortably, "as you know from the sheets of our wedding night, but he would have if I didn't defend myself. I--I shoved him off. I'm not a strong girl, so he overpowered me, but I broke a vase over his head. Fearing for my life, I fled. I stole a horse and rode home. I told my mother and father, but they were furious at me for disobeying the king. I was punished." She bit her lip. "Weeks passed and we heard no news from the king, no arrest, no warrant, nothing. Weeks turned to months. I passed my fifteenth birthday and still, nothing. It was as if the king had forgotten me. Until he arranged a marriage with you. He summoned my family before him in the throne room and declared that I would be the Viscountess of Evening Star, and sent me away. I haven't seen him since. But I'll never forget his eyes when he looked at me, so full of rage, as if he would savage me and rip me apart limb from limb..."

Mary looked up to Aedan with sorrowful eyes. "I know the story is dark and treasonous, but I swear to all the gods that I am an honest wife, and I would never lie to you. You are the only person who has ever been worthy of my trust, after all."[/fieldbox]

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Aedan McKenna
Aedan listened to the story, his face showing the truth of his emotions, from an appauled shock to an sorrow and saddened frown. How fast the attachment comes, and how pure was the wish that she hadn't had to endure anything remote to the experience that she depicted in her story, but he believed she told the truth. He would believe her, until she gave him reason not to. She followed it up with an affirmation that she was being honest, a sentiment that Aedan didn't need, but one that brought a small smile to his lips, and made him draw her hand within his. Had then not been across a table, he'd have pulled her against his large frame.

"He will not so much as lay a finger on you with ill intent while he visits our home, or by the Light I will see him pay with blood. I promise you, as the gods as my witness, that if it comes to it, I will defend you with all the strength at my disposal, from any harm. You are my wife, and thought it has been such a short time, you are mine nonetheless. The past speaks not to that fact. I don't care the circumstances that brought you to me, for they do not change the fact that between us is a bond unbreakable." He took her hand to his lips, pressed a kiss to the back of it gently. "You have nothing to fear."

They finished breakfast quickly, the story replying in the viscount's mind as silence reigned between them, not an uncomfortable silence, but contentment. He meant his words, for even though she was only a day ago made his wife, his duty to her was as strong as though it were a lifetime ago, and the flames of his heart were strong with new passion. He had asked for a messenger at breakfast, had sent word to his brother, to request the delay his departure, to remain in secret within the town, should Aedan have need of his strength. Where before there was no anxiety about the King's visit to his home, now Aedan found himself wondering to their readiness. His mind was filling with conspiracies. What if this meeting between enemies wasn't as much a peace summit as it was an alliance against him and his new wife? Long has the King's allied envied the strength of the Evening Star, and Aedan knew that the king would forever see him a threat knowing the power he can wield if so inclined. Would it not be safer for him to dispose of Aedan, to divide the Evening Star amongst lesser men. Never had Aedan been a paranoid man, but there was something about the whole thing that just didn't sit right with Aedan.

He would have to prepare, but he would have to do so in a manner that the King's eyes within the Evening Star didn't find him suspicious if his fears were to become real. He exhaled a breath, wishing he had written more to his brother, wishing these thoughts had come before the note, so he could have instructed his brother to leave, but to return with men if he hadn't been instructed against the endeavor within a week.

"My wife," Aedan spoke, turning to Mary, these new thoughts spinning in his mind. Yet, he's not accustomed with marriage, and as of yet, hadn't acted within his role of governor in place of husband. He didn't know how this would be received, "I must see to preparations for his Majesty's arrival. I beg you're forgiveness, and you've leave," He asked, in sure, firm tones so not to see as conflicted as he felt about it, while respectful in his request. Then he smiled a moment later, taking her by the shoulders. "I'll be but a few hours, till mid-day." He kissed her in parting, leaving her to stand in the corridor outside the small dining room.

Inwardly, he beat himself for not having thought of it sooner. The idea of marriage and life having occupied him so that he hadn't been keen to what may be going on. Had he a few more days to plan, he'd summon enough of his banner men, to serve as honorable tribute to the visit of the King and the Arch Duke, that he'd be more than able to protect against Weiss if the need arose. But he had been side tracked, his mind elsewhere, and the gambit, if indeed that's what this is, already sprung.

The stepped into the main hall, into the keep's throne room, where he sat upon the more pressing and official issues of the North, and exhaled loudly, in frustration. Two guards stood at the door, to the first, Aedan turned in command.

"Summon the council and Captain Caern. We have much to discuss."

[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Mary McKenna: Lady of the Evening Star, #d6899e, solid, 0, georgia]Mary hesitantly nodded at her husband's declaration of leave. She knew that this would be a part of their marriage, and had known it long before she and Aedan ever said their vows before the Light, but that did not stop her inner fears from rising at the back of her throat like bile. She could have persevered and taken the day to explore her surroundings, but now she was as nervous as child, knowing the king was near. Mary accepted the Viscount's kiss and watched him leave, wondering what the rest of the day had in store for her.

I should not let the presence of a monster deter my duty, Mary thought, toying with the wedding ring on her finger. That is not what a true wife of a ruler would do. She contemplated that thought as she finished the rest of her breakfast in silence, politely letting the servants take what she was finished and assist her with whatever she needed.

"Is there anything else I can get you, Viscountess?" asked a young man, not much older than her. Mary smiled and shook her head. "No. I'm alright, thank you. The rest of you may finish what my husband and I did not eat." She stood from the table and prepared to take her leave, but she stopped, noticing the kitchen staff staring at her as if her face had turned into that of a goat. "Is something the matter?" she asked. "I don't recall it being a Northern offense to stop eating before the food is gone..."

"No, Your Grace. I just--we just--" The boy swallowed hard, as if nervous to speak. "We never eat from the lord's table, m'lady. It's not proper."

"Not proper?" Mary frowned. "Does he forbid you from it?"

"No. Not--not particularly." The group of servants looked to each other for answers, finding none.

"Well. Don't eat from his table then," Mary replied with a gentle smile. "Eat from mine. All is welcome to you. I'd rather it go to someone who deserves it rather than falling to waste, no?" A surge of compassion shot through her, and she realized that as the wife of the Viscount, she was the second most powerful person in the land. Another idea came to her. "And whatever you can't eat, give to the orphanage I saw on the way in. I'm sure they could use some castle-made food for the children."

"Are--are you sure?"

"Yes, of course. And if the Viscount is displeased with you, tell him it was my idea. I will speak to him about it." Mary beamed, unable to control the joy that charity had given her, and she left the kitchen area without another word. Surely the king's presence brought considerable anxiety, but he would not stay long, and Evening Star belonged to her. She would cherish it despite King Henry's slithery gaze and begin building the foundation of her new life among snow and brilliant stars.

After tending to a few minor things and dressing for the day, Mary examined herself in the mirror, in a gown of emerald with white sleeves and her blonde hair tied back in a southern fashion. She thanked the maids that helped her prepare, taking Freya by the arm so the serving woman might give her a tour of the city. The new friends walked out into the snow. Mary knew exactly which place she wanted to see first.[/fieldbox]
[fieldbox=Lenore Caern: Captain of the Guard, green, solid, 0, georgia]"You're far too generous, you know that?" Lenore chuckled to hear the words from her wife at the opposite end of the room, still preparing breakfast for a late morning. "You devote your life to these people and somehow still make time for me. Don't you ever tire?"

"Darling, we've talked about this." Lenore ran her fingers through her hair, making sure she looked presentable before slipping the final hooks of her armor into place. "I was made for serving this place. And you."

"And me." Esme cast a devious glance over her shoulder and winked before turning back to the eggs she was beating in a wooden bowl. "Just don't be long, alright? Today is Scott's birthday and you know he'll be expecting you at the party."

"I'll do my best, but when Lord McKenna summons, I'll always answer. Scott knows that." Lenore finished fixing her armor and came up behind her bride of eight years, wrapping her arms around her waist and giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I know." Esmeralda accepted a final kiss from Lenore before the captain went on her way, closing the door to her modest manse behind her as she took leave. The smell of her wife's cooking didn't leave her lungs nose until she was well into the bowels of the castle of Caer Danalin. The Silver Mountains seemed to sparkle in the morning sunlight. Lenore walked as fast as she was able to the council chambers of her Viscount, and upon seeing him standing by the window, she gave a low bow of respect. "Your Grace," she said in greeting. "I came at once. I--"

High-pitched laughter interrupted her. Lenore furrowed her brow and straightened her back, walking over to the window and looking out to the scene below. In the courtyard of the orphanage, the new Viscountess sat talking with four little orphan children, as they ate what appeared to be leftovers from a castle-made meal. Her heart warmed to see them, and she looked over to Lord McKenna with a smile.

"She is charitable," Lenore commented. "And beautiful. Happy, even." She remembered how miserable the previous Viscountess had been for many months after coming to Evening Star, convinced it was too dark and bleak, too cold. But Mary Frey had embraced this place, and her husband, as her own.[/fieldbox]

• Love
Aedan McKenna
"I left her alone but a few minutes ago to come and see to business, and in the first moment I had to myself, while I waited you, my mind strayed to her. I heard her laugh through the window, and here you find me," McKenna spoke, staring out the window at his young bride, watching as the dove flitted with the children around her, sharing what she had with those who had precious enough. The sight was enough so that he felt his heart beginning to soften in the moment. So he pulled himself away from the window, knowing that this was not a time for soft hearts, but for stone and iron. He listened as Lenore spoke of his wife, perhaps her first true observations of his lady, and he nodded his head in total agreement. "and her safety is to be your top priority."

He unfolded the letter from the King, the same that had arrived the day after his wedding, announcing his immanent arrival. Aedan gave her a moment to read the scrolling script that belonged to Henry, before he placed his hands upon the surface of a large, long oaken table that sat in the middle of the room. Aedan stood at the head, between table and chair as though he had meant to sit, though in truth he had no intention of it. But as he had done time and time again, he pressed his knuckles into the polished hulk of an iron wood, from which the table was crafted, and let his eyes drift back to Lenore.

"He brings the Weiss here," Aedan spoke, and for the first time since hearing the news, felt it is acceptable to vent the frustration this causes in him. Their enemy since his father's time, allowed by royal permission to enter his lands with a host of troops at their backs, to be properly and royally received as guests in a hall that had burned like orange sun from the candles lit in tribute to the souls of the fallen northerners. "He would walk them through our defenses, and into our arms," Aedan continued, pressing hard against the table before pushing away from it with a low growl of deep frustration.

"I suspect betrayal," Aedan spoke, moving his idle hands from the polished wood of the table, and using it instead to grip at the hilt of his long sword. The sword was ornate, decorative. A shadow wood handle wrapped in browned leather and silver wire.. The blade was polished, meant more for ceremony and office than battle and war. It's surface was pristine, nearly mirrored, and Aedan had never used it in battle, never swung it in anger, and in the ten years since it's forge, drew the blade from its sheath only a handful of times. Starfall, Aedan's battle sword, stood in the corner of the council chamber. It was a bastard sword with a long hilt, and a heavy, wide blade, as wide and half again as the shadow steel sword currently on his hip.

"Mary is a pawn in all this, but a piece nonetheless. You are my best blade. My command is that should battle begin, you are to take yourself and Mary to the house of Lord Mallister. Am I will have this matter settled before we begin preparing our defense. I will have your oath on the matter" Aedan spoke, his voice somber, heavy. He knew exactly what it was he was asking of Lenore. That if battle should begin, that she flee with the Viscountess to a place of safety. A guard for her personal welfare, yes, but a command not to fight to protect that which she deems most important.

[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Lenore Caern: Captain of the Guard, green, solid, 0, georgia]Oh, the price was high. Since Lenore was a child training in the courtyard with the boys who laughed and teased her, all she wanted was to bleed and die for her liege lord, to serve at the highest honor and historically become the first woman to take the position of Captain of the Guard. Many of those things she had accomplished, but to be asked to leave a fight when she could possibly save the life of the Viscount...it was almost too much to ask. Almost. But Lenore knew the love one could bear for their wife, and when she pictured Esmeralda's face, she found the courage to accept the oath which forbid her from the honor she wanted.

Slowly, Lenore drew her massive blade and reveled in the song it sang. The sword had seen many battles and slain many men for the sake of Viscount Aedan McKenna, and would continue to do so for the Viscountess upon his order. The Captain knelt before her gracious ruler and offered her sword to him as a promise.

"My lord McKenna, you have my word as a sacred vow. Should Evening Star come to harm and our city fall to attack, I swear to the Light Itself that I will put the safety of your wife as my primary and focal concern. Should the gods believe me to be false, I bid them strike me down, as I would rather be smitten than serve you as a liar."

There was much else she wished to say. Could they trust Lord Mallister? Weren't there safer places to take the Viscountess? Why was the Archduke of Weiss coming forth on the king's command? How were the borders of Evening Star so closely watched without the knowledge of the Viscount? All these things and more she questioned, but she could voice those opinions later when time was less pressing and duty not so confrontational. Lenore looked up to Aedan McKenna with a spark of hope before rising to her feet, making eye contact with the ruler to which her loyalty belonged.

"If you accept my oath, Your Grace, tell me what you must. This visit from Weiss and a cruel king sounds like treachery to me as well, and I would like a hand in protecting our borders at all cost."[/fieldbox]

Aedan McKenna
It took only a moment, a hand upon the blade of her sword, to show acceptance of the oath, to bind the words to her in the way he has bound an oath to her only once before. The blade was sharp, the blood he shed upon it, a small drop from a cut in his hand, was enough to signify the intent of the oath, as though breaking it would be the death of him as well. With that piece of business behind him, Aedan McKenna turned from his captain while she rose from her position, and he undid the belt at his waist. He felt Northsong fall away from his hip, a weight freed from him that he was all too accustomed to holding. The sword was rarely away from him, there were nights, in the past, that the lord even slept with the blade attached, in full clothing, because he could not bear to be rid of it's weight. He wrapped the leather sword belt that held it around the scabbard carefully, and laid the blade in the corner of the room. Then he picked up Starfall. And it was as though the weight of the sword was a portent of things to come. Northsong was a sword of peace, a blade used to govern, rarely drawn, and never truly used in combat. Starfall was a different beast, a blade of war, with deep grooves in the blade to drain the blood of her enemies, a heavy weight, to carry the stroke through armor, flesh and bone alike. He strapped the bastard sword to his side, exhaled with the weight of it. Not because he was too much blade for him, many times he's had to don the blade, but because he knew the weight of the blade would soon reflect itself in the weight of days to come.

"I would have you send a rider, your fastest, to locate the oncoming Weiss lord and our King. I can only fathom that my sentries on the boarder were intercepted before they could report of any movement of the Weiss front, an impossible feat for Weiss, a mere dagger to the back for the King. I have been kept in the dark for far too long on this," Aedan spoke, returning to the table. "I will send messages to the nearest our of kin, to have their militia called up, their banners moved to Caer Danalin, in the name of honorable greeting for the good King, and our guest," He spoke, using the terms loosely, a mock respect for those whom he has now come to see as an enemy.

The question that sat on his mind was how far to go in his belief of betrayal, without looking to promote it? What if he was misreading intentions? How would it seem if the King and Duke were greeted with a stacked rampart, and empty city? To remove all doubt of his suspicions by removing the citizens from arms way. If it looks too much like he was preparing for a battle, might it incite one where there had been no intent before? And what of the element of surprise? The moment the ride into an emptied out lower town, they would know. It would be best to seal the gates, deny entrance into the city, and break the Weiss upon his wall.

There were too many unknowns. The size of the attacking force, the equipment they bring, the true intent. Donovan was a sinister man, of that Aedan was sure, and Henry was not beyond the accusations he is leveling against him, but he would feel better if he knew for sure, and wasn't risking so much on a hunch, even if, deep in the pit of his soul, he was sure of it. These were the heavy decisions of a ruler.

"I want you to have the main gate sealed, and the city watch up on the walls in force," Aedan spoke, after a moment of thought, turning his eyes to his captain, while gripping tightly on the long hilt of Starfall. "The King will be met at the gate, and only he and the Arch Duke will be allowed within. I will not allow a company of Weiss troops into my city," Aedan spoke, feeling more sure of himself as the words passed from his lips. As they did, the great wooden doors of the council room opened, the council he summoned began to trickle into the room, but Aedan paid them little mind. He would bring them all up to speed once he finished with the good captain. "And report back when your scout returns. I will consider lighting the beacons once I know what it is we face."

[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Lenore Caern: Captain of the Guard, green, solid, 0, georgia]
Lenore Caern
"Everything I must do, I will do for the sake of lord and country."
The Viscount's requests did not seem unreasonable. Lenore considered how she would approach each of his suggested subjects in her head and eventually nodded, sheathing her sword and standing tall again. Preparations had to be made. Lenore would follow her lord until death or folly if need be, and never would she question his methods unless she felt another option would preserve his family.

If only she had been there, so many years ago...

"I will do as you say," said Lenore. "I will ensure the safety of the Viscountess first, and then make sure your will is done. I will take my leave." The honorable guard bowed to her loyal lord, and did as she said, exiting the room in a confident stride.

The situation was uneasy, to say the least. Lenore couldn't say what outcome she feared worse; an alliance between the King and Weiss, an attack on Evening Star, or an entirely different fate altogether. She remembered her visit to the temple two weeks past, when the oracle of Trist told her that danger and war lie ahead. "Be wary," said the elderly man, wise beyond his years. "The events to come will bring down a nation."

As usual, he had been unclear as to what that meant. But Lenore began to fear that she had figured it out.

When the troubled captain made it out into the winter's cold, she wrapped her cloak about her broad shoulders and trudged toward the orphanage she had seen Lady Mary at from the Viscount's tower. When was the last time I visited the children? Lenore thought with a frown. Esmeralda wanted to adopt a baby. But I never found the time to go with her. I hope I will have time again, before this is all over. Whatever it is Trist will thrust upon us.

"Lenore!" exclaimed the Viscountess when she spotted the massive captain. The sight of such a happy person surrounded by loving children, the wife of her dear friend, made Lenore smile. "Come here, come here! The children saw you from a distance and they wanted to..."

But Mary had noticed the look on Lenore's face. The Viscountess slowly frowned, and Lenore found herself feeling like a monster, for having doused such a shining light. She gently told her adoring children that she must go, and followed Lenore back to the castle that had so quickly become her home. All the while, the captain hoped Mary could find some form of peace with the coming of her antagonistic king.

Light, cast your blessings on us all.
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
  • Love
CHAPTER III
The Tension Grows

tumblr_nyw936Y1KB1sd2uiro1_500.png

[fieldbox=Aedan McKenna:Lord of the Evening Star, #CD853F]

Aedan knelt in the silence, where the rays of the dying sun split upon edges of stained glass, and the shadows hung vibrant just outside the dim light cast by the dancing of candle's flame. The world was silence and stillness, with the only sound audible to Aedan in the depth of the night originating from deep within his own skull. His thoughts echoed the voiceless whisper of his lips, as body and soul unify in prayer, as he bares his soul in its entirety to the heavens above. His anxieties rooted themselves in the fact that he didn't know what the next few days would bring. Aedan was one of those who always knew. Life had been as stalwart and unchanging as the mountain that shelved his world, as hard and unforgiving as the rock, and as predictable. He knew when the snows would come, when the rivers would once again run. He knew the hearts of his people, the ways of his world. The river always flowed downhill, the stars always shone the brightest in the depth of night, and the lark always sang with the morning rays. Good would always prevail in the end. But the King, his liege lord… Aedan didn't understand these movements. Weiss was an enemy, and though Aedan was not so set in his ways that he couldn't see the path of peace, for truth he had desired peace with Weiss more than any man live, he could not see the ways of peace in even the deepest parts of the Arch Duke's heart.

Bellview was a snake, a usurper to the throne, hungry for power and control. In his chest beat a heart of pure and unadulterated darkness that knows nothing of the world beyond his own dim, narrow view of it. The man understood little of beauty, of honesty and what was right. He was a twisted soul, a demon in the flesh, and it would seem his King was in concert with him. They come hand in hand to Caer Danalin, flying a white banner of friendship.

A banner they mean to turn red with the blood of my people.

He shook the thoughts away as he pushed himself from his knees and settled back down on the pew behind him. His eyes fixed on the tri-arches of Trist, each of the three arches intersecting with the other two on each end, set upon the back of the temple so that it stood above the empty alter. There were days when he felt the arches almost glowed with splendor, days when his heart felt free and light, and he believed nothing could tarnish this gift of life. Recently, the day of his marriage had been such a day, when the glow of the world seemed to shin with Trist's radiance. But tonight there was no sheen to the arches. The shadows seemed heavy along the walls, oppressive as they fought for dominion of the room against the weak light of the candle.

But still the nagging doubts, like a soothsayer, ringing in the darkness. Perhaps he was over reacting. Perhaps he was giving in to old hatreds, lost in the world of the past. Perhaps the banner of peace that flew on Weiss's border, a new and startling report McKenna had received only hours ago, was meant not in gambit, but in truth. Never before had the Arch Duke used such methods in order to infiltrate the Evening Star. Though Aedan knew the Arch-Duke certainty capable of the deceit, it was not amongst his history. Perhaps the idea belonged to his own King, or the unification of their authorities made the gambit seem… profitable. The questions were driving him mad. The doubt stilling him, even as the anger pumps in his heart.

Aedan had no love for his King, not before the story relayed to him by his new Wife, and most definitely not afterwards. Loyality was given, a payment of a debt most ancient but hefty, that honor bound Aedan McKenna to this manipulative, cruel monarch. But it would only bind him so far. He would let no harm come to Mary… to none of his people. Liege lord or no, he would forsake it all, damn honor and tradition, if it meant protecting his people, and his lady.

The sound of footsteps behind came to his ears, as the door to the small chapel opened, and closed within a second, letting a lithe form slip through. He didn't turn to look, but felt hew that presence already, though their time together had been so short. It was as though he felt her soul through the darkness, though the worry and concern that filled him, through the flesh that contained hers.

"You should be abed at this hour," Aedan spoke, not turning to look back, but returning to his knees.

[/fieldbox]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Mary McKenna
"I will show them love instead of fear, and be worthy of the devotion."

It seemed that her place of safety in troubled times aligned with her husband's. The shrine of Evening Star offered Mary a sense of peace the second she laid eyes upon the altar, but seeing Aedan's form among the pews was a relief all its own. She lifted her skirts and guided her way to him, where she sat politely at his side, like the good little wife she was learning to become.

"I...it may sound ridiculous, but I could not sleep without you." Her face flushed despite the cloud of horror hanging over her. "I would not dare be so vulnerable on my own."

Oh, she loved him. It was true. Be it a honeymoon affection or one with the seeds of truthful nature, Mary loved her honorable husband and felt safer with him at her side. In days she felt a trust in him earned over years between most lovers. Simply looking at him brought her peace and purpose.

"I have been thinking about the king all day. He will arrive tomorrow, you know. I'm sure you know." She curled her hair awkwardly behind her ear. "I know he has dark intentions. He is never one to make a decision unless it benefits him more than the other person, so whatever bargain he has struck with Weiss, it will not bode well for our people. I may be young, but I have a head on my shoulders, you know. My father called it the 'gift of intelligence'. In my own way, I can be of use to you when your war counselors are not, despite my age and my lack of personal experience on the field."

She was rambling now. Mary had always done that, since she was a little girl trying to impress her mother by acting ladylike. She straightened her back and pushed out a sigh.

"What I mean to tell you, is that I have defended myself from His Grace before. I will do so again if need be. I will not be some porcelain doll you must hide on a shelf and protect with your last breath--I can and will fight beside you, in my own way. As much as I can...if you approve, that is."

Mary wanted to reach out to him, but decided to keep her hands to herself in case he was upset with her declaration.[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Aedan McKenna:Lord of the Evening Star, #CD853F]
"Sometimes, it's hard to believe that you are new to this way. You are a lady of the North, as true to the title as any, though it is still relatively new to you," he spoke, exhaling a breath and settling back from his knees to the pew to continue the conversation. It always felt that what was said in the temple of the gods was sacred, and thus it had to be truthful. To lie within these walls was to blaspheme in the name of the gods, and thus mar the eternal soul. Aedan knew not the shape of his, but he knew he didn't want to darken it any more than he must. Here, he would not lie. To her, he would not lie

"You have the spirit, and I believe you possess the strength naturally endowed to Northern women, though I do not know the source of it. Your father was right to call your intelligence a gift. It is a new resource that I am not accustomed to utilizing, and I am sorry for that," Aedan spoke, feeling that she would comment about him keeping her out of the planning. In truth, part of it was because he was not accustomed to having to discuss his plans with a wife. Only a few days married, it is still a new thing to him, to have someone discuss things with in a less than official capacity. He could voice his concerns, his fears, and listen to her council. He understood the merit behind it, had the instant the words left her lips.

"I would have you in a world where you would not need to fight," He continued, pushing past the fact that he hadn't consulted with her before he made motions to put his defense into order. "Your hands are better crafted to hold flowers than sword hilts," he continued, taking her hands in his, her fingers opened so that her palms were exposed to his eyes. He traced his fingers over her palms, as he held her hands, and looked up from them to her eyes. "But I do not live in such a world as that, and to my sorrow, nor do you. You are a lady of the north in spirit, but you have no skill with a blade. If I could have my way, you could be days away from this, looking to the east from my father's balconies. I do not want you in harm's way."

He knew she didn't want to hear it, it was plain on her face, and he inhaled a breath, wordlessly requesting patience. But ultimately, he knew what it was she asked, to be included. He didn't believe for a moment that she wanted a sword, wanted to be in the brawl, that wasn't what this was about. His face softened, and he nodded his head as if agreeing to something that she said, something understood in the silence that hung about them.

"I will have your council. I will know your thoughts on this. I believe, in this way, you can fight our King." He spoke, settling himself down on the pew again, ready to listen to his new wife's point of view. But before she could start, he interjected his final words on the matter, "but when blades are drawn, you will do as I ask of you. I will not have you in battle."

[/fieldbox]

• Love
Mary McKenna
"I will show them love instead of fear, and be worthy of their devotion."
Mary smiled sadly to her loving husband. Merely looking into his eyes, she could see the scars of war and agonies of lost friends from blade and battle. He feared to lose her. The confession warmed her heart like the Southern sun, although his apprehension deeply saddened her. The Viscoutess reached a hesitant hand forward. For a moment she was unsure whether he would appreciate her touch, but the reminder of his affection for her urged her forward. She caressed his cheek with a gentle touch and looked deep into his eyes.

"Don't worry. I don't know how to use a sword," she said with a chuckle, "and even if I did, I would not want to. I'm not fond of violence. Of course, I respect you for what you do for this land, but I could never...I could never." Mary lowered her hand and took his, feeling comforted by the familiar roughness of them. "I will let you win the field. I will help you in other ways. I'm sure that the king wants my company. If I allow him to see me, I might weed out some information from him. But I won't be alone with him. I...I would ask that Captain Lenore come with me. She is very strong, and I would feel safest with her there while in your absence. I believe she would not let any harm befall me. Just as you would not."

But of course, Mary still had her fears. The king had been monstrous to her in the recent past. He had used her, tried to abuse her, and sent her away when she refused his will. Something sinister was forming in King Henry's brutal mind. Of that, Mary was certain. But she would not let her fears be known to Aeda; not yet, at least. She knew he would rely on her for strength. Though she was young, she must be willing to offer whatever he needed, whenever he needed it.

That was her duty as his devoted wife, after all.

"Will you promise me something?" Mary asked quietly. Her lips formed a frown as honesty begged her to reveal her thoughts. "Will you promise me that, if it comes to battle, you will come back to me? Alive? I...I don't want you to leave my side. Not like that. Not so soon." She looked to her lap as if in shame. "I have come to care greatly for you over our short time together, Aedan, and I would miss you terribly if the gods took you from me. I fear I would not be strong enough."

Does he feel the same, she thought, or is this simply the plague of a lover's honeymoon?
[/fieldbox]

Status
Not open for further replies.