Eureka Academy: First Semester [SU/OOC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a bit hectic as it's the first week. Things will settle down later and I'll be able to post more frequently then. I'm thinking of creating a second character or completely scrapping my first.

Name: Zachariah Sun (Goes by Zach)

Race: Shapeshifter - A humanoid race that can be found in the slums of almost every nation on Corinith, although they originated from the far southern land of Mnoral (a nation that is largely populated by mages). Shapeshifters are usually the targets of extreme discrimination, however this disdain for their race is only found on Corinith. Due to this treatment, shifters rarely leave the slums, and are usually given crap jobs that nobody else wants. Despite the usefulness of their shapeshifting powers, shifters rarely use their abilities for anything other than manual labor. Because of this, it is rare to see a shifter fully trained in combat.

Class: Elemental Shifter. Zach is capable of changing the elemental composition of his body, therefore allowing him to be made of rock, fire, ice, etc. However, transforming into a different form takes a lot of energy, which means an untrained shifter (like Zach) is only capable of shifting once before becoming exhausted.

Title: Student

Sect Study: Ultris - White

Appearance: Zach is fairly small for his age (which he is unhappy about, so it'd be best not to mention it around him), being only 5'3" and having a somewhat thin frame. His hair is a light auburn, and thanks to his generous usage of hair gel it seems to be stuck in a backwards windswept shape (it also tends to glisten in the sun). He also sports a short goatee, which he doesn't seem to gel as often. His eyes possess a bright hazel color, however when shape shifting they glow yellow.

He tends to prefer wearing bright, flashy colors (especially red). More than often these colors clash, but occasionally he'll manage to match something up. His most common outfit is a white V-neck shirt, a bright red hoodie, blue jeans, and red sneakers. Also, he always wears a red bandanna on his head, which bears a white Ultris insignia.

Personality: If you were to look up the word "cocky" (or "dumb"), you'd find Zach's picture beside the definition. He constantly talks about how he'll "take the worlds by storm" and "be the hero that evil itself will fear". He makes no effort to restrain himself, and may occasionally be seen waltzing out of a classroom because "it was too boring". Of course, even though he talks about how powerful he is, Zach still has a lot to learn, which is usually quite apparent. It's possible that Zach uses his excessive enthusiasm to cover up deep seated feelings of worthlessness (which was caused by his exposure to extreme cases of species-ism), but you'd never hear him admit to that.

However, despite his massive ego, Zach is a pretty friendly guy. Because he has no family to speak of, he has decided that making friends is the same as building a family. He'll approach just about anyone, either to befriend them or brag to them (or both). If you need somebody to have your back in a bad situation, Zach will be there in a jiffy. After all, what better way to be a hero than protecting your friends?

Weapon(s): Zach carries no weapons with him.

Abilities/Magic:

Humanoid form: While Zach is capable of fighting in his humanoid form, he is still fairly untrained in the martial arts, which means he is at his weakest when in his humanoid form. Also, if he is incapacitated while shifting, he'll automatically revert to his humanoid form.

Rock Form: Zach can turn his body to stone, which impedes his speed and agility, but dramatically increases his strength and resistance. When in this form, Zach can absorb massive amounts of damage, which means he can act as a great distraction for his teammates.

Earthquake: While in his Rock Form, Zach can smash the ground with all of his might, causing a massive shockwave.

Fire Form: Zach's body becomes a living flame. He is capable of running at incredible speeds (around 70 mph), and is almost invincible against physical attacks. However, since his body is no longer a solid, he is unable to strike enemies physically (although he can still obviously burn them when he touches them). He is also weak against water-based attacks in this form.

Flamethrower: While in his Fire Form, Zach can shoot a steady stream of flames at his enemies. This attack is most effective at short and medium ranges, seeing as the stream of fire dissipates at longer ranges.

Ultima Form: Zach's Ultima Form takes every form he is capable of using, and mixes them into one singular entity. While using this ability, Zach's entire body glows with a bright amber color. This form gives Zach access to every elemental power he is capable of using, and also bolsters his physical characteristics according to the elemental forms included in the Ultima Form (ie, he can be sturdy and fast). However, this Form is extraordinarily difficult to achieve, and is near impossible for a white level student to use. If Zach does achieve this form, he can only use it for two minutes before passing out from exhaustion, regardless of what level he is. Therefore, this form is only useful as a last resort move.

History:

Being a shapeshifter has not made life easy for Zach. Seeing as the first shapeshifter was created by a failed transmutation spell, the populace of Corinith tends to believe that shifters are "fake people" or "living accidents". Because of this belief, shifters are constantly submitted to inhumane experiments, or are otherwise treated like dirt.

Zach's family was no exception to this treatment. When he was a toddler his father was killed in an anti-shifter riot, therefore leaving Zach's mother to raise him on her own. Due to her status as a shifter, Zach's mother rarely found work. When she did find a job, it often required impossibly long hours, which meant that Zach spent most of his childhood alone on the streets and in alleys. During his younger years Zach was able to travel about his hometown without incident, seeing as shapeshifting powers don't manifest until puberty. However, once his adolescent years began, he started to experience uncontrollable shifts, which began to garner negative attention from townspeople. Soon enough he started to feel the effects of speciesism in its entirety. People would spit and curse at him as he walked by, shops would forbid him from entering, and he would even experience the occasional beating.

This hate worsened when Zach turned 16. Another anti-shifter riot broke out while his mother was away at work. A group of angry humans marched into the Shifter Slums and began attacking anyone and everyone. Bricks flew through the windows of Zach's little shack, and even gunfire was heard. Eventually an all out brawl broke out between the humans and shifters, which brought about heavy casualties from both sides. Zach, not wanting to be involved with such madness, ran from the slums without a second thought. When the riot ended, the entirety of the slums was burnt to the ground, and corpses of both shifters and humans littered the streets. It was at this point that Zach's mother finally decided that raising her son in such a hellhole was unacceptable. Using every cent she could gather, Zach's mother bought him a space on a cargo ship bound for Eritai. However, she only had enough money to pay for Zach's spot, which meant that he would have to leave without her. After departing from Corinith, Zach never saw his mother again.

However, despite his fairly traumatic history, Zach decided to bury his past and focus on the future. After all, his mother didn't send him to Eritai so he could wallow in pity. While working in Eritai, Zach began to hear stories about Eureka Academy. After hearing constant tales regarding the heroes who hailed from Eureka, Zach decided that attending the Academy (and becoming the greatest hero ever) should be his ultimate goal. So for four years, Zach worked several manually intensive jobs (which allowed him to make good use of his shifting abilities). He only came home to sleep and occasionally eat, before heading back out to work. Eventually Zach finally saved enough money to attend the prestigious school in the sky, where he could hopefully fulfill what he believed to be his purpose in life.

I decided to give Corinith some more love... Well, I say love, but I don't think racism (species-ism?) is a positive thing... Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll do some minor tweaks then :)

@Aleth
Fine with me either way.

@Chaike
Since he's a shapeshifter he would be in Ultris. Other than that looks good so far.

Alrighty, I've got Zach's history finished.

EDIT: I redid the entirety of his history to make it less cliche/boring, and also added one more power for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:
soooo, for some reason i just stopped getting notfications when this thread was updated, weird.

anyways, I finished Marco's CS. let me know if there are any problems

also here is Bobby's if you need to review it as well.

@Buio
Bobby is fine but time wise, Marco is Yellow despite being at EA for only a year. He's either Red or they've been here for two years.

@Chaike
Zach is fine, I'll be adding him to the roster.

Oh, @Yaoi ... Hibiki just doesn't like people sneaking up on him. That is why he is what he is now after all.

I'm aware- why? Did I word something wrong?

edit- I did mention that she knew that she shouldn't have popped up behind him, and it being insensitive of her. "I also like to keep my head on my shoulders" was a response to him saying that he could have.

@Buio
Bobby is fine but time wise, Marco is Yellow despite being at EA for only a year. He's either Red or they've been here for two years.

@Chaike
Zach is fine, I'll be adding him to the roster.

ah, i see, that was actually something i was curious about, I didn;t know if you were awarded rank based only on your skill, or if it was like school years.

Well, I'm actually not very sure if marco skill-wise, woudl be more fitting in red or in yellow since there's no desciption of general skil levels in the ranks in the opening post, So I'll leave it up to you since you're obviously more vamiliar with the world.

If you find he has yellow-level skill then ill edit the time they spent away from home to 2 years. If you find his skill is more appropriate to Red rank, then I'll edit the rank

@Yaoi
I just meant that you assumed they weren't friends. To me, knowing why he hates it when people sneak up on him - a point I alluded to you already knowing - means that you're at least friends to him.

@Aleth
Sokay. Life gets in the way.

@Buio
There's actually a post somewhere in here where I answered how the ranking system advancement works. It's not necessary at the start since the advancement exams don't take place until the end of the semester. Based on what I'm seeing though, he's probably Red.

*nods* i remember that post. what i meant was that i wasn't sure if there were placement exams at the very beginning of the school year that put them in the appropriate rank right off the bat (for example, two necromancers might come to Eureka on the first year, but it's entirely possible that one is far more skilled than the other. So i wasn't sure if the less talented one entered eureka at white or red, but the more talented one entered already at Blue rank because he was already at that skill level even before starting to study at the academy).

anyways, thanks for answering m question, I'll go edit now. i assume this also means my characters are accepted once the edit takes place?

The Entrance exams are mostly to show them what you can do. In rare cases, based on previous experience, you can be in Red upon entering but it's just like skipping a grade in America now - very difficult to do. ANy higher than that simply doesn't happen.

And yes, the characters are accepted once you've edited.

@Yaoi
I just meant that you assumed they weren't friends. To me, knowing why he hates it when people sneak up on him - a point I alluded to you already knowing - means that you're at least friends to him.

@Aleth
Sokay. Life gets in the way.

@Buio
There's actually a post somewhere in here where I answered how the ranking system advancement works. It's not necessary at the start since the advancement exams don't take place until the end of the semester. Based on what I'm seeing though, he's probably Red.

I had stated here after I done did my first post that I wasn't sure about what type of relationship they'd have, although they prpbably would've known each other from previous years. Appearing behind him to aggrivate him would also be something a foe would've done, and I'm sure Roe, with all her unpredictableness, would've been prepared to fight him head on, had they not been friends. However, since they seem to be good friends, all is well. Is there something you want me to change about the post? I mean, since you haven't replied and all.

sorry if I'm coming of as rude, I just wanted you to know that I wouldn't force our characters' relationship onto you because I fancy it, which is why I left it open for interpretation.

The Entrance exams are mostly to show them what you can do. In rare cases, based on previous experience, you can be in Red upon entering but it's just like skipping a grade in America now - very difficult to do. ANy higher than that simply doesn't happen.

And yes, the characters are accepted once you've edited.

ah, i see, that makes more sense then. thanks for the info ^_^.

@Yaoi

Nah, no worries. Just read like they were acquaintances at best and I wanted to see what you had in mind before I made a post to the possible contrary.

Did I say that? Someone else referred to them as good friends also. Although in my post, Roe says 'friends' with seeming hesitance, but I suppose it would be more in a breathy way and stuff, since she was talking to the Professor, and was sorta nervous. She's not the smoothest around authority. I'm sure that they would probably hit it off as friends at some point throughout the years at E.A. They seem to compliment each other well, anyway. Opposites attract, and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.