Eureka Academy: First Semester [SU/OOC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm indeed i missed that part ^^

on a magical level she doesn't really stand much of a chance against much at the moment >.<

So third mission it is o-o

alright, so so far that leaves us with

Mission 1
-Orin (leader)
-Marco
-Ashling

Mission 2
-Hibiki (leader)
-Bobby the robot (who is actually a golem)
-Revers

Mission 3
-Soren (leader)
-Grimm
-Alisa

so who are we still missing? anyone? oh yeah, where's wather going again?

Mission 1
-Orin (leader)
-Marco
-Ashling

Mission 2
-Hibiki (leader)
-Bobby the robot (who is actually a golem)
-Revers

Mission 3
-Soren (leader)
-Grimm
-Alisa
-walther

Is that everyone?

Other than Chaike whom I imagine is still having net problems, yes, that's everyone.

What if he still doesn't show up for, say.. a week? possibly a month?

I would really rather not kick him, personally, because we have a very interesting plot set up for our characters. But I realize that, at the same time, we cn't keeo the rp held up for just one player. Gavin, should worse come to and chaike drops/is kicked, you think there would be any way for us to keep the event line we had discussed before?

Hello, I'm still pretty new...So do I just post my character in here If I want it to get accepted/screened??

Also... It's my own race, and though I put down a lot of powers,(I thought they were alot) He doesn't know most of them. It would take years to learn them, and while learning them, they take up a lot of energy. So if he ever used a power while in the feild that he didnt have mastered , it could end disastrous if not planned accordingly. (Though I'm willing to get rid of most of them if you think it's to much, I made him a long time ago and have always wanted to use him for an rp :D so I tweaked him a bit for this.)

hey sev. I'm not a GM by any means, but i figured i'd throw in my 2 cents till gavin came online. As far as I know we are always looking for new players so you can feel free to throw up a CS (Character Sheet) anytime you want using the template/skeleton found on the first post of this thread. If gavin likes what he sees then you'll be accepted and ready to play.

This RP is fine with character created races, I'd say the majority of the cast is composed of exactly those. That being said it generally isn't really well viewed to throw in powers that your character does not have in a CS, even if they are powers that they eventualy will have. If you look at @Squee 's character sheet here you'll see that his character still has room for growth and will most likely learn new technique/abilities as the rp progresses, but non of those abilities are listed. Instead, he will be periodically updating his character sheet as he learns each new teachnique/power/whatever, this is more conductive to the activities of the GM because this way gavin will see first hand how Squee is using his character's abilities in the roleplay, and if something seems OP (overpowered) he can ask squee to tune it down at the time when it is important. When a character sheet has abilities listed that they WIL have but don;t have, its difficult for a gm to make teh call on whether to accept them yet because they don;t know how fast that character will progress through their skil tree or how fast the other characters will level up in relation to him, so something that may have seemed perfectly harmless at first might end up being ridiculously OP when it is implemented in the story because of ways the lot has turned, or differences in character leveling or any other number of variables. So generally it's best to only put down what your character has already in his CS, and 'leave the later for later' as it were. Though I would also recommend sending gavin a private message and discuss with him teh ideas you might have for future powers for your character, just to get his opinion right now of if they are alright or not, this way if there is a major problem with them right off teh bat, you will be made aware of this and will have time to think over how to tweak/replace those abilities to make them more acceptable before your character learns them IC (in character).

Also, you're not the first 'new to roleplaying' memeber we've had want a position in our RP so i'll tell you what we told @Tanstin when he first applied. It's usually a good idea for new players to check out the site's Roleplay Institute section for them to familiarize themselves with the mechanics and conventions of roleplaying before diving headfirst into a game with other players. Think of it as playing a tutorial on a new game before diving into an online match and getting your butt kicked by more experienced players lol.

PS. if you're not familiar with the site's mechanics yet, the green highlighted text spaces are hyperlinks to the relevant pages on the site.

Reactions: Silvir
@Sevvus Buio's got it pretty well down. Just post in in here or send me a PM and well talk about it. As for extra abilities, then I'd refer you to my sheet for Nogitsune Hibiki. While he has certain things already outlined, there's a section that goes more in depth with his race and what they're capable of. You can follow suit with your race and add the abilities that he doesn't have to the race bio and eventually he'll gain access to them over time. Simple enough really. Looking forward to seeing the character.

I sent it to you...or at least it said it sent...ill post it in here too, just in case :D

Name: Sarrus Sazveratii

Age: Actual age: 2000 years old (young for his race) = looks equivalent to 20- 25 in human years
Race: Core Demon: Close cousins to the Dragon Demons, The Core demons have a difference that stems into their very being. Each individual of this race has a "Core Crystal" that's embedded into their chest, right above the heart. It comes in many different shapes, sizes and colors, but it is guaranteed to always be there since they are born with it. This crystal is their life force, their soul, their power, their very essence. If it is destroyed they will die, If it is only broken, but everything is there it can be fixed. Same goes to if it is only cracked. If broken or cracked, it will drain them of energy, and they will be weakened until the damage is fixed.

Depending on the severity they can be put into a "healing sleep" that puts a protective barrier around the body, and puts them into a self-induced coma. If it is taken out of them; but still whole, they can take over the body of who is in its possession, and make it their own. If they are weak, the takeover is as easy as changing your clothes. However if the person is stronger than them, they have to wait until the possessor of their stone has used their power enough to be tainted by their "Core" once that has happened, they are able to integrate themselves into the host until it can be transformed into their own body again.

Though their "Core" is their power it is not elemental based, Core Demons may not get elements to fight but they have energy all on their own. They like to call it "Hystaria" not to be confused with hysteria. This is what they call their brand of magic, it gives them a single specific ability to master which could range from anything. They have noticed certain patterns with the colors of their "Core Crystals" but have yet to fully understand the connections.

Throughout their life, three more stones shall appear on their bodies at certain points in their life, they are not "Cores" though they are directly under the "Core" but instead they are called "Sepa-Spheres". They are circular crystals or "Spheres" that can be detached ("Sepa") Separated) from the body to be used for their purpose. One of these spheres will appear when they have found and decided upon their mate. (Matta-Sphere)They will then give that Sphere to their intended, and it will attach to them to show their claim, and to give their mate an added lifespan that will last as long as they are alive. It's like a shared lifespan except when one dies, the other can choose death or live out the rest of their original lifespan until they die or find another mate. This race in particular, though they have severely long lifespans, only believe in being with one mate for life, and they often choose death when their mate is killed.

Though this is fact, they can mate with any other race, so it's been known for their other to move on. The second stone gives them the ability to change into their "Dragon Form" (Shiffa-Sphere) if the grip the stone in hand and call out their "Dragon's" name. Unlike normal Dragon Demons, Core's can't automatically do so, they first need to gain enough power and experience before the Stone appears, and once it does, they must fight their other half and defeat it, to have control of its power.

After the tasks are complete the stone will turn the color their "Dragon" represents and from then on can be used freely. The Third and last stone, will appear when they are on the brink of death for the first time. It will heal all their wounds and then leave behind an egg. (Falia-Sphere) They must protect and carry around the egg until it decides to hatch. If something should happen to it beforehand they will lose the opportunity to have that third crystal. It can be stolen, broken, or even eaten, but the main thing is you must have it when it hatches or the stone will disappear forever. Inside the egg, (that will go through many different stages while in their possession, from size, color, pattern, and even shape.) will be a familiar made specifically for them, it will be their greatest companion, asset and friend. Once it accepts their companion it will transfer its energy into the Sphere, and the sphere will then glow a color that represents that familiar.

Calling upon their familiar for the first time gives them a unique weapon they can summon from their third crystal like they can summon their familiar. (It's optional for them to call their familiar back into their Sepa-Spheres, most like to let them roam whenever possible.) Losing a familiar, (especially one with a strong enough bond to understand each other.) is like losing a piece their soul. Should it die, it will severely weaken them, though they may regain their strength by years of retraining, it will never be the same and they will always feel that broken connection.

Class: Psychic Demonic Twin Blade

Title: Student

Sect Study: Ultris: Blue

Appearance: Taller than most, he stands at 6'0" with a tail about 1 foot longer. He has a muscular build, lean but lightly bulky with skin as dark as midnight. His hair is on the opposite spectrum, being a shining silver blue; His thick messy locks cut in an A-line, frame his face nicely. Two sets of thick black curved horns spiral backwards from his head. The second pair of horns is smaller, and centered directly underneath the first set. His eyes blaze a bright golden yellow; with slit black pupils with a silver ring along the edge, the distinction of his eyes as they ley upon black sclera, makes it seem like they pierce your very soul. Next; were large black scales the protruded off his shoulders, tail, and smaller ones going down his forehead, following down until they met the tip of his nose.

Lastly was a feature that his entire race had, however not one was ever the same. Along his body were deep purple swirls of intricate design that eventually stemmed to his heart. There lay a rounded amethyst crystal stone that shone brightly with a warm glow. Only some of the markings could be seen since he was covered in a tightly fitted, dragon scaled, black armor that covered his chest, legs, and tail. The strongest point of the armor was the point where it covered the stone.

Personality: Cold on the outside, caring on the inside.

He's a very tactical and analytical person, always thinking things through before he does them. He hasn't had anyone to open up to so he's not very talkative, but every action he does has meaning behind it. Growing up with his race made him develop a mask of sorts. On the outside he seems to be cold and unreachable, but inside he will care, and will show you through the actions he does for you. He's one of the kindest people you will ever meet, though most who encounter him tend to be afraid of him at first site, since he has a very intimidating look about him.

Though he won't show too much expression until he completely trusts you; if you learn to read him, the signs he always gives you are clearly painted on his face, whether it's a twitch of his brow, or crinkling of his eyes, or even possibly just tensing of the shoulders. Even if you don't see them at first, they're in there.It explains more when you sum him up in single words. He can be… Caring, Soft, Kind, Sweet, Smart, Sarcastic, funny, Slightly Childish at Times, Giving, Cuddly, Protective, Fierce, Ruthless When Needed, Strong, Brave(though he has a fear of the ocean/dark deep waters.), Deadly. He can be all these things and more, but you'll only find out when he trusts you enough to show you.

Weapon(s): Two double-sided blades that he can summon, Small Dagger, Bow/Quiver full of arrows, Tail, and His Familiar. (Does not have his Matta/Shiffa-Spheres.)

Abilities/Magic: Core Demon Hystaria, Psychic Abilities ("Core" Ability), Skilled with His Summon Blades, Decent Archery Skills, summoning, Dragon form.

Hystaria: The ability to manipulate a mater closely resembling gravity. Using it gives the user the ability to stick others to walls, crush them with enough force to the point of immobility, or create a dense ball of energy. it's looks like an inky ball of black with sparks of the idividuals "Core" color.

Core Abilities: (If used too much (more than 12 hours or excessive use) becomes exhausted for around 6 hours before recharge.)

Aura reading: Perception of energy fields surrounding people, places and things. (Basic/Mastered)

Divination: Gaining insight into a situation, most commonly through a ritual. (Basic/Mastered)

Psychokinesis or telekinesis:The ability to manipulate objects by the power of thought. (Basic/Mastered)

Enhanced Strength:Automatically augment's user's strength once achieved. (Basic/Mastered)

Umbraportation: the power to teleport via the shadows and darkness. (Basic/Mastered)

Object Manipulation: to alter an object's inner workings, e.g. unlocking a door. (Basic/Mastered)

Bilocation or multilocation:Being in multiple places at the same time. (Advanced/Mastered)
Telepathy: Transfer of thoughts or emotions in either direction. (Advanced/Mastered)

Transvection: Bodily levitation and flying. (Advanced/Mastered)

Empathy: The ability to read the thoughts of animals and nature. (Master/Mastered to a degree can't understand all animals yet.)

Force Fields: to condense the air around oneself in order to make protective shields, e.g. deflecting bullets. (Can hold for only 10 minutes before he's exhausted)

Illusion Manipulation: The ability to manipulate what others perceive is real or not. (Can hold for only 10 minutes before he's exhausted)

Stasis Field: to slow an object's molecules to the point that it stops all motion. (Can only hold for 1-5 seconds, did it on accident the first time.)

History: (IT WILL BE FIXED BY ....3:30! )

When he was born, his parents were proud. They had a son, and the healers said he had the potential to be great, and powerful. If it was one thing Core Demons loved, it was the knowledge of birthing a strong offspring to continue their line. His mother doted on him as he was growing up and his father a reserved affection. He was happy, and he loved his parents with all his heart, which his parents noticed.

Now, you may think that's normal, but for a core demon, it's more common for the child to glare, feel detached, be rebellious, try to challenge their parents authority to be the "Top dog" as you would say, or just give them looks of reluctant acceptance knowing they only had to deal with it till they became of "Adult" age.

Sarrus wasn't like that at all, he enveloped the attention of his parents with open arms, always followed orders, never lifted a figure out of line, always tried to impress his parents, or tell them that they meant everything to him. They thought it was odd, but assumed he would grow out of it, or was simply taking a different strategy to appease them and their coddling.

They left it to the back of their minds for the most part, only being surprised every once in a while if the child said, he loved them, helped injured animals he would find around the forest when they allowed him to explore around their house. It was away from the citadel, but its close enough to get there when they needed to. No one would be able to find their house unless they've been there before. His parents found themselves appreciating this fact more and more as time went on, not wanting anyone else to break the delusion their son was only a little odd.

They realized with no small amount of disappointment, that their son, for all his ability and future strengths, was too gentle. They wanted him to grow out of this phase quickly, but would soon realize that would never be.

At the tender age of 500 years old was when the reality of it really hit home for his parents. That year was when a war broke out. It as between their kingdom, and the one in the east, all the cities and towns that resided on either side were viciously attacked without mercy. There were raids, fires, randomized attacks, murders, rapes, kidnappings and even tortures.

To think all this happened because one of the Kings insulted the others taste in decor. You probably can't imagine how much can get done in a place that takes defense at such a small thing one moment, and starts a war the next, but somehow they manage. It's usually their mate's that keep them and their egos in check, not wanting to lose their other half anytime in the near future.

Sarrus's father was part of the kingdoms military. So Like the good mate his mother was, she decided both he and his mother needed to help his father with the fighting. It was at this point they realized he wouldn't grow out of peaceful nature in time, nor was he reluctantly accepting their lavishing him with attention. When they got to the other kingdom, Sarrus was terrified but determined. Then his father had asked him proudly how excited he was to be able to make his first kill at such an early age, when Sarrus replied that he didn't want to kill anyone but help them, it was plain to see it was not the answer his father or mother was looking for. He managed to keep himself alive during their rime there before they took him home. He was in shock with how much blood and death he was made witness too.

His parents explained he needed to get used to it, because this was how their world worked, being a secluded little boy made it hard to accept that what he thought was a peaceful life was full of fighting like that all the time. He had nightmares for a few months; it didn't help his parents left him alone during the raids to go fight. Knowing he would be useless. They would return covered in blood and laughing about the looks on other's faces as they died. He eventually got used to it, but he was determined to not join in the fighting.

The war only lasted 5 years. That was a very short time for a race that can hold a grudge for a good few hundred years at the least. It was thanks to a piece offering to both kingdoms that times were peaceful once more. Well it would have been for Sarrus, if his father hadn't gotten fed up with his soft personality. After the war, his father decided he needed to learn how to use weapons, needed to be able to hunt and kill like a normal child of their race would love to do. His father thought that maybe starting low and killing animals would break the softness that had a hold on his son, and bring out the ruthlessness that was in all of them.

His father drilled him for years. With all the strictness he used to teach his subordinates, he never when easy, teaching him survival skills, basic self-defense combat that he would later need to build on when came into his powers, taught him how to use a dagger, and his weapon field of choice, which was archery.

However his son showed little interest in the archery field, taking more interest in the dagger then the bow. His farther decided he should try learning swordsmanship. Sarrus was taken to a weapon shop where he had to look around the store until something caught his eye. That was the day he got his first double ended sword, it was simple in design, and small enough for him to use, and when his father finally began to teach him in the art, he exceled brilliantly. His father's hopes for a fierce and strong offspring were renewed, thinking he just needs the right outlet he began to train his son into the ground.

96 years passed before his powers finally manifested for the first time, His father had been sparring with him. It was common knowledge to him at this point of his father's views on getting hit. "If you get hit you deserve it, you're still too weak if you can't even block" his father would say to him every time he got an injury in their not so friendly "spars", whether it be small or severe it didn't matter. It was still weakness.

His power appeared when he missed an attack on his father because of a feint, still being slower from lack of experience; he accidently left his torso open. He was about to be impaled on his father's sword before something in him snapped, the sword was thrust out of his father's hands and stuck into a tree. They both were chocked for a moment, before his dad smirked and told him congratulations. By now he knew not to show it on his face, but it didn't stop Sarrus from being ecstatic at his father's praise.

They finished his weapons training that year. He was now 601 years old, and that age, marked one of the most long and grueling parts of his life. His father had upped the ante with his training, becoming one of the most ruthless and heartless men he had ever known. He kept telling himself it was because his father loved him and wanted him to be strong, to protect himself and survive their worlds… but some days he wasn't so sure.

99 years was spent testing his limit, surpassing said limit and figuring out how it could best be used. Unlike most children that manifest their power, who find all that they can do at their limits and learn a little in each, before going to the next stage.

Sarrus was forced to master each and, every ability he had found, only working on one until he got to the point of it being second nature. After that has been done, then he was allowed to move on and learn another. He mastered three out of the six basic skills he could learn. It may seem like a long time to only learn three, but usually it takes years of one's life and experience they have all the time in the world to master them, so it was quite an accomplishment to get to the level he was at with them. Although when your father doesn't seem to mind if you die during training, it's quite the motivator to keep going.

IT was around his 700 birthday Sarrus started noticing his parents seemed to be drifting away. Before where he was showered with love and affection for his mother, was now small smiles and pats on the head and leaving him to his own devices. Things that used to me small rituals between them started to slowly trickle away till they no longer happened. She stopped reading to him about his family line and what they accomplished, stopped making sure he came in for dinner, or that he was patched up after spars.

His father was harder to notice at first, always being strict and reserved. Then Sarrus realized the personality he was used to for training never left his father any more, he continued to act like a commanding officer to him even when it was time to go home and relax. Where the used to sit in the study and make small talk, or create battle plains together. Though Sarrus still didn't like the idea of fighting someone to the death, not counting his training, he still enjoyed the time strategizing with his father. He also stopped giving him little compliments here and there. When they started training for the first time he would occasionally through in a gruff compliment in to be encouraging, or to let him know he did well. Now it was grunts and glares.

He decided to see if he could figure out the cause by looking in their library, he found a book titled "Familial Behavior and Stages of Life with Your Offspring." It offered a lot of information to first time parents, and some things he probably didn't want to know till later, but it also answered his question. Finding out your parents stop loving you after 800 years, is pretty traumatizing for someone like Sarrus.

From then on he continued to worry about losing their love, trying to keep a hold of it any way possible. Scheduling outings with his mother; helping her around the house, whenever he wasn't sparing with his father, training harder than ever without complaint to show his father he appreciated the training. He wanted to make them proud, and he wanted them to love him, but as he spent nights lying awake in bed from nightmares, he subconsciously knew it was already too late. There was nothing he could do.

Age 800 came and went; his fears came true as his parents told him to find his own place when he was still 798 years old. He refused to leave completely, afraid something would happen to his family and he couldn't be around to help. Instead he decided taking residence in the forest of his old home was a better idea, making a small house and a small garden to keep him from the cold.

He likes to think, his parents still loved him deep down, and that's why they never chased him off their land, because he knew that they were aware of his presence there. But truthfully, they were just fine that he was out of their immediate vicinity. Though, he wouldn't come to terms with it for some time yet.

He spent another hundred years trying to master his other 3 basic abilities, while stopping by his old house to converse with his parents. They always greeted him with a glare {by his father} and a tight smile {his mother}. Although conversation is stiff it goes well, and they have yet to tell him to stop, so the small little child him that still dares to hope is put further in denial of their "lost" affection. Books and scriptures be damned.

He began to think that maybe his parents were just set in thinking he will turn out like all the other common children, that he will start to hate them, that's why they distanced themselves. It was so they wouldn't be hurt by his juvenile animosity. This conclusion gave him a reason to hold onto, and he was resolute in finding a way to prove he would never change into such a hateful son. From then on he tried to do anything to make himself be accomplished in this world, hoping to impress his parents enough to get them to talk like they used to.

It wasn't until he was 900 years old that he knew what he would do to get the recognition of his father. Another war had broken out, way worse than the first one he was witness too when he was younger, all four kingdoms were at war this time. Someone had assassinated the mate of the Northern king, he blamed all other kingdoms until the culprit was found, and would not rest until they were. It would seem he wasn't ready to die with his mate just yet, revenge being the forefront of his mind he managed to push back his grief and start one of the longest wars their race has ever seen.

No one was safe from the northern king's rage. He sent armies to slaughter people in the dead of night and it was pure terror everywhere you looked. Sarrus's race was prideful to a fault; they didn't even think to ask the other regions if they could help stop the war, even if that meant the expense of their people. He started to think, that maybe they didn't mind. So many of his race loved to slaughter others, when wars happened, it was the only time they could fully let loose without repercussions.

Despite that thought, he made the decision to join the ranks of the military. This war meant his family was in danger until it was over, and he would do everything in his power to protect them. Hopefully when it was over, his parents would realize he wasn't going to give up on them so easily.

This year was the same year other people besides his parents noticed his oddities. It happened when he was sent out for the first time. One of the other recruits, around his age got sliced in the back of the leg, and was about to speared in the face. Sarrus was close enough to stop it, so he did. The look of shock on both the recruit and their attacker was only a little disconcerting. But he quickly disarmed the attacker and blew him across the field. He then turned around to check on the other recruit, asking if they were ok and needed help. Sarrus wasn't sure if they were male or female till they spoke, but even then it was touch and go. They asked why he would leave his post to help someone weaker than him. Sarrus was confused, but answered the boy anyway. "It was the right thing to do" was all he said before helping the other up, supporting his weight and fighting through the rest of the horde till they could get to safety.

NOT DONE..Ran out of time, friends stealing me for a surprise birthday party for me

((I also drew a picture of him...minus the armor/wepons...and clothes...lol it was a quick sketch and then a very rush coloring, just so I could show what he looks like.)) sarrus.jpg 2u9ianm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up, despite his telepathy, it would still be either extremely taxing or not even possible for Sarrus to talk to Kiku (my characters partner) without direct contact.

Just a heads up, despite his telepathy, it would still be either extremely taxing or not even possible for Sarrus to talk to Kiku (my characters partner) without direct contact.
:D Alright, nice to know.
He respects other's privacy so he wouldn't do so without asking first anyway. (it would mostly be used for emergencies/missions/interrogation) So no worries!

:D Alright, nice to know.
He respects other's privacy so he wouldn't do so without asking first anyway. (it would mostly be used for emergencies/missions/interrogation) So no worries!
Yeah just letting you know. I imagine he'd get curious when Rever mentions that his weapon has one way telepathy, but it's strictly one way.

I might even expand more lore on Kiku just for fun of it, those two are new for me

@Buio Thanks a LOT for the help, I really apreciated it.

It's no problem at all. I GM a lot of my own RPs so helping out new players is pretty much second nature to me by this point ^_^

@Sevvus looking at the character himself, I can't really say whether gavin will accept him or not, i've not yet really gotten much of an impression on what he personally values in CSes, but for my personal preferences i see only 2 major fleas with the character.

The first is that his abilities are too unfocused. There's no real 'theme' to his powers or weaponry, to me it seems like a bunch of things were thrown together simply for the sake of looking cool. Taking his weapons into consideration for example, It's odd to see a creature whose origins are so magical favor both the bow AND dual wielding blades, 2 styles of combat that generally couldn;t be frther removed from one another.

another issue i personally have with him is that his history section is far too short. Now, again, this is just speaking from my personal preference as a GM in my own RPs but i generally hate seeing short history sections, especially on characters who are so old. It's one thing to say that in terms of physical development 800 years is the same as 9-12 human years, but this character should still have over 2 millenia;s worth of experiences under his belt. 2 thousand years of memories, experiences, of fights, of crushes, of meeting new people, of saying goodbye to old friends, of watching people from less long lived races die and pass away while he continues to live and grow. two whole thousand years or experiences and personal growth, and the only thing of note about him is that he chose to leave his race behind after 1000 years? Why did it even take him that long to realize that he was different from others? What did he do in the 1000 years between being kicked out of the house and coming to eureka?

To put it in context, here you are presenting a person who, if they lived on our earth, very well might have met jesus during life, and has lived through every major world event since then, all the crusades, the italian Renaissance, the discovery of the new world, both world wars, just to name a few, and the most that can be said about their personality is they are like an average 20-something that is trying to find his place in this world? Why? How? How could something like that even be physically possible?

I know I am coming off as very critical, and, again, it's entirely possible that gavin might not even care about the short history and accept the character anyways, but for me, personally, it feels like such a cop-out to introduce a character who should have so much life experience behind him, then treat him as an average human young adult just because he is that physical equivalent for his species (physical shoudl not equate to psychological) and then the history section doesn't even explain why he is that way. As for the 'you'll have to get to know him more personally' line, that's something that shoudl be reserved for the IC. OOC (out of Character) information should only be withheld from a character sheet if it is something important to the main plot (like, for example, if you had chatted with gavin about creating a character who would eventually be revealed to be a big villain, or the brother of the headmaster, or the real founder of the academy or anything to that effect). This is kind of the opposite problem than i mentioned with the 'future powers to be attained' thing that i brought up before. This is a case of pertinent information being withheld without due cause.

Note that one of the core rules of roleplaying is 'No Meta Gaming'. If you're unfamiliar with the term, meta gaming is when you attribute knowledge or skills (but almost always knowledge) to your character that you possess, but they shouldn't. For example, in a fighting rp, you might have seen your opponent's CS, and the CS says that they are weak to ice attacks, so you make your character use nothing but ice attacks in their fight even though those aren't his specialty. This is meta gaming because your character, in-universe, should never have known that his opponent that he just met was weak to ice attacks, he shouldn't know anything about his opponent's strengths or weaknesses, and should have no reason to spam ice storms, and other players are very quick to call this out.

So, even if you put up a full history section with more detail on his backstory, it won't change anything to how our character interact with yours in the role play because, even though we might know his backstory, our characters do not, and everyone here is experienced enough to know not to meta-game. SO that is why i say the 'you'll have to get to know him better' line is a poor excuse for such a small history section.

anyways, rant over, and you're free to take or leave my advice however you see fit. Ultimately my only goal is to help you improve the quality of your character sheet if you want to do so.

@Sevvus on a more positive note, awesome drawing ^_^. I would have a hard time making that kind of picture given several hours, let alone as 'a quick sketch'. So i envy you for your artistic ability.

@Buio
I see your point! Hmmm I didn't feel it was long enough either, but though he's a character I made a long time ago, I never gave him more than a base personality. I did more about his race as a whole. (I liked to make random characters during break in baking class, since it kept me awake so early in the morning.) So I was in class was when I made the brief history. I've been working on a longer one, but it's not completely done just yet, I may finish it by the end of the day though, if all goes well. Do you think he will let me re-submit it?

There were a couple notable wars and what not, so I'll try and throw them in there.

Also I want to reply about the powers and abilities/weapons point you mentioned. To me there is a theme. Before they get to a certain age (varies a little) to learn how to use their powers, they still need to fight because their race is so brutal. Thus the weapons, I believe I mentioned they don't completely understand the pattern when it comes to colors and "Core's" So They won't know what to train them in until they can practice their powers, or show signs of (accidental) use.

So to me, they basically get to pick what they want to learn until they can focus on their main ability. He liked swords, so he exceled, but the bow was not as interesting, that's why he only has a decent skill with it, he's not like...Hawkeye or anything. As for his powers, his theme is psychic/ advanced mental, mixed with his normal demon magic. In an example, I know there are some abilities in there that don't fit the mental/psychic bill, but those are when just his demon magic mixes. For example: Enhanced strength. I see it as an ability that's there, that he doesn't need to concentrate on after he's achieved it, because it becomes intertwined with his magic. His magic is always underneath the surface, so when things tie into it, it's always 'there" but not as obvious.

(Did I explain that well?)

I wanted to put more detail in about the race, but I wasn't sure what counted as too detailed.....

thank you again. for the help and the complement! I did like how he came out. The coloring is horrible though. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.