4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Urban Fantasy, Horror
COME ONE. COME ALL.

Venture into the wilds of Siam and encounter wonders never before seen by Man. Seeking workers for expedition into the unknown! Prior experience overseas preferable. Must be of sound mental and physical constitution, and good temperament. Upon completion of 10 week tour, workers liable for reward of 3,000 English pounds. If interested, send correspondence to Charles Green at 450 Harman Place in Charing Cross, London.

These sorts of pleas are a dime a dozen. There seems no end of countries to plunder and explore. The blank parts of the map are filling in. There are heroisms to be found everywhere one looks.

And you need the money -- don't you?

The World
There isn't much different about the world. The year is 1898, England is still a juggernaut superpower and trade giant, and steam is the name of the game. Telegraph is the main means of communication across the sea, and letters are still delivered by hand. However, a dark undercurrent flows beneath the goings on of the world. There is war on the wind between Austria-Hungary and Russia as the Russians grow wary of the reaches of the Austro-Hungarian empire. And everyone knows, where there's war, there's crows….

That said, machinery has come a long way. There are now diggers and all-terrain vehicles, tanks and boats made for near every eventuality. War breeds necessity, and it's necessity to have good vehicles and equipment. Steamships and trains are the fastest modes of transport possible, with the fastest steamship able to go from London to New York in little under two days. However, everything runs on steam power, as the gas fields have long been abandoned after the great Egypto-Briton war, with Egypt coming out as the victor. Telegraph is still the main means of correspondence with any kind of speed, though radio waves have just been considered as a form of communication. Much of the world remains undeveloped, though China has recently become an incredibly powerful trader. To the west, America remains a rugged, untested country full of backwater populists and Indian natives, a land of opportunity -- and savagery.

The only country in Asia besides China which has not become some form of colony is Siam, the Jewel of Southeast Asia. Boasting a king styled in Western fashions, Siam remains three parts wild to each part civilized. A small country with many ocean ports, it is heavy with jungles -- and perhaps untold riches. Particularly, the medical trade has become ever more interested in the rainforest and its wealth of plants,
which are used more now than ever in different medicines. It is even rumored that there is a plant in that jungle that can even stave off the ravages of death...
Roles

At present, only 9 positions are open on this expedition. The expedition organizer, Mr. Green, is looking for the following:

(1) Doctor: You are responsible for making the medical most of your pitiful least. As typical of these expeditions, men will be breaking fingers, slicing open thumbs, catching malaria, and complaining of certain diseases procured from the local women. It is your job to keep the crew healthy, even if all you have are toothpicks, gauze, and some whiskey. NPC (POSSIBLE ROLE)

(1) Navigator: Knowing where you are going is quite important on most expeditions. Those few which do not need a navigator hire one anyways. Your ability to navigate by compass or constellation makes you invaluable, and thus you can be assured that if there is a mutiny -- typically a healthy assumption -- you will most definitely be spared. TAKEN BY @Pahn

(1) Chronicler: Many an adventurer has found they lose the vast majority of their evidence in boat crashes, thievery, and encounters with natives. As the chronicler, you ensure that evidence is captured in photographic or written form on every day of the journey. It is possible you may already be employed by a news agency, or that you are a freelancer salivating at that three thousand English pounds. TAKEN BY @Red Thunder

(1) Cook: Napoleon once said that an army marches on its stomach, and this cannot be more true in an expedition. Often, you will have to make do with what is in the chuck truck, as well as finding food that will please the vast majority of the crew on this trip. You may find culinary creativity will serve you well once the stores begin to run out and lemur becomes the prime dish on the menu. OPEN

(2) Rifleman: You are the main line of defense against many of the dangers in the jungle, be those tigers, angry natives, or even one of your own. Without you, the crew is exposed to the elements and vagaries of the jungle. You will probably make very, very many friends. Unfortunately, you may also be the path of least resistance where danger is involved. 1 OF TAKEN BY @Kuno

(1) Botanist: You are the moneymaker of this trip. With your vast knowledge of plants, you will not only help the cook procure plants and fruits that will help shore up the stores you have to carry with you, you will also be expected to look for any medicinally important plants to collect and take back -- or anything unusual flora-wise. OPEN

(1) Guide : The hope is that where English sensibilities fail, your own savvy will prevail. Whereas the Navigator guides the expedition through maps, you guide the expedition through the real obstacles on the ground, like fording large rivers or recognizing the signs of dangerous tribesmen. After all, you can't expect a bunch of poffs to know the difference between a harmless ganda snake and a cobra. OPEN

The Skeleton

For those interested in any of these positions, please fill out the following:

Code:
[size=7]CHARACTER NAME || ROLE[/size][imga=right]YOUR IMAGE (Victorian photographs/paintings preferred -- absolutely no cartoon or anime images)[/imga]
[size=4]Medical Report[/size]
[LIST]
[*]Age
[*]Sex 
[*]Height/Weight
[*]Country of Origin
[*]Distinguishing Features (In case of postmortem identification)
[/LIST]

[size=4]Curriculum Vitae[/size]
[b]Work History:[/b]
[b]Personal Statement:[/b]
[b]Notable Skills:[/b]
[b]Notable Accomplishments:[/b]

[size=4]Character Assessment[/size]
[b]Temperament/Personality:[/b] 
[b]Psychological Evaluation:[/b]
[b]Possible Agitators:[/b]

I reserve the right to reject profiles for any reason. I may expand upon the number of people I will accept should good character concepts pass muster.

The Rules

The rules are quite simple:
  1. Iwaku TOS is to be upheld at all times. This includes all bluestar/redstar activity even within discord servers or ooc. This is not a starred RP, thus romantic encounters must fade to black.
  2. Courtesy is paramount. We're all here to have fun. Please respect fellow RPers.
  3. Autohitting, godmodding, player killing, etc. is not acceptable.
  4. Posting speed is a minimum of one post a week. I reserve the right to move other RPers should a character stall an interaction for over a week.
  5. Post length minimum is eight sentences.
  6. RL comes first! If there are issues, please PM me if you cannot post once a week.

This role play is still OPEN and accepting profiles. If you wish to join but do not want a role that is available, PM me a pitch of a character and we will see what we can do!

I am open to questions if you have any!

Last edited:
The thread is now OPEN and you are free to post!

Additionally, there is a discord! Here is the link: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

If the link expires, just message me, and I will give you a new one!

Hey-o. Dunno if this was on purpose or I'm stupid or something, but I think the IC thread is in Group Info and Sign-Ups instead of the actual IC section for group RP?
Also the @ thing for us didn't seem to work toward the new thread, had ta look through your profile for postings oddly... Well. I mean, it didn't work for *me*

The @ thing didn't actually work for me either. I think probably because it was inside a spoiler tag (which is fair but). I only noticed on accident lmao-

Oh crap I had no idea they stopped working I spoilers. WELP. I'll link you guys the thread in here as well.

Reactions: Red Thunder
The Discord link is expired :o also, if you edited the post after you tagged people, the tag will not go through!

• Useful
Reactions: A.O. Taku
PETER O'KEEFE || RIFLEMAN

Medical Report

• Sex: Male
  • Height/Weight: 5'9/170 lbs
  • Country of Origin: Galway, Ireland
  • Distinguishing Features: Peter has perpetually ruddy cheeks, giving him the look of someone always out in the cold. His eyes burn an unearthly green from a rugged face. There are a few faded yet prominent whiplash marks criss-crossing his back--courtesy of a stout, Catholic upbringing. In his pocket, he always carries a copy of the Bible, which is written completely in latin. Not that Peter minds--he's illiterate anyways. Simply its presence is the one thing that comforts him.

Curriculum Vitae

History: Peter never knew his father. Like most Irish bastards, he was raised at one of the many nunneries dotting the landscape. His in particular--Our Lady of Mercy--was almost overrun with fatherless children and disgraced, single mothers. In the sea of faces that flooded the nunnery, it was hard for any individual to stand out. But Peter certainly made his mark throughout those hallowed halls. Unlike the other children there, his mother willingly gave him up. She was a rich Englishwoman, albeit a promiscuous one. A wild affair with an Irish sailor resulted in a pregnancy, and rather than be the scandal of her family, she decided to get rid of the boy before it was too late. Peter was an unwanted child, and he knew it; his childhood was filled with troublesome behavior and wild fights, as if he wanted to beat out his fury on the grounds themselves. At age sixteen, he finally ran away from the convent and picked up a job loading shipments at the dockyards. They paid him miserably for it, so he began supplementing his income with illegal boxing matches at the warehouse after hours. He was an instant hit. But after a fateful fight with the son of a British noble--he broke the boy's jaw--the boxing matches were broken up, and he was tried and convicted.

Surprisingly, his mother was the one to bail him out. By now she was guilt-ridden and unhappy, having been trapped in a miserable marriage and having no other child but him. Determined to make him successful, she pulled some strings and got him signed onto an army expedition headed for Africa. He was twenty, but still new to the world. He had never been anywhere but Galway. So it was with wide-eyed expectations that Peter was thrust into the heart of the wild. Initially, he was sign-on simply to protect cargo, but as they reached further into the depths of Congo, disease and tribal attacks made their numbers dwindle. After their main rifleman fell ill, Peter was hastily used as his replacement, and the small entourage quickly recognized his skill. It then occurred to Peter that he could potentially make a career for this. So he signed on for another one, and another one, and ever more projects, until the jungles and plains of the world began to blur together. Personally, he has no stomach for what he's doing, especially helping out the English empire. But he's come to realize that perhaps this is simply just what he does best. His last job was spent helping out an expedition into the northern reaches of Australia. An unfortunate incident left them stranded in the desert. They were rescued soon enough, but the event has done absolutely nothing but fuel his unease for the job.

Work History:

Peter spent a year being trained in the army before sent to his first detail, a small unit in England. Then, he spent a year in the Congo before being sent to India for six months. He's taken on and off jobs in the countries of Congo, Angola, and Nigeria for a few years before returning home to Ireland. After his mother died, he took his most recent job in northern Australia.

Personal Statement: "Oh, sure. I'm a wee bit poor and a tad stupid, and damned be me if I ain't the luckiest Irishman alive, so why not travel across the world to hell for a few thousand bloody English pounds, huh? If I don't die there, the Lord might as well take me now."

Notable Skills:

• A quick thinker and strategist. Takes curveballs to his plans in a stride.
  • Has decent skills with firearms, although he's more of a pistol man himself
  • Has been in and out of fights--staged and on the street--most of his life, so is quite capable of fisticuffs if the need arises.
  • Light of foot and limber. Good for ambushes and scouting ahead.
  • Has general knowledge of different biomes and civilizations.

Notable Accomplishments: Refer to History and Work History

Character Assessment

Temperament/Personality: His background deeply rooted in Catholicism, Peter is somewhat of a superstitious nature. His job requires him to be cautious, but superstition has made him look for danger in the smallest of things. He wouldn't consider himself paranoid, simply vigilant; a single cloud in the sky could mean rain, and when he's set his mind to it that it's dangerous to go out, it's almost impossible to dislodge him from his position. He has a high regard for human life, and while he may dislike Englishmen and their reckless expeditions, he'd sooner cut off his arm than see one of them get hurt on his watch. Not to say he won't complain the whole journey through.

But outside of dangerous conditions, Peter is quite an outgoing man. His time in the orphanage has left him friendly enough to interact with anyone, even the most prickly of characters. He is also a shameless flirt, albeit harmless. He never is very serious in his pursuit of most women. Most of the time he just likes to see them smile, and a quick "hey beautiful" seems to always do the trick.

Psychological Evaluation: Although he'll never admit to it, Peter suffers greatly from loneliness. He hates being by himself for great periods of time, and is quick to latch onto others when the opportunity arises. Due to his own troubled beginnings, some part of him is always worried that the people he grows close to will someday leave and never return. This is partly why he continually travels the world, never staying in one place too long, never knowing another person long enough to love them. He is a worrier by nature, and has an almost nervous energy about him and in his interactions with people. Whether he likes you a lot or likes you little matters not--he frets over the safety of others, which causes him great stress.

Possible Agitators: Recklessness and arrogance are never good things to have on an expedition. Individually, both are detrimental to safety, but put those two together, and you've got yourself a fine Englishman. In the seven years he's spent touting those pompous people around, he's never seen more idiotic, stupid, and impulsive actions in his life. If members of his party insist on not listening and doing things he knows is dangerous, you will feel the wrath of him a thousandfold. Due to his vigilance--and sometimes fury--he hasn't had anyone die while with him...yet.

He's also angered by blatant blasphemy and mockery of Christianity. You can call him any number of Irish slurs and get no reaction from him. In fact, he may even simply laugh at some of them. At worst, he'll get irritated and tell you to piss off. But take the Lord's name in vain? Now you're asking for a fight.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Himilo
I don't know what's wrong, but Iwaku--or maybe my computer--is being irritating and not letting me post the pic. Until I figure out the problem, I put a link to the character pic in his name.

Last edited:
@Kuno Very nice! I did see the pic and I approve of it. Rifleman 2 is now TAKEN and will be added to the roster.

Feel free to post!

I don't know what's wrong, but Iwaku--or maybe my computer--is being irritating and not letting me post the pic. Until I figure out the problem, I put a link to the character pic in his name.
I think it's just because the URL for the image doesn't have any .jpeg or .png so it's not being detected as an image. Try uploading it on Imgur :)

• Thank You
Reactions: Kuno
I think it's just because the URL for the image doesn't have any .jpeg or .png so it's not being detected as an image. Try uploading it on Imgur :)

Ok, so I uploaded it on imgur and tried to use that link to insert it, and it's still not working. Am I supposed to use a specific link??? I swear computers hate me haha

@Kuno There are a couple of different kinds of links on imgur, so what you want specifically is the BBCode share link. There's a drop down menu that will open to a bunch of share links.

• Thank You
Ok, so I uploaded it on imgur and tried to use that link to insert it, and it's still not working. Am I supposed to use a specific link??? I swear computers hate me haha

I had the same trouble. It... it might have something to do with the CS skeleton. I recommend wiping the slate and trying to just post the pic. If it works, maybe try custom arranging your CS.

• Thank You
If you post your image url with your CS I can peek at your code to see what's happening :)

Actually, I figured out the problem! I had an extra space between the code and the image eheheheh...//shot
But thanks for the all the help! Now let me quit wasting time and post already

Reactions: Pahn
Kannika || Guide
Medical Report
  • Sex: Female
  • Height/Weight: 148cm, 49kg
  • Country of Origin: Ko Chang, Siam
  • Distinguishing Features (In case of postmortem identification): Kannika has frigatebird-black hair that reaches down to her shoulders; short by European standards, but longer than the standard crew cut so ubiquitous in most of central Siam. Her skin is a warm café au lait, and she rarely wears shoes. Her clothing is an ensemble of a thick deep red chong kraben wrapped from her waist down to her mid-calf, while a cross-hatched cotton chest wrap swathed her lissom frame from her chest down to her waist. Her ears are pierced with simple silver stars, while she bears no other jewellery. Partly concealed by the hair at the nape of her neck is a delicately formed tattoo of nine spires, or Gao Yord.

Curriculum Vitae
Work History: While her skills of jungle and sea were inherited from her local father, her wanderlust came squarely from her Danish mother. She was ill-suited to the life of a traditional Siamese wife in a remote tribal village, and still less suited to seeking out her mother's family and trying to make a life in a European or Colonial city. Though she often returned home to visit her parents on Ko Chang, she was simply happiest working as a guide for expeditions around south east Asia. Whether a merchant looking to trade around the coast of Borneo or a wealthy explorer keen to journey in search of the road less travelled, Kannika finds her skills and growing experience most welcome.

Personal Statement: "My home is a land of a thousand wonders. Allow me to share them with you."

Notable Skills: Kannika speaks many of the languages of south and central Siam, as well as a smattering of those less common to the north. While she has never studied the noble art of cartography, to her the region is a social patchwork of landscape, rivers and peoples. She is a talented boatswoman on the rivers and sheltered seas of the area, though she would be small use on the great ocean-going vessels of the west. She can hunt, fish and gather; she knows which plants provide good food, rope and shelter, and also which are poisonous and should usually be avoided.

Notable Accomplishments: To her, Kannika's most notable achievements are to operate within both Colonial and Traditional society while avoiding both offence and matrimony. Barring that, most of her most notable accomplishments were utterly unrecognised outside the local and professional society of the region. Hers was not a role that commonly garnered glory - merely keeping travellers alive in unfamiliar places, and keeping explorers from getting lost as they "discovered" areas her people had lived in for thousands of years. One of her peoples, anyway.

Character Assessment
Temperament/Personality: Kannika is softly spoken by nature and reluctant to put herself forward. The exception comes when she understands she knows what needs to be done, and that those more usually in charge do not. She is conflicted by her dual heritages when in a situation that disparages one and holds the other as king, but mostly feels that it is a strength that she can step smoothly from one to the other. Kannika has known no true romance in her life, only one youthful passion and one liaison born more of obligation on her side than genuine feeling. She is content with this, believing it simply does not lie in her nature. In time she will find she is mistaken - that is, if she lives long enough.

Psychological Evaluation: While some are content to rest on their laurels and accept their strengths, the half-Danish girl is possessed by a fascination for the strange and the unknown. This sometimes draws her to travelling companions with unusual knowledge, leading her to pick their brains in a way that has at times been misconstrued. Kannika has never sought glory for its own sake, nor power. Perhaps this is simply lack of opportunity, yet she is content with her life and in her own unusual way has little interest in changing what makes her happy.

Possible Agitators: Being forced to decide between her heritages, or being derided for either. The desecration of a holy site or monastery. Someone showing a romantic interest in her that she cannot readily demur and avoid. The dismissal of traditional ways as barbarism.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Anguissette your character has been reviewed and accepted! Please feel free to post! The second guide is now TAKEN.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Anguissette
The role play has now been REOPENED TO ROLES. Those interested can submit their profiles here!

• Love
Reactions: Red Thunder