Dungeons Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
After introducing herself to the new group of travelers, and thanking them for saving her life, Vivian gave her final goodbyes to her friends from a distance and traveled on. She explained - somewhat - why she was traveling light, only telling the same little story she was told to say over and over again to keep others' curiosity dead. She knew, somehow, that these people were trustworthy, for a few of them just went out of their way to help her out without a question or price. But, first impressions can be misleading at times. She'll have to learn more about them before trusting them further.

All in all, Vivian was thrilled that good fortune fell upon her. Everyone was very nice and held interesting stories to tell. They all traveled peacefully, chatting about their prospects and why they were going so far from home to gain them. Soon though, after a long, weary day's beating, they reached a small town for rest and revisions.

Vivian was beat. That attack took more out of her than it should, but she did not wish to be a burden to the others and kept her pains to herself. She watched as the others split apart to manage themselves through the town. Vivian was in no mood to walk any further and opted to follow Pieter to a nearby tavern. Trae followed her, seeing her hidden weariness just as easily as words on a page.

The tavern was small, dingy; a typical spot for the unruling sort. Vivian has never been to such a place, and feared the idea of lingering too long there. But, as of now, she was with good company. To stay for the moment for a rest would not be too bad. Like all the other travelers there, she settled down in an unoccupied seat, releasing a heavy sigh.

"I've never felt such worn in all my days," she shook her head while casually wrapping her warm cloak around her. "But, then again, this wasn't a pleasant day's walk." Not wanting to show her sorrow, or weariness any further, Vivian scanned around the room carefully and took in a new outlook on her situation. "Now, I just got to figure out what to do with myself now..."

Emma got there as the action had ended. She looked around sheepishly. "Sorry guys, got caught up back there." she said, knowing she had screwed up. She went up to the group and asked "What now?"

"Well Emma, I guess we just relax here, partake in some spirits and a good meal, and well...get to know each other more." Trae settled in a chair at Vivian's table and stretched his arms out to loosen his tight muscles. "We've traveled this far together, might as well know why, right?"

Vivian nodded in agreement, offering the other chair for Emma. She hid her worry well about telling about herself, but how else will she learn that they can be trusted?

Last edited:
A hulking figure moves into the tavern. Despite the greatly toned body, she had a gentle face that is greatly inappropriately for such a monster. She looks among the tavern, trying to find the other adventurers she always heard about back where she previously lived in.

Looking over to Vivian and Emma, the bugbear woman gave a wave and walked forward. Sweat poured down from her brow as she approached. "So... This is where adventurers gather?"

Emma sat in the chair next to Vivian and Trae. She was a bit nervous about talking about herself, but that was normal. She was ashamed of her breakdown earlier that day, and it brought tears to her eyes, but she quickly willed them away. She smiled and offered to go first, but as a very built woman approached, she was huge, muscle wise, but her face was gentle, Emma smiled. "I guess so!" she said, her face still having some of it's childish looks, Emma still looked like a little kid.

Pieter sat across from Vivian, to the left of Emma. He looked apprehensively at his hands for a minute as the two ladies and Trae conversed, but started when the bugbear approached to his left.

Pieter knew what a bugbear was, but he had heard they were semi-intelligent at best, and this one could speak intelligibly. "So... This is where adventurers gather?" the creature asked. Pieter shrugged as Emma replied. This may be where adventurers gather, but he hadn't seen any-

Pieter paused in his thoughts and looked up. Around him were a dark elf, a fighting girl, a mysterious woman, a talking bugbear...they were the adventurer type. Had he been traveling with an adventuring party all day and not realized it?

Pieter pulled out his purse and spilled the few coins he had into his hand. "I'll get us something to eat," he offered, and stood to go to the counter.

Vivian and Trae both looked up at the newcomer with amazement, but holding two totally different concepts there of. Vivian wondered if she was from one of the Bugbear tribes in the northeast. She's heard of their rather unique culture and always was curious about their kind. Trae, on the other hand, attempted to consider just how long would it take for a average man to make a woman of such - magnitude - happy.

With Emma's response to the woman, Trae grinned and presented another seat for the newcomer. "Adventures, we are; yes, indeedy. Well, all except the fair Lady here whom we just rescued hours before."

Vivian blushed, "Oh, a Lady I might be, bur fair I'm not. Just...a bit unaware of the workings of the world. It's been a while since I've been so far away from home..." Her voice and thoughts traveled away, unknowingly leaving the conversation within the group to converse in one all alone. Realizing where she was, Vivian rerouted her thoughts and smiled apologetically to the others. "Um...my name is Vivian, by the way. Vivian Satlazar."

"It was our pleasure," Trae nodded, only wishing to indulge further into this woman's full story. The Drow could see that she was keeping things to herself. That truly was understandable; she didn't know them from Green's Thumbprint, but they've gained some respect from her for their heroism. He figured she'll reveal her troubles in due time. So, Trae introduced himself to the newcomer as well, pointing towards Emma, Serei, and Toma. He introduced Pieter before he stood to purchase some food for the party. He mentioned Markus and Collette as well, who were out doling in town.

"Wait, I'll help with that." Vivian stood up and followed Pieter to the bar where the barkeeper minded his dingy glasses and rough barmaids. She know she'd already thanked the group for their assistance, but the person she felt truly obligated to express her gratitude was the one who almost died to save her. Vivian removed her money pouch from her bell sleeve and added her gold to the stack Pieter held. "I truly am thankful you and your friends had been on the road. I don't know what would have happened to me if you weren't. This is the least I can do to help out."

Trae watched as the fair Lady left the table after Pieter before turned towards the brute of a woman with a warm grin,
"So, tell ol' Trae here, what brings you about searching for adventure?"

Pieter looked at the gold coins, then to Vivian, with surprise. Not since his youth had he seen such a sum, and the gold made his copper coins nearly worthless by comparison. With a glance about the tavern, Pieter feared the sight of gold could make some of the rougher characters somewhat violent. He quickly shoved the money back into Vivian's hand, taking a single gold coin for food. "Thank you," Pieter said quietly. With a nod to Vivian's chair he added, "Would you sit back down?"

Showing a gold coin in a place this poor could be risky, but being found with a whole handful could put a target on one. Pieter did not want another target on Vivian, or on himself for that matter, so he waited until the lady was seated before trying his purchase.

As Pieter slipped the gold coin into his purse long with his own coins, he thought back to the hagglers who used to visit his father's shop. "They only pretend to be poor," Irem had grumbled after they had left, "They're no strangers to fine clothing; they're just cheapskates." Pieter thought it was time he tried some pretending.

"My friends and I are having a little celebration," Pieter told the innkeeper, "I'd like a nice meal and drinks for all of us. There should be nine of us once the others arrive." Pieter decided to include the bugbear. He sat his purse on the counter expectantly.

The bartender raised an eyebrow. When a large group came, they generally purchased a single large plate for all to share. "So ye can afford individual plates?" he asked Pieter with skepticism. The skinny fellow didn't look like he could afford much.

One by one, Pieter pulled out his copper coins and set them on the counter. Then he paused and pulled out the gold coin. "I guess-well, is this enough?" Pieter asked, and gripped the leather bag to show that it was empty.

With a smirk, the innkeeper plucked the gold coin from Pieter's hand. "That'll do nicely," he said, then, as if an afterthought, scooped up the copper coins as well. "Ye shall have your feast," the man promised, and busied himself in preparation. Pieter returned to his seat, irked that the man had taken more than his share, but not willing to cause commotion to retrieve a few coins.

The bugbear felt rather shy, already being included among these new strange outcasts like her. Feeding her was a sign that she should probably help out some other way than being the sneaky brute. "W-well... Thanks for your somehow already gained respect. My name is Sashral Quietfeather. Not a name my family gave me, but one my old owner gave me when I was a slave."

Despite the hard life slaves usually get, the bugbear did not seem phased by the very idea of slavery. She did not twitch or flinch at the name nor did she show any anger or rage against the idea. It was simple, carefree "I was a slave" that came from her bright yellow lips, which contrasted with her skin, which was the color of camel's fur coat.

With a sigh, she slowly sat on the chair, having it creak under the large amount of weight which was visibly present from the brutish gal. What seems to be three sharp peeked out from behind her dress. No doubt, hidden behind her dress, was a relatively-small pitchfork. She probably broken off most of the handle to make it one handed.

"Thank you," Pieter said quietly. With a nod to Vivian's chair he added, "Would you sit back down?"

Vivian was a bit confused at Pieter's response, but she did as he asked and returned to the desk. A few strange eyes followed her as she did, but she didn't notice. As the bard sitting on a stool under a dim light strum his lute with another rendition of glory stories and tales in song, Vivian settled back down, catching some of the Bugbear's personal tale.

Astonished, Vivian gasped,
"What amazement, Sashral! You carry yourself content and humble for someone who was placed in such a rough category in life. How did you survive and escape in order to be sitting here with us today?"

"Survive? Escape?" She looks honestly confused at such a question. "All I did was work and carry some things around and he gave me food, a warm bed, and good company too. And I did not escape. Some other slaves killed him. They were ungrateful."

She was not lying nor did show gave any symptoms of such an action. The bugbear was calm and collected in both voice and posture, which meant these were her true and honest feelings. "Even had somebody I liked too She was tall, had the fairest red hair and the smell of grass on her skin. Now she lies under the grass..."

Vivian considered Sashrai's words and understood how this woman was able to find something positive out of a situation others considered horrible and unkind. Truly, her master was a nice one, but indeed, it would be amazing for a Bugbears to notice that. Quite frankly, Vivian noticed how intelligent this particular Bugbear is - for a Bugbear that is. And besides that, she was a rather peaceful, comfortable soul to chat with. Vivian smiled warmly at the woman and gave her a respectable nod, "In a situation like that, it is difficult to see the good within it - to be grateful for the blessings you have - even when you're standing in the dark. So sad that you lost your friends due to this."

Trae leaned back in his chair, pulled out a long pipe from the messenger bag he traveled with, and stoked it with a twig he lit from the candle sitting on their table. "Ungrateful! That's an interesting way to think about slavery, but both of you are right. It's always best to count your stars, even on a cloudy day."

The bugbear frowned sadly at their opinion at slavery and scratched behind her head. "Is slavery such a bad thing? I had no idea... Oh well... Anyways, where are you guys from? I shared my life story so I might as well hear your stories as well!" She tried to perk herself up, so that sad frown turned into a sad smirk on her face. Maybe it was confusion on her face however. The three prongs coming out of her maid dress showed a bit more after a change of position. It was a "gently" used pitchfork.

Emma nodded as Trae introduced her. She looked at Sashrai intently as she spoke. She lowered her eyes when she said the other slaves were ungrateful. Such awesome humility and gratefulness in such a simple creature. She looked up and smiled at the Bugbear. "It's always good to look at the bright side of things." When Sashrai asked about the life stories she looked down, she wasn't looking forward to sharing hers, but they probably wanted to know why she had broken down. Colette wasn't even there to help, even the presence of a new friend helps her to keep things together. She looked up and started her story.

"A long time ago, my family was a good one. My Mama was the glue to our family. She kept us together. About 8 years ago, she was killed in an accident..." she trailed off for a moment to get herself together. She always choked when she talked about her mother. "My father took to drinking. When Mother was alive, he was the gentlest, kindest man you would ever meet....but when he started to drink he turned mean. Drunk, he would do horrible things. I would try to take care of him, but get swore at and beat for it. You all saw him back there, I finally decided to leave, when I saw you guys heading out." There. She was done. She got up abruptly, "I need to take a walk, I'll be back in a few." she said, her voice quivering very slightly. Turning, she left the group and set off at a slow jog. Jogging always helped clear her head. Tears started to slowly seep from her eyes, she let them flow when she was far enough from the group.

Pieter watched Emma go with a trace of sadness in his eyes. He could barely remember his mother; he had only been five when she died. But he had a more recent loss, and Emma's words made him realize he may have done the same as her father had he been able to afford it.

The travelers' meals began to arrive. Pieter started on his portion slowly, chewing the meat as if in deep concentration. As he realized his hunger, his speed increased. Realizing how ravenous he may be appearing, Pieter paused with some embarrassment and glanced at the others while taking a drink.

Axin, finding the small group to be amusing, took a seat next to Pieter, kicking his feet up and leaning back in the chair. "You might want to slow down when your eating, lest you choke..." he said, giving Pieter a small, sharp toothed grin. Some of the other bar goers were a bit nervous with Axin's sudden interest in the adventurers, and continued to avoid his eyes.

Emma returned from her jog, her eyes slightly red. Returning to her seat, she silently dug into her portion of food. It was honestly the best thing she'd ever had in years, ever since Mama died. She ate slowly, savoring each piece, washing it down with some water. She gazed at the newcomer, subconsciously checking for her dagger hidden at her thigh. Once securing that it was still there, she smirked at the stranger. "Who are you?" she asked abruptly, not caring if she sounded rude. She was tired of playing the nice girl, if she was to survive in a world such as this, she would need to suck it up. She would need to survive. That meant no more Mrs. Nice Person.

The bugbear was a bit shocked from the story the young girl gave, although most of the shock was mirroring the others. In reality, while she knows it was bad she did not know WHY. Deciding to shake off the thoughts of why it is so bad, she blinked and gave a soft sigh. "W-well... I'm sorry to hear that..."

Thankfully for the awkward, inexperienced bugbear woman; she decided to turn to Axin. She brushed a hand through her wild, red hair and sighed softly before talking to the newest newcomer of the party. "Well hello there, who are you?" Her head began to tilt as she took on a more curious, childlike look upon her yellowish face.

Seeing how the food entered within the sorrowful conversation at such a time proved to Vivian that possibly continuing the topics discussed wasn't such a good idea. The gods knew better - a time will come when such topics are appropriate. Regardless, she felt better about Emma and Sashrai, and even Trae and Pieter. Their hearts were not cast in greed or envy. That was very important to her and what she keeps secret. And as she dug into the meal sat before her, her confidence in the path her feet have carried her proved, once again, that the gods knew just where she needed to be at just the right time. Even though her heart was still heavy with the loss of her two friends, it also swelled at the prospects of new friends.

"I'm sorry to hear that too, Emma," Vivian gave the girl a bright grin. "But the past won't follow you any longer. I believe you've found your true way, and there's no harm it that. All else will be forgiven and healed, in due time." Trae nodded, for he knew the just of such a comment, realizing this mystery woman was one of faith other than her own two hands.

The women of the table registered a new person stepping forward at the mention of adventure. Another wandering soul looking for excitement, she thought as she took in this new person. It was obvious to her worldly knowledge; this man was some sort of pirate or tradesman. They rarely have a positive reputation, but Vivian knew better to just read the covers. You can never tell what hides underneath.

Pieter was alarmed by Axin's nonchalant approach. The man was near Pieter's age, but he looked like a pirate, and that was liable to make anyone uneasy. Pieter glanced between his companions and saw that they were more curious than frightened at this stranger's approach. Still, he scooted in his seat ever so slightly away from Axin.

"Do you come here often?" Pieter asked the pirate. It was likely he was a regular; perhaps he had a hobby of approaching travelers like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.