Dungeons Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
The door of the tavern swung open and Markus entered, looking disheveled and more than a little worried. He sat down next to the others and immediately set his arms down on the table and his face into his open palm.

"Sorry, I had to deal with some, ah... Family business," Markus chuckled slightly and smiled as he looked up to the others, then to the two new people. He almost jumped again at the sight of the bugbear, but quickly reasserted himself. These were strange times and he had to get used to it.

"Heh, sorry miss. Not used to seeing your kind around, is all. I'm Markus, current leader of this little band," he said, though he didn't sound particularly confident when he said leader. "And you two are...?"

She looks over to Markus with a bright smile upon her tusked face. She stood up and bowed while he hands tugged down her maid dress to prevent any accidents from happen. She was a tall, younger lass and was at least better groomed than most bugbears. Her long, red hair was still wild and she was still that sickly yellow color like most bugbears. However, she wasn't nearly as furry. Just having the body hair of a female dwarf. "I understand that our kind is not usually accepted for their low intelligence. My name is Sashral Quietfeather. Tis a pleasure to meet you."

There was a lot going on, and all Vivian could do was watch while she ate. Pieter was striking up a conversation with the pirate-like individual that just added himself to their little crew, and even Markus returned, introducing himself to Sashrai as he sat. Vivan was intrigued at how easy it was to hide oneself within a crowd; they just seem to gather together on their own - all for the sake of adventure. It was an amazing phenomenon, one she was unaccustomed to. She's never had so many people around her before, she couldn't be happier. The only problem that stood before her now, besides gaining trust in the two new people that might continue traveling with them, was the awkward situation of telling them her story.

"As sure as I'm standin' 'ere! It's not oftin that I see such a sight, but I know gold when I do see it!"

The three men sitting on the opposite side of the stage sat and mumbled about this new possibility. They eyed the group, catching words here and there about scouting on an adventure of sorts. There's been a lot of that these days; strangers allying together and heading to god knows where to find god knows what. The three miners never considered traveling themselves since they have families to tend to, but to take what others had didn't sound too bad. They were honest men, but with the times as they were, with demons of all shapes and sizes destroying what little man creates from his two hands, these poor men were - shall we say, desperate. If they were not able to gain a donation from the kind Lady, perhaps they can persuade the group to share what they did have.

The three stood, downed the ale still left in their mugs to boost their confidence, and grabbed their work tools as if they were leaving for the night. But as they headed toward the exit, instead of leaving - they surrounded the small bunch of young adventurers with a dangerous aloft in their eyes.

"We don't mean any trouble," the stout one with the red beard began, giving everyone eyes contact before lowering his gaze upon Vivian. "But, we're in the lookin's of an investment from one, such as yourself. Could you spare...a few...trinkets to assist in our survivals?"

It was a strange request, one Vivian was confused on how to answer. "I'm...sorry gentlemen, but I'm not sure as to what you're referring."

Reactions: AAB
"He's meaning to get you to share some of your funds," Trae stated with a uncomfortable look in his eyes, "Or force ya out of them."

Vivian looked up at the men with the same discomfort, "I don't mean to offend, but I rather not...assist you. I'm invested in my friends here, since I owe them a debt. Therefore, I'm sorry but my answer is no."

The strangers looked around, noting the few in the group who looked well enough to manage a weapon well regardless of their youth. "Well, doesn't hurt to ask, right?" One of the men said before bowing to the group. "We best be on our way then." And with that, he lead them out the door.

Vivian sighed relieved, "Now I understand," she nodded to Pieter. Her innocence about the outside world wasn't helpful. "Good thing they left."

"Oh, I don't believe we're out of the woods yet," Trae mumbled. "Leaving this pub might not be as easy as walking in. We'll have to find another exit, or walk into a possible ambush." He looked around the table. "Got any ideas?"

Last edited:
"He's right," a hooded man approached the table. "They already boast several battle-hardened victims. It would be a shame to see even more die pointlessly."

He breathed in a deep sigh before looking at their perplexed faces. Removing his hood to reveal his sunset orange eyes and his short but wavy brown hair, he bowed slightly - enough to show his respect to them, but assuring that he did not make himself seem to be subservient.

"I am more than willing to give you a way out if you only tell me what it is you are running from," he said, closing his eyes in a long blink before reopening them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phi Chisym
Trae nodded at the newcomer, "Well, that's settles it then. We were just set out to travel for adventure sake, but then we rescued Lady Vivian here from a fate unbecoming, and now this. Exactly why are these men targeting you, my dear?"

Vivian looked around the table innocently, "I just offered to pay for our meal. But, Pieter expressed to me how dangerous it was to show what I held in my possession. I guess, they felt the need to be gentlemanly-like in order to steal." She avoided the hooded man's eyes, fearing he was capable of reading her half response to his inquiry about running away from something.

"Alright then, sir. Who are you and why are you willing to help us escape another unfit situation?"Trae questioned, shaking a fork full of meat his direction before taking his bite. "No reason for us to trust a stranger without a name, now is it?"

Last edited:
The man stepped closer towards the table and kept an intent gaze on the woman who had been referred to as Lady Vivian. He narrowed his eyes in her direction to get a clearer look at her face, but she was deliberately avoiding meeting his gaze. He took a deep breath. He rose his shoulders to regain his posture, smirking, and then turned to face the young drow who had last addressed him.

"I have no name to astound the likes of you," the man spoke softly as he stood straight and still. "I offer you a way to evade your otherwise inevitable deaths, nothing more. I know that you are destined for greater things."

He nodded his head at the drow boy, before turning his gaze back to Lady Vivian.

Pieter's food caught in his throat when the three rough-looking men suggested taking something from Vivian. He relaxed more as they left, but finished his meal cautiously.

A hooded man made some references to his intentions, then Pieter spoke.

"Whatever danger might be about, I would like to avoid it," Pieter said as he looked the stranger in the eye. He didn't think this person knew those three, so they might be exchanging three enemies for one, or none for one...it would be a risk.

Pieter gave his companions another look, then looked back to the stranger and decided his friends could probably subdue the man if necessary.

After deciding to take the stranger's offer, Pieter asked Markus in a low voice, "Are we still making for the old fort?"

The bugbear just kept her head down before sighing. "I guess I can't go out the front door anymore."

She then sighs and stands up, getting the itch to pull out that pitchfork and charge out there but a tight maid dress isn't the best thing to take a mob on, let alone her skills with said improvised weapon. "I'll take the way to dodge inevitable death I guess."

She raises an eyebrow at Pieter, thinking she could take anyone on in a fair fight but doesn't say anything.

The man looked on as the group discussed the situation between themselves, his eyes still fixed on Lady Vivian, but his face was calm and emotionless. He then turned to the man who was best dressed and appeared a little better off than the others who had accompanied him. With a quick flick of the hands, he covered his dark hair with his hood and nodded as he heard the well-dressed man speak, then watched him give his companions a suspicious glance.

"You seem uneasy," the man stared dead into the seated man's eyes, as he heard him mutter something to one of his friends. "Please, rest assured, I have no ill intentions."

He then opened his mouth, as if to speak, and raised a single index finger on his right hand as he did so. Suddenly stopping himself, he placed his arm by his side and directed a soft smile in Lady Vivian's direction.

"I overheard one of you earlier introducing yourself as the 'current leader of this little band' to this lovely lady there," he said, indicating the bugbear with his open palm. "I can only wonder what your intentions are?"

Vivian sat like a porcelain statue, attempting, at best, to listen casually to the conversation while maintaining a visible distance between her and her awareness of the hooded stranger's orange eyes still transfixed upon her. It made her uneasy, but uneasiness only proved she had something to hide. She truly did not feel any dangerous auras falling from the man, nor did he stand in a manner noting such. But, as she's clearly learned from her rendezvous earlier, that eyes remained upon her regardless of what she does.

"I overheard one of you earlier introducing yourself as the 'current leader of this little band' to this lovely lady there," he said, indicating the bugbear with his open palm. "I can only wonder what your intentions are?"

Trae cleared his throat and stood up, having trouble doing so gracefully. He stretched as he walked around the table, heading towards the stranger with a warm grin across his face. "Sorry sir, that is only one of our new acquaintances who stumbled upon us while here," he lightly announced. Pointing across the table towards Marcus, he nodded, "There's our former leader, now leading us once again. His intentions are like the rest of ours; we just wish to step away from this place with no troubles, help each other find our feet, and make way to wherever it is our toes point."

Looking at the others, Trae chuckled, "Should we request his aid, as long as there's no pricey fee for such? Sale-swords are not cheap these days..."

"Should we request his aid, as long as there's no pricey fee for such? Sale-swords are not cheap these days..."

Before anyone else in the group could respond to that, the man quickly intervened and shook his head, stepping forwards so that he was next to the drow boy. He smiled at him, to politely request for the drow boy to step aside and allow him to speak. He then glanced at Lady Vivian once more, before scanning his eyes at the entire group.

"I ask for nothing of the sort," he said, standing tall and straight. "I have no desire for such a worthless thing as a coin, no matter how many, or of what material, you throw at me. I am satisfied simply upon hearing that your objective is to help one another find yourselves, and such a just motive cements my decision to assist you. However," he paused, and turned his eyes to Lady Vivian, "Could you say for sure that you all share this same purpose?"

This time the man's eyes and inquiry captured her attention, forcing Vivian to come face to face to whatever assumptions he's obviously read from her aura. Did he hold a distrust upon her? He just met them - which practically wasn't quite a meeting, as it was more a insertion of his presence upon the friendly collective. Vivian sat almost insulted, "I owe them my life!" She started, "My purpose before is the same as theirs now; and if they felt that my purpose was not synced, then they would not of allowed me to follow their path."

"I'm afraid you have lost me," he said, as he softly closed his eyes for a few seconds before reopening them. "I didn't individualise you personally when I made my statement. However, since you have jumped so quickly to the conclusion that I had done so and hurriedly rushed to defend your motives, I will place absolutely no suspicion on my mind whatsoever."

His gaze never diverted from Lady Vivian's eyes, and his gentle smile never left his face. He then turned back to face the drow boy, his smile fading a little, before once more averting his eyes to the one who had been pointed out as the band's leader. He nodded, to show respect, but then blinked hard again before speaking.

"As the leader of the group, I will leave it to you to make the difficult decision of who you are able to trust," he said, strengthening his smile once more. "Those thugs outside are very impatient, and become quite frustrated when they have to wait for their targets, so I will be seated on the table over there when you are ready to leave."

The man turned around and walked slowly to a table, where another pair of hooded people sat talking. He gave a final glance towards the group of adventurers before taking his own seat and endulging himself in their conversation.

Embarrassed, and completely fearful that she might have gave into revealing her secrets, Vivian looked down at her hands; one squeezing the fingers of the other like a snake devouring its tail. The stranger had stepped away, and he was probably the only one with the means to assist them from the predicament that, unfortunately, she's placed them in in the first place.

"I do apologize,' she spoke, giving all the companions her eyes. "I'm a bit uncomfortable with myself, I guess. If you all feel his aid will be of assistance, I have no problem with your decision. Please, don't think of me problem-some. I...have a lot on my mind."

Trae nodded and rubbed her forearm warmly, "T'is understandable, Vivian, with what you've been through already. Who knows what dangers you're passed before running into our lot." He gave the others a glance and a sparkling grin, "So, who's in on accepting his aid in getting the hell out of here? I, for one, am not a strong fighter, and those men did look mighty tough. So, what should we do?" He gave their leaders, if you will, a glance. There were a few who have stepped up from the very beginning on this journey, and to him, they were the ones to decide the group's fate.

Reactions: AAB
Sashral was completely dazed from the compliment, her pale yellow cheeks in a deep flush. Despite that, there was barely anything to milk from her. She just joined after all. After finally stopping with the blushing, she ould wrise up to her bare feet and sigh dreamingly. "T-Tis fine Miss Vivivan... But I'm thinking I can fight. Maybe I still have my race's sneakiness stuff or whatever."

The bugbear pulled out her pitchfork, and held it tightly in her hands. Her second fight, hopefully her thick skin and natural armor would protect her.

Once everyone present said their peace, Trae nodded and stood to his feet. "Well then, we are all in agreement. I shall retrieve our savior. Ya all better prepare to leave - preferably, without causing more of a stir." Trae turned and found the stranger, sitting among another set of hooded strangers deep in conversation. Trae cleared his throat, "Sorry to interrupt," he turned to the stranger. "It seems our little party accepts your aid, graciously, and apologizes for any confusion there of. Some of us," he chuckled slightly, "have already seen enough bloodshed thus far. But, the needs of all are more important, and we need to leave safely. You accept?"

Last edited:
"Indeed, I am willing to help," the man said, as he looked at his two hooded companions, before turning back to face the drow boy. He then placed both of his open palms on the table, pushing himself to a stand, before walking at a slow pace towards the table at which the band of adventurers had been seated around. "I am going to be quite straightforward with you. There are two ways for you to escape and I am imploring your sense of morality to decide which route you choose."

His companions also stood up, after finishing the wine in their glasses, and walked towards the man. They stopped directly behind him, with one on either side, and they both nodded in unison as a sort of greeting to those present at the table.

"There are only three exits to this tavern; the first being the main entrance which you entered through. The second is the door at the back. Both of these exits leave you exposed to the thugs. The third exit is through the basement of this tavern, as there is a corridor which has an opening just a few hundred metres away, far enough to avoid them." He then looked towards the drow and adjusted his posture, in order to seem somewhat less commanding. "The first option is the safer option. You can go through the corridor in the basement, although somebody is going to have to distract the bartender in order to do so. However, this means that the person left behind will have to make his own way into the basement without being spotted, and those thugs will be left to rob and kill more innocent people as they have done many times before."

He then glanced at Lady Vivian and softly said, "The second option is more risky, though nonetheless, more rewarding. Only half of you sneak through the basement, while the other half sends a single person as a decoy. This person should approach the thugs and lure them to attack, but the half of you who have exited through the basement must return to fight off the men. As they turn to fight you, the other half remaining in the tavern can charge and surround the thugs. This young boy here has informed me that you have already seen blood being spilled. If the thugs are spared, they will continue to kill. If you slay them, you can prevent any further killings and take into your own possession the loot which they have stripped from the corpses of their victims. Regardless, this second option could also put some of your own well-being at grave risk and it is very much up to you if you are willing to put your lives on the line in the name of the greater good."

He let the words sink in for a second, glancing at each member of the group individually in the space of a few seconds, before finishing his advice with a quick question. "So, what is it going to be?"

The group naturally turned towards Markus, who was their initial leader. He stood somewhat shocked, but quickly calmed his tensed stance to that of contemplation, weighing the odds of each of their options. "We don't wish to lose anymore than we should," he began. "Just like Pieter stated before - no fighting. We're only simple people seeing opportunity; we don't wish to fight to maintain what little we have. There's got to be another way to deal with this without such things."

Vivian looked around the group, knowing they've risked a lot to help her before. This was her chance to help them now by providing an option that needed no sacrifices. "I can...offer a decoy, in a way." She waited for the others who knew what she meant to catch on.

Trae grinned mischievously and rubbed his hands together, "Ahh, that's right! Lady Vivian, I believe I know exactly what you're thinking, and I like it!"

"What is she thinking, Trae?" Collette questioned, seeing as she really had no clue about the woman they rescued, except for the fact that she's the reason for their sudden need for an escape plan.

"I have a way to deter those men. I'm...an Illusionist, therefore, I can hold them at bay, throw their minds off of what their intentions are. But, that's only if they are weak enough to accept such suggestions. It's a tricky thing to gamble with, but if I can seize one, then perhaps..." She feared their judgement. In a world of magic and lore, the one thing people seem to fear more are those capable of reading their heartfires or teasing their dreams into nightmares. She understood, reason why she tends to keep her gift a secret. Nevertheless, the need to reveal it, once again, was present; they needed a chance and she had one. "I will be the decoy."

Last edited:
"I had hoped you would say that Lady Vivian," the man smiled a little. "You were truly the only one here who could provide as a decent decoy. Those thugs knew how much money you carried on your person. You are also a woman, therefore they will consider you an easy target, although I know that you are not to be underestimated."

He then turned to the leader of the group, who had been the one to suggest that they shouldn't fight the thugs. It seemed that Pieter, most probably the one who had accompanied Lady Vivian to the bar, was in favour of not fighting. Clearly there were some who were against saving future potential targets. He took a step closer to the group.

"I guess you can go in your own time," he said smiling at her. "Whenever you are ready, I will be too."

Status
Not open for further replies.